Thread: Night riding

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Night riding

Have you ever encountered something so terrifying that you ran out of the woods carrying your bike over your head screaming like women? If so, what was it?

Light freak

Nope.....

but always come out of the woods riding my bike, giggling like a little girl, already thinking about the next night ride

just a Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
    Have you ever encountered something so terrifying that you ran out of the woods carrying your bike over your head screaming like women? If so, what was it?
    Yes guys .....just kidding, I should not be saying that in a forum where it's 99.9 percent male.

There a trail I ride or walk at night. It's been said that it is haunted. It's a spooking trail running along a river. Hearing strange ruffling noises in the bush make me shiver, although half of the times those noises were made by two adults doing their stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Three days ago, riding alone just after the sun set, on a trail far, far away....mountain lion tracks, big, fist-sized fresh ones. No ones tires tracks on the trail but mine after a rain that day. Felt pretty alive after seeing that, and did not stop or look back until I got out of that canyon.

mtbr member
    Figuratively speaking I've had a ride or two that had some "strange encounters" that gave me the willies. Too long a story to tell on forum. They do make good stories to tell around the camp fire though. Besides, who would want to hear the story of the real, "Blair witch house"...or the story of , "The floating trail Orb". Nope, no one wants to hear that stuff.

mtbr member
    A raccoon scared me pretty good once. Looked like a demon with his glowing red eyes chilling on the other side of a tree. I got a bit of a surprise when I road by...Little bugger...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last night around 930pm, a buddy and I were riding our local trail. Friend in front took a turn and freaks out. I stop and freak out and spot this armadillo scurrying off into the woods like a bat outta hell. It was hilarious. Little sucker apparently exploded out of the ground in front of him.

My first thought was the hills have eyes.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    so, i have this climb at the beginning of my ride- steep -about 0.8 miles. I get near the top and there is this little kid? or midget at the top just standing there. I freaked out so bad that i could not ride down the hill because i thought that thing was right behind me so i had to keep looking back and I kept wrecking. So I ran with my sidi's and my bike over my head. I am still freaked out and have not told anyone i know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    the scarriest thing is when your light reflects in a far pair of eyes........... so you stop, the eyes link and move a little ant still watch you........sometimes some noise, sometimes no......... Eyes in the dark, most of the time these are a small fox searching for a mouse, but .........damned !!!!!!! Scary
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

mtbr member
    When I lived in the tropics I had one time where I heard a oink oink in the weeds that made us vacate quite expeditiously. Wild hogs were averaging around 200 lbs there. Another time while hiking we noticed rustling around us which then proceded to turn into a wolf-like howl. Fortunately that time it was a few stray dogs but it was nevertheless disconcerting in the dark.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Mountain Lion

One night while riding alone I was tracked by a mountain lion for about 5 minutes. It didn't approach any closer than 30 yards or so but it was DEFINITELY interested. Most terrifying moments of my life. Now I ride with a Jetlites X-51 mounted on my shoulder aimed backward (in strobe mode) to hopefully discourage any future predatory behavior. Also, I carry a cannister of bear spray in a bottle cage-type mount and a "Hide Away" combat knife affixed to the shoulder strap of my Camelbak (just in case, for close encounters). Sounds like overkill but these lions have been documented to attack us bikers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Worst wildlife encounter? Big buck standing in the middle of the trail, canal on one side, swamp on the other. We stared at each other for about 2 minutes, then he jumped into the canal and swam off. Thankfully, it was not mating season.

Weirdest? More deer. An entire herd of them, just sitting on a lawn across the street one night, as I was coming home from work. Deer look really effing weird up close.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    so, i have this climb at the beginning of my ride- steep -about 0.8 miles. I get near the top and there is this little kid? Or midget at the top just standing there. I freaked out so bad that i could not ride down the hill because i thought that thing was right behind me so i had to keep looking back and i kept wrecking. So i ran with my sidi's and my bike over my head. I am still freaked out and have not told anyone i know.
    lol!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Out riding a local trail here in Arizona one warm night and I come around a bend and my lights splash over this guy in running shorts. He was covered head to toe in tattoos. Face, arms, legs, chest, not a spec of skin without a tat. Dude looked like a zombie. Scared the Sh!t out of me.

mtbr member
    8 years ago they found mtb in the bushes at the side of a trail on Mt seymour up here Vancouver BC.
    They eventually found a poor half eaten body down by the river. Mountain lion got him and pulled him down to the river.
    I carry bear bells and large knife with me when ride up there,its my normal riding area..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    8 years ago they found mtb in the bushes at the side of a trail on Mt seymour up here Vancouver BC.
    They eventually found a poor half eaten body down by the river. Mountain lion got him and pulled him down to the river.
    I carry bear bells and large knife with me when ride up there,its my normal riding area..
    Really??
    I never heard about that one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I finished decending a technical/flowy trail, (Hoods n' The Woods) here in Squamish BC. I slowed down to let my buddy catch up, just then the bush moved right beside me and as i looked down there was a mountain lion turning around beside my front wheel. Talking about a freak out only a bike length away. Had it wanted me, i was toast!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Almost stepped on a Mohave rattler about 4 miles in on a night ride by myself. Almost pissed myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
    Really??
    I never heard about that one.
    A friend who worked up there told me about it. On the news it was only reported that a corpse had been found..
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stu06 View Post
    One night while riding alone I was tracked by a mountain lion for about 5 minutes. It didn't approach any closer than 30 yards or so but it was DEFINITELY interested. Most terrifying moments of my life. Now I ride with a Jetlites X-51 mounted on my shoulder aimed backward (in strobe mode) to hopefully discourage any future predatory behavior. Also, I carry a cannister of bear spray in a bottle cage-type mount and a "Hide Away" combat knife affixed to the shoulder strap of my Camelbak (just in case, for close encounters). Sounds like overkill but these lions have been documented to attack us bikers.
    Yea I think about Mt. Lions too at times, as I tend to ride in areas they are known to be, and have even attacked riders here in So-Cal. I know it is super rare, but I too carry spray and a knife. I would really like to see one in the wild, just not too close.