mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Nite Rider MiNewt.400 Dual.

Has anyone ever used this light? I'm thinking about getting it and just wanted to hear what people had to say about it first. I'm not worried about being dissapointed though because Nite Rider is a great company.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

just got mine

I got mine a week or two ago and have had a few short rides with them. I'm extremely happy with mine, although they have yet to show me how long they last in cold temps like -20F, that is my only concern at the moment. The light is great and being able to "tweek" the light pattern is really, really nice. I use a Cateye cylcometer and a separate Polar heart monitor so I add a Petzl helmet light. The helmet light is a nice addition and provides some help in the event of a mechanical problem but is not needed at all for the actual riding. The lights are bright and more than enough for basic commuting and winter trail riding. Something more powerful might be needed for high speed night riding but at normal winter riding speeds these throw plenty of light. I had a problem with my Cateye due to the proximity of the NR battery. It made my wireless cyclometer go whacky but taking the NR battery off the stem and putting it on the top tube just a bit further away was all it took and now there is no problem. I ordered a second set for my wife's bike. I do wish that a second battery was not so expensive since I'll probably need to buy two more batteries. At -20F in pitch black I can't afford to not have a light. I may also get an extension cord and keep the battery inside my coat but I'm not sure about that. Other than a concern regarding over-all lighting time and battery issues, which is an issue with almost any system in severe cold, I am very happy with this unit and it seems a good bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

update on minewt400 poor battery performance

I'll contact NR and try to learn more but here is the senario..

Three days ago I rode for 35min with the light on High. The bike sat for two days with the battery connected to the lights. Then I took it out for another ride and the light died after 10 min. I could turn it on and get a few min of light from it and then it would turn off abruptly.
    I know it's recommended that one store the battery disconnected. If that is the big deal here then perhaps there is hope, but if all I get is 35 or 40 min at +35F then this won't work for me...at all. It's a great light but I need much more battery life than that at these temps. I'll be riding at -20F fairly regularly. I had hoped to get at least 45min at that temp. I may have been overly optimistic, but 45 min at +35F ? Ouch. My "60 lumen" Petzl helmet light saved the day. No problem with that and it's puny 3 AAA lithium batteries...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You may want to consider the Dinotte 400L. You have the option of a 4 cell pack which gives a runtime on high of 5 hours. That'll give you a lot of breathing room even if the runtime is greatly shortened by cold temps. Price wise, it's pretty similar to the Minewt dual.

I have a Minewt 200 that I've had for a couple of years. It's never run as long as NR claims, and that's not even in cold temps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Dinotte

I looked closely at the Dinotte 400. From what I could gather, in order to adjust the beam, one must unscrew the attachment part, move the light a bit and then screw it down. I need to be able to push my light here or there on this trail or that road and be able to easily adjust the light position. Lights that attach by screwing a hinged part do not look promising in severe cold. I could just buy a few more NR batteries if they weren't so absurdly expensive. $140 for a battery ? ( that's from memory and it may be less but it's bloody expensive).
    If I get a sense that the Dinotte has a good attachment that will allow me to adjust the light beam on the fly, repeatedly with no problem I would strongly consider them.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    I would think that the o-rings used by NiteRider for the mounting of the MiNewts would be more suceptible to damage in extreme cold than the Dinotte 400L mount.

You could always go with two Dinotte 200L's - they use the o-ring mount like the MiNewts.

Once I properly adjusted my bar and helmet lights I have not had to move/re-adjust them (Dinotte 400 on bars and helmet).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

No adjustment issues with Dinotte 400L

Quote Originally Posted by digibud
    I looked closely at the Dinotte 400. From what I could gather, in order to adjust the beam, one must unscrew the attachment part, move the light a bit and then screw it down. I need to be able to push my light here or there on this trail or that road and be able to easily adjust the light position. Lights that attach by screwing a hinged part do not look promising in severe cold. I could just buy a few more NR batteries if they weren't so absurdly expensive. $140 for a battery ? ( that's from memory and it may be less but it's bloody expensive).
    If I get a sense that the Dinotte has a good attachment that will allow me to adjust the light beam on the fly, repeatedly with no problem I would strongly consider them.
    I have the Dinotte 400L and do not have any problems adjusting. I can reach up to my helmet, adjust the light, and all is well. I have not touched the screw since receiving the light. BTW, it is a standard phillips head screw. I have had it on ~20 night rides so far.

But I can't speak to exterme cold conditions. Around here (SoCal), 50 degrees is considered extreme cold!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I too have had no issue adjusting the 400L. I have mine on the helmet and you can easily move it up and down.

As far as run time is concerned, I also have the 5 hr battery and it lasts as advertised or longer. So does the 800L.

I've had them for a year now. Last Winter I had no run time issues. That's Bay Area though. Prolly coldest temp ride would be around 40 degrees though.

MB

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have the 400L and the Minewt X2. Up/down adjustments on either is simple. Even clamped pretty well on the Dinotte, you can still make it tilt up and down. Left to right on EITHER of those lights is pretty much a non-start.

The NR uses a single ball joint style mount with a philips screw. Once clamped, you really can't tweak it L/R unless you really twist HARD.

Given run time / battery costs, UI (Dinotte's got a way better flash and on/off button location)... I would buy the Dinotte over the NR every time.

Its also worth noting, that in order for me to swap my NR over between bikes (I mainly use my lights for commuting) I have to tweak the adjustment mount each time to get it pointed correctly + change the o-ring (I run 26.0 on my road, 25.4 on MTB FS and SS, and 31.8 on Road SS)

With the Dinotte (since you automatically get two batteries) I leave a batt and mount attached to each bike and just unplug the Dinotte and unscrew/screw the light engine between bikes.

I grabbed a MS P7 light which is now my bar light and the 400L moved to the helmet which IMHO is the perfect helmet light.