Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Magicshine Lights on Eurobike

61K views 158 replies 28 participants last post by  pabcor 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#28 ·
I think that their literature is messed up. They say that the battery packs are 6 cells, but they appear to be big enough to be 8 cell to me. Their Eagle F3 has an 8 cell battery and that's a 3000 lumen light (claimed). So why would they use a smaller pack with a light that's twice as bright and lasts 3 hours on high? It makes so sense!

On second inspection it appears that the battery pack has a triangular shape, which means that it's either a 6 cell or a 10 cell.

Magicshine has different connectors for their high current lights. The dual led 880 had an oblong connectors when it first came out, not their traditional round connector. It don't know if it still does. The eagle f3 looks like it has a keyed connector that looks different from the two other. The key on the 908 looks different to the F3, so that would make four different connectors. That to me suggests that each level of current gets it's own connector.

Obviously the 908 is will draw a massive current if its going to be anywhere near 8000 lumens.

#38 ·
These new lamps look really nice. I like the MJ 906. Some of these include a remote control. What's the deal on that? Are these wireless remotes? Of course the big question is, "How much output are these new lamps really going to produce"? I'm having a hard time accepting 1000 lumen per emitter with the battery set-up that is being used.

I think if they want the night riding world to take these lamps seriously they either need to send a couple over to Francois ( MTBR ) for review or get someone on the forum to review and provide some trail photo's. Too late in the year for me to do a review. Already the trees are starting to shed leaves. Won't be too long before the trails in my area are covered with leaves, not good for trail photos.

#39 · (Edited)
+1^^^

Magic Shine was starting to get my respect as their product line improved over the years. I still think they are much improved from the early 808 days however I cant say I'm impressed with their new lumen claims, they seemed to have regressed. However even if the true lumens are 75% of claimed, those will still be pretty potent products. Heat fins look impressive although I'm not a big fan of the plastic housing. So as Cat mentioned we wont know how these things measure up till some quality reviews.

#43 ·
I own a Magicshine F3 it is fantastic powerfull light ,long run time ,the best light ever I had owed , my current light set is : EAGLE F3,SECA 1400 L ,SECA 1700 L, Exposure Diablo MK1 , BT70 and SS X3 .:thumbsup::);) and on the way the new Magicshine MJ 908 it will be arriving in my home next monday :);)

#44 ·
Can you take some beamshots? I would love to see a comparisons of the F3 to the BT70, SS x3, and the new 908. How much did you pay for the 908, if you don't mind me asking?

Magicshine Germany has the set 908 for around $300
Magicshine MJ 908 - 8000 Lumen, www.Magicshine.de

To rich for my blood, but that puts it in direct competition with the excellent Glowworm XS for $315. That's going to tough to beat. It puts out 2200 lumen!

#45 ·
I got a great deal for it $230 even when I gonna pay 60% custom tax!Soon I can take some picture I´ll post it but I can say in advance Eagle F3 is other league we can´t put it together BT 70 and SS x3 , Eagle F3 has better quality light (no blushes) and power than both light up Light& Motion Seca 1700 L and Seca 1400 L !The only downside Eagle F3 bar suport can´t accept 35 mm bars.

#46 ·
Great!

I think the comparison pictures are very helpful for those deciding if they should go cheap route Solarstorm/Nitefighter versus the more expensive Magicshine or upper end Light and Motion. Right now we don't really have to many comparison of these lights versus each other. We have lots of shots of the lights on their own, but not together.

$230 for the 908 or the F3? I'm surprised that you like the F3 better than the Light and Motion lights. Aren't those $400 lights?

#155 ·
Good size and weight (MJ-900 only 55 grs! head only (98 grs MJ-906 similar size MJ-808E))

View attachment 1018472

MJ-900 left and MJ-858 right (similar power than MJ-808E XM-L2, 800-900 real lumens)

View attachment 1018509
@pabcor, side subject, where'd you get that display? Did you make it? I'm building an MTB balance board and need to figure out how to mount the handlebar.

#51 ·
There's alot of blue in the 900 light (look around the spot). Even 3c tint looks more like the 858 which 3c - 4c tint range is neutral which is yellowish or like 3d, has a slight reddish tint to the spill. Blue tint indicates cool white range.

Now this is my opinion. After finding neutral white I can't stand cool white tint lights.

#55 ·
MJ-902 light a bit warmer than MJ-900
I'm sorry but when you compare two lamps you need to project the light on a wall that is white. Window blinds aren't the best for comparisons. Also, not a good idea to show both beam patterns side by side as there is always going to be some bleed over ( brighter to the less brighter making the lesser light look brighter..:nono: ) Better to just do one at a time, especially if one is a warmer tint. Otherwise the cool tint will bleed over to the warmer ( making it look less warmer ).

@pabcor: You seem to have a relationship to the Magicshine products. If you have a good report with the MS people you might want to let them know that their ( new ) products are drawing attention. That said they would draw even more attention if they offered the buyer a choice between a "cool white " emitter and a "warm white" emitter. If you've read over some of the other threads you will see that the warmer emitter tints are becoming very popular ( * at least on our side of the world ). Personally, I'd loved to see some of the new Magicshine lamps offered with the choice of warmer emitter tints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.