Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Lupine Tesla ---700 Lumens---

45K views 197 replies 46 participants last post by  batvette 
#1 ·
Found this over on the Lupine Forum.

Our brand new Tesla light will provide about 700 Lumens at 12W.
It is a single LED light, with an integrated switch, several dimmlevels and a low battery LED indicator. We are using a custom reflector, developed and made by Lupine, for a maximum of light on any terrain. The light will be available as a headlight version, called Tesla X and as a bikelight version called Tesla 4. All the sets will come with a Li-Ion battery, automatic charger and a Lupine transport softcase.
The retail price will be around 350€.

See less See more
#27 ·
PUBCRAWL said:
mmm... never had this problem on group rides I've done using these lights. :cool:
I noticed the problem when i borrowed halogens for my first ever 24h night lap. When somebody would roll up behind me with an HID, there would be lots of light, but my shadow would block what I actually wanted to see.

#28 ·
rkj__ said:
I noticed the problem when i borrowed halogens for my first ever 24h night lap. When somebody would roll up behind me with an HID, there would be lots of light, but my shadow would block what I actually wanted to see.
maybe... I have noticed that another Wilma and Betty set up riding behind me has absolutely no effect what so ever on my light pattern.

As well I did noticed many riders with sub-par lighting out on the trail at HAN.
It still amazing me what some people will put on their bikes to ride that race.
Some of the lights (or in some cases a total lack of lights) wouldn't even be good enough for around the campsite! I think in total I came across a dozen people with faulty lighting system during my two night laps.

If the pricing on this new Tesla comes in as Lupine has already stated (approx. $460 CDN) I know many on my team would seriously consider a purchase, especially after seeing the Lupine quality up close and personal this weekend.

#29 ·
I rode with 200 lumens for a group night ride or two (Dinotte). It was simply too dangerous, IMNSHO.

I ride with a Betty 7 at 1,500 lumens now. Sometimes I'll add a smaller light on my helmet for corners, etc. The Betty provides an incredible improvement in my night riding confidence (and safety). The Betty can be programmed for different lighting lumens too - the best of all worlds. Great!

I predict the Tesla to be a big seller. Hurry Lupine!!!

:)

#30 ·
Thanks for posting more pics. The Tesla looks nice and the small size will make it a good helmet light. The bluer beam color on the Tesla is the only thing that disappoints me a bit, but still it's not bad. The one thing I loved about the Wilma and Betty beam is it isn't blue like some other LED lights and even farther from HID color. I do like remote switches a lot better though. :(

Pubcrawl, that is great everyone took an interest in your Lupine lights. Maybe Lupine will get a few new customers after you demo the light for the other riders. :) I have yet to come across anyone around here with lights that can put out the kind of light that the Lupine does. Mainly there are a few guys will halogen and a few HIDs.

#31 ·
MaximusHQ said:
Pubcrawl, that is great everyone took an interest in your Lupine lights. Maybe Lupine will get a few new customers after you demo the light for the other riders. :) I have yet to come across anyone around here with lights that can put out the kind of light that the Lupine does. Mainly there are a few guys will halogen and a few HIDs.
I lent... :eek: yes lent out my Lupines to 2 team mates and my wife lent hers to 1 other team mate. All were amazed at the light quality and performance the Lupines had. The loaning of these lights I think helped secure our 3rd place finish for the HAN race, as it put us up a full lap ahead of the 4th place team we were battling during the night laps.

The only hold back for everyone with Lupines is the cost.
The new Tesla is well within the price range of most people who are serious about night riding and 24hr racing.
Last year this time a local shop here was selling Niterider HID's for a $900 CDN. and people were buying them...:confused:
so I think a $460 Lupine would sell well... too bad no one in Canada actually sells them.

#32 ·
PUBCRAWL said:
I lent... :eek: yes lent out my Lupines to 2 team mates and my wife lent hers to 1 other team mate. All were amazed at the light quality and performance the Lupines had. The loaning of these lights I think helped secure our 3rd place finish for the HAN race, as it put us up a full lap ahead of the 4th place team we were battling during the night laps.

The only hold back for everyone with Lupines is the cost.
The new Tesla is well within the price range of most people who are serious about night riding and 24hr racing.
Last year this time a local shop here was selling Niterider HID's for a $900 CDN. and people were buying them...:confused:
so I think a $460 Lupine would sell well... too bad no one in Canada actually sells them.
We ship to Canada every day. So if we can be there for you, just let us know. That's why we're here. And, we ride!

#33 ·
Hey Geoman,

First up, thanks for your awesome service, i purchased my betty 7 from you last month, and they arrived in aussie land no problems. Thanks again.

Now to business.. Have you any word when you will recieve the tesla light? As i have a mate who want to get it as it will (hopefully) be in his price range!

I keep checking your website but its not there yet!:cryin:

Cheers

#34 ·
whstlr said:
Hey Geoman,

Now to business.. Have you any word when you will receive the Tesla light? As I have a mate who want to get it as it will (hopefully) be in his price range!

I keep checking your website but its not there yet!:cryin:

Cheers
No word on an exact date but it should likely be this month...

Keep watching!

Thanks for your kind words and support. We appreciate it.

#38 ·
You're comparing apples to oranges... And I think there was another thread on here about that light, and it hardly seemed like all that great. Not to mention your looking at euro pricing. Convert that to dollars and it's not that much cheaper then what the Tesla is.

Not trying to bash your new light or anything. But you really can't compare these lights...

#39 ·
Todd@gretnabikes said:
You're comparing apples to oranges... And I think there was another thread on here about that light, and it hardly seemed like all that great. Not to mention your looking at euro pricing. Convert that to dollars and it's not that much cheaper then what the Tesla is.

Not trying to bash your new light or anything. But you really can't compare these lights...
Todd's right.

#41 ·
So converting at current rate is $200, I heard the Tesla was 350Euro's or £300 UK area, so it's under 1/2 the price.

Having not tested either I don't know which 1 is best but both P7 and likely very similar output wise.

Bet 2 of the cheap 1's still less than the Tesla would leave the Tesla for dead.

Personally I like my P7 torch and unlimited run time with cheap replaceable 18650's 6 - 7 hour night rides are faily common for me!!

#42 ·
Just ordered a Wilma 7 to be my mail order bride! Ordered a harness for her too, just to try to keep her under control if I take her backpacking with me, hahaha...
Thanks much, Jay, can't wait to get my hands on this bad devil.

Oh, gotta ask... are most people with these Lupine set-ups running them on helmet, or bar mount??? I'm really hoping that helmet mount is balanced and taught (and if possible, maybe even come up with a way to mount it on my MX helmet for some night trail sessions on the ol' crf250r! watch out!)

#43 ·
BikeSATORI said:
Just ordered a Wilma 7 to be my mail order bride! Ordered a harness for her too, just to try to keep her under control if I take her backpacking with me, hahaha...
Thanks much, Jay, can't wait to get my hands on this bad devil.

Oh, gotta ask... are most people with these Lupine set-ups running them on helmet, or bar mount??? I'm really hoping that helmet mount is balanced and taught (and if possible, maybe even come up with a way to mount it on my MX helmet for some night trail sessions on the ol' crf250r! watch out!)
When using one light I would go for the helmet mount for the most part, but it's even better to use both a bar and helmet light so go buy another Wilma.:) The Wilma helmet mount works great for me it doesn't move unless I want it to. :thumbsup:

#46 ·
MaximusHQ said:
When using one light I would go for the helmet mount for the most part, but it's even better to use both a bar and helmet light so go buy another Wilma.:) The Wilma helmet mount works great for me it doesn't move unless I want it to. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the tip. I was going for helmet mount anyway, since with my riding style I like to incorporate a lot of manuals and wheelies, and I would like to continue that riding style at night, w/out lighting up the tree canopy and leaving me blind to the terrain! Was just a little skeptical at how well it will balance on the helmet.
I don't think I'll be dropping coin for another Wilma 7 any time soon though, haha! :eek: I think at that point I'd have too many buddies trying to mooch the "extra light". :p If I find I really want another light for bar, I'll probably wait until next season, or just get a Stella or Dinotte 400 or something similar...

Acadian, great to hear. Just from lurking around this site and what I remember reading of your posts, you seem to have great access to the goods of the cycling industry, so I'll take your word for it. Reassuring hearing things like that, it's a big investment to make, but like I said, if I can use it on my crf250r at night too, even better $ well spent.:thumbsup:

#47 ·
BikeSATORI said:
I don't think I'll be dropping coin for another Wilma 7 any time soon though, haha! :eek: I think at that point I'd have too many buddies trying to mooch the "extra light". :p If I find I really want another light for bar, I'll probably wait until next season, or just get a Stella or Dinotte 400 or something similar...
:
After a season of using a Lupine light you won't want any other brand of light. Once you go Lupine, you never go back!

#48 ·
PUBCRAWL said:
mmm... never had this problem on group rides I've done using these lights. :cool:
It's borderline obnoxious if you have one person with one of these behind you, and offensive if the person owning one of these has a helmet mount, hears you coming, and turns their head your way.

Personally, I hate helmet mounts on night rides, their owners don't seem to "get it" that where ever they turn their head, they blind and wipe out the night vision of the unexpected recipient of their beam. It reminds me of police raids at night or getting pulled over and the officer deliberately blinds you and fries your eyesight so that you are seeing stars and nothing else, so that they can maintain control of the situation. It leaves me and my senses feeling violated. Handlebar mounted lights don't seem to have that problem.

I'm thinking this is too much of a good thing, something with 400 to 600 lumens seems perfect for a mtn bike, anything more just seems like too much of a good thing, or in this case, overkill.

#49 ·
RandyBoy said:
It's borderline obnoxious if you have one person with one of these behind you, and offensive if the person owning one of these has a helmet mount, hears you coming, and turns their head your way.

Personally, I hate helmet mounts on night rides, their owners don't seem to "get it" that where ever they turn their head, they blind and wipe out the night vision of the unexpected recipient of their beam. It reminds me of police raids at night or getting pulled over and the officer deliberately blinds you and fries your eyesight so that you are seeing stars and nothing else, so that they can maintain control of the situation. It leaves me and my senses feeling violated. Handlebar mounted lights don't seem to have that problem.

I'm thinking this is too much of a good thing, something with 400 to 600 lumens seems perfect for a mtn bike, anything more just seems like too much of a good thing, or in this case, overkill.
Sounds to me like your problem really isn't with the light, nor with where it is mounted. More like a problem with the people you ride with. ;)

And the great part about these Lupine led lights is they are completely programmable, so you can set the "lumens" lower and also in return get a longer battery life, but still have the complete power with the click of a button for hairy descents or technical situations. You can't necessarily deem something as "overkill", everyone has a different riding style, rides different terrain, and heck, maybe even doesnt' eat as much carrot as you for their night vision, haha! :D

#50 ·
BikeSATORI said:
Sounds to me like your problem really isn't with the light, nor with where it is mounted. More like a problem with the people you ride with. ;)

And the great part about these Lupine led lights is they are completely programmable, so you can set the "lumens" lower and also in return get a longer battery life, but still have the complete power with the click of a button for hairy descents or technical situations. You can't necessarily deem something as "overkill", everyone has a different riding style, rides different terrain, and heck, maybe even doesnt' eat as much carrot as you for their night vision, haha! :D
I will often ride with my Betty 7 at 50% power (~750 lumens) but am thankful for the additional brightness on full power when I need it.

I love the thing, FWIW. I've used many different lights over the years. LUPINE is the best I've used - ever. That's why we sell 'em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.