mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Which of the New Small Lights

$46.99 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

FandyFire X2 2 x Cree XM-L U2 1200lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Light - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

UltraFire D99 2 x Cree T6 1600lm 5-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650)

Manafont.com | $62.99 2 X Cree XM-L U2 4-Modes LED Bicycle Light - Black (18650 Battery Pack Inlcuded)

Ok.....Im trying to find out which of the budget small dedicated bike lights to buy is the brightest
    I know some of these lights have been re branded.

It seems like the weakest link is the battery. So which replacement battery would you get to run on high for 2.5 hours before shutdown

I know its hard to test these lights all together as you tend to buy only one.....but maybe somebody has!!

Thanks for any advise

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobylight View Post
    $46.99 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

FandyFire X2 2 x Cree XM-L U2 1200lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Light - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

UltraFire D99 2 x Cree T6 1600lm 5-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650)

Manafont.com | $62.99 2 X Cree XM-L U2 4-Modes LED Bicycle Light - Black (18650 Battery Pack Inlcuded)

Ok.....Im trying to find out which of the budget small dedicated bike lights to buy is the brightest
    I know some of these lights have been re branded.

It seems like the weakest link is the battery. So which replacement battery would you get to run on high for 2.5 hours before shutdown

I know its hard to test these lights all together as you tend to buy only one.....but maybe somebody has!!

Thanks for any advise
    I think if you're waiting for a shoot-out you might be waiting for some time. I'm surprised actually that more people aren't posting up about the Solarstorm X2. Though I can't say for sure I would bet that the SS with it's U2 emitters coupled with reflectors would not only be brighter but offer a little better beam pattern. I vaguely recall that someone with a SS reported that the strobe on the SS was more of a slow flash which makes it more practical for road use.( more so than the D99 which uses a very bright high frequency flicker ).

About the battery and run time; A lot depends on the quality of the cells that come with your lamp. I did a run time test using a standard 4 cell battery with the Quad XM-L I was testing. I was surprised to see it get 2hrs on high. Considering that it is a Quad lamp that is very good run time for a standard battery. If you buy an aftermarket battery you should look to get one listing 5600mAh or higher. Then if you vary the output to your lamp between the mid and high modes you should have no problem getting 2.5hr of run time.

If I get a chance I'll try to do a quick run time test of the D99 with D/X 4-cell so you get an idea of how well a cheap battery will do. Just keep in mind not all cheap batteries are the same. If mine works well doesn't mean that the one you buy will be the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for advise Cat
    Took my Skyray off last night as the nights are getting lighter here.
    I put two C8's on the bars which created a reasonable light and lighter than the SK
    I think the Solarstorm X2 will be the next purchase and as you said try the battery out and see
    Its a good price from Fasttech (as is the SK too at the mo)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'v had the SolarStorm out on three rides so far, and I'm still very pleased with it.

Started to write something longer here, but decided to post it to the SolarStorm/FandyFire thread instead.

mtbr member
    I am sorry, but I'm not going to help you deciding at all... After all, I'm bringing in one more : why not considering the D50 as well?