Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    $99 was the introductory price for the RZ8. Haven't seen or used the RZ4 but for day rides, I'd try for the brightest I could *afford* with the battery life I needed.
    my concern is cooling - it doesn't seem as if there are any provisions for it. i missed the specs at first, but now i see RZ8 dissipates exactly double the power ( and therefore heat ) as RZ4. now i don't know if the LEDs stay within their thermal allowance so to speak there but it worries me. i am less worried in case of RZ4 because it only dissipates half the power.

of course i could get the RZ8 and then run it at half power but why ?

mtbr member
    In keeping with the subject matter of the thread can anyone tell me if the Niteflux Redzone 8 or 4 is currently available? I'm just asking because not long ago no one was able to get any of these lights. While I like discussions on rear lighting if you can't buy one what's the point? If they are currently available that would be great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    In keeping with the subject matter of the thread can anyone tell me if the Niteflux Redzone 8 or 4 is currently available? I'm just asking because not long ago no one was able to get any of these lights. While I like discussions on rear lighting if you can't buy one what's the point? If they are currently available that would be great.
    it seems you can order them now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i signed up to MTBR so i could post my personal experience with the RZ-8 in the event anyone else is searching for their next taillight.

a few months ago, i lost my cygolite hotshot from my frame; it has a crappy mount and the bolt/nut loosened and dropped it off, leaving me with only my dinotte 300R on my bike and an old blinkie on my helmet.

i went through an exhaustive search (it seemed) and i came to the RZ-8. it seemed to offer exactly what i was looking for - multidirection bright light that could be easily mounted to a helmet.

the reviews were mixed. good light brightness, suspect charging operations, questionable customer service and product reliability. i figured i'd try it in spite of these potential pitfalls. well, my testing lasted about 1 day.

mounting was easy. it was bright for sure, though a different kind of brightness. when side to side with the dinotte 300r, it seemed to be a whiter red, if that makes sense. standing back and viewing them both side by side in a fast flash comparison, the 300r was brighter to me. but, the RZ-8 had a little more coverage, especially to the sides, which is generally the weakest illumination spot on a bike.

i rode to work, rode home and then rode to work the next day. i knew i needed to charge it so i popped off the horribly-designed cap to charge. a green light is supposed to come on, but mine never did. it stayed red. from that point on, i could not get the light to turn on.

i contacted the company and received a prompt response - contrary to previous reports. in fact, response times were very impressive. he had me run a few things on it, but none worked. he decided it would be best for me to send it in for another one or just give me a refund. reliability is priority #1 for me on my seattle year round, rainy bike commute, so i returned it.

in it's place, i got the dinotte 400R and have not regretted it one bit. in fact, i found mounting the 400R to my helmet was a piece of cake and very sturdy using a single zip tie and slightly bending the metal tab of the light (rendering it useless on a standard mount, but since it will only be on my helmet, i considered this ok).

the 400R makes the 300R look like a joke, which is saying something. i'm quite happy now.

if i were to start from scratch, i'd probably get 2 hotshots and 2 superflash turbo (1W - the new ones c. 2013) and mount 2 on my helmet and 2 on the frame in a solid fashion. the drawback on the superflash is the AAA batteries; usb recharging is so much nicer. the 400R has a goofy proprietary charger, so it's only barely better than batteries. but, given its performance, i am okay with it.

mtbr member
    The one positive point is Niteflux's customer service. Hopefully your experience is not indicative of their quality control.

Otoh my RZ8 continues to function fine. Used it yesterday and got a positive comment while out on the road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have both the older 400R and the 300R. I presume you are referring to the daytime 400R that they have now?

The big problem I see with how you are using them is that they are fairly directional and would be of questionable utility on a helmet. Helmets are best with a more omnidirectional light.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    just ordered an rz4 will post my results and observations

currently use dinotte 140L which needs no replacement, this thing rocks!
    but I am tired of the 4xAA holster...stumbled on niteflux, and said YOLO > PayPal

PS: this is first time I ever used yolo in a post anywhere and I deeply regret it

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    just got my rz4

1) as the website and instructions say, there is a slit to let air escape when putting end caps on

2) as instructions say, use thumbs to push endcaps off...they are a *****

3) it is bright as everyone says

4) wicked compact and versatile

happy with it since it is one unit with an 18650 inside, no more dinotte 140l pigtail

will see how it goes. this is more of a -hobbyist- light, not for general consumption due to the exposed circuit board, but as far as shape, mount, design it is pretty nice with long runtimes. since the 18650 is exposed on the ends, it can be charged with your own charger with magnetic leads (my usb cables are all 500ma, I want to charge at 1C and this can be done by rigging it)

super easy to program, super easy to mount, bright as hell. so far so good!

what really sells me on the rz4 is the body and mount system. so easy to swap between bikes. I hope to keep this as a primary tail light forever and never have to use the dinotte 140L ever again. rz4 will go anywhere and no damn battery pack and no damn clips or clamps, just a strap. the design is awesome...hope it
    stays running. since it is pretty exposed circuit board, keeping it running will require more care than the average light...
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 11-27-2013 at 06:08 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2