Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Salts nasty, glad you like the light.
    Thankfully I live beside the trail head so I just ride without roads...
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Huckin' trails
    Meh, I have like 2-3 km to do on a bike path, so it's not that bad since when you ride the trails all the nasty stuff kinda wash out. But it's the ride back that just coat the bike all over again and you don't even have enough energy left in your body to at least wipe the chain... That's why I like it better at least below -5C, so the streets stay dry.

But yeah, for the price I really like it when I see the cost of similar "genuine" big brand name setup. I mean, it's just badass to light up the whole street when riding your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Finally received my light. It took about 4 weeks from Singapore to Boston,MA.
    I got a pretty good deal on Ebay on a non buy-it-now auction....ended up getting it for $43.
    Great light...low weight...
    I ran it on the helmet with a 3X XM-L clone on the bars.
    Best set up I have ever had....

mtbr member

A new light xml U2 light (review)

Nice, I went for a night ride last night by myself on a local xc/ DH trail. I ran 2x808 wides on my bars and the hi max on my helmet. It was awesome .
    However a little unnerving as there are cougars, coyotes and bears in the area...
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    Nice, I went for a night ride last night by myself on a local xc/ DH trail. I ran 2x808 wides on my bars and the hi max on my helmet. It was awesome .
    However a little unnerving as there are cougars, coyotes and bears in the area...
    Lucky on my night rides downtown, I just have to watch out for cougars
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Looks like Hi-Max is selling this light direct at $45....and they sell the battery also
    CREE XML U2 Hight Performance Head Lamp_Headlamp_HI-MAXMALL

mtbr member

Good deal , great small light
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member
    Does it come with a battery or not. I can't tell. the verbiage is hard to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Looks like Hi-Max is selling this light direct at $45....and they sell the battery also
    CREE XML U2 Hight Performance Head Lamp_Headlamp_HI-MAXMALL

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    Does it come with a battery or not. I can't tell. the verbiage is hard to follow.
    Yes it does. I have gotten 5 hours out of the battery.....don't know how much longer you can get out of it.
    Great light.

mtbr member
    What did they charge for shipping??

It looks like they want to charge a minimum of $18.50 for shipping, or is that if you want it faster.
    Last edited by ironbrewer; 02-14-2013 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member

Dunno I got my on eBay..
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Huckin' trails
    Well it's been since january that I've used this light (maybe 15 times total) on both trails and streets, and I'm happy with the performance of the whole package. However I think I would have to get a more "spot" beam type of light to mount on my helmet if I was to do more technical trail riding at night. But for urban and trail riding, this is a good compromise.

I've been very happy with this light except for a few nights ago when I was coming back home at 2am from a friend's house, halfway home the light went off and left me without any safety light to cars to notice me. The little green light for the switch was still on, but the LED light was out. I was just riding along in the streets, no trails...

So today I took it all apart and couldn't find anything wrong, except for the volt meter reading of the current going in the emitter. High mode read 1.00v, low mode 0.38v and strobe 0.50v. A quick search tells me that this CREE XM-L should be running on 3v, and a few amps, so I took a pack of 2 AA rechargeable batteries that reads 2.75v and hooked them right on the emitter, giving it at least 2.7v, but still no sign of success. Last thing I tried was to set the light on high mode (1v) and also use the 2AA battery pack to boost it up to over 3v and all in a sudden I revived the light, like you'd get your car's engine to start up again and run on it's own during winter.

My guess now is that the 8.6v battery pack included with the light (which has to be the cheapest thing on earth to get into the $60 price tag) and failed to give enough output in amps to get the emitter running again. Right now the issue is not happening again, but I would like to make sure it won't do it again, even more that I have a 25km night ride next friday and I can't afford any technical issues. I'm not too light savy, but I'm pretty good with everything electric/mechanic, so I would like to hear some advices as to what I could do next to make sure this will not occur again (beside getting a better battery pack). I'll keep the light on evening to drain the pack and charge it back at least, and check if the light goes off again with plenty of juice left.

Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Well it's been since january that I've used this light (maybe 15 times total) on both trails and streets, and I'm happy with the performance of the whole package. However I think I would have to get a more "spot" beam type of light to mount on my helmet if I was to do more technical trail riding at night. But for urban and trail riding, this is a good compromise.

I've been very happy with this light except for a few nights ago when I was coming back home at 2am from a friend's house, halfway home the light went off and left me without any safety light to cars to notice me. The little green light for the switch was still on, but the LED light was out. I was just riding along in the streets, no trails...

So today I took it all apart and couldn't find anything wrong, except for the volt meter reading of the current going in the emitter. High mode read 1.00v, low mode 0.38v and strobe 0.50v. A quick search tells me that this CREE XM-L should be running on 3v, and a few amps, so I took a pack of 2 AA rechargeable batteries that reads 2.75v and hooked them right on the emitter, giving it at least 2.7v, but still no sign of success. Last thing I tried was to set the light on high mode (1v) and also use the 2AA battery pack to boost it up to over 3v and all in a sudden I revived the light, like you'd get your car's engine to start up again and run on it's own during winter.

My guess now is that the 8.6v battery pack included with the light (which has to be the cheapest thing on earth to get into the $60 price tag) and failed to give enough output in amps to get the emitter running again. Right now the issue is not happening again, but I would like to make sure it won't do it again, even more that I have a 25km night ride next friday and I can't afford any technical issues. I'm not too light savy, but I'm pretty good with everything electric/mechanic, so I would like to hear some advices as to what I could do next to make sure this will not occur again (beside getting a better battery pack). I'll keep the light on evening to drain the pack and charge it back at least, and check if the light goes off again with plenty of juice left.

Thanks for your help
    First thing is; You broke the golden rule, never ride at night with just one lamp. That is "Never" a good idea and a big no-no. I'm assuming that you took the lamp home and tried to recharge the battery and it still wouldn't work. If that's so then this is not a good thing. The fact that the light went out "while riding" is not a good sign. ( I take it the lamp has battery indicators and the indicators showed you still had power (?) )

If you had a replacement battery ( and charger ) it would help in narrowing down what the issue was. Without more information it is impossible to know where the problem lies ( with the lamp head or the battery ). If the lamp is still on warranty ( usually three months ) you might try contacting the seller to get a replacement. The Hi-Max stuff has been around for quite a while. This is the first I've heard of one failing. That said, there is a first time for everything.

( *Edit: Sorry I reread what you wrote. If you tried hooking up current directly to the emitter with the AA's ( and did it correctly ) and nothing happened that is not a good sign. Chances are the emitter is burned out. If so that is very rare. If you are able to measure the current levels ( not voltage ) on the emitter terminals ( if they are exposed ) that would let you know if it is the driver or the emitter. ) I'm also assuming that you are able to measure the voltage on the battery and can determine that it is functioning normally. )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-26-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: added content

Huckin' trails

Well I did not measure the current (amps, right ?) and I should have done so while I had it all apart.

I just got a full 5 hours out of the battery pack tonight. I had charged the battery a few days before that night, and was only commuting for 1.5km home anyway, so it wasn't that critical. So the battery (and/or lamp head) got issues within the first 30 minutes (and about 5 minutes after I turn it on on my way back) on a full charge.

The voltage at the emitter connection when I had no light from the emitter at high lode was 1v, while the voltage at the same high mode, but when the emitter worked again was about 3v.

My understanding of what happened is the following : something happened with either the emitter, battery pack of circuit board causing the emitter to receive an amount of power too low to power up, a bit like neon lights, and when I boosted it up above 3v with the battery pack plus the 2AA's, everything got started again and haven't been showing any more issue since (I left it on for 5 hours inside).

But when I had only 1v reading at the emitter and no light, the emitter was heating up significantly, like it would when light is on, but since there wasn't light, I assume there was something bad going on, like a short circuit or looping resistor.

Since the emitter is alright now, and the battery pack didn't showed any issue since, my guess goes to a glitch in the circuit board and a potential sign of sudden failure from a component of the circuit board. I'll try to see about the warranty, but I bought the light in late December, so 3 months are far gone already. Worst case replacement parts should be easily available, considering the wide hobby market of these CREE LEDs. I'll be spending a few months in the USA in 3 weeks, so I can always order stuff and build a backup unit meanwhile. Most of the light value is in the CNC'd body anyway, everything else can be had for around $10 each from what I can see on the webs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    ...But when I had only 1v reading at the emitter and no light, the emitter was heating up significantly, like it would when light is on, but since there wasn't light, I assume there was something bad going on, like a short circuit or looping resistor.

Since the emitter is alright now, and the battery pack didn't showed any issue since, my guess goes to a glitch in the circuit board and a potential sign of sudden failure from a component of the circuit board. I'll try to see about the warranty, but I bought the light in late December, so 3 months are far gone already. Worst case replacement parts should be easily available, considering the wide hobby market of these CREE LEDs. I'll be spending a few months in the USA in 3 weeks, so I can always order stuff and build a backup unit meanwhile. Most of the light value is in the CNC'd body anyway, everything else can be had for around $10 each from what I can see on the webs.
    If the lamp is heating up with no light being produced than this should send up red flags; something is likely shorting out or there is a loose connection within the lamp.

I don't know why you are considering replacement parts. These are so cheap you just buy another lamp head and it should cost about the same amount ( minus all the work of trying to DIY ). Just keep the old one for parts. Many lamps being sold around $30, this is just an example. Personally I like the D99 for just over $33 ( light head only ). If you really like the look of the Hi Max lamp ( and want to stay with it ) you might try contacting the seller to see if they can sell you just the lamp head only.

Now if you can fix the issue and are sure all things are good I'll tip my hat to you. Regardless you need two lights, even if one is just a cheap torch reserved for back-up. Personally I usually use two lamps unless I'm riding on the road. Even then I still carry a torch that can be mounted on the bars in case one lamp fails. Add to that I also carry a small mini AA pocket torch for emergency repairs. At night, you never know what can happen.

Huckin' trails
    Yeah, you're right. Well my trails here are on the mountain which is right in the middle of downtown, so even if your light goes out, there isn't a big safety issue, you'll simply have to call it a day and ride back home (which is pretty close). If I was to go ride trails out in the wild, I would carry a backup. I'm still experiencing how much night riding I'm doing before deciding to invest in a full setup or just keep it casual.

I have to say I really like the look of the Hi Max, but I guess I should be looking at the trail, not my lamp For $30 I might also get a night fishing light setup for this summer by the ocean.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3