mtbr member
    Sep 2004

night ride video -- gloworm x1 and x2

Using Gloworm X1 on helmet and X2 on bars, both medium trail setting.

Plenty o lumens

Watch in HD!

Patapsco After Dark Night Ride - YouTube

mtbr member
    Confirms my choices.

mtbr member
    Nice to see a video of something done in my backyard. Clearly the camera had a hard time dealing with the brightness of the lamps when the beam moved forward. The Gloworms rock.

People have asked me why I've never participated in any of the MORE night rides. That is because I don't have off when they do their rides AND I also don't like large group rides for the most part anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I like the setup a lot so far. Helmet has flood setting, and I think the X2 on the bar is flood-spot. I prefer flood on my helmet because spot causes me to fixate. I also prefer the bar to have more Lumen than helmet so helmet doesn't wash the trail features out. So this setup is great for me.

Also really like the low profile of the X1 on my helmet. Less issues with branches (I'm a tall guy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That's a killer video! Thats a sweet set up I'm assuming you were running both on the highest setting? What cameras are you using? Go pros?

Thanks for sharing nice to see videos around here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx for the video BmoreKen, makes me want to go jump on the bike this second. The X-2, X-1 combo really is a nice looking set up and is bright as the sun by the looks of your video. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Nice video.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    That's a killer video! Thats a sweet set up I'm assuming you were running both on the highest setting? What cameras are you using? Go pros?

Thanks for sharing nice to see videos around here.
    Thanks!

Helmet: Gloworm X1-v1 flood optic medium trail setting (600 lumen)

Handlebar: Gloworm X2 spot/flood optic medium trail (900 lumen)

Camera: Go Pro Hero2 HD

mtbr member
    nice. your setup seems well suited for your riding.

also seems to match the output of your mates's systems well, which i think is a factor we have been overlooking on here.

i don't personally understand the obsession with small light heads - especially when bar mounted - but if performance is not compromised then it is certainly a plus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My only regret is not waiting a month before pulling the trigger. Looks like Gloworm now have upped their lumens for both the X1 and X2, not that they need it but more lumens typically means more battery length.

Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    nice. your setup seems well suited for your riding.

also seems to match the output of your mates's systems well, which i think is a factor we have been overlooking on here.

i don't personally understand the obsession with small light heads - especially when bar mounted - but if performance is not compromised then it is certainly a plus.
    Small light head and battery are real nice for the helmet. I have the lighthead mounted just above the visor, with the wires snaking through the vent holes, and the battery mounted on the rear of the helmet. Nicely balanced, and less risk of catching an overhanging branch with the light.

For the bar, given I'm running the Loop bars, I had a bit of a challenge with avoiding interference with brake cables while trying to keep the light lower. Mounting the light by the stem would illuminate the forward bar. Works reasonably well as it is, mounted upside down on the forward bar, though it does illuminate the cables a bit. If I were running hydraulics it would probably be less so, as I could have a sharper turn in the hose near the lever than the mechanical cables are willing to tolerate without sacrificing performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    ...not that they need it but more lumens typically means more battery length.
    I think it's actually the opposite. More lumens means more current being drawn (unless the emitter is equally more efficient) which equates to LESS run time. The X2 v3 with 1500 lumens is rated at a 2:30 run time on high. The X2 v2 with the same standard 4-cell battery pack was estimated to run at least 2:45 at full power. I get close to 3 hours on high with my X2 v2.

That being said, you're setup is nice and I loved the video you made. Also, I assume you run a 2-cell battery on your helmet?

I may wait a few more years for more powerful batteries to use a 2-cell pack on my helmet with the X2. On the handlebar I prefer a cordless light (just ordered the Tazz 1200 and Volt 1200 and will keep the one I like more - I like the Volt's 2 hour run time, but the beam pattern of the Tazz is hard to beat) since it's so much quicker and easier to mount. I leave my helmet light and extension cord permanently mounted on a dedicated helmet. I just connect the battery pack and I'm ready to go. With a cordless handlebar light the mounting requires minimal time and effort. Riding at night takes me 30 seconds more to prepare in terms of mounting light systems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    I think it's actually the opposite. More lumens means more current being drawn (unless the emitter is equally more efficient) which equates to LESS run time. The X2 v3 with 1500 lumens is rated at a 2:30 run time on high. The X2 v2 with the same standard 4-cell battery pack was estimated to run at least 2:45 at full power. I get close to 3 hours on high with my X2 v2.

That being said, you're setup is nice and I loved the video you made. Also, I assume you run a 2-cell battery on your helmet?
    Thanks!

What I meant is battery runtime per lumen. The GW X2 v2 with 1200 lumens is estimated at 2:45, but the X2 v3 is 4 hours at 1200 lumen (80% power), vs. 2:30 at 1500 lumen. 4 hours at 1200 lumens is a lot of juice! I can imagine some day not needing the 4-cell battery for the bar.

Gloworm Performance Products - Gloworm X2 LED Light System V3.0 (1500 Lumen)

And yes, I am using the 2-cell battery with the X1 on my helmet.

mtbr member
    I had a bit of a challenge with avoiding interference with brake cables while trying to keep the light lower. Mounting the light by the stem would illuminate the forward bar. Works reasonably well as it is, mounted upside down on the forward bar, though it does illuminate the cables a bit. If I were running hydraulics it would probably be less so, as I could have a sharper turn in the hose near the lever than the mechanical cables are willing to tolerate without sacrificing performance.
    yes brake cables can be an issue with some light mounts ...

for a regular bar the NiteRider Pro mount i think is really nice:

mtbr member
    Thanks!

What I meant is battery runtime per lumen. The GW X2 v2 with 1200 lumens is estimated at 2:45, but the X2 v3 is 4 hours at 1200 lumen (80% power), vs. 2:30 at 1500 lumen. 4 hours at 1200 lumens is a lot of juice! I can imagine some day not needing the 4-cell battery for the bar.

Gloworm Performance Products - Gloworm X2 LED Light System V3.0 (1500 Lumen)

And yes, I am using the 2-cell battery with the X1 on my helmet.
    Where do you get the 4 hour run time on MED/80%/1200lumens from? I just find the charge time to be 4 hours from the spec on their site. At 80% power the light output is 20% less than at 100% power, so the run time at 80% should only be approximately 20% more than 2.5 hours (adding about 30 minutes).

Now 3 hours at 1200 lumens is nothing to frown upon, but it's a long way from 4 hours. Also, I think I made a mistake in my prior post. The X2 v2 was only rated at 2:30 on HIGH (which is the same run time as v3, but with less output, so it's a 'gain' which I think was what you were hinting at). It looks like a pretty good increase in efficiency with the new emitters of the X2 v3.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    Where do you get the 4 hour run time on MED/80%/1200lumens from? I just find the charge time to be 4 hours from the spec on their site. At 80% power the light output is 20% less than at 100% power, so the run time at 80% should only be approximately 20% more than 2.5 hours (adding about 30 minutes).

Now 3 hours at 1200 lumens is nothing to frown upon, but it's a long way from 4 hours. Also, I think I made a mistake in my prior post. The X2 v2 was only rated at 2:30 on HIGH (which is the same run time as v3, but with less output, so it's a 'gain' which I think was what you were hinting at). It looks like a pretty good increase in efficiency with the new emitters of the X2 v3.
    Click on the link for gloworm I posted above, there is a table in the photos showing run times at a spread of lumen levels for the v3.

mtbr member
    Click on the link for gloworm I posted above, there is a table in the photos showing run times at a spread of lumen levels for the v3.

Wow, how did I miss that? But thx again! That makes no sense, but I want to believe it. If so, I would def upgrade to an X2 v3 with 2 cell battery. I guess they are REALLY overdriving the emitters at 100% and '80%' can't really be 80% of the actual emitters abililty to handle current. But whatever. 1200 lumens for 2 hours on a 2 cell helmet mounted battery pack is phenomenal. Now I'll be completely 'wireless'!!!!

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Hi team,

Just to clarify to get 1200 lumens we are running the light at 75% of its max current. Rounded up to 80%. 1200 is 80% of 1500.

As current increases efficiency decreases. Which means run times will get shorter faster as current increases.

Also, we are far from over driving the LEDs. In fact we have been qiuite conservative with our current to the LEDs due to the overall size of the light. Although there is very effective thermal manage to built into these little guys.

Also all our lights run in excess of 90% electronic efficiency...this also contribute to good run times and less heat.

4 hours is accurate to within 20min depending on environmental conditions and state of the battery, older battery less run time etc.

I hope that helps a little.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hi team,

Just to clarify to get 1200 lumens we are running the light at 75% of its max current. Rounded up to 80%. 1200 is 80% of 1500.

As current increases efficiency decreases. Which means run times will get shorter faster as current increases.

Also, we are far from over driving the LEDs. In fact we have been qiuite conservative with our current to the LEDs due to the overall size of the light. Although there is very effective thermal manage to built into these little guys.

Also all our lights run in excess of 90% electronic efficiency...this also contribute to good run times and less heat.

4 hours is accurate to within 20min depending on environmental conditions and state of the battery, older battery less run time etc.

I hope that helps a little.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thx Bruce. I'm a very happy owner of an X2 v2. It seems that the new emitters are way more efficient (if you compare run times vs the X2 at the same lumen output). Now to see if I can sell the v2 to get my hands on the v3! You guys are doing a great job.

mtbr member
    As current increases efficiency decreases.
    this is extremely interesting ! do you have more information about this ? is there an optimum drive level like 50% for XMLs ?

single XML lights tend to drive the LEDs at higher currents - does it mean single XML lights are on average less efficient than dual or triple ?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Absolutely! The more current, the more heat, the less light per watt of energy.

For example, if you operate 2 LEDs to get 1000 lumens vs 1 LED to get 1000 lumens you will get a higher run time, using the same battery, on the dual LED.

This is not considering efficiencies of the electronics which also have an influence on these stats.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Absolutely! The more current, the more heat, the less light per watt of energy.

For example, if you operate 2 LEDs to get 1000 lumens vs 1 LED to get 1000 lumens you will get a higher run time, using the same battery, on the dual LED.

This is not considering efficiencies of the electronics which also have an influence on these stats.

Cheers

Bruce
    thanks that's good to know. luckily i don't use any single led lights.