mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Niterider Digital Headtrip

What should I do with this system? It just won't die! I have not used this NiCad battery in YEARS. I charged it up around 3 weeks ago, and just recently got around to checking its runtime by leaving it on strobe. It just keeps flashing away for hours. I used to use the NiMh deck of card sized batteries and have long since burned through those. This battery is such a tank, that even if it works, I doubt I'll use this setup. Any ideas on what to do with all of this? Are there any inexpensive 6v batts that will work with the head (one of them stays on high all of the time, and must have the cable pulled to turn it off)? Should I just toss it all? Are any of the parts usable by anyone out there? Toss it all?

[IMG][/IMG]

hello pot? this is kettle
    I'm still using an older niterider- the cyclops. I like the warmer light of a halogen and use it for my helmet light. My original battery pack needed to sit for 10 years without being charged to finally die. If you're junking this stuff, I could use it for spare parts! I'm trying to get another of my old niterider systems working again.

Yes, the battery pack alone is a useful training tool- weighs almost as much as the bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Before I make that decision, do you know of any other batteries/chargers that might work?

hello pot? this is kettle
    I've just asked a similar question in another thread. Guess we'll find out together! Any nimh pack that fills the ah and voltage requirements should work. I built a 6 cell AA pack to use for shorter rides so I don't have to lug the brick around. But that was just nimh- nearly same specs as the big pack, batteries have been improving this whole time...

mtbr member
    Here you guys go

http://www.batteryspace.com/5vand6vr...ckmodules.aspx

or over volt with a standard 7.4v li-ion

Use at your own risk...

mtbr member
    Don't toss it. Use it, sell it on eBay, or give it to a friend.
    To the troll mobile, away...

rack admirer

Many good uses

I, too own a digital head trip that runs 80 minutes on 15W.

-Mount it to your lawn mower, don't waste precious day light on this chore.
    -Bring a friend night riding
    -Redundancy. throw it in your pack on rides. just in case.
    -Makes a good flash light
    MCM # 57

Lighten up.
    I too have an old Digital Headtrip (Revision 2.0, October 1999). Still fires up. Would love to find an extra battery for it. Contacted Niterider today to see if they'd toss me one on the cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman
    I too have an old Digital Headtrip (Revision 2.0, October 1999). Still fires up. Would love to find an extra battery for it. Contacted Niterider today to see if they'd toss me one on the cheap.

I contacted them as well. They said "buy a new light".

They were nice and helpful about it though!

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith
    I contacted them as well. They said "buy a new light".

They were nice and helpful about it though!
    Funny.

Well...if that's what they tell me, I'll burn this one out first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dig Head Trip

I have a couple of these. Did you guys find a place to buy a new battery?

Do It Yourself
    If it gets close to the rated capacity (that's a big IF), this 6V 4/3A pack is probably a good deal at $25. Just wire on your connector and off you go.

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbatt...ddcdevice.aspx

However, your charger is still crap, the run time is low and the light output is minimal. I would recommend to cut your loses and save your money for a new LED system. Besides, with Daylight Savings less than 2 weeks away and the lousy weather this winter, is it worth doing anything right now or can it wait until late summer?
    Long Live Long Rides

Lighten up.
    Niterider's reply to me:

"We do still have batteries available for the older Digital HeadTrip systems. The replacement battery is part number 6447. If you have an older version that has a grey battery and detachable cord, you will also need the 6467 adapter. The adapter will allow you to use the original cord with the new battery. You can find these parts on our website here: http://www.niterider.com/store.shtml."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I got one of these too. Mine is on its last legs - battery been almost useless for awhile now and getting worse each use.
    Like others of you I have toyed with idea of trying to find a DIY replacement battery since Niterider wants something like $125 for replacement. Would like to hear if anyone finds something cheap that works - otherwise I'm probably going to get a new/cheap LED.

Hate throwing out good parts that still work though.