Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

A new light xml U2 light (review)

While spending way too much time googling compact helmet lights I found
    this one
    HI-MAX 1300Lm CREE XML T6/U2 LED Headlamp Rechargeable Headlight set | eBay

Any how I received the kit a couple day ago.
    The reason I chose this one was the U2 emitter,smaller size ,and the overall design of battery case and the light housing and had the OP reflector.

Well it is cool. The head unit is small sexy and very well made.

specs

The lens is 31mm
    light head 4.7cm
    4.3cm wide
    110gms

I took the bezel off and found the Op to be nicely Machined reflector 8.4gms (should absorb some heat) The bezel clamps the reflector to the emitter spacer tightly, I added a small amount of arctic silver heat past between the base of the OP and the spacer just for kicks.

The cord exits the head unit with seal grommet.

Beam shot at 6 ft with my 808 xmlT6 clone with SMO of off same battery pack using y adapter.
    The big Brighter spot is the Hi-Max As you can seen it blow my xml clone ( i have two ) away.

Has o rings on body of housing as well as bezel between the glass .

Uses trail tech style connector that have the locking o ring.

More to come...including pics

mtbr member
    A new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355102120.415841.jpgA new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355102136.065410.jpgA new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355102150.004792.jpgA new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355102170.763015.jpgA new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355102185.720481.jpgA new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355102199.549062.jpgA new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355102230.131899.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice! Like the machined look and battery case seems well done. Looks like it is a bit shorter than the MS808 but about the same diameter? Also, how many days did it take to get it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrider1 View Post
    Nice! Like the machined look and battery case seems well done. Looks like it is a bit shorter than the MS808 but about the same diameter? Also, how many days did it take to get it?
    An 808 is 4.7 c'mon diameter vs the
    The hi max is 4cm flat side to flat side or at its widest it 4.3
    It's about 1. 3 cm shorter than the 808.
    About 2 weeks to arrive.
    It looks wicked in person. The light output is considerably more than my 808's.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It looks interesting. Keep us posted after you test it on a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    An 808 is 4.7 c'mon diameter vs the
    The hi max is 4cm flat side to flat side or at its widest it 4.3
    It's about 1. 3 cm shorter than the 808.
    About 2 weeks to arrive.
    It looks wicked in person. The light output is considerably more than my 808's.
    Awesome!
    Interesting. I would be interested to know how much current the Hi Max pulls on high. With the wider beam pattern it should be more of a flood output. I am curious to know how the two different lamps compare in actual throw. The only way to demonstrate that would be with a couple outdoor beam shots. To bad it is only a two mode. Nice looking lamp head though. The hexagon shape was popular a year or so ago. I'm glad to see it is still knocking around.

Ex-Clydesdale
    This is the same light sold by advmonster, I've been using it as a commuter light since August. Nothing to write home about, it's been reliable, but the button on the back always glows green, it doesn't chance color as the battery charge goes down (I think it's supposed to). Typical symmetrical beam, good spread though without too much of a hotspot. There's been a thread before about it:
    ADVmonster.com Waterproof Bike Light
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Funny thing, i just came across this clone light a few minutes ago
    I'm looking for something cheaper or as cheap as my 808 clone...but stronger. This one looks good. It is a clone too, but it looks strong and with a great beam pattern for my commuting. Too bad the lens is 8mm smaller than MS's wide angle lens... It is floody, but i love the wide angle lens.

Reelchef67, will you provide outdoor beamshots of the 808 clone vs this one? Too bad the 808 has the smooth reflector, otherwise it would be the perfect comparison as mine has an OP instead.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    I'm looking for something cheaper or as cheap as my 808 clone...but stronger. This one looks good. It is a clone too, but it looks strong and with a great beam pattern for my commuting. Too bad the lens is 8mm smaller than MS's wide angle lens... It is floody, but i love the wide angle lens.

Reelchef67, will you provide outdoor beamshots of the 808 clone vs this one? Too bad the 808 has the smooth reflector, otherwise it would be the perfect comparison as mine has an OP instead.
    I love those wide angle lenses too, good new for you is that sinse this light has a smaller diameter you can just grind down the 39mm lens to fit. If your using this light for commuting/road another thing you might want to consider is glueing the lens to the front of the bezel instead of replacing the stock len with it. The benefit to this is that it makes a glowing ring the thickness of the lens around the front of the light and increases your side visiblity. I accidently ran across this modifying a Gemini Olympia light sinse it was the only way I couild think of to mount the wide angle lens with a optic equiped light. Another thing I want to mention is that the Action wide angle lens does not work the same with all lights. It didn't have near the dramatic effect using it with the Olympia and I didn't like it at all with my Xera w/optional reflector, though it worked fine mounted to the front of the Xeras bezel with the standard optic. It's easy to test though, all you have to do is hold the wide angle lens on the front of the light and you can see what the beam pattern is going to look like before you modify anything.
    Mole

mtbr member
    That is great Mole, thanks for your feedback. I am using it for road/commuting, yes. Are you going to try yours with the wide angle lens?

mtbr member
    I will try to get some beam shots tonight.
    Personally I'm sure it clone as I can't find no company selling such a light .

Mine says made in Korea and there is Korean website ( that I can't read ) that has some intersesting pics, as well they are on Nasdaq as publicly traded company..

mtbr member
    That is great, thanks!

Here is your seller (the clone maker): CREE XML U2 Hight Performance Head Lamp_Headlamp_HI-MAXMALL You can use google translate to translate the entire wepage, or you can dynamically do that with google chrome.
    Dwayne already told us the original manufacter: ADVmonster.com

Sometimes the clones are almost as good as the originals... This one, for example, seems to be pretty great.

mtbr member

Smile

I am sceptical of clone "theory" having looked at Adv's post and my li which is not close but Identical in every aspect of the light including battery bag wire thickness , connectors, minus the name on the bezel.

Quote from ADV 's post " I am glad that someone brought this up. That is the same style housing that is used by us and a couple of other companies.
    I would not be surprised if the Adv sourced the light overseas to their specs (This is very common in retail products) made some additions like thermal paste on the reflector base and and epoxy adhesive where the wire comes out of the head for strain relief.
    Adv does not have the light on their website anymore btw.

I have electronics back ground as well as machining( i have a lathe/mill etc)
    I took my head unit apart and it is very well machined and designed right down to water proof grommet where the wire leaves the head unit.
    I like the light so I am happy

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That is great Mole, thanks for your feedback. I am using it for road/commuting, yes. Are you going to try yours with the wide angle lens?
    Pedro, I don't actually own one of these lightheads. In one of your previous posts you made it sound like being able to use the Action wide angle lens was an important factor in choosing a light and I just wanted you to know that with a little work it can be used with any light that has a lens diameter of 39mm or smaller (although results can vary).
    I have plenty of lights at the moment (8 lightheads & 5 batteries) so I'm not buying anything soon, but if you decide to get this clone lets us know how it works for you.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here's a spot XML U2 clone. Looks like they are just starting to come out now.

2 in 1 1800 Lumen CREE XM L U2 LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Light Headlamp A3 15W | eBay

Maybe someone will take the plunge who already has a T6 clone and give us a comparison.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Pedro, I don't actually own one of these lightheads. In one of your previous posts you made it sound like being able to use the Action wide angle lens was an important factor in choosing a light and I just wanted you to know that with a little work it can be used with any light that has a lens diameter of 39mm or smaller (although results can vary).
    I have plenty of lights at the moment (8 lightheads & 5 batteries) so I'm not buying anything soon, but if you decide to get this clone lets us know how it works for you.
    Mole
    Oops, I'm sorry, i thought you were the thread starter...
    However, I will post photos if i do get this light or any other kind of other U2 clone as i also have a T6.

[Here's a spot XML U2 clone. Looks like they are just starting to come out now.

2 in 1 1800 Lumen CREE XM L U2 LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Light Headlamp A3 15W | eBay

Maybe someone will take the plunge who already has a T6 clone and give us a comparison.

MB
    That got me thinking... My clone is a 9W (at least that is what the eBay seller is saying - i can't actually measure it) T6 headlight and this one is a 15W U2 led. It should be pretty powerful! I've checked the LED datasheet and i can see the U2 is ~8% brighter under the same Amps. So...it is 60% more powerfull (15W vs 9W) + 8% more efficient.
    That should make a noticeable difference...
    Last edited by PedroDank; 12-11-2012 at 07:28 AM.

mtbr member
    I used the u2 last night on my ride. I didn't take beam shots as it was very foggy.
    However here's what I could discern .
    1) it does not throw like my XML Mj clone
    2)The light fill was much more usable in stock form, rendering a wide Angle lens pointless
    3) my riding partners all voted it the brightest of my three lights.
    I had 1 mj 808 xml clone with a Smo
    1 mj 808 XML clone with two wide angle each st 90" to each other.A new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355242473.144694.jpg
    A new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355242534.092906.jpg
    I think I will be adding two wide angle lenses to my 2nd 808 clone as the spot was pointless on my bars. The U2 on my helmet worked great.
    However It did not stop me from going Otb on the first log crossing last night resulting in three massive bruises on my left thigh and hip bone. I forgot my fork lockout was on and hit a root at the base stopping me dead and cartwheeling me onto a bunch of cedar roots with my bike on top of me.
    Barely walking today. Felt like fell three feet onto a pile of 2x4 's...

mtbr member
    Thank you very much, Reelchef67. That is a great review and it made me happy.
    I don't need a thrower, but a light that can illuminate a good area in front of me, as i will be riding mostly on road.

You mentioned something very curious: two wide angle lens mounted in a 90 difference. How is the beam pattern of that configuration?!

I wish you a quick recovery!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm sore just reading that. Hope your back on the bike fast!!

mtbr member
    Thank you very much, Reelchef67. That is a great review and it made me happy.
    I don't need a thrower, but a light that can illuminate a good area in front of me, as i will be riding mostly on road.

You mentioned something very curious: two wide angle lens mounted in a 90 difference. How is the beam pattern of that configuration?!

I wish you a quick recovery!
    Thanks Pedro
    Btw it's still a thrower but wide too(very happy with that)
    I came across using two wide angle lenses online somewhere. It turns the beam from 10x30 to 30x30.
    Works brilliantly, I used a little plastic glue to stick them together at 90" it's easier to line it up that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    I'm sore just reading that. Hope your back on the bike fast!!
    Thanks
    Right now it's hovering close to freezing now making woodwork and roots teflonic..
    It's going to be a bit before I ride on that..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A new light xml U2 light (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355279595.051259.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hm, a 30x30 would still make it a spotty beam, but a bit wider, right? I guess that is a cool setup for road use if i pointed even lower to the ground. I will try to find that on that web and see if i can see some photos for comparison.

Just one more thing: when you say it is the brightest, is it only due to the spotlight or as whole considering the illuminated surroundings? (my english gets funnier when i get sleepy...)

EDIT:
    Found you magic shine 808 xml clones
    That looks great. How did you glow them? I know the wide angle lens has a roughed stripped surface and a smooth one... Did you glue only the smooth side of them? That beam pattern would be a great addition to my bar lights (already have a 808 clone with wide angle there) while commuting and road biking.

EDIT2:
    What do you think of these one: 2 in 1 1800 Lumen CREE XM L U2 LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Light Headlamp A3 15W | eBay ? It is 30$
    Last edited by PedroDank; 12-11-2012 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    I have had this light about a year now. I consider it a disposable light at this cost. So far so for Me it has a spotty beam but no where near 1800 lumen

Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Here's a spot XML U2 clone. Looks like they are just starting to come out now.

MB

mtbr member
    Hm, a 30x30 would still make it a spotty beam, but a bit wider, right? I guess that is a cool setup for road use if i pointed even lower to the ground. I will try to find that on that web and see if i can see some photos for comparison.

Just one more thing: when you say it is the brightest, is it only due to the spotlight or as whole considering the illuminated surroundings? (my english gets funnier when i get sleepy...)

EDIT:
    Found you magic shine 808 xml clones
    That looks great. How did you glow them? I know the wide angle lens has a roughed stripped surface and a smooth one... Did you glue only the smooth side of them? :
    I aligned the two flat side to flat side at 90" then clamped them gently together and dabbed a tiny bit of glue at 2 spots just on the edge. Let dry
    Just barely glued is all u need.
    I used methylene chloride which welds plastic , but u could use a little thick NOT thin! Crazy glue

mtbr member
    Hm, ok, thanks!

I guess i should be ok with one wide angle lens pointed closer to the bike (the 808 clone i already have) and that 30x30 a bit further but also too the ground...that will give me a nice pattern for road biking. What do you think?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast