Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 198
  1. #1
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    854

    New Lupine Tesla ---700 Lumens---

    Found this over on the Lupine Forum.

    Our brand new Tesla light will provide about 700 Lumens at 12W.
    It is a single LED light, with an integrated switch, several dimmlevels and a low battery LED indicator. We are using a custom reflector, developed and made by Lupine, for a maximum of light on any terrain. The light will be available as a headlight version, called Tesla X and as a bikelight version called Tesla 4. All the sets will come with a Li-Ion battery, automatic charger and a Lupine transport softcase.
    The retail price will be around 350€.




    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  2. #2
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,795
    looks pretty cool

  3. #3
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,183
    I guess my 800 lm 4 LED Wilma is already obsolete
    Maybe technology is going too fast

  4. #4
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I guess my 800 lm 4 LED Wilma is already obsolete
    Maybe technology is going too fast
    mmm...
    yep, here's some pictures of the new 925 Lumen Wilma





    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    Nice reflector, 350euro's is like £300 UK, $600 USD 1/2 the price of Lupines normal offerings.

    I guess it's a P7 with a realistic light actually going forward Lumen rating

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,370
    $600 USD would be a lot, but it sure looks like a nice light!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    The Wilma is £500 area I think over here so $1000, so it's alot cheaper than that.

    It's still alot for whats basically a P7 torch + good battery + good reflector though, I'd prefer to have 10 P7's strapped around my bike

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Cool! The switch on the back is excellent. Any weight figure?

    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    mmm...
    yep, here's some pictures of the new 925 Lumen Wilma





  9. #9
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    Cool, but I'll never be able to justify spending that much coin. This is sort of like going to a Ferrari dealership.

  10. #10
    Bigger is better!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    687
    Really looking forward to seeing beamshots of the Tesla vs Betty and Wilma. Not only amount of light but shape of the beam also.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1
    Here the "2008 Beam comparison - Preview" from the Lupine Forum.


    Nighmare 25W Halogen



    Tesla 12W LED



    Wilma 17W LED (NEW)



    Betty 23W LED



    Stefan at Lupine wrote:
    We will release the full beam comparison with our new website. The preview pictures show the full brightness only and keep in mind it is only a comparison and we do not claim these pictures show the real life impression ... allthough it's close to it

    Just a quick note on the marks.
    1. Toy dog: 7 m
    2. Tree mark: 14 m
    3. Tree mark: 26 m
    4. Tree mark: 48 m
    5. Bike: 65 m

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    23W looks kicks ass, good range and everything impressive, 1 hell of a battery draw though.

    12Watt looks comparable to my P7 with a Cree R2 running.

    The step up from 17W to 23W looks too much though, much bigger difference than the 12w - 17W for a lesser percentage. ( maybe more Spot LED's come into play though )

  13. #13
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    LOVIN' IT! Great job Stefan!!!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    380
    Funnily the Tesla's beam looks a lot like the Dinotte 600L:
    1. it is wide (wider than the Wilma)
    2. it is bluish
    The most notable difference is a lovely accentuated spot area in the middle, which the Dinotte unfortunately does not have.
    Looks especially promising as a single bar-only solution, and for a reasonable price (compared to the other Lupines...).
    Can't wait to see what the others have - L&M at least... is 700 = 700 in lumens? ;-)

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,837
    Note the tesla is bluer than the betty or wilma... I don't think the P7 is available in warmer tints.
    Interesting pics. Note the relatively small gains from doubling the watts. 700lm is a good level for most things, especially if you have one on bar and another on helmet, goodbye multi led lights.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,051
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    Funnily the Tesla's beam looks a lot like the Dinotte 600L:
    1. it is wide (wider than the Wilma)
    2. it is bluish
    The most notable difference is a lovely accentuated spot area in the middle, which the Dinotte unfortunately does not have.
    Looks especially promising as a single bar-only solution, and for a reasonable price (compared to the other Lupines...).
    Can't wait to see what the others have - L&M at least... is 700 = 700 in lumens? ;-)
    ...about #2...yes, the P-7 led is a little bluish but it is not too noticeable except on the lower power levels. Unlike you I don't see anything that looks like an accentuated spot. All of these lights look very much like 25 degree beam patterns too me. Of course with the Betty's and Wilma's I'm sure you get a choice of optics. No doubt the 23watt lights throw for more distance simply because of the additional lumen output and tighter optics these models offer. It would be interesting to know what optics were used on the Betty and Wilma when they did the test. Just remember that all that distance throw you see in the photos is on a light colored stone surfaced road. This long throw doesn't always translate over when you start riding on trails that are darker surfaced. The Lupine stuff looks real nice and would look nice on the bars but I'm not sure I like the helmet mounting solutions they choose. I would prefer a much more cleaner looking quick-release system for the helmet.

  17. #17
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    holy smokes. Betty is one bad mamma jamma.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaximusHQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    The step up from 17W to 23W looks too much though, much bigger difference than the 12w - 17W for a lesser percentage. ( maybe more Spot LED's come into play though )

    I have the 22 watt Betty and the 15 watt Wilma and I can tell you with those two lights that the Betty does have quite a bit more reach as well as a wider beam and the difference is very noticeable. Also as the pics show the path in front of the bikes is lit up significantly brighter with the Betty which is exactly the experience I have had with my Betty compared to the Wilma. So the pics showing the Betty looking considerably brighter don't surprise me.

    Thanks for posting the pics and also I would love to see the Tesla light head alongside the Wilma light head to get and idea of the sizes.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yetibetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    some more pics. Lupine say "it's one of the most beautiful lights they've ever made"
    Last edited by yetibetty; 03-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.

  20. #20
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    Funnily the Tesla's beam looks a lot like the Dinotte 600L:
    1. it is wide (wider than the Wilma)
    2. it is bluish
    The most notable difference is a lovely accentuated spot area in the middle, which the Dinotte unfortunately does not have.
    Looks especially promising as a single bar-only solution, and for a reasonable price (compared to the other Lupines...).
    Can't wait to see what the others have - L&M at least... is 700 = 700 in lumens? ;-)
    Radipork in the pics the Tesla doesn't look wider than the Wilma (check the trees on the sides)
    I wonder if they are using diferent optics cause my Wilma seems less wide than the picture... My 600L wide lens is a little bit wider than my Wilma though

  21. #21
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    mmm...
    yep, here's some pictures of the new 925 Lumen Wilma





    sorry if this seems to derail the topic...

    but...
    Where, When, and for how much can I get this 925lumen version of this light????
    I am really looking into getting the Wilma 6 right now, but don't want to invest into a light that will soon be outdated or overshadowed by a new model.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  22. #22
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,183
    Contact gretnabikes to see when available

  23. #23
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    holy smokes. Betty is one bad mamma jamma.
    If you think the pictures are impressive you should see the light and it's beam pattern in person.
    Just finished a 24Hr race this weekend.
    I couldn't believe how many people commented on my Wilma 6 and Betty 6 set up.
    The lights seem to scare people right off the trail, as I rode up behind them people would simply just stop or get off the trail and let me by.
    My favourite quote from another rider as I passed him "Those are the brightest f@#king lights I've ever seen, what the hell are they?"
    Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 08-27-2008 at 04:23 AM.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  24. #24
    she keep you buying rats
    Reputation: WeakMite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    300
    Even more new pics of the Tesla from the Lupine forum, (posted by Stefan on the 25th):








    ...and more of the new Wilma too










  25. #25
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    The lights seem to scare people right off the trail, as I rode up behind them people would simply just stop or get off the trail and let me by.
    Well, yeah. All they could probably see was their own shadow.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  26. #26
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Well, yeah. All they could probably see was their own shadow.
    mmm... never had this problem on group rides I've done using these lights.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  27. #27
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    mmm... never had this problem on group rides I've done using these lights.
    I noticed the problem when i borrowed halogens for my first ever 24h night lap. When somebody would roll up behind me with an HID, there would be lots of light, but my shadow would block what I actually wanted to see.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  28. #28
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I noticed the problem when i borrowed halogens for my first ever 24h night lap. When somebody would roll up behind me with an HID, there would be lots of light, but my shadow would block what I actually wanted to see.
    maybe... I have noticed that another Wilma and Betty set up riding behind me has absolutely no effect what so ever on my light pattern.

    As well I did noticed many riders with sub-par lighting out on the trail at HAN.
    It still amazing me what some people will put on their bikes to ride that race.
    Some of the lights (or in some cases a total lack of lights) wouldn't even be good enough for around the campsite! I think in total I came across a dozen people with faulty lighting system during my two night laps.

    If the pricing on this new Tesla comes in as Lupine has already stated (approx. $460 CDN) I know many on my team would seriously consider a purchase, especially after seeing the Lupine quality up close and personal this weekend.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  29. #29
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    I rode with 200 lumens for a group night ride or two (Dinotte). It was simply too dangerous, IMNSHO.

    I ride with a Betty 7 at 1,500 lumens now. Sometimes I'll add a smaller light on my helmet for corners, etc. The Betty provides an incredible improvement in my night riding confidence (and safety). The Betty can be programmed for different lighting lumens too - the best of all worlds. Great!

    I predict the Tesla to be a big seller. Hurry Lupine!!!

    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaximusHQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    660
    Thanks for posting more pics. The Tesla looks nice and the small size will make it a good helmet light. The bluer beam color on the Tesla is the only thing that disappoints me a bit, but still it's not bad. The one thing I loved about the Wilma and Betty beam is it isn't blue like some other LED lights and even farther from HID color. I do like remote switches a lot better though.

    Pubcrawl, that is great everyone took an interest in your Lupine lights. Maybe Lupine will get a few new customers after you demo the light for the other riders. I have yet to come across anyone around here with lights that can put out the kind of light that the Lupine does. Mainly there are a few guys will halogen and a few HIDs.

  31. #31
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    Pubcrawl, that is great everyone took an interest in your Lupine lights. Maybe Lupine will get a few new customers after you demo the light for the other riders. I have yet to come across anyone around here with lights that can put out the kind of light that the Lupine does. Mainly there are a few guys will halogen and a few HIDs.
    I lent... yes lent out my Lupines to 2 team mates and my wife lent hers to 1 other team mate. All were amazed at the light quality and performance the Lupines had. The loaning of these lights I think helped secure our 3rd place finish for the HAN race, as it put us up a full lap ahead of the 4th place team we were battling during the night laps.

    The only hold back for everyone with Lupines is the cost.
    The new Tesla is well within the price range of most people who are serious about night riding and 24hr racing.
    Last year this time a local shop here was selling Niterider HID's for a $900 CDN. and people were buying them...
    so I think a $460 Lupine would sell well... too bad no one in Canada actually sells them.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  32. #32
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    I lent... yes lent out my Lupines to 2 team mates and my wife lent hers to 1 other team mate. All were amazed at the light quality and performance the Lupines had. The loaning of these lights I think helped secure our 3rd place finish for the HAN race, as it put us up a full lap ahead of the 4th place team we were battling during the night laps.

    The only hold back for everyone with Lupines is the cost.
    The new Tesla is well within the price range of most people who are serious about night riding and 24hr racing.
    Last year this time a local shop here was selling Niterider HID's for a $900 CDN. and people were buying them...
    so I think a $460 Lupine would sell well... too bad no one in Canada actually sells them.

    We ship to Canada every day. So if we can be there for you, just let us know. That's why we're here. And, we ride!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1
    Hey Geoman,

    First up, thanks for your awesome service, i purchased my betty 7 from you last month, and they arrived in aussie land no problems. Thanks again.

    Now to business.. Have you any word when you will recieve the tesla light? As i have a mate who want to get it as it will (hopefully) be in his price range!

    I keep checking your website but its not there yet!

    Cheers

  34. #34
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by whstlr
    Hey Geoman,

    Now to business.. Have you any word when you will receive the Tesla light? As I have a mate who want to get it as it will (hopefully) be in his price range!

    I keep checking your website but its not there yet!

    Cheers
    No word on an exact date but it should likely be this month...

    Keep watching!

    Thanks for your kind words and support. We appreciate it.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  35. #35
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    "Those are the brightest f@#king lights I've ever seen, what the hell are they?"
    Zactly! I get the same thing with my Betty. These new LUPINES are bright and programmable too so you can set your lights at various output settings... Nice!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  36. #36
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    According to Gretna, the Tesla 4 should start shipping later this month.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    Check these out :-

    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Airbike.html

    Same P7 LED, and much cheaper, major bargain!!

  38. #38
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    344
    You're comparing apples to oranges... And I think there was another thread on here about that light, and it hardly seemed like all that great. Not to mention your looking at euro pricing. Convert that to dollars and it's not that much cheaper then what the Tesla is.

    Not trying to bash your new light or anything. But you really can't compare these lights...

  39. #39
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    You're comparing apples to oranges... And I think there was another thread on here about that light, and it hardly seemed like all that great. Not to mention your looking at euro pricing. Convert that to dollars and it's not that much cheaper then what the Tesla is.

    Not trying to bash your new light or anything. But you really can't compare these lights...
    Todd's right.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  40. #40
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    Too bad no one in Canada actually sells them.
    I know someone that ships to Canada...

    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    So converting at current rate is $200, I heard the Tesla was 350Euro's or £300 UK area, so it's under 1/2 the price.

    Having not tested either I don't know which 1 is best but both P7 and likely very similar output wise.

    Bet 2 of the cheap 1's still less than the Tesla would leave the Tesla for dead.

    Personally I like my P7 torch and unlimited run time with cheap replaceable 18650's 6 - 7 hour night rides are faily common for me!!

  42. #42
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Just ordered a Wilma 7 to be my mail order bride! Ordered a harness for her too, just to try to keep her under control if I take her backpacking with me, hahaha...
    Thanks much, Jay, can't wait to get my hands on this bad devil.



    Oh, gotta ask... are most people with these Lupine set-ups running them on helmet, or bar mount??? I'm really hoping that helmet mount is balanced and taught (and if possible, maybe even come up with a way to mount it on my MX helmet for some night trail sessions on the ol' crf250r! watch out!)
    Schralp it Heavy.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaximusHQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Just ordered a Wilma 7 to be my mail order bride! Ordered a harness for her too, just to try to keep her under control if I take her backpacking with me, hahaha...
    Thanks much, Jay, can't wait to get my hands on this bad devil.



    Oh, gotta ask... are most people with these Lupine set-ups running them on helmet, or bar mount??? I'm really hoping that helmet mount is balanced and taught (and if possible, maybe even come up with a way to mount it on my MX helmet for some night trail sessions on the ol' crf250r! watch out!)

    When using one light I would go for the helmet mount for the most part, but it's even better to use both a bar and helmet light so go buy another Wilma. The Wilma helmet mount works great for me it doesn't move unless I want it to.

  44. #44
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Lupine is the only lights I'm willing to put my $$ down for.
    New Tesla and Wilma are SWEET!!

  45. #45
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    Lupine is the only lights I'm willing to put my $$ down for.
    New Tesla and Wilma are SWEET!!

    Def good stuff!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  46. #46
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    When using one light I would go for the helmet mount for the most part, but it's even better to use both a bar and helmet light so go buy another Wilma. The Wilma helmet mount works great for me it doesn't move unless I want it to.
    Thanks for the tip. I was going for helmet mount anyway, since with my riding style I like to incorporate a lot of manuals and wheelies, and I would like to continue that riding style at night, w/out lighting up the tree canopy and leaving me blind to the terrain! Was just a little skeptical at how well it will balance on the helmet.
    I don't think I'll be dropping coin for another Wilma 7 any time soon though, haha! I think at that point I'd have too many buddies trying to mooch the "extra light". If I find I really want another light for bar, I'll probably wait until next season, or just get a Stella or Dinotte 400 or something similar...



    Acadian, great to hear. Just from lurking around this site and what I remember reading of your posts, you seem to have great access to the goods of the cycling industry, so I'll take your word for it. Reassuring hearing things like that, it's a big investment to make, but like I said, if I can use it on my crf250r at night too, even better $ well spent.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaximusHQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    I don't think I'll be dropping coin for another Wilma 7 any time soon though, haha! I think at that point I'd have too many buddies trying to mooch the "extra light". If I find I really want another light for bar, I'll probably wait until next season, or just get a Stella or Dinotte 400 or something similar...
    :

    After a season of using a Lupine light you won't want any other brand of light. Once you go Lupine, you never go back!

  48. #48
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    mmm... never had this problem on group rides I've done using these lights.

    It's borderline obnoxious if you have one person with one of these behind you, and offensive if the person owning one of these has a helmet mount, hears you coming, and turns their head your way.

    Personally, I hate helmet mounts on night rides, their owners don't seem to "get it" that where ever they turn their head, they blind and wipe out the night vision of the unexpected recipient of their beam. It reminds me of police raids at night or getting pulled over and the officer deliberately blinds you and fries your eyesight so that you are seeing stars and nothing else, so that they can maintain control of the situation. It leaves me and my senses feeling violated. Handlebar mounted lights don't seem to have that problem.

    I'm thinking this is too much of a good thing, something with 400 to 600 lumens seems perfect for a mtn bike, anything more just seems like too much of a good thing, or in this case, overkill.

  49. #49
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    It's borderline obnoxious if you have one person with one of these behind you, and offensive if the person owning one of these has a helmet mount, hears you coming, and turns their head your way.

    Personally, I hate helmet mounts on night rides, their owners don't seem to "get it" that where ever they turn their head, they blind and wipe out the night vision of the unexpected recipient of their beam. It reminds me of police raids at night or getting pulled over and the officer deliberately blinds you and fries your eyesight so that you are seeing stars and nothing else, so that they can maintain control of the situation. It leaves me and my senses feeling violated. Handlebar mounted lights don't seem to have that problem.

    I'm thinking this is too much of a good thing, something with 400 to 600 lumens seems perfect for a mtn bike, anything more just seems like too much of a good thing, or in this case, overkill.

    Sounds to me like your problem really isn't with the light, nor with where it is mounted. More like a problem with the people you ride with.

    And the great part about these Lupine led lights is they are completely programmable, so you can set the "lumens" lower and also in return get a longer battery life, but still have the complete power with the click of a button for hairy descents or technical situations. You can't necessarily deem something as "overkill", everyone has a different riding style, rides different terrain, and heck, maybe even doesnt' eat as much carrot as you for their night vision, haha!
    Schralp it Heavy.

  50. #50
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Sounds to me like your problem really isn't with the light, nor with where it is mounted. More like a problem with the people you ride with.

    And the great part about these Lupine led lights is they are completely programmable, so you can set the "lumens" lower and also in return get a longer battery life, but still have the complete power with the click of a button for hairy descents or technical situations. You can't necessarily deem something as "overkill", everyone has a different riding style, rides different terrain, and heck, maybe even doesnt' eat as much carrot as you for their night vision, haha!

    I will often ride with my Betty 7 at 50% power (~750 lumens) but am thankful for the additional brightness on full power when I need it.

    I love the thing, FWIW. I've used many different lights over the years. LUPINE is the best I've used - ever. That's why we sell 'em.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •