mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Niterider 1800 vs Baja Designs DBL Strykr

I posted a thread before asking for input regarding Baja Designs vs Niterider. I want to narrow it down.

I am going to get the Baja Designs Stykr SL for my helmet and I've been looking into getting either the Niterider pro 1800 or the Baja Designs Double Strykr for my handlebars. They both have the same runtime on high. I am wondering how do they compare regarding brightness (they should be about the same), beam pattern and distance?

I am also looking into the two systems, because I want to use it on my dirt bike helmet. also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Like you I too narrowed it down to both those lights.

I went with the Double Strykr because:

1. The light fill pattern was more even and wider.

2. The color temperature (Tint of the white light itself) was more balanced. That is lights tend to go either yellow, blue and the Strykr has a very balanced color to the light it throws.

I do however wish the Baja Design had a lighter / smaller battery for shorter dawn / dusk rides or helmet attachment. (More Strykr SL focused and of course you can get a ext. wire and throw the battery on your back)

Also itís not a big deal to me... the Baja Design doesn't allow for tweaking the factory settings.

On a side note... one of my biking buds has the SL and it is a great product. Having the ability to have multiple battery, parts, mounts and swap between buds is also a plus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by No ddah View Post
    Like you I too narrowed it down to both those lights.

I went with the Double Strykr because:

1. The light fill pattern was more even and wider.

2. The color temperature (Tint of the white light itself) was more balanced. That is lights tend to go either yellow, blue and the Strykr has a very balanced color to the light it throws.

I do however wish the Baja Design had a lighter / smaller battery for shorter dawn / dusk rides or helmet attachment. (More Strykr SL focused and of course you can get a ext. wire and throw the battery on your back)

Also itís not a big deal to me... the Baja Design doesn't allow for tweaking the factory settings.

On a side note... one of my biking buds has the SL and it is a great product. Having the ability to have multiple battery, parts, mounts and swap between buds is also a plus.
    Thanks for your feedback.

That's one of the things I like about the pro 1800, you can tweak the settings.
    I think 1800 lumens is more than enough light. Would consider getting the pro 3600 and then tweak the settings down to get a longer runtime if the 3600 wasn't so much.

That is a really good point about having both lights from the same family.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    The light settings on the 1800 are not programmable. The 1500's were but of NR's current crop, only the 3600 is programmable. You're stuck with the factory settings in the 1800.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My mistake, you are correct. I was thinking that all of the PRO series were programmable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Was looking at the NR 1800 -- where do you put the battery pack? From the photos on the website it looks like it is very short.

Sorry - new to night riding and don't know much about lights.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    Was looking at the NR 1800 -- where do you put the battery pack? From the photos on the website it looks like it is very short.

My understanding is the battery straps to the top of the stem

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Good job! Baja Designs

Baja Designs has a fantastic track record through and through. There have been a fair number of NR issues reported on the forums in terms of product malfunction and customer service inconsistencies. I've no personal experience with NR so take my 2 cents for what its worth.

I have been using BD's Double Stryk and the SL since their launch. Daily usage ever since I acquired these for both commuting and trail sessions in ALL weather conditions. The batteries, light heads and chargers have never faltered once. Their robust construction is solid and mounting gear super sturdy yet highly adjustable.

In terms of actual light emitted, their neutral color temperature results in much less glare back especially in foggy and humid conditions. Each has an very good beam pattern on its own but when used together the complimentary pairing becomes even more obvious. I find that when running a dual set up (helmet and bars) it's much easier on the eyes when the color temperatures of each is identical IMO.

Give Shannon a shout if you have any questions. You'll be well taken care of. That I can promise.
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 01-15-2013 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Baja Designs has a solid track record through and through. There have been a fair number of NR issues reported on the forums in terms of product malfunction and customer service inconsistencies. I've no personal experience with NR so take my 2 cents for what its worth.

I have been using BD's Double Stryk and the SL since their launch. Daily usage ever since I acquired these for both commuting and trail sessions in ALL weather conditions. The batteries, light heads and chargers have never faltered once. Their robust construction is solid and mounting gear super sturdy yet highly adjustable.

In terms of their neutral color temperature I find there is much less glare back when dealing with foggy and humid conditions also. Excellent beam patterns but even more so when used together. Its a very complimentary pairing. I find that when running a dual set up (helmet and bars) it much easier on the eyes when the color temperatures of each is matched accordingly.

Give Shannon a shout if you have any questions. You'll be well taken care of. That I can promise.
    Thanks for your feedback. I was in contact with Shannon a couple of months ago, when I first inquired about the Strykrs. Which was funny because he was the one that helped me at NR when I had to send me lights in. He quit NR and went to work at BD. I emailed him again, over the weekend because I had another question about the Strykrs and was told, Monday, that he is longer with BD.

A plethora of pinatas
    +1 on the BD Strykr Double and SL setup! I have been running them for about 1 year and could not be happier. Plus, BD dropped their prices on them - Strykr LED Bicycle and Helmet Lights . Tough to beat those prices and a lifetime warranty to boot.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    +1 on the BD Strykr Double and SL setup! I have been running them for about 1 year and could not be happier. Plus, BD dropped their prices on them - Strykr LED Bicycle and Helmet Lights . Tough to beat those prices and a lifetime warranty to boot.
    Yep, thanks for the feedback. I think that I am going to go with the Strykrs. Haven't gotten much feedback on Niteriders and eveyone that has the Strykrs have had only good things to say about them. Plus I think Niterider's warranty is only a year. I know my older Niterider lights had only a year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post

I have the 1800. So far, I have only run it on my snow bike (9-ZERO-7). For that bike, I strap it to the underside of the down tube (right behind the front wheel). Depending on the geometry of your frame and/or where you have bottle cages mounted, you could also strap it to the top side ofthe down tube (within the triangle) or underside of the top tube. Unless you have a really, really long stem, no way it will fit up there without projecting back past the headset meaning it would be in a really bad spot if you were to come to a quick stop if you know what I mean. The cord seems plenty long for those kind of mounting locations. I know others who mount on their helmet and put the battery either in the back pocket of a jersey or outside pocket of a camel back.

I really like the light, but don't have a huge amount of hours on it and have not run it dead yet to know how long it really lasts. Been out for a couple hours at night with no problems yet on the lower setting though even in zero degree weather. The only time I have had a need for the highest setting was narrown, snowy singletrack riding in a race and some sections of rough, slick ice when I wanted to make sure to see every detail out there. I don't have experience with other comparable light systems though, so can't really say whether it is better or worse, just that it works well for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have also been using the dual strykr since they came out with zero issues which i original had the regular strykr on the bars and sl on the bars and was just as happy with the quality any way i run the dual on the bars and the pro on my helmet and have always been very happy with this set up and one of my friends i ride with has a NR 1800 and his seems to be a little more white but feel mine has more throw and a much wider beam not to mention on a ride his started flickering and stopped working (only 2nd time using it) which they replaced it with no problems but sucks being so new.

I also use my dual on my KTM450 in the desert so it get's beat pretty hard and keeps on going although now that Shannon is no longer working for them i wonder if i would have the same c.s. he gave me living 2 blocks away but hopefully i will never have to find out.