Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207

    NiteFlux Red Zone 8

    Got the email last night--ordered mine this morning. Their plan is to make weekly shipments to a U.S. locale, from which orders will go out via USPS. The website will be updated once existing orders are filled.

    There's still the question in my mind about how eventual battery replacement will be handled in the future.



    NiteFlux Red Zone 8-rz4seat.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzzy Dunlop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    35
    Where is it available to order? I only see the RZ 4 and 5 on the Niteflux website. Also interested in how much it's going to cost.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    They will update the site when existing orders, mostly pre-production reservations I believe, are completed. I got on the list when inquiring about the RZ4, which I would have been happy with, but the 400 lumen RZ8 sounds pretty impressive.


    I can tell you the new tail lights are very visible in bright daylight, from more than 180degrees. That's right, even past fully side on.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    Got an email this morning--The RZ8 is now in the US postal system.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzzy Dunlop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    35
    Any idea what the final retail price is going to be?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    I was hoping they would be in the same form factor as the previous version. This is kind of disappointing. That's a pretty big light.

    J.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,671
    It is sort of an oddball configuration. Really doesn't leave you with too many choices in how to mount it. I really would like to know more about how the mounting set-up works. Still I like the idea that it can allow you to create a "Triangle Configuration" if you combo the RZ8 with another rear light ( like the Cygolite Hotshot or Moon Shield ) mounted lower on the seatpost. A set-up like that would really stand out in heavy traffic.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    Agree about the physical configuration--it does not look as adaptable as one might want. I'm also still a bit leery to give up the Dinotte 300R's constant-on flash mode, which I think is a stellar night time safety feature. Still I bought the RZ8 because of the claims attributed to its performance, and hope that it acquits itself well. My unit came in yesterday, so we'll take a look at it later today.


    P.S. I paid $99.99 shipping included, and also got a free upgrade from the 4w version to the 8w.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    116
    Haven't seen too much of the RZ8 yet, Google hasn't thrown anything much else up, did find this video if anyone is interested...
    Niteflux - Red Zone 8 - YouTube

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    Thanks for bringing this to the top. Have been on the injured and sick list--just got back on the bike last Sat.

    Got a few pics and yeah that's all you get, a light and a strap. The one on-road pic taken at 6:30am, shows the light much brighter and with more bloom than in real life. Taken with an iphone 4s, I hope to get some vids up by the weekend.

    Looks like I somehow put a 3-4mm slit/crack on the top of the top lens cap, or maybe it came that way. You can see it in the first pic.



    NiteFlux Red Zone 8-nf1l.jpg

    NiteFlux Red Zone 8-nf2c.jpg

    NiteFlux Red Zone 8-nf3h.jpg

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,671
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    Thanks for bringing this to the top. Have been on the injured and sick list--just got back on the bike last Sat.

    Got a few pics and yeah that's all you get, a light and a strap. The one on-road pic taken at 6:30am, shows the light much brighter and with more bloom than in real life. Taken with an iphone 4s, I hope to get some vids up by the weekend.
    P/M...looking forward to the vids. Personally I like the idea of mounting it horizontally under the seat and then mounting another two watt LED lamp underneath it on the seat post. Done right it would make a killer triangle pattern that would be almost impossible to miss.

    Sad that no ones seems to know when these will be available.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    988
    Yeah, I'd consider buying one if they were listed. I thought I was on the warranty-replacement queue since my RZ4 failed, but my mailbox remains empty

    In the meanwhile, I go out with one or two Hotshots. I had a guy in a BMW stop on the highway recently and flag me down to find out what they are... last I heard from him via email, he's bought three of them Great value. But I'd still like my "hand grenade" taillight back too. Where's my RedZone?!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    That's not good, mechBgon.

    I picked up some O rings at the hardware store, and tentatively have a way to mount the RZ8 horizontally at the top of the saddle. Haven't road tested it yet to determine how secure it is. Its braced against the tiny roadie saddle bag I use, and the O rings loop around the saddle rails and both ends of the light body. Will report back.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    Yeah, I'd consider buying one if they were listed. I thought I was on the warranty-replacement queue since my RZ4 failed, but my mailbox remains empty

    In the meanwhile, I go out with one or two Hotshots. I had a guy in a BMW stop on the highway recently and flag me down to find out what they are... last I heard from him via email, he's bought three of them Great value. But I'd still like my "hand grenade" taillight back too. Where's my RedZone?!
    Unfortunately thats a pretty common theme with respect to contacting Nightflux. A lot of people find it very difficult to get any respose, then David makes an appearance on a forum and says all is sweet. Dont think I'll be buying another anytime soon based on previous experience.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    Guess I don't feel so bad then, for all my sloth and injuries etc.

    I'm hoping to get my moneys worth because the form factor is pretty convenient for my needs--fairly equal to the Dinotte 300 in the same regard. The light position under the saddle seems like it might be advantageous with its height and peripheral beam, but we'll see what the night video will show (no promises). It mounts trouble free so far, with a single O ring.

    The video below was made at 7:30am at 1400'. Tried to keep the camera at eye height of a driver in a compact car.







    IMG_0479 by pigmode, on Flickr


    IMG_0474 by pigmode, on Flickr


    IMG_0472 by pigmode, on Flickr

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    And I may as well show an earlier vid made at about a 5:30pm hill-interval session, with a low sun shining over a ridge (as you can see from the shadows), right at the bike and light.



  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    I have my night pics and vids but the iPhone creates such and unnatural bloom, that I hesitate to load them up as they are misleading.

    The RZ 8 is a great light at night but to the *eyes*, it shows very little to no bloom. From behind it is easily seen that it is two separate lights.

    The 300R on the other hand has great bloom, and for that is a more visible light. I believe the opaque rubbery lens on the RZ 8 keeps the price down, but also limits performance. For that you get what you pay for.

    I will say however, these two lights together add up to an effective combo. I did not find either at night to be blinding, and if they are then so are the rear lights of late model cars. What cars have that bike lights don't is lens size. I think a 300R with a double size lens, would easily trump the more-is-better higher lumen chinese light(s).







    .

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    223

    NiteFlux Red Zone 8

    Thanks for those vids. I wonder how this light will compare (if at all) to the new exposure light offerings for tail lights.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    ^ Not sure what brand, but I was able to compare to an off-the-shelf rear light my friend had on her roadbike. Was surprised her light had, to the eye, basically the same intensity as the RZ8. This was in a parking lot, so I can't say what it looks like at distance.

    Don't hold your breath, but I will try to redo the 300R/RZ8 vids.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    hello everybody ! does anybody know what is the difference between the new R4 and R8 ? it seems to be just a level of brightness, but the website doesn't state precisely how large that difference is ?

    last year i had Dinotte 300R but i sent it back because i found it too directional. it would blind everybody behind me but not project much to the sides. Dinotte of course told me to aim it down at the ground but to me that was ridiculous - if you're paying as much as 300R costs you shouldn't have to aim it on the ground to compensate for the beam pattern of the optics.

    so now i'm looking at Niteflux but i can't decide if i need R4 or R8 ? can anybody weigh in on this ?

    PS: to be fair to 300R it would be a great light for somebody who rides on long stretches of straight road with cars traveling at a high speed - it would provide outstanding visibility for that. but for a situation where you have a lot of intersections and a lot of people directly behind you ( like in a city ) i found it didn't work for me.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,671
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    hello everybody ! does anybody know what is the difference between the new R4 and R8 ? it seems to be just a level of brightness, but the website doesn't state precisely how large that difference is ?

    last year i had Dinotte 300R but i sent it back because i found it too directional. it would blind everybody behind me but not project much to the sides. Dinotte of course told me to aim it down at the ground but to me that was ridiculous - if you're paying as much as 300R costs you shouldn't have to aim it on the ground to compensate for the beam pattern of the optics.

    so now i'm looking at Niteflux but i can't decide if i need R4 or R8 ? can anybody weigh in on this ?

    PS: to be fair to 300R it would be a great light for somebody who rides on long stretches of straight road with cars traveling at a high speed - it would provide outstanding visibility for that. but for a situation where you have a lot of intersections and a lot of people directly behind you ( like in a city ) i found it didn't work for me.
    I'll have to disagree with that thought. I have no idea why you think it the 300R is too bright ( when pointed straight back ). IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE BRIGHT! That's the whole point of buying something that cost a couple hundred dollars. If you're worried about blinding people then buy something not as bright. Personally, Iv'e seen many a cyclist riding with good bright rear lights and at no time did I even consider it as "too bright" or "too directional". When I see a good bright rear light on a bike I just think, "That's the way to do it, that will get noticed"!

    Addressing the issue of city traffic with lots of intersections. People in cars are usually just trying to get somewhere and as such are distracted by many things as they poke along from light to light. This is why you want your rear lamp to be bright. YOU WANT TO BE NOTICED!. Pointing the lamp at the ground isn't going to help. Motorist deal with bright lights all the time...in their mirrors, in their face (at lights), on coming traffic...etc...Your bike with rear light is just another brick in the wall. If someone sees your lamp and grumbles then you've succeeded in being seen. Don't let it bother you. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE NOTICED JUST AS MUCH AS SOMEONE DRIVING A CAR HAS THE RIGHT TO BE NOTICED. Here's some food for thought, ever see road crews working at night? If you have they have so many flashing lights going ( and some of those are VERY BRIGHT ) that it boggles the imagination. Do you think they worry about pissing someone off because their lights are bright?...I think not.

    On the other hand if you do a group ride with friends leave the 300R home or bring another lower powered lamp when doing group rides. While BRIGHT is good it is not good if someone is following directly behind you at close distance for a number of miles. This doesn't apply to motorist who can ( and will )pass very easily and are usually not directly behind you for any amount of time anyway.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I'll have to disagree with that thought. I have no idea why you think it the 300R is too bright ( when pointed straight back ). IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE BRIGHT! That's the whole point of buying something that cost a couple hundred dollars. If you're worried about blinding people then buy something not as bright. Personally, Iv'e seen many a cyclist riding with good bright rear lights and at no time did I even consider it as "too bright" or "too directional". When I see a good bright rear light on a bike I just think, "That's the way to do it, that will get noticed"!

    Addressing the issue of city traffic with lots of intersections. People in cars are usually just trying to get somewhere and as such are distracted by many things as they poke along from light to light. This is why you want your rear lamp to be bright. YOU WANT TO BE NOTICED!. Pointing the lamp at the ground isn't going to help. Motorist deal with bright lights all the time...in their mirrors, in their face (at lights), on coming traffic...etc...Your bike with rear light is just another brick in the wall. If someone sees your lamp and grumbles then you've succeeded in being seen. Don't let it bother you. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE NOTICED JUST AS MUCH AS SOMEONE DRIVING A CAR HAS THE RIGHT TO BE NOTICED. Here's some food for thought, ever see road crews working at night? If you have they have so many flashing lights going ( and some of those are VERY BRIGHT ) that it boggles the imagination. Do you think they worry about pissing someone off because their lights are bright?...I think not.

    On the other hand if you do a group ride with friends leave the 300R home or bring another lower powered lamp when doing group rides. While BRIGHT is good it is not good if someone is following directly behind you at close distance for a number of miles. This doesn't apply to motorist who can ( and will )pass very easily and are usually not directly behind you for any amount of time anyway.
    i understand what you're saying cat, but as i said, i already tried it and didn't like it.

    now i want something with the pattern of R8, but i can't figure out the difference between R8 and R4 because it doesn't say how much brighter the R8 is than the R4.

    also i would like to know how does it achieve the extra brightness ?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    The rubbery opaque lens caps on the R8 works well on group rides. Also have a 300R, so I know where you're coming from.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    The rubbery opaque lens caps on the R8 works well on group rides. Also have a 300R, so I know where you're coming from.
    cool. it seems some people got R8 for $99 but now R4 is $99 and R8 is $149 and the only difference is brightness it seems. would you still go for the 8 at current prices, or get the 4 ?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pigmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    cool. it seems some people got R8 for $99 but now R4 is $99 and R8 is $149 and the only difference is brightness it seems. would you still go for the 8 at current prices, or get the 4 ?

    $99 was the introductory price for the RZ8. Haven't seen or used the RZ4 but for day rides, I'd try for the brightest I could *afford* with the battery life I needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •