Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sounds good should work fine
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member
    Thanks! That will probably be my final setup.

I'm sorry to be a PITA, but could you please provide an outdoor picture of that 30x30? It really looks interesting, but i want to make sure i'm not wasting money... Take your time, I don't need to buy it just now. Will only do so probably in around 2 weeks...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeah,I used methylene chloride which welds plastic , but u could use a little thick NOT thin! Crazy glue

mtbr member
    Huh?
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Huckin' trails
    I just ordered one of the HI-MAX 1300Lm CREE XML T6/U2 light off ebay (HI-MAX 1300Lm CREE XML T6/U2 LED Headlamp Rechargeable Headlight set | eBay)

I should get it first week of January. I'm excited to get more tinkering going on on my bikes

edit. Should I be alright with the stock beam pattern of this light as a weekend warrior type of night riding ? Or should I go ahead and get the wider lens so I can have everything in time ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I just ordered one of the HI-MAX 1300Lm CREE XML T6/U2 light off ebay (HI-MAX 1300Lm CREE XML T6/U2 LED Headlamp Rechargeable Headlight set | eBay)

I should get it first week of January. I'm excited to get more tinkering going on on my bikes

edit. Should I be alright with the stock beam pattern of this light as a weekend warrior type of night riding ? Or should I go ahead and get the wider lens so I can have everything in time ?
    Cool
    Depends on your plans
    I would not ride without a light on my helmet..,
    If its on your bars you will be blind while turning corners.
    The light has good spread, it's somewhere between a spot and wide.
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Huckin' trails
    Thanks. I'm planning to put this one on my bars and eventually get a helmet one too.

I'll be riding mostly wide and quite easy trails, nothing fancy, and also for the next months there will be plenty of snow to provide ambient light I should might not even need the light much

For me it's really an experiment to see if having a light setup will really push me to go ride more often at night like I think I will or will not do much difference to my riding pattern... If I get to go ride more, then I'll check for helmet light too. How did you fix the light in a good and reliable way to either your helmet or bar ? The o-ring system has left me suspicious of an too easy to happen failure and I'd hate to waste my ride fighting with the light mount.

Thanks for the help
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    You' ll be fine on the bars with the trails you plan then. The oring system is very secure and not flimsy and if you wipe out it lets the light move instead of breaking a rigid mount.
    I ride some gnarly north shore Vancouver trails , o ring mount are the way to go.
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Huckin' trails
    Surprised to hear that. I had trouble to believe that those o-ring mounts were actually not just a quick fix. I'll take your word for it and see for myself.

Anyway I'm not a fast rider in tech stuff, more of a slow, but enjoying type of rider. Still have to get a lot of MTB skills in and unfortunately not having many real MTB trails around here are leaving me with the basics. But it's alright. I only ride for the god damn sake of simply riding my bike fast or slow, it's all about enjoying it.

mtbr member
    Same here, I'm 45 I ride because I can.
    Doesn't matter how fast , or how hard it is. Just being outside and moving and getting in shape. I am a gear junkie , so I'm lit up
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    It looks interesting. Keep us posted after you test it on a ride.

Huckin' trails
    Just got the light in yesterday. Everything in the package looked good, I ran the battery down after playing around a little first, took about 4 hours on max output to empty the battery pack out of the box. Then charged it overnight and now I'm waiting for the next night ride to go check it out !

I've also went riding for a few hours yesterday, so I got a good idea of the trails condition after that big snow storm, will be helpful when I go back at night. Power is great and beam looks wide enough to my untrained eyes.

I'd like to mount the light on the front of my helmet, but that headband thing isn't gonna make it around the helmet. I thought about using a piece of pipe attached to the helmet to mount the light on. Ideally would be to screw in a little pod, so it looks clean and secure. My concern with helmet mount however is what happen if I crash. I'm afraid the light will be ripped off or damaged, considering I'm usually going OTB a few times every ride, nothing hard, just kissing the snow bank, but I don't think it would be good for the light.

And I was wondering if you should charge the pack after every ride or if you should wait for it to be near the end (at worst by monitoring the run time and guessing how much battery left there is afterward) ?

mtbr member
    Lithium batteries prefer to be charged after every ride , not drained and charged.
    I cut the straps of one of my head mounts ( I have 3) then use 1 inch Velcro straps from Home Depot to strap to helmet. I route my wire along top with smaller velcros so does not snag.
    I have been Otb several times light is fine.. The oring let's it move and not get damaged.
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Huckin' trails
    Thanks for the tips

We just had another snow storm, so no riding tonight. Bike is a real ***** to pedal around and even more to clean up since I have to ride in the city to get back home, and all the streetshit is clogging up and I can't let it sit overnight with all the salts and chemicals, my brake rotors and drivetrain don't like it... But once you get to the mountain, it's a lot of fun ! I just wish I would have bought a lighter bike to begin with, instead of that 40lbs FR pig.

mtbr member
    40lbs? Yikes and I thought my bike was heavy @32lbs...
    Snow bites , we still have only rain here in Vancouver , unfortunately I have whiplash from a bad Otb so I can't ride right now. I was lucky could have been worse..
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Huckin' trails
    Yeah... it was my first mtb, and I had quite a good deal on the bike. Was pretty much new and decent specs, plus at the time I didn't wanted to buy used too much since I wasn't familiar with all the fancy mtb stuff

Now I bought a nice '00 XC bike in mint condition, one of my dream bike actually. But can't ride it till I first get some workshop remodeling done in my basement... Plus I'll need a disc wheelset, and eye-balling the carbon rim from china... otherwise I'd rip riding that bike at under 28lbs ! A GT XCR3000 with i-drive suspension is sooooo sweet

But yeah, till I somehow save $1 800 and manage to justify spending it on a $2 400 MSRP frame hand made in Bromont (Xprezo Super-D), then swap the parts over, I won't have a 150mm AM frame under 5lbs in my collection.

At least at 20yo, I still have years ahead of me

And considering I'm about 110lbs without gear, it's easy to understand how I can run out of breath pushing that bike uphill. At least I'm strong.

mtbr member
    20yo ... Rub it in...why don't cha
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Huckin' trails
    haha, well I don't think age matter much, it's all in your head.

As long as you ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What kind of run times are you getting with this light?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    What kind of run times are you getting with this light?
    I got at least 4 hours out of the factory charge on the battery pack. At the beginning of the thread, the info is posted I think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    D'oh! just saw that....Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

settings

by the way, how many brightness settings does this light have?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by hernluis View Post
    by the way, how many brightness settings does this light have?
    Three modes in the following order :

Steady Hi
    Steady Low
    Flashing Hi

You click the button to switch from hi, low, flash and off. Honestly I would have taken the flash setting in low-output, since you're more likely to use it to only show your presence and at max output it simply look like a stroboscope and not very useful at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Here's a spot XML U2 clone. Looks like they are just starting to come out now.

2 in 1 1800 Lumen CREE XM L U2 LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Light Headlamp A3 15W | eBay

Maybe someone will take the plunge who already has a T6 clone and give us a comparison.

MB
    After seeing this thread..I just ordered the Hi-Max U2
    I might order one of these clone U2s also at that price.
    Thanks for all the details here, guys!
    Finally replacing an old Niterider Moab that is starting to have some issues....

Huckin' trails
    Well I tried it last night on a short urban commute just for fun. Power is awesome and beam pattern is nice. Good ambient light and spot. Weather is awful to ride in unless you wanna spend over 1 hour cleaning out your drivetrain and bike after the ride. Streets are full of salt and chemicals so unless you drive to the trails, it's killing your bike. Sad. I'll see if I could take some pictures of the light beam though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast