Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New lights (budget around 100$)

Hi guys!

Recently I've bought a new bike, and I'm looking forward buying a new set of lights.

The budget available for this "project" is around 100$, and for this money I want as much light output as possible.

I'm looking for reliability, but I'm not looking for stupid expensive lights like Lupine or Magicshine, that offers 1200 lumens for 100$.

Every oppinion is well important for me.
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Ebay 3xml light 20$
    eBay 1xml light 10$
    Hunk Lee 4cell panasonic 34$
    Hunk Lee 2cell panasonic 27$
    magic shine or gemini charger 8$

mtbr member
    Links?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyan27 View Post
    Links?
    I recently upgraded to real lights, now my lights are worth more than my bike...

FROM A PREVIOUS POST:

I tried the China/eBay game, too far, too slow, return shipping eats up your refunds, here are some Amazon chinacheepies that all came with 2 day shipping

On my helmet, X2 CREE XML U2 LED

On my bars, SecurityIng® 3 x CREE XM-L T6 LED

lots to choose from, SecurityIng : Cycling

You could get lucky with the battery roulette, if not, Hunk Lee Batteries, hunk_lee | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How about just reading through this forum, or using the search feature?

mtbr member
    WTF 200$ for 950 lumens? I'm not that stupid... For 200$ I can make a home-made bike light that hits over 6000 lumens easely, but the problem is that I don't have any spare time for moding, testing, etc...

What do you guys say about this one?

1. $49.63 UniqueFire HD-015 4*Cree XM-L2 T6 3-Mode 2000LM Cool White LED Bike Light - black / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

2. https://www.dx.com/p/nitefire-nfc-27...1#.VDQk6Wd_tGs

I like the point number 2, because of the Angel-Eyes DRL lights. They are cool to drive around in dusk.

mtbr member
    Those light will work just get yourself good batteries.

mtbr member
    I hardly consider Magicshine products "stupid" expensive.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Reliable, Cheap, Super bright.

Sorry, you only can pick any two of these features.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    LOL,, first time I've ever heard someone put Magicshine in the same league as Lupine regarding price. Maybe I missed the joke.

Lots of people here that are happy with their clones,, bit of a crap-shoot though,, good luck!!
    Last edited by indebt; 10-07-2014 at 10:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Ok, then which one would you recommand?

Should I get a Panovo battery case with individual 18650 batteries?

INRI
    Sep 2014
    I am quite pleased with the Cateye Volt 300.Very good reviews.So good of a light I retired my old Turbocat S10 for good.This light offers excellent value.You may choose the volt 700 however that is over budget for you? If you were to choose have the volt 300, one on the bar and one on the helmet I am certain you would be pleased.This is a reliable product designed in Japan.Good luck ordering anything from China.The link I am providing is an online bikestore here in the USA, they are reliable.You can also find reasonable prices on Amazon. Cateye Volt 300 Rechargeable Headlight HL-EL460RC with Helmet Mount | BicycleBuys.com

INRI
    Sep 2014
    What does 100$ mean hope that means Dollars.You would be hard pressed to find better value than Cateye products,sure you can cobble something together....good luck with that.

mtbr member
    No, that thing must be a joke... 300 lumens? C'mon...

Something reliable from FastTech/DX?

mtbr member
    Save up another $100 and get yourself a gemini duo/Xera set.

mtbr member
    ^^^this.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

i have an older niterider halogen. Reliable, but expensive and old technology.

I have one of the "good" Solarstorm X2's which are good. Very spotty, extremely bright. I got a good battery with about 3500mah capacity. Been running strong for two seasons. My friends have gotten the cheaper/lower quality versions. Other than battery capacity, theirs is good as well. All purchased from Fasttech.

I purchased a Yinding (Gemini Clone) from Fasttech this summer. It is one of the lower quality ones. Battery holds <2,000mah. So not happy with that battery at all. Light is very floody and has no bright centre spot. Output is dimmer than my SSX2 as well overall. Not 100% happy with this one both because of battery capacity, lower overall light output vs. my SSX2, and that it was $10 more than the SSX2. I would've been at least "satisfied" with this light if the battery was in the 3500mah range. But I'd say I am overall disappointed with this one.

I have a 3 year old Gemini Titan. This is my best quality light right now. Rock solidly built. Very good components. High quality Samsung batteries. Best charger of the bunch. Best helmet mount, etc. Just a single emitter so not as bright overall as my other two, but this single SSCP7 emitter is not that far off from the Yinding with dual XM-L emitters to my eyes.

So with the game of cheap chinese light roulette, I would say that I am 2 for 2 in getting what I paid for (not happy with the Yinding, but don't feel like I was ripped off either). I am 1 for 2 in being satisfied with what I got. But including my friends experiences, I am 6 for 7 satisfied. All of my friends' lights and mine combined (about 7,000 lumens real output / 14,000mah capacity total for about $275 USD shipped) could've just bought one Gloworm X2 1500 (1500 lumens / 5,800 capacity). And we have 7 lights between 6 of us. So even if one breaks down, we're all still able to ride.

I currently have parts on order to mod my SSX2 and Yinding to upgrade them to newer XM-L2 emitters to hopefully get a little more light or more run-time out of them.

mtbr member
    I don't know why, but I really like this headlight...

$49.63 UniqueFire HD-015 4*Cree XM-L2 T6 3-Mode 2000LM Cool White LED Bike Light - black / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Does anyone have something to share about this one? Pros/Cons?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Re: New lights (budget around 100$)

I bought 2 xeccon 1206. Went out for the first time last night. I have to say they worked great. No issues. Used them on high for 2 hours and the batteries still show green.... 75% plus charge. They are said to be good for 4.4 hours on high.... Sounds about right to me. They are of good quality. Time will tell how good / long they will last. I really like them and for the price, I think the extra over trying the cheap knock offs is worth it. $145 for both from ebay....ships from US too... Give them look.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261534105191?nav=SEARCH

Price just went up to $75 each... So $150

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

$49.63 UniqueFire HD-015 4*Cree XM-L2 T6 3-Mode 2000LM Cool White LED Bike Light - black / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

My buddy just got one. It is quite large compared to the 3x clones but not really much brighter. The clamp is much better than the rubber bands though. Bottom line is it does the job and has a nice beam pattern that fills the trail.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Be prepared to upgrade to a better quality battery, or at the very least, carry a second cheap battery.
    I can't imagine a 4x led light is going to get very good run times on a cheap stock battery.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    CygoLite Pace 500 USB LED Headlight and HotShot SL 2 Watt USB Tail Light - Performance Exclusive
    I run a cygolite 420 (similar to the link) that came in the same combo (with taillight) and love them. I run on medium off-road, flicker blink where cars run and psycho flash during the day. The light will last (on medium and flicker) for at least 3 hours (I've never run it down and my ride to/from work is only 2 hours long). The tail light is bright and lasts for a week of rides on a charge (more than 9 hours). On medium I have enough light for gravel roads at 18 mph and have only used high a few times. The low beam is a great setting for fixing flats, but not otherwise useful for me. Both units will recharge from a USB port. Charge times vary, but it's always ready the next day and usually 3-4 hours after I plug it in.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Just bought these lights from Performance bikes and they work great.

CygoLite Pace 800 USB LED Headlight and HotShot SL 2 Watt USB Tail Light - Performance Exclusive
    2013 Anthem Advanced 29er
    1999 Turner 02
    Raced for Mongoose Bikes from Alum,Carbon to TI.
    1987 Redline Mountain bike

INRI
    Sep 2014

Sure, ok.
    Last edited by chubmackerel; 10-09-2014 at 01:18 AM.

INRI
    Sep 2014
    A rather subjective review of the Cateye 700, my next light No, on second thought....I will buy the eloquently named UniqueFire light source torch in shiny red poofy color. The Subjective Cyclist: Cateye Volt 700 Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast