Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

New XML Cygolite.

Looks like Cygolite has jumped on the XML wagon with their new Turbo 740 Xtra. Cygolite claims 740 lumens from this package and comes with the Xtra capasity battery used in the Triden X Xtra.Wouldn't be surprised if the lumens are even a touch higher as interesting enough it comes in at ten lumens behind the more expensive Triden X XPG. If this new offering is built with the same quality their Triden X and Centauri is, this will be one of the better bargains available at just $159.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I see these lights for sale at quite a few sites, no stock and very little info. Looks like it may use the same helmet mount as the expillion. I'm hoping the tint and beam are good. If it really does put out 740 lumens it'll do well enough at its price point for the brick and mortar shops to compete with the magicshine.

Same battery as TridenX is perfect. I've been looking for a cheap light to mount on my fork brace. If it gets knocked into the path of the crown or vibration kills it, oh well now I have a spare battery. The foliage is overgrowing some of the trails around here. Its not much of a problem in the daytime, but its blocking the bar and helmet lights enough to make night riding difficult. I'm hoping to mount the light low enough to shine underneath a lot of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I just got off the phone with MEC here in North Vancouver,and yes your right on the availability. Their shipment was delayed and are expecting the light in a week or so. Looks to be a good $160 light though.

My other bike is a GasGas
    Sep 2011
    Bike Bling has it at...

List = $200
    "Our price" = $160.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Funny, nothing on the cygolite website yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I own a Turbo 740 Xtra. Rode with it last night. The light is tiny, light and the Xtra battery is small for the long burn time. No comparison to other lights, but this little thing is bright and has a large hotspot with a very wide flood.
    No helmet mount included. Still a bargain if you are planning to use it on the bars, although this is light enough to make a really comfortable helmet light if the mount becomes available. *** Looks to use the Expillion mounting system, so that helmet mount may be useable.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by live2play View Post
    Funny, nothing on the cygolite website yet.
    It's up now Turbo 740 Xtra
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

endorphin junkie
    Can anybody confirm if this uses the Expilion helmet mount?

EDIT: nevermind, picked up a TurboJet series mount at a local shop.

According to Cygolite website, they now have a universal mount for all newer lights.Two part numbers, depending on which battery system:
    Cygolite: Spare Parts
    Last edited by dobovedo; 11-18-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice! Thanks for the update.
    I ordered another 740 Xtra from bicycleoutfittersindy.com for $135 (used Cyber-Monday code CHRISTMAS11). Will order the helmet mount now.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by los36 View Post
    Nice! Thanks for the update.
    I ordered another 740 Xtra from bicycleoutfittersindy.com for $135 (used Cyber-Monday code CHRISTMAS11). Will order the helmet mount now.
    I've always admired the design of the Cygo lights although I've never seen one in actual use.
    Nice to see another company compete with the current array of manufactures. I'd like to see some user beam photo's of the 740. I'm just curious how well it puts out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does anyone have any picturess of the beam pattern of the CygoLite Turbo 740? I know their site has some but just wanted to see how acurate their pictures are. Many thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'll try to take one tonight. It won't be on the trail and I won't have anything other lights to compare it to. But, I'm doing a ride tomorrow night (assuming the weather man is right) and I'll bring my camera. I'll try to update by Wednesday night.
    -Carlos

Flux

endorphin junkie
    I don't have pictures, but I'd say the website shots give a fairly accurate depiction. About the only difference I would note is that the hotspot on mine is a bit crisper/sharper at the edges... less fade/blending into the surrounding flood.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    I don't have pictures, but I'd say the website shots give a fairly accurate depiction. About the only difference I would note is that the hotspot on mine is a bit crisper/sharper at the edges... less fade/blending into the surrounding flood.
    I agree with this.
    -Carlos

Flux

Sup
    I have a cygo 750 triden and the helmet mount works with the turbo 740
    both great lights

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

psycho cyclo addict
    I have a Cygolite TridenX 600 that I wear on my helmet as the only light in front (with a small red blinky on the back of my saddle) for trail and pavement rides. Just bought one for my girlfriend because it is more than enough illumination, the battery lasts quite a long time and the price is awesome.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry guys, rainout last night. I did take a shot of it in my backyard. I'll post it up. The beam really is just like the one in the Cygolite picture.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey Los36, can you post up some shots of the Turbo 740? I'm strongly considering this light and wanted to see how it would look on the trail. Many thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    Hey Los36, can you post up some shots of the Turbo 740? I'm strongly considering this light and wanted to see how it would look on the trail. Many thanks
    Man, I'm sorry! I totally forgot about this over the holidays. I've got two now: bar and helmet. I can say that they throw plenty of light, but I wish one of them had a wider beam. Otherwise, I've ridden with them 4 times and they're problem free.
    I'll try to post pics tonight. I don't have a real camera for my ride tonight, so I'll take them afterward in the school playground behind my house.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Do you think the beam is a bit too narrow? I was looking at one of these or the new Gemini Xera.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do you think the beam is a bit too narrow? I was looking at one of these or the new Gemini Xera.
    After riding with them a few times, yes. I'd like a slightly wider beam or a spot / flood option. The beam is good enough and I don't plan on buying new lights for a couple of years at least. We'll see how everything holds up. Cygolite seems to be helpful and stand behind their products (called and talked to them about the helmet mount).
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Have you seen the Gemini Xera's beam pattern and do you think it compares?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Have you seen the Gemini Xera's beam pattern and do you think it compares?
    I have not seen a Gemini.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Light Test & Beam Shots | Gemini Lights Based on their beam shots would you say the 740 is similar?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Light Test & Beam Shots | Gemini Lights Based on their beam shots would you say the 740 is similar?
    Turbo 740 Xtra You decide.
    To me, the image on the Gemini site that looks most similar, is the Xera with reflector. Those look like nice lights.
    -Carlos

Flux

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast