mtbr member

Night fighter or xeccon?

Please help. Im trying to decide between these 2 light sets. Looking for any experience with them. I have searched the forums and Web. They both seam like good lights. 3 different sets in looking at. First second from the range company : and finally :

mtbr member
    I just ordered this one from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/XECCON-SPIKER-...on+spiker+1207

mtbr member
    Does the xeccon set ups included battery packs? That's where a price difference is gonna be.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Yes and it looks like the handle bar light comes with a 6 cell and a remote switch. It looks like a good deal to me. Just looking to see if anyone has any experience with them?

mtbr member
    So I ended up ordering the package with the Spyker 1211. Sounded better for my trails I ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    So I ended up ordering the package with the Spyker 1211. Sounded better for my trails I ride
    I was one of the people who reviewed the 1211 when it was first released. The 1211 is a nice lamp but it has very limited throw. While the beam pattern is designed to be a bit wider ( and it is ) it does so by sacrificing intensity. This may or may not work for you depending on how much output you generally use on your bar lamp. Since you are getting the 900 the 900 will likely be much more brighter than the 1211.

( Note; If your bar lamp is much more brighter than your helmet lamp, you lose a large degree of the usefulness of your of your helmet lamp because the close-in reflective feedback glare of the bar lamp will limit your ability to see far into the distance. In order to reverse this effect you need more throw and at least equal or more output coming from your helmet lamp. )
    When I tested the 1211 I was using it in combo with a Gloworm X2 ( on bars ) and that simply wasn't working so well because the Gloworm is so much brighter than the 1211. I did discover however that if I throttled back the GW to it's lower mode that the 1211 becomes much more useful. That said when you buy a bright lamp you want to be able to use the brighter output on occasion. That's why you bought it.

Later if you decide you need more output/throw off the helmet, still want a wider beam pattern but don't want something heavy on the helmet you might consider something like the Gemini Duo ( two emitter lamp ), the Yinding ( Duo clone ) or the Solarstorm X2 or X3. All of these lamps provide a wider beam pattern than a standard single emitter lamp but still have a decent amount of throw. They should work with your 1211 battery and complement your 900 very nicely.

Of the lamps I've mentioned only the Solarstorms I have hands on experience with. The SStorms are relatively cheap and while the quality is not great they work. There is a newer version of the SSX2 I've seen but not tried that is using the newer Cree XP-L emitter. It might actually have a little better throw than the XM-L versions. You can find it here if you are interested. The one I linked to is "without battery". I've used all of my SS's with Xeccon batteries without issue but you won't be able to use the screw on sleeve on the SS's connector. Not a problem through because it's not needed and it still works.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 08-10-2015 at 03:34 AM. Reason: correcting on emitter type o

mtbr member
    Cat, I wish xp-l meant more throw, but sadly it does not. It is simply an xm-l2 crammed into an xp-g2 size. The emitter is the exact same, so dome is also the same except the sides of it are cut flat to fit the smaller xp-g2 base.

The more throw side of it only come from the xp-l HI. That is essentially the xp-g2 throw with the xm-l2 (xp-l) output. Being I have xm-l2s that are dedommed, xp-l, xp-l hi and xp-g2 I tested to see what gains where from xp-l series. Standard xp-l has a noticeable output increase (not a whole lot but its visible) over the xm-l2, and obviously a big boost over xp-g2 for output. Xp-l hi wasn't as big of an output boost over the xm-l2, but still substantial over the xp-g2, but had the xp-g2 throw. Xm-l2 dedommed also mimics that of a xp-g2 but because of lumen loss from the dedome, xp-l is a much better option.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Thank you very much. It was based alot on your review as my decision to get the 1211 and 900 combo. Im currently only using a 400 lumen lamp on the bars and 200 on the helmet. So this will definitely be an upgraded. I purchased this set almost more for the battery's it comes with, knowing I can try different light heads latter, as you suggested. Im just getting into night riding and im hoping that this will be a good quality start to my light set. Thank you very much for your advice. I am planning to run the bar light at the lower setting and only turning it up when the need arises. That way I can take advantage of a much longer ride time at night. With the lower powered lights I'm currently running I can see most of the trail. Now that I have a good base with good battery's I will be able to try different light heads without spending a lot of money. I have noticed that I actually prefer a wider less bright and not so much of a spot light on my helmet. I notice that it just adds spread to the handle bar light when just moving forward, and when I turn my head out just continues the light to were I look. I tried a more spot type light on my helmet and noticed I felt more disoriented when moving my head around. Maybe just what my vision is used to from riding motorcycles my whole life. Head light as bright as possible And street lights or other car lights for the rest. Yes, on the trails i need to be able to light up where I look around, up, over, down, through etc. I will post my impression as soon as I recive them and go riding. Again. Thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Cat, I wish xp-l meant more throw, but sadly it does not. It is simply an xm-l2 crammed into an xp-g2 size. The emitter is the exact same, so dome is also the same except the sides of it are cut flat to fit the smaller xp-g2 base.

The more throw side of it only come from the xp-l HI. That is essentially the xp-g2 throw with the xm-l2 (xp-l) output. Being I have xm-l2s that are dedommed, xp-l, xp-l hi and xp-g2 I tested to see what gains where from xp-l series. Standard xp-l has a noticeable output increase (not a whole lot but its visible) over the xm-l2, and obviously a big boost over xp-g2 for output. Xp-l hi wasn't as big of an output boost over the xm-l2, but still substantial over the xp-g2, but had the xp-g2 throw. Xm-l2 dedommed also mimics that of a xp-g2 but because of lumen loss from the dedome, xp-l is a much better option.
    Okay. I was just basing my opinion on what I've seen with simple P-60 drop-ins. Most Solarstorm lamps are still using standard XM-L U2. Compared to those the XP-L could be brighter. Only Gearbest were using XM-L2 with the SStorms as far as I know. The SSX2 I have is a SS-clone and is using XM-L U2. Did good job so XM-L2 and XP-L should be better. Anyway since a lot of the cheap lights using Cree XM-L2 are still using the T6 bin, if you wanted a cooler white light the XP-L V5 might be the way to go.

BTW, I just found out that Kaidomain is selling P-60 drop-ins with the Cree XP-L HI ( High Intensity ). Heck, just got the one with XP-L V5 a couple months ago..Time to upgrade already. Not to mention they have the same upgrade for C8 and C2 pills for flashlights. I still have my original 3-mode SF-15 torch ( C2 host ) that I've had for years. I replaced the original SSC P-7 D emitter with a replacement pill/emitter ( XM-L ) some years ago. Damn thing is bright! Definitely my best throwing torch. Since they have XP-L HI pills for those now I might as well buy one of those so I can annoy my neighbors at night even more.

Heck, how much you want to bet that Gearbest will come out with a XP-L HI "neutral" version of the XT40. If that happens I'll have to upgrade again! Ehh...maybe not. I'll wait for the reviews first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    Thank you very much. It was based alot on your review as my decision to get the 1211 and 900 combo. Im currently only using a 400 lumen lamp on the bars and 200 on the helmet. So this will definitely be an upgraded. I purchased this set almost more for the battery's it comes with, knowing I can try different light heads latter, as you suggested....
    Sounds good to me. The 1211 will be an upgrade from a 200 lumen lamp no doubt about that. Xeccon builds great batteries so you should be very pleased with those. Let us know how you like the 900 / 1211 combo when you get it. No one's done a user review of the 900 that I know of.

Later if you need more on the helmet you still have options.

mtbr member
    I ordered these lights on Saturday. At 1pm Tuesday they have already arrived in sandiego. Nice. These lights are tinny compared to what I've been using. Very nicely made. Even the handle bar clamps feels very strong. Charging the batteries now. Time for to go to work. Can't wait to get home and see how bright the really are

∞~∞~∞~∞~∞
    So now that you've had these lights for a couple months, what's your thoughts on them?

I'm considering getting the spiker 1207 as a helmet light since the BT21's are on back order.
    Rick~
    16' Superfly 9.6
    Tucson, Az.

mtbr member
    I love them. Very well built. Bright enough that when the moon is out I run them on low. No moon I turn them up all the way. I've been out for 5 hours running med to high the whole time and have yet to get the indicator in the last stage, red I think. Every one that has rode with me really likes them also. Im very happy With my decision. And the customer service was great.
    I would like to get the other Helmet light from them to try that is more of a spot light. But this one does a great job. No complaints

mtbr member
    The s12 two I would like to try.

∞~∞~∞~∞~∞
    I tried contacting MTBRevolution but it says the page cannot be opened…..how were you able to contact them?

I am very eager to purchase a helmet light since I had to wait forever from GearBest to eventually tell me the BT21's were on back order.
    Rick~
    16' Superfly 9.6
    Tucson, Az.

mtbr member
    http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.p...tegory&path=20 here is the link to their website. I just ordered from there, paid with PayPal and paid the extra shipping, and put notes in what I wanted as far as shipping etc. He contacted me the same day and got it out quick