Now older but less slow!

Night time biking test video - Cygolite TridenX 1100 and Miticross 480OSP

I decided to test my GoPro Hero 3 (Silver Edition) at night. I used my Cygolite TridenX 1100 on the handlebar and a Cygolite Miticross 480 OSP on my helmet. I ran both at max beem for the video.

This was recorded in the Boulder, Colorado area.

Generally I am very pleased with the TridenX 1100. I think it is an awesome light (especially with the Xtra battery that I have) and I don't notice hotspots with it, just a continuous fill of light. With the GoPro it is interesting that this picks up a hotspot in the trail that I do not notice with my eyes.

I think in the future I will angle up the TridenX a bit to reduce the effect of the "hotspot" overexposing in the video. I may also try changing the exposure setting on the GoPro to be center spot and see how that works.

If you have any other tips on how to improve night-time video recording, I'd love to know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice video of your Cygolite set up. I loved my old Triden-X Extra as it was very durable and handled everything our wet west coast winters here in Squamish BC could throw at it. It never failed, and handled many endos and miles. Your 1100 must be awesome and yes if you sprung for the upgraded Miticross 800 you would have the best balanced set up for sure.

Your GoPro Hero3 takes better night time video than i was expecting as i"ve read the older modles struggled a bit. Capturing what your eyes see at night time with video can be difficult but your heading in the right direction i think by tilting your lamp heads up a touch. Cheers!!!