Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

New SSC P7 Bike Lights at DX - Eastward

Looks like DX just got a few new lights in. They do not come with batteries but they do come with some nice 18650 holders:

Eastward SSC P7
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.50973
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.50972
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.50971

Eastward MC-E
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.50946

Very tempting, I have tons of 18650's for my Magicshine lights and DIY packs.

Edit:
    Just bit the bullet on the larger 55mm model.

UPDATE:

Just picked up the light. The build quality is OK, nothing much different from the Magicshine lights or the torches from DX. The screw from the metal clamp looks to be rubbing on the cord. Though the LED seems loose as it has no screws to hold down the puck. The battery pack is parallel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SSC P7 Bike Lights at DX - Eastward-pack.jpg  

New SSC P7 Bike Lights at DX - Eastward-light.jpg  

Last edited by norcom; 02-10-2011 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    One of them is a MC-E light

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CathastrophiX
    One of them is a MC-E light
    You're absolutely right, I didn't notice that. I was wondering why it was cheaper.

mtbr member
    I really like that battery idea, will certainly eliminate the problem that grouped packs (mainly magicshine) are having.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Nice to see some competition for magicshine and I've generally found Eastward YJ flashlights to be a level above that of Ultra/Trust/Spider/I'm on/fire lights.

Only problem I see is it appears that the battery is a 4P configuration which means this will likely not be a well regulated light as the battery voltage drops below the vf of the emitter, but I guess with 4 cells wired in parallel this would take considerably longer to happen so perhaps not that big an issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick
    Only problem I see is it appears that the battery is a 4P configuration...

Actually I think it's still 2S2P. I've taken apart the Magicshine battery and all the negative terminals were connected together while the positive at the top were separate by two.

mtbr member
    Interesting....Not sure I like the bar mount but if it works I guess that counts for something.
    This new battery holder is the real question. It looks as though the end cap slides into two small screw holes. I can't help but wonder just WHAT is holding it on once you have it together. The battery bag is totally retarded. Just why they put the Velcro strap long ways I haven't a clue.

If someone gets one of these please post up. There are some issues here that can only be answered by an owner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Interesting....Not sure I like the bar mount but if it works I guess that counts for something.
    This new battery holder is the real question. It looks as though the end cap slides into two small screw holes. I can't help but wonder just WHAT is holding it on once you have it together. The battery bag is totally retarded. Just why they put the Velcro strap long ways I haven't a clue.

If someone gets one of these please post up. There are some issues here that can only be answered by an owner.

I think the negative terminal plate rotates inside the end cap. The two small screws hold the terminals in place when you screw on the cap; so the terminals don't rotate just the cap.

The order says "Waiting on Supplier" which means a couple of days to months.

No, that's not phonetic
    The end cap threads onto the battery holder, and those two alignment posts keep the negative battery contacts from spinning (the gold plate with the springs appears to rotate relative to the end cap). A funky but possibly functional design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What would the estimated lumens really be. 550-600.

I'm assuming the brightness would be the same as the Magicshine. Is the MX E brighter than the P-7. Also, do you guys know if that is a C bin or D bin p-7.

MB

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    I really like that battery idea, will certainly eliminate the problem that grouped packs (mainly magicshine) are having.

Grouped packs are not the problem. Crappy cells are the problem. This solution doesn't do much to alleviate that problem. This just relieves the seller from any battery/charging responsibility and leaves it up to the end user to work it out on their own.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Grouped packs are not the problem. Crappy cells are the problem. This solution doesn't do much to alleviate that problem. This just relieves the seller from any battery/charging responsibility and leaves it up to the end user to work it out on their own.
    Grouped packs are the problem though whether it's because people don't care for their batteries and are running them to 0%. Not knowing how to care for batteries is also a problem.

Sorry but grouped packs with **** cells, shitty or no bms's, and people who discharge them to 0% over and over are the problem.

I still think that's a 4P pack... they only have a single large battery direction icon so all the batteries must face with their positive end in and the negatives are together at the screw cap end. You simply can't make a 2s2p pack with all the negatives wired together like that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I still think that's a 4P pack... they only have a single large battery direction icon so all the batteries must face with their positive end in and the negatives are together at the screw cap end. You simply can't make a 2s2p pack with all the negatives wired together like that.

Nope, you can see how 2S2P magicshine battery works in this picture below. (not mine) All the negative ends are attached as one. I found that very weird when I took it apart but that's exactly how mine was as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SSC P7 Bike Lights at DX - Eastward-attachment.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    Nope, you can see how 2S2P magicshine battery works in this picture below. (not mine) All the negative ends are attached as one. I found that very weird when I took it apart but that's exactly how mine was as well.
    Sorry to have to disagree with you on this. A magicshine battery pack doesn't have all the negatives tied together. What they have is two pairs of batteries tied together on the bottom, within each pair the + and - ends are tied together, but the pairs are oriented opposite of each other. See the attached photo of a pack I took apart to repair... the spot welds gave way on the right hand side causing intermittent operation. Notice how the two cells on the left have their + side up and the two on the right have their - side up.

Here's a good reference for battery wiring that will show you what I mean (select 2S 2P):

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SSC P7 Bike Lights at DX - Eastward-img_0456.jpg  

Last edited by kwarwick; 01-17-2011 at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sorry to have to disagree with you on this. A magicshine battery pack doesn't have all the negatives tied together. What they have is two pairs of batteries tied together on the bottom, within each pair the + and - ends are tied together, but the pairs are oriented opposite of each other. See the attached photo of a pack I took apart to repair... the spot welds gave way on the right hand side causing intermittent operation. Notice how the two cells on the left have their + side up and the two on the right have their - side up.

Here's a good reference for battery wiring that will show you what I mean (select 2S 2P):

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

You're right! I was just looking over the PCB from my battery pack. Because of the single lead that goes from the bottom of the pack to the top I figured they were all negative.

So why are all the cells tied together at the bottom with the square piece? I see they're connected individually but they're also tied together. I've built three 2S2P holders but I didn't connect any of them up like this. All the connections between the + and - at the bottom are individual and at the top the + and - at the top are tied together. They work though, I have 8.4v.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I didn't realize it was possible to build packs like this. I built my packs without the lead where the red X is. The other information I found on the net did not require that lead and it still works without it. Is there any drawback to not having that connection?

Edit:

AH, that's a balancing wire and I don't need it in my packs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You're right! I was just looking over the PCB from my battery pack. Because of the single lead that goes from the bottom of the pack to the top I figured they were all negative.

So why are all the cells tied together at the bottom with the square piece? I see they're connected individually but they're also tied together. I've built three 2S2P holders but I didn't connect any of them up like this. All the connections between the + and - at the bottom are individual and at the top the + and - at the top are tied together. They work though, I have 8.4v.
    If you check out http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html with 2s 2p selected and look in the middle of the four batteries you'll see them all tied together exactly as in the magicshine pack. The only difference is the magicshine battery pack is "folded" at that junction. That red wire in the photo is for the battery PCB to monitor the charge each pair individually.

I didn't realize it was possible to build packs like this. I built my packs without the lead where the red X is. The other information I found on the net did not require that lead and it still works without it. Is there any drawback to not having that connection?

Edit:

AH, that's a balancing wire and I don't need it in my packs.
    Even without a balance wire I think there is still some benefit to keep the lead where the red X is. With that configuration the top and bottom battery are forced to balance each other out by being tied directly together at both their + and - ends. The pack will work without, but individual cells in the top or bottom string can get uneven charges which could lead to premature cell failure or in extreme cases nasty things like cells going into thermal runaway. Trust me you don't want that with lithium cells!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you check out http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html with 2s 2p selected and look in the middle of the four batteries you'll see them all tied together exactly as in the magicshine pack. The only difference is the magicshine battery pack is "folded" at that junction. That red wire in the photo is for the battery PCB to monitor the charge each pair individually.

Yes! Thanks for explaining. Now I'm thinking it's a 4P as well. Maybe there's a PCB at the top and the holder's designed for non protected cells? Guess I'll just have to wait until it gets here to find out.

Do It Yourself
    Grouped packs are the problem though whether it's because people don't care for their batteries and are running them to 0%. Not knowing how to care for batteries is also a problem.

Sorry but grouped packs with **** cells, shitty or no bms's, and people who discharge them to 0% over and over are the problem.

So every bike light company is doing it wrong...
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The problem a FEW people have had you mean?

That Eastward pack does look nice. But it is 4 batteries in parallel. So only 3.7v max. Therefore lots of current.. good run time... but the P7 will dim noticably I understand when the voltage starts dipping below 3.7v...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9speed
    The problem a FEW people have had you mean?

That Eastward pack does look nice. But it is 4 batteries in parallel. So only 3.7v max. Therefore lots of current.. good run time... but the P7 will dim noticably I understand when the voltage starts dipping below 3.7v...
    The cell unbalancing issue is not uncommon (plenty of reports of short runtimes).

I dont see any quad cell chargers though... you're looking at an extra 40$ to get this going

On the bright side, you can carry a single spare 18650 to give enough light to get home with, and you can refresh your batter pack every year or two for 20$.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    The cell unbalancing issue is not uncommon (plenty of reports of short runtimes).

I dont see any quad cell chargers though... you're looking at an extra 40$ to get this going

On the bright side, you can carry a single spare 18650 to give enough light to get home with, and you can refresh your batter pack every year or two for 20$.
    2 X WF-139 = quad bay. I'm still not going to be convinced that the battery holder isn't 2S2P until someone sticks some voltage probes into the output connector. I will admit though it does look like 4P.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    So every bike light company is doing it wrong...
    Not just every quality bike light company. Almost every camera, camcorder, and most laptop batteries. There is nothing wrong with gang packs when they are built correctly with quality cells. The balance issues also have nothing to do with how the user treated the pack. The protection PCB, even in the crappy packs, prevents any user action from impacting the balance of the pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast