Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*

New Lupine Tesla ---700 Lumens---

Found this over on the Lupine Forum.

Our brand new Tesla light will provide about 700 Lumens at 12W.
    It is a single LED light, with an integrated switch, several dimmlevels and a low battery LED indicator. We are using a custom reflector, developed and made by Lupine, for a maximum of light on any terrain. The light will be available as a headlight version, called Tesla X and as a bikelight version called Tesla 4. All the sets will come with a Li-Ion battery, automatic charger and a Lupine transport softcase.
    The retail price will be around 350.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    looks pretty cool

BBW
    mtbr member
    I guess my 800 lm 4 LED Wilma is already obsolete
    Maybe technology is going too fast

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I guess my 800 lm 4 LED Wilma is already obsolete
    Maybe technology is going too fast
    mmm...
    yep, here's some pictures of the new 925 Lumen Wilma

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice reflector, 350euro's is like 300 UK, $600 USD 1/2 the price of Lupines normal offerings.

I guess it's a P7 with a realistic light actually going forward Lumen rating

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    $600 USD would be a lot, but it sure looks like a nice light!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Wilma is 500 area I think over here so $1000, so it's alot cheaper than that.

It's still alot for whats basically a P7 torch + good battery + good reflector though, I'd prefer to have 10 P7's strapped around my bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cool! The switch on the back is excellent. Any weight figure?

Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    mmm...

Its got what plants crave
    Cool, but I'll never be able to justify spending that much coin. This is sort of like going to a Ferrari dealership.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Really looking forward to seeing beamshots of the Tesla vs Betty and Wilma. Not only amount of light but shape of the beam also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here the "2008 Beam comparison - Preview" from the Lupine Forum.

Nighmare 25W Halogen

Tesla 12W LED

Wilma 17W LED (NEW)

Betty 23W LED

Stefan at Lupine wrote:
    We will release the full beam comparison with our new website. The preview pictures show the full brightness only and keep in mind it is only a comparison and we do not claim these pictures show the real life impression ... allthough it's close to it

Just a quick note on the marks.
    1. Toy dog: 7 m
    2. Tree mark: 14 m
    3. Tree mark: 26 m
    4. Tree mark: 48 m
    5. Bike: 65 m

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    23W looks kicks ass, good range and everything impressive, 1 hell of a battery draw though.

12Watt looks comparable to my P7 with a Cree R2 running.

The step up from 17W to 23W looks too much though, much bigger difference than the 12w - 17W for a lesser percentage. ( maybe more Spot LED's come into play though )

GeoMan
    LOVIN' IT! Great job Stefan!!!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Funnily the Tesla's beam looks a lot like the Dinotte 600L:
    1. it is wide (wider than the Wilma)
    2. it is bluish
    The most notable difference is a lovely accentuated spot area in the middle, which the Dinotte unfortunately does not have.
    Looks especially promising as a single bar-only solution, and for a reasonable price (compared to the other Lupines...).
    Can't wait to see what the others have - L&M at least... is 700 = 700 in lumens? ;-)

mtbr member
    Note the tesla is bluer than the betty or wilma... I don't think the P7 is available in warmer tints.
    Interesting pics. Note the relatively small gains from doubling the watts. 700lm is a good level for most things, especially if you have one on bar and another on helmet, goodbye multi led lights.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    2. it is bluish
    The most notable difference is a lovely accentuated spot area in the middle, which the Dinotte unfortunately does not have.
    Looks especially promising as a single bar-only solution, and for a reasonable price (compared to the other Lupines...).
    Can't wait to see what the others have - L&M at least... is 700 = 700 in lumens? ;-)
    ...about #2...yes, the P-7 led is a little bluish but it is not too noticeable except on the lower power levels. Unlike you I don't see anything that looks like an accentuated spot. All of these lights look very much like 25 degree beam patterns too me. Of course with the Betty's and Wilma's I'm sure you get a choice of optics. No doubt the 23watt lights throw for more distance simply because of the additional lumen output and tighter optics these models offer. It would be interesting to know what optics were used on the Betty and Wilma when they did the test. Just remember that all that distance throw you see in the photos is on a light colored stone surfaced road. This long throw doesn't always translate over when you start riding on trails that are darker surfaced. The Lupine stuff looks real nice and would look nice on the bars but I'm not sure I like the helmet mounting solutions they choose. I would prefer a much more cleaner looking quick-release system for the helmet.

mtbr remember
    holy smokes. Betty is one bad mamma jamma.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    The step up from 17W to 23W looks too much though, much bigger difference than the 12w - 17W for a lesser percentage. ( maybe more Spot LED's come into play though )

I have the 22 watt Betty and the 15 watt Wilma and I can tell you with those two lights that the Betty does have quite a bit more reach as well as a wider beam and the difference is very noticeable. Also as the pics show the path in front of the bikes is lit up significantly brighter with the Betty which is exactly the experience I have had with my Betty compared to the Wilma. So the pics showing the Betty looking considerably brighter don't surprise me.

Thanks for posting the pics and also I would love to see the Tesla light head alongside the Wilma light head to get and idea of the sizes.

mtbr member
    some more pics. Lupine say "it's one of the most beautiful lights they've ever made"
    Last edited by yetibetty; 03-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    2. it is bluish
    Radipork in the pics the Tesla doesn't look wider than the Wilma (check the trees on the sides)
    I wonder if they are using diferent optics cause my Wilma seems less wide than the picture... My 600L wide lens is a little bit wider than my Wilma though

mtbr remember
    mmm...

sorry if this seems to derail the topic...

but...
    Where, When, and for how much can I get this 925lumen version of this light????
    I am really looking into getting the Wilma 6 right now, but don't want to invest into a light that will soon be outdated or overshadowed by a new model.
    Schralp it Heavy.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Contact gretnabikes to see when available

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    holy smokes. Betty is one bad mamma jamma.
    If you think the pictures are impressive you should see the light and it's beam pattern in person.
    Just finished a 24Hr race this weekend.
    I couldn't believe how many people commented on my Wilma 6 and Betty 6 set up.
    The lights seem to scare people right off the trail, as I rode up behind them people would simply just stop or get off the trail and let me by.
    My favourite quote from another rider as I passed him "Those are the brightest f@#king lights I've ever seen, what the hell are they?"
    Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 08-27-2008 at 04:23 AM.

Hunter S. Thompson

she keep you buying rats
    Even more new pics of the Tesla from the Lupine forum, (posted by Stefan on the 25th):

...and more of the new Wilma too

bi-winning
    The lights seem to scare people right off the trail, as I rode up behind them people would simply just stop or get off the trail and let me by.
    Well, yeah. All they could probably see was their own shadow.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast