mtbr member

New From Trail LED

We are pleased to announce that we have upgraded our entire line with the new Cree XP-L. This allows us to produce more lumens with more efficiency than the Current Cree XML-2 die. In addition it allows us to use a higher CRI and more accurate Kelvin temperature of 5000-5500k for a true daylight white. MTBR will be reviewing one of the updated models in the upcoming light shootout. All lights are now shipping with this upgrade.

Happy Riding
    Trail LED
    Trail Led
    Last edited by zen bicycle; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Will take a look...never heard of XP-L... Mind your link - there is 3 'l' in there, so it is not working...

EDIT: Holy cow. $1,184.99 for a bike light...that is impressive! Awesome engineering happening there, I can imagine!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Seriously impressive! Put me in my place for sure. I've been sitting around here all weekend trying to decide if I should shell the extra 100 bucks to get the XS/X1 combo instead of the X2/X1 that I've been wanting for so long.

mtbr member

Trailled ; XXX

The Tri-X looks interesting. This new emitter ( XP-L ) is also interesting. Since this is a new level for the Cree XP series I'm wondering if an XM-L3 might be somewhere in the future. Since the XP series is a smaller footprint ( vs. XM series ) these buggers could provide some monster throw ( with the right optic or reflector ). If you truly have these in 5000K-6500K ( K=Kelvin ) temp range that would be awesome. On a side note the thermal characteristics of the XP-L emitters look really good, even @ 85°C.

From the comments I've read output for the XXX is awesome ( I'm talking just the 3-up now ) Still it seems there is no way to easily adjust the angle of the lamp while on the fly. Not really a big issue for me as I don't race but all things considered the mounting system has me a bit hesitant for a lamp with a $350 price tag.

No mention is made about the choice of optics being use or if there are other choices in optics if you wish to make a change. From what I gathered by the comments the center light uses a spot and the side ones use wider optics.. (?)

No info on the battery specs. Bummer. Voltage?...Amp hour rating?....cell count?...brand of cells?...connectors? Couldn't help but wonder if the lamp can be sold without battery and if other 7.4 - 8.4 volt batteries can be used if you already have a good size battery?

Workin for the weekend!
    Is this a spoof? 10LEDs with 6000 lumens? So they can see you trail riding from space?...

#overkill
    Todd

mtbr member
    Trophy, check out the charge times we offer compared to competitors if you are into endurance events

Cat- We can't give away all our secrets now can we
    On the helmet mount, pretty much everybody says the same thing until they try it then the response is insert what you say to your sig other on valentines day. All use the same optics to generate a smooth beam out to about 160 degrees for no hot spot and excellent peripheral vision.

Todd, The Halo was designed to push the limits along with a few other things. It does that better than anything else out there we think.

#change

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle View Post
    ....Cat- We can't give away all our secrets now can we
    On the helmet mount, pretty much everybody says the same thing until they try it then the response is insert what you say to your sig other on valentines day. All use the same optics to generate a smooth beam out to about 160 degrees for no hot spot and excellent peripheral vision.

Todd, The Halo was designed to push the limits along with a few other things. It does that better than anything else out there we think.

#change
    Hey, I'm not asking for trade secrets so don't go DiNotte on me. Info on basic battery specifications ( voltage, amp hour rating ) should be public. If the lamp is compatible with the batteries that I already have I'd like to know about it. If I were going to lay down the Benjamins I would certainly like to know what exactly I'm buying.

I'm not sure I understand your description of the beam pattern ( of the XXX ). Are you saying there is no discernible hot spot? If so I'm not sure I would find that useable. While I might like a wider beam pattern off the helmet I still want some distance throw. Too wide and the beam pattern is going to reflect off of any near by foliage and cause a heck of a lot of "Close-in" feedback glare. In my quest for the perfect helmet lamp, time and time again I continue to find this a problem when using helmet lamps operating with multiple emitters.

mtbr member
    It is part of our secret sauce for how we get our runtimes and charge times, but no it is not compatible with the battery you already have. Cat, you ask for more than most users as they are concerned with accurate runtimes and that is where it stops, but we will probably change by the time everyone catches up so here you go.
    Batteries
    18.5v 2600mah Li-poly pack
    18.5v 5200mah Li-poly pack
    Protection is built into the packs as well as in the light for over discharge protection
    Smart chargers for overcharge protection
    Suffice it to say our runtimes are conservative and our 1 to 1 charge time is accurate which has been verified by third parties.

For the beam we use a TIR optic that produces an area of concentration about 4 - 6 feet wide to cover the entire single track plus a little bit of each side. Then the beam slowly reduces in intensity till about 160 degrees with no rings, or artifacts in the beam, just a smooth fade. This eliminates your night vision being blown out from a hot spot or center spot and allows you to use your peripheral vision while riding the trail. So you see the trail in front of you and can use your peripheral vision like daylight. I have not had any reports of feedback glare, and have not experienced it myself even in white sand and white dust conditions like at the USAC 24 hour nationals in NM this year which was very white and very dusty with over 400 riders stirring the desert dirt up. Foliage has not been a problem ever.

If there is anything I have missed please let me know, but I have been as open and honest as possible

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi zen! Can you tell did you have to change the TIR optics along with the new XP-L emitters? XP-L has smaller footprint but the dye is about the same as XM-L2, so the optics should not change much if any.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle View Post
    It is part of our secret sauce for how we get our runtimes and charge times, but no it is not compatible with the battery you already have. Cat, you ask for more than most users as they are concerned with accurate runtimes and that is where it stops, but we will probably change by the time everyone catches up so here you go.
    Batteries
    18.5v 2600mah Li-poly pack
    18.5v 5200mah Li-poly pack
    Protection is built into the packs as well as in the light for over discharge protection
    Smart chargers for overcharge protection
    Suffice it to say our runtimes are conservative and our 1 to 1 charge time is accurate which has been verified by third parties.

For the beam we use a TIR optic that produces an area of concentration about 4 - 6 feet wide to cover the entire single track plus a little bit of each side. Then the beam slowly reduces in intensity till about 160 degrees with no rings, or artifacts in the beam, just a smooth fade. This eliminates your night vision being blown out from a hot spot or center spot and allows you to use your peripheral vision while riding the trail. So you see the trail in front of you and can use your peripheral vision like daylight. I have not had any reports of feedback glare, and have not experienced it myself even in white sand and white dust conditions like at the USAC 24 hour nationals in NM this year which was very white and very dusty with over 400 riders stirring the desert dirt up. Foliage has not been a problem ever.

If there is anything I have missed please let me know, but I have been as open and honest as possible
    Well you seem to have a unique product. ( referring to the XXX ) As strange as it might sound I actual do own two 18.5 Li-ion batteries, although they have been sitting around gathering dust for about three years.

Just wondering; could you describe how the UI works and it's pattern of operation? How many modes? Circular operation? > ( H-M-L-H-M-L...press/hold for off ) or Up-down / down-up > (L-M-H...press/hold...H-M-L-off ) ??
    With a product this unique it would be nice to know.

mtbr member
    We did not have to change the optics for this upgrade

From our website for the UI Operation Manual

First and Foremost

!!!WARNING!!!!

Do not look at the light when plugging it in or turning it on.

Do not shine it into other people’s eyes.

These LED's come with a warning from the manufacturer about permanent eye damage, and you will know what we mean when you turn it on.

Operation

Steady Mode- to operate the light apply battery power first. Then click (short press of the button). Light will turn on in its last mode. Click the button to alternate between low and high. To go into emergency mode (Ultra low output) hold the button down until the light flashes and is in emergency mode.

To turn off the light hold the button down until light goes off.

Flash Mode- Apply power to light from battery pack. Hold button down until light begins to flash.

Choose flash pattern by clicking the button to rotate through the 6 available flash patterns.

To turn off the light hold the down button until light goes off.

mtbr member
    Okay, two basic steady modes ( H-L ) not counting the press to hold emergency low mode which really wouldn't come into play while riding. Can you tell me at what level the low setting is set at, percentage wise?

I do find it odd though that the main menu has only two basic modes but the flash menu has a choice of 6 flash patterns. ( as though someone really needs 6 flash patterns ).

mtbr member
    Yes, two modes. when you are riding it is much easier than having to cycle through modes. 50%

Flash modes it remembers the last flash mode you were in so find the one you want or works then it is just off and on.

Dissolved member
    I just got my new XXX and this thing is a game changer, for me it certainly is. The UI is very convenient, helmet mounting is practical with no dangly bits / flimsy joints, it is feather light and the light output is incredible - bright, nice color, nice wide yet long throw. Wow.

The many flash patterns make sense to me - it is not about on/off, but you also switch between various low/high frequencies so you can actually see what's ahead when it is flashing. Just pick one that is the easiest on your eyes.

mtbr member
    Tonight I was looking at the beam pattern photo of the XXX on the MTBR shootout page. Surprisingly it didn't look as bright as I was expecting. Then again looking at the shallow reflectors perhaps it is more designed for those seeking the wider beam pattern. Beam pattern does look quite wide.

Then again I can't help thinking that perhaps the MTBR photo is a bit off. Maybe they were using the lower setting?? On occasion ( although rarely ) MTBR has been known to get the photo wrong. Zen, do you have any comments to add? If these photos are off I figure they are doing you a disservice.

mtbr member
    ^^Agreed, it really didn't look that bright in the backyard shot.

I'm also interested in the XXX as I'll be in the market for lights very soon. Would you guys that own them say that it's enough on it's own, or do you feel you still need a light on the bars for nighttime single track?

mtbr member
    Sorry for not getting back to your questions I didn't get notified that there was activity on here. Cat, I think the light on the photo might be aimed a bit low so it is blowing out the near field of the camera more than anything. night shots are tricky. Francis has a new DS for the 2015 shootout so I will ask him to re-take all the beam shots from all 3 models just in case. Throw is not an issue. HPIguy, that is a subjective question, so the best I can answer is it depends. Full race speeds on a new trail, no not enough for me at least(I am pretty night blind). Feeling comfortable on a trail for normal human yes. In fact several of our customers don't even run it on high most of the time. Hopefully some other owners will chime in with their experience though. hope that helps at least a little