Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,570

    Night Rider plugs suck

    I am using a Sol200 and I like the light the plugs just suck. I have it on my helmet and the plugs on the extension cable keep pulling out. Any one try taping them so they don't come apart?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    988
    They do leave something to be desired. I had my Pro 1200 unplug in the middle of a descent a few nights ago. Fortunately I had a helmet light for backup. I do know of a way to cinch the plug together using zip ties (a zip tie around each plug, with a couple more running parallel to the cable that exert "traction" to keep the plugs from unplugging). This is possible on the Pro 1200 since you don't have to break that connection to charge the battery.

    Alternate idea, look into a Dinotte, or just pick up an S-Mini flashlight, 18650 battery and charger. 90 grams with battery, self-contained, 2+ hours at 300+ lumens, about $80 for the whole setup. Attach to helmet with good rubber bands or O-rings, and there ya go.

  3. #3
    Rhino
    Reputation: urbanseeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    I am using a Sol200 and I like the light the plugs just suck. I have it on my helmet and the plugs on the extension cable keep pulling out. Any one try taping them so they don't come apart?
    where are they coming apart at? From the luminaire cord to the extension or extension to battery?

    I tape all my NR cables together from the luminaire to the extension, and do not tape the extension to the battery plug. Usually, for me, the plugs do not come unplugged from the batteries, but rather the light end. Helmet mount, I used a velcro strap over the taped connections to the helmet.

    If you are using a light to battery and you tape the connection, you will have to untape it to charge it (unless you have a new light with cradle).

    my 2 cents.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    where are they coming apart at? From the luminaire cord to the extension or extension to battery?

    I tape all my NR cables together from the luminaire to the extension, and do not tape the extension to the battery plug. Usually, for me, the plugs do not come unplugged from the batteries, but rather the light end. Helmet mount, I used a velcro strap over the taped connections to the helmet.

    If you are using a light to battery and you tape the connection, you will have to untape it to charge it (unless you have a new light with cradle).

    my 2 cents.

    Its cumming apart at both ends. The extension cable and the battery. The battery I can kind of deal with. I keep that in my jacket pocket. But the cable extension is a real problem at the helmet.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deano machineo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    169
    I concur, those plugs suck.
    I do what mechBgon does. It is solid. I couldn't get tape to work well. Gorilla tape yeah, but left adhesive behind...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    744
    Sorry guy's,a little off topic,but a buddy showed up for a ride tonight,,he is running a NR Pro 1400 and i think a 600?maybe the 700 from last year.At the last minute he wanted to swap the 1400 he had on his lid with the 600/700? on his bars.After i minor fiddle with the plugs as he left the battery's alone,the plugs wouldn't accept the swap,so he put them back and we started our ride.Ten minuts later we were into out first single track and was dark enough to fire up our lights and the 600 he was fiddling with wouldn't work.He road the whole ride with just the one light.I told him something i read on an earlier thread that stated the protection circuit will be set off if you do not re-plug the light in correctly.There was no reset switch we could find so i told him to put the battery back on the dock when he gets home.He just emailed me and said that fixed it.

    Sorry in advance to all you NR owners, but who designs this stuff?? How much scense does it make to have no portable reset on you light.You have to go home in the friken dark and put it in the dock.And this is the best NR has to offer ,,,no thanx.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    44
    I never had anything unplug i put my battery in the waterbottle cage with a zipty but at the same time what kind of riding are you guys doing i ride XC and never had any problem ever you have to route it in a way that there is enough room for the bars to turn but you cant have any tention on the cable while riding and it cant catch on anything ive been using mine in the middle of winter in western PA

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,301
    I have a problem with a NR light right now. The light simply cuts off (thankfully I run a bar and helmet). It can happen immediately or later in the ride. I have chalked it up to the plugs (which are old). When I plug them together they fit way too easily. I feel that after extended use the plastic area around the plugs wear and become loose.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    44
    You can probably replace them I dont see why not, That's not definite tho!

  10. #10
    Carpe Noctem
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    311
    I replaced the plugs on an old Niterider Hid with Deans Ultra two pole plugs. Those plugs are shorter, easier to work and never came apart when I didn't want them to

    Then I got a Baja Designs Stryker Pro and never looked back. My advice? ditch the gimmicky features, poor warranty and slow customer service at NR and get something, anything else.

    I highly recommend the Baja stuff.
    Off season? What off season?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMoment
    I replaced the plugs on an old Niterider Hid with Deans Ultra two pole plugs. Those plugs are shorter, easier to work and never came apart when I didn't want them to

    Then I got a Baja Designs Stryker Pro and never looked back. My advice? ditch the gimmicky features, poor warranty and slow customer service at NR and get something, anything else.

    I highly recommend the Baja stuff.
    Thanks OnTheMoment. Having been a looooooong time NR product user myself, I do very much appreciate the simplicity of the "Pop-Plug" style plug, there's no fiddling around with flat sides, lining the pins with their proper holes (and accidentally bending said pins), water damage, connectors accidentally coming loose, etc. That being said I have had some of my old NR's last many many years, and I have had some of the greatest adventures of my life using their light systems, plus I know the people over there personally and they are all very good people.

    However, I think there are better, simpler, and more bullet-proof (okay, bullet-resistant) ways to build a light system and the cords that go with them. Coming from a military background, I like things that at super tough, adaptable, fairly simple, and just keep working regardless of environmental conditions. Baja Designs will never build the smallest, fly-weightiest, most high-tech, bedazzled, or least expensive light on the market, what we will do though is build a solid, effective, light system that will take a serious beating and get you out and back safely. We could not offer a life-time warranty on the light head and all of the electronics if we didn't feel pretty confident in our Strykr and Strykr Pro.

    We are currently running our Trade-Up program where you can trade in your old light system (working or not) and receive a $100 credit towards one of our Strykr or Strykr Pro light systems. Contact us at Shannon@BajaDesigns.com for more info. - I will now officially step off of my soap box.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BikingScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    76

    Re (new) Night Rider Plugs Suck...

    I agree with Shannon.

    I had the old style Nite Rider Classic with the round simple plug. It worked for over 10 years, and I never, ever had a bad connection or a connection issue at all. I replaced several bulbs, and the battery, but the connection was never a problem.

    This year I wanted to upgrade because NR wanted too much to replace my battery again.

    So I went looking for a bullet-proof system.

    When I ride at night with various groups around town, I notice that there is always somebody that is having a connection issue with his/her light. And it always seems to be the most expensive set up that is causing the most problems!!!

    Soo, wanting to avoid this issue, I chose the Baja Designs light. It to has the same simple connection that my old Nite Rider Classic has. Also the light output is awesome! It's actually too bright for me on the single track, so I use the 3rd (dim) setting. So far I am very impressed by this light.
    Scott.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingScott
    I agree with Shannon.

    I had the old style Nite Rider Classic with the round simple plug. It worked for over 10 years, and I never, ever had a bad connection or a connection issue at all. I replaced several bulbs, and the battery, but the connection was never a problem.

    This year I wanted to upgrade because NR wanted too much to replace my battery again.

    So I went looking for a bullet-proof system.

    When I ride at night with various groups around town, I notice that there is always somebody that is having a connection issue with his/her light. And it always seems to be the most expensive set up that is causing the most problems!!!

    Soo, wanting to avoid this issue, I chose the Baja Designs light. It to has the same simple connection that my old Nite Rider Classic has. Also the light output is awesome! It's actually too bright for me on the single track, so I use the 3rd (dim) setting. So far I am very impressed by this light.
    Scott.
    Thanks Scott,

    I hope you and your Strykr live a long happy life together. I generally run my Strykr in the 2nd and 3rd setting as well, only only bump it up for fast downhill. It's pretty neat that technology has gotten to the point where it is possible for a light be almost too bright.

    If you haven't already become a member of the Baja Designs Nation check out the Baja Designs Facebook Page at: http://www.facebook.com/bajadesigns.bicycle

    That's where you'll get all the latest news and whatnot, I do my best to let everyone know what night rides and 12/24hr races are coming up. It'd be great to hear from you there, it's also a great spot for night riding pictures - speaking of which we have the March photo contest going on if you'd like to try to win another Strykr or even a Strykr Pro to accompany your bar light.

    I look forward to seeing you there! Let me know if you ever need anything.

    Shannon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •