mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Nightrider Lumina 750

Just arrived today. Charged it up and took it out for a ride after work tonite. This light throws out a good 50 foot beam. I took it on the side roads and a short rail trail and I didn't have any complaints. If your looking for a 1 piece set- check this light out. Most of my rides are under 3 hours so this light will do it for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nightrider Lumina 750-bike-light.jpg  

Last edited by paulmich; 09-23-2015 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Looks good paulmich and it's nice to have it self contained. Though I haven't used a Niterider since their HID lights, I imagine the mount has side to side adjustability and quick release? I do prefer the old mounts though that placed the light head in the center of the bars just mainly for asthetics, but in use it doesn't really matter if it's off to one side. Hope you have many fun rides with that light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yes it has side to side adjustability and it has a quick release. It does not come with a helmet mount that the older versions came with. Its light weight but has a sturdy feel and a space age look to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Its a nice light. I found one on the trail, charged it up and used it for a year until the USB port broke. The traces are so tiny I couldn't solder it back on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I really like my 700. I have it on my helmet usually for 2-3 hour long night trail rides.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I took it out for a real test tonite. I did a 1.5 hour rail trail ride. I had no complaints about the light. The medium setting was good enough for most of the ride. The medium and hi settings throw aout about the same beam (70 feet) but the high beam gave a little more brightness.I was kind of spooked at first being my first night ride. The trail has trees on boths sides so its like riding through a dark tunnel. I got over the spookiness about halfway through the ride. This is something I plan on doing more often.
    I didn't realize all the flying insects at night- wow! That's one thing I never had to deal with riding during daytime. Most of the bugs were during sunset - once nighttime came around - they thinned out.
    Last edited by paulmich; 09-27-2015 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmich View Post
    I didn't realize all the flying insects at night- wow! That's one thing I never had to deal with riding during daytime. Most of the bugs were during sunset - once nighttime came around - they thinned out.
    Wait until you ride behind someone at night. The quantity of dust that you see kicked up in the beam is amazing! Then you realize that stuff is going into your lungs!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The 750 is the light I really want. 90$ doesn't seem like a bad price on amazon but the wife acts like it's 90 million. Are there any other self contained light options that are cheaper than the niterider and still decent lights?

mtbr member
    Cygolite comes to mind for self contained lights. Usually they seem to be priced slightly lower than the similar output Niteriders lights. Not much, maybe 5 percent or so, but a little bit anyway. They have been around a long time and have a good track record from my experience and what I've read.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I use two Lumina lights on my bar, one is a 700 and the other is a 750. Not much difference between them as far as power goes, but the 'temperature' of the beam is different (one being slightly more 'yellow-ish' than the other). For an all in one, I think the Lumina is a pretty good choice for a few reasons:

1) The gradient from the bright spot in the center is relatively smooth compared it it's competitors. that is more important for trail riding thsn it is for commuting on the street.

2) The bar mount for the Lumina is among the most stable at speed on a trail. I have used lights from other companies that jiggle in the mount to the point that it looks like a strobe light; no es bueno.

3) It disperses heat pretty well.

4) It has a 'walk' setting that is awesome for climbing, and uses almost no battery power (alleged to last for 14 hours on this setting).

I use the two Lumina lights on the handlebar, and a Serfas (either a TSL-750 or USL-505) on the helmet. I like the helmet mounts from Serfas better than the helmet mounts from NiteRider. I don't care for the Serfas handlebar mounts for MTB use. Too much jiggling around. I usually position the Luminas 1 click outward from straight ahead so it makes the beam pattern even wider. I found the beam patter from a single to be too narrow for the night time trail riding that I do. With two, positioned as I described above, I really like it. I usually adjust the helmet light to shine out in front of my bar lights so they don't battle each other.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I use two Lumina lights on my bar, one is a 700 and the other is a 750. Not much difference between them as far as power goes, but the 'temperature' of the beam is different (one being slightly more 'yellow-ish' than the other). For an all in one, I think the Lumina is a pretty good choice for a few reasons:

1) The gradient from the bright spot in the center is relatively smooth compared it it's competitors. that is more important for trail riding thsn it is for commuting on the street.

2) The bar mount for the Lumina is among the most stable at speed on a trail. I have used lights from other companies that jiggle in the mount to the point that it looks like a strobe light; no es bueno.

3) It disperses heat pretty well.

4) It has a 'walk' setting that is awesome for climbing, and uses almost no battery power (alleged to last for 14 hours on this setting).

I use the two Lumina lights on the handlebar, and a Serfas (either a TSL-750 or USL-505) on the helmet. I like the helmet mounts from Serfas better than the helmet mounts from NiteRider. I don't care for the Serfas handlebar mounts for MTB use. Too much jiggling around. I usually position the Luminas 1 click outward from straight ahead so it makes the beam pattern even wider. I found the beam patter from a single to be too narrow for the night time trail riding that I do. With two, positioned as I described above, I really like it. I usually adjust the helmet light to shine out in front of my bar lights so they don't battle each other.
    Which do you think is more yellow? I have a single Lumina 750 and it's not as blue as my older Dinotte 400. That seems to help me distinguish what I'm looking at on the ground vs the more blue or white light my older unit has.

These all in one units could be changing my mind on getting a new system with separate battery or a pair of all in ones. A second Lumina 750 would be a perfect match as far as color but the helmet mount is clearly inferior to Bontrager's that would mount to GoPro mount. I would not want a color mismatch like I have now.

mtbr member
    Not a big fan of the new rubber strap handle bar mount. It tends to move on my tapered handlebars and the light will begin to point straight down. My screw-down mount on my older Lumina 650 doesn't budge at all. I may have to rig something to keep it from traveling.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Which do you think is more yellow? I have a single Lumina 750 and it's not as blue as my older Dinotte 400. That seems to help me distinguish what I'm looking at on the ground vs the more blue or white light my older unit has.

These all in one units could be changing my mind on getting a new system with separate battery or a pair of all in ones. A second Lumina 750 would be a perfect match as far as color but the helmet mount is clearly inferior to Bontrager's that would mount to GoPro mount. I would not want a color mismatch like I have now.
    The 700 is the more 'yellow' of the two. I see it pretty easily on the wall of my living room, but on the trail it's not an issue for me, although YMMV. The farther away the the light shines, the less it matters.

I just did an impromptu test of all of my all-in-ones. I have the following, and I will list them from 'whitest' to 'yellow-ish':

1) Serfas USL 505

2) NiteRider Lumina 750

3) NiteRider Lumina 700

4) Serfas TSL-750

The NiteRider Lumina 700 and the Serfas TSL-750 have an about the same 'color' to the beam.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Not a big fan of the new rubber strap handle bar mount. It tends to move on my tapered handlebars and the light will begin to point straight down. My screw-down mount on my older Lumina 650 doesn't budge at all. I may have to rig something to keep it from traveling.
    Oh great, they're doing that again?!
    Its the one thing I totally hate about my old TriNewt, the stupid rubber band mount. Cheaper, simpler, cheaper, lighter, cheaper, fits different sizes, cheaper, PIA to use and doesn't hold as well.
    I've put up with the TriNewt one because I was too lazy to adapt it to the old clamp.
    Looks like I'm going to hold onto my Lumina 750 clamp like a precious gem!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Oh great, they're doing that again?!
    Its the one thing I totally hate about my old TriNewt, the stupid rubber band mount. Cheaper, simpler, cheaper, lighter, cheaper, fits different sizes, cheaper, PIA to use and doesn't hold as well.
    I've put up with the TriNewt one because I was too lazy to adapt it to the old clamp.
    Looks like I'm going to hold onto my Lumina 750 clamp like a precious gem!
    Yep. If you look at the original post, that's the mount that came with my new one. I see that Amazon still has the old style screw on mount. I'm going to pick up another one For $12 and change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yep. If you look at the original post, that's the mount that came with my new one. I see that Amazon still has the old style screw on mount. I'm going to pick up another one For $12 and change.
    Interesting, I guess I got an earlier 750, mine came with clamp mount and included the helmet mount. Bummer.
    Though I've had quibbles with their lights, I support them as they are well made, support their products, and keep things in the USA.

∞~∞~∞~∞~∞
    I see two different mounts….

http://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-Lumi...P48V8XQSBW6VKS

http://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-Lumi...der+lumina+750

Which would be the better choice of the two?
    Rick~
    16' Superfly 9.6
    Tucson, Az.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have both. I prefer the clamp style but the rubber wrap-around does work fine. It's really a preference thing IMO.

∞~∞~∞~∞~∞
    Thanks for the speedy reply Bubba…. oh, i guess I forgot to mention that If I went with this light, it'd be mounted to my helmet.

Will the clamp style work well for this purpose?
    Rick~
    16' Superfly 9.6
    Tucson, Az.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The 750 I bought came with a helmet mount. I'm not sure either of the bar mounts will work well for that. Both have the same type of dovetail between the light and mount. I can mount either light on any mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasbubba View Post
    I have both. I prefer the clamp style but the rubber wrap-around does work fine. It's really a preference thing IMO.
    I wrapped athletic tape around the bars a couple times and it helped hold the rubber clamp in place. No issues, cheap fix.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I have several Luminas, 650, 700, and two 750s. Need a bunch for the family and two for me. I prefer to ride with one on the bars and one (the brightest one) on the helmet. Both mounts work fine. Only issue I have had is the micro-USB connection on the older lights tends to wear and be finicky.

I don't think they include the helmet mount with the light anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    I have several Luminas, 650, 700, and two 750s. Need a bunch for the family and two for me. I prefer to ride with one on the bars and one (the brightest one) on the helmet. Both mounts work fine. Only issue I have had is the micro-USB connection on the older lights tends to wear and be finicky.

I don't think they include the helmet mount with the light anymore.
    You are correct, they do not come with a helmet mount any longer. The 650 I bought last month came with a bar mount only.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Anyone have issues with the 750 switching brightness on its own? I usually ride with it on high on my 30 minute commute but it started switching to low all by itself a few days ago. May have to take it back as a defective one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Anyone have issues with the 750 switching brightness on its own? I usually ride with it on high on my 30 minute commute but it started switching to low all by itself a few days ago. May have to take it back as a defective one.
    Does your indicator light turn red at the same time? The light automatically switches to low beam when the battery gets low as a power saving measure. If this is happening after 30 mins on high, the battery is probably defective (or old). I usually get about 2 hours on high before this happens. My light is about 2 years old.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Does your indicator light turn red at the same time? The light automatically switches to low beam when the battery gets low as a power saving measure. If this is happening after 30 mins on high, the battery is probably defective (or old). I usually get about 2 hours on high before this happens. My light is about 2 years old.
    That's what I was thinking too but the light was still blue. It just went from high to low all by itself at random times during a ride. Then after my post it stopped working altogether except for the strobe when shutting it down. I took it back to REI where I bought it for exchange and had no issues. New one works great, hopefully that was a freak defective one!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    That's what I was thinking too but the light was still blue. It just went from high to low all by itself at random times during a ride. Then after my post it stopped working altogether except for the strobe when shutting it down. I took it back to REI where I bought it for exchange and had no issues. New one works great, hopefully that was a freak defective one!
    Sounds like it was a defect. Gotta love REI's return policy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    BUMP.. Still a great light. I took it out 2 nights ago. I did a rail trail ride and the thunder an lightning was lighting up the night sky it was so spooky and exciting at the same time, I love night riding.

mtbr member
    That's great!

The charger port on my older 650 came out with the cord the other day. It's six years old and well out of warranty, but the battery is still in great shape. I shipped it to NiteRider with a $20 check and should get it back in a few days. Since my last post in this thread I bought a 750 micro for my helmet and now run the two 650s on the bars.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That's great!

The charger port on my older 650 came out with the cord the other day. It's six years old and well out of warranty, but the battery is still in great shape. I shipped it to NiteRider with a $20 check and should get it back in a few days. Since my last post in this thread I bought a 750 micro for my helmet and now run the two 650s on the bars.
    I started running these a couple years ago b/c I didn't want wires. The beam pattern is real good. And they work great. The best thing now is you can get the 750 micro fleebay for 33.95 delivered and a 1100 boost for 67.99 delivered. They're a no brainer at those prices. And NR will back them up if they fail.

Run 2 on the bars and 1 on the helmet and one in my pack as a back up for Dec/Jan nite rides. Can't beat the deal now.

Co Springs
    750 on the 'hat' and one on the bar, they work well and are cost effective. Didn't want or need the outboard battery types or the spaghetti.

< So bright, I gotta wear shades !!
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    I started running these a couple years ago b/c I didn't want wires. The beam pattern is real good. And they work great. The best thing now is you can get the 750 micro fleebay for 33.95 delivered and a 1100 boost for 67.99 delivered. They're a no brainer at those prices. And NR will back them up if they fail.

Run 2 on the bars and 1 on the helmet and one in my pack as a back up for Dec/Jan nite rides. Can't beat the deal now.
    if I would have seen that price for the 750, I would have said screw the $20 repair!
    AreBee

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You're better off with the repair IMO. The micro 750 loses output a bunch (~50%) after just a half hour or so.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    You're better off with the repair IMO. The micro 750 loses output a bunch (~50%) after just a half hour or so.
    I definitely agree on this! All the single cell self-contained lights do this to varying degrees but the 750 micro is the worst I've seen. Here's a link to a test with a chart showing output over entire runtime for the NR Micro 750 and another link to their comparison page where you can compare all the different lights they've tested (overlays charts). This is worth a look for anyone considering buying one of these lights or anything similar (I know your not Vanc).
    Mole

We Test Lights | Lumina Micro 750 Test and Review

We Test Lights | Technical Comparison |

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes they are right about the repair. I sent both my 750's in as they didn't last but 20 min and NR updated the driver and sent back w/ a note they run for the 1.5 hrs and are now 850's. And indeed they're brighter than other 750's. Not by much but you can tell. And there was no charge from NR!

mtbr member
    Wow. That's nuts. I never realized it. Our night rides usually entail no more than 90 minutes of light time so maybe that's why I don't see the loss of power. I also have two 650s blasting too.

I'll surely keep an eye on this.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Wow. That's nuts. I never realized it. Our night rides usually entail no more than 90 minutes of light time so maybe that's why I don't see the loss of power. I also have two 650s blasting too.

I'll surely keep an eye on this.
    Interesting and useful information if you own single cell self-contained lights. I think the main value of this information is it teaches us how to more effectively use the light. Maximum available output is not only dependent on how hard the light is driven (lumen rating) but also on the charge level of the battery so using lower preset levels where their output is adequate will allow the highest max level output (for when you need it) later on in your ride.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow. That's nuts. I never realized it. Our night rides usually entail no more than 90 minutes of light time so maybe that's why I don't see the loss of power.
    Part of the reason you don't notice it is that your eyes/brain adapt to the slowly fading light.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    I got back my repaired 650 and the charger port was replaced with the port you'll find on the newer models. There is a plastic insert around the port that gives it some support in the housing. After reading this thread, I'm happy I went this route instead of buying a new 750 Micro. Much appreciated!
    AreBee