mtbr member
    Mar 2009

NiteFlux Photon Max Extreme or Lupine Wilma

NiteFlux Photon Max Extreme 1350 Lumens

Lupine Wilma 5 920 Lumens

The Wilma is more expensive but not much more ($100). I Know Lupine products are well respected and well built. I like the look of the Wilma better but would love the extra lumens with the Photon Max as I cant justify spending the money for the Betty.

I'am looking for some opinions as I know many on here own both lights. I've done some searching already and found the switch on the Photon Max can easily break, and also heard it might not hold up well in bad weather. Its nice to have 1350 lumens but it wont mean nothing if it doesnt work. I saw pics of the new 18 degree lens for Wilma which looks sweet and now leaning towards the Wilma. Well, any and all input is appreciated. Im new to the site but not new to riding. Thanks in advance.
    Michael

GeoMan
    Well...

We sell em both. Certainly we sell more of the Extremes than the Wilma but that's probably because NF has the lowest cost per lumen out there and people are looking for bargains at the moment.

I ride with the Lupine Tesla (helmet) and Betty (bar). I've sold a bunch of NF's to riding buddies and none have had anything but compliments for the Max/Extreme. There's been no switch issues on any we've sold. Seems like a bit of urban legend going on... Some do prefer the battery mounted switch. Fodder for thought.

That being said, I doubt you will regret either choice.

Does that help?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Im loving my Nite Flux Photon Max and Photon Max Extreme. They are both great lights. The Extreme has a better light pattern. For the price you cant beat the Extreme.

GEOMAN, check your email.

BBW
    mtbr member
    look for pics of the light patter of the NF... lumens is not everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    ... Some do prefer the battery mounted switch...
    Huh?...Cough....Cough....Cough.. What you talk'in bout' Geoman? ...Now if I didn't know any better I would swear you were trying to sell those battery mounted switches...

mtbr member
    I am not thrilled with battery mounted switches or for that matter switches on the light head. have been spoiled by having a remote switch which I can easily reach without taking my hand off the grip. Even on my helmet I have the switch located where my hand naturally goes to it. The niteflux is a good value though.
    Last edited by MaximusHQ; 04-26-2009 at 04:14 AM.

mtbr member
    The Extreme light pattern is more of a flood pattern where the standard Max is more of a spot light. They are a good combo to run. Ive used a ton of lights and all my buddys have decent lights but the Extreme is amazing at a great value.

Im still waiting on a few parts but Ill try and post pics this weekend

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tesla- helmet; Betty- bar = Ultimate combo.

Check out the Tesla as well. It is a great light and the price is pretty good. I think Lupines are the best-built lights and exude quality. The light color is very good, especially for a LED. It is much warmer than most.

If you cannot afford the Tesla (or Wilma) I think the NF is a good choice as well, though I am not crazy about the beam pattern. That may not be an issue for some. I also do not like battery-mounted switches at all but I'm probably a really picky guy when it comes to bikes and bike stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Tesla- helmet; Betty- bar = Ultimate combo.

Check out the Tesla as well. It is a great light and the price is pretty good. I think Lupines are the best-built lights and exude quality. The light color is very good, especially for a LED. It is much warmer than most.

If you cannot afford the Tesla (or Wilma) I think the NF is a good choice as well, though I am not crazy about the beam pattern. That may not be an issue for some. I also do not like battery-mounted switches at all but I'm probably a really picky guy when it comes to bikes and bike stuff.
    The pattern on the Nite Flux Photon Max isnt that bad. It is a little narrow, but the Extreme is AWESOME. It is super wide and more of a flood pattern. Have you seen them compared to each other. Ill get pics soon.

GeoMan
    The EXTREME is a great light at 1,350 lumens...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I love both of my Extremes. The switch being on the battery really doesn't bother me.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    I love both of my Extremes. The switch being on the battery really doesn't bother me.
    The battery mounted switch doesn't bother most folks. In fact, some prefer it.

Food for thought.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    I'd never buy one without a switch on the light or next to it. I ride with others and also when meeting opposing riders, I dim my lights. When stopping at points to regroup, we normally turn them off. These new lights are too bright not to.