mtbr member

New light system for me - good choice? (not yet purchased)

I currently own some magic shine lights, four years old. They've served me well, but it's time to retire them. I'm looking to buy a helmet light and a handlebar light within the next couple of weeks. My thoughts are to go with a gloworm xs and a gloworm x2v3. My riding at night is purely for enjoyment, mostly single track rides in the autumn, and one 24 Hour race during the summer. I don't commute. With my magic shine setup, I just run the lights at the highest setting.

I'm trying to get a consensus if my gloworm choices are a good choice for my needs outlined above. I'm aware of the wires possibly being a bit short on the handlebar remotes, but I think this issue has been resolved?

There's a lot of choices out there, almost too many. Gloworms appear to receive largely good reviews. I guess I'm just looking for some input from others with far more experience than me.

Thanks very much for any replies!

mtbr member
    I think your choice of lights are going perform beyond your needs. I only own the XS and I'm blown away with the output and quality of build.

mtbr member
    I've had mine since February and have no wire length issues. The wire exits the housing to the right of my stem, and runs to the end of the left handlebar by the brake lever mount, with a good bit of droop in the cable. I'm moving it further away this weekend, onto the brake lever housing.

I think you will be amazed by the total output and programmability of the GLOworms. The XS doesn't just throw out a lot of light. The main spot is wide, and transition between spot and flood is smooth. I commute, and the spot nearly lights up the full lane width, and the flood makes both sides of the road very visible. I mostly run at 70% pwr, but 100% is absolutely gorgeous, and hard to resist.

I love not having a light on the light (XS) on my bar... just another distraction from watching where you are going. I like the flexiblity in the UI. The best bike mode IMO is a high/low combo, so that's how I run it. For the 24hour races, you can set a custom high/mid/pwr save, or adjust on the fly in 10% steps, either direction, with the same button.

Their battery pack is expensive, but they let you purchase the head alone. I'm using a $20 chinese holder with loose cells for now. You can purchase cheaper packs elsewhere, make your own, etc.

mtbr member
    Good to hear that you haven't experienced any wire length issues. I agree on the battery packs, but I'm just going to bite the bullet on that. Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    I currently own some magic shine lights, four years old. They've served me well, but it's time to retire them. I'm looking to buy a helmet light and a handlebar light within the next couple of weeks. My thoughts are to go with a gloworm xs and a gloworm x2v3. My riding at night is purely for enjoyment, mostly single track rides in the autumn, and one 24 Hour race during the summer. I don't commute. With my magic shine setup, I just run the lights at the highest setting.

I'm trying to get a consensus if my gloworm choices are a good choice for my needs outlined above. I'm aware of the wires possibly being a bit short on the handlebar remotes, but I think this issue has been resolved?

There's a lot of choices out there, almost too many. Gloworms appear to receive largely good reviews. I guess I'm just looking for some input from others with far more experience than me.

Thanks very much for any replies!
    From what you've said I'm not sure if you are using the original MagicShine's with the original SSC P7 LED's. If you are you are going to be amazed at the difference if you start buying ANYTHING newer.

I've been using the Gloworm lights since they first started coming out ( has it been three years? ) ( I own 4 Gloworm lamps ) I'll only say that if you buy one of the new X2 (v3's) and put that on the bars you will be amazed at how bright they are. I don't own one of the XS's. I could probably buy one but at this point I really don't have a need for more light coming off the bars. At 1500 "real lumen", the X2 (v3) provides more light than I generally need. Most times I use a single emitter XM-L2 torch on my helmet and generally run that on medium or I'll run a dedicated bike lamp on the helmet if I think I might need more light ( as in the fall when the leaf cover begins to hide trail features ).

Since you seem to want a Gloworm lamp I would definitely recommend you get one but perhaps buy an X2 (v3 ) for the bars first and then consider just upgrading the MS lamp to one with the newer XM-L2 emitter ( for the helmet ). Since you already own the batteries for the MS's you just need the lamp head. Turns out ActionLED sells both brands of lamps ( lamp head only or with battery ) AND If you dialog with Jim at ActionLED before buying I bet he would let you try the newer XM-L2 emitter MS lamp head first ( along with your X2 purchase ) and if you didn't like the MS head I bet he would likely let you exchange it ( within a reasonable time ) if you decided you didn't like it or wanted to upgrade to another lamp ( Gloworm XS or something else ).

Don't misunderstand me, owning two Gloworm lamps would be fantastic but IMO an XS on the bars and an X2 on the helmet is "practical overkill". My bet is that you will be very happy with an X2 (v3) on the bars and the newer XM-L2 Magicshine on the helmet. If I'm right you save a little money. If I'm wrong, you go to plan B and send the MS lamp head back, put the X2 on the helmet and buy the XS. Just be prepared to bring sunglasses on your summer evening rides if you go that route and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Need some comparative input. I do night riding in a community north of Chicago that has virtually no street lights on the route I take. (No, it's not Detroit, they just don't like street lights.) I run my original MS on helmet, and for added light when I hit the suburb I have a NiteRider pro 1200 I got last month for $200 on sale. My main complaint about the NR is the fact it's a proprietary connector, cells aren't user replaceable, and a new battery pack will run me $150 when the time comes. Would the X2 be a better choice? Is it a standard MS connector? If so, would I be better to get a head only since battery option runs $80 at minimum from Action LED? And if yes where do I get an appropriate charger?
    Edit: Either way I'm going to replace the old MS head for a new one since I have a functional Geoman battery pack for it.

mtbr member
    X2 does use the MS connector. You can get the battery and charger from Action. You can use the gloworm, ms, and gemini batteries. Or get a battery through Hunk Lee.

Panasonic LiIon Battery Pack 7 4V 5800mAh for MagicShine LED Bike Light NCR 2S2P | eBay

A Panasonic NCR18650 7 4V 9300mAh Li ion Battery 6 3100mAh Cells to 2S3P w PCM | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    From what you've said I'm not sure if you are using the original MagicShine's with the original SSC P7 LED's. If you are you are going to be amazed at the difference if you start buying ANYTHING newer....
    Wow, fantastic feedback! I'm not sure of the map specs on my Magic Shine, I only know that they are very old! Tremendous feedback from all - thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had an issue with my X2V3.1 Gloworm that required a warranty replacement of the lighthead. The new one came with a remote wire 2 inches longer than the old one. I haven't heard anything official about a spec. change but I'm guessing that's what happened. If your going to order a new X2 or XS you might want to check with the seller to make sure you get one with the longer wire (my new ones wire measures 8.5 in. from the lighthead to where it enters the remote). Even if you don't need the extra length now, wider bars seem to be the trend plus it gives you more flexibility on where you mount your light/remote.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Thanks Mole. I'll be sure to ask what length the wire is when I order.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mole. I'll be sure to ask what length the wire is when I order.
    What did you go with? I was think XS and X2, but as stated above it might be overkill. What about an 2 x X2 (bars and helmet)?
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    I ended up ordering one Gloworm X2 and one X1, both with 2 cell batteries as the longest I'm ever out at night is three hours.

mtbr member
    So I ordered yesterday from Action 3pm my time and my lights arrived today 11:45am. Less than 24 hours from Illinois to Edmonton, Alberta. Fast! As a bonus, I got the Rockford obituary pullout from the local newspaper.

mtbr member
    I ended up ordering one Gloworm X2 and one X1, both with 2 cell batteries as the longest I'm ever out at night is three hours.
    I think you'll be very happy with your choice of lamps. Might be a good idea to buy at least one new four cell battery by fall. I know you have your batteries from your old lamps and while they might work with the Gloworms they are old. While the two cell batteries you bought are very good batteries for longer rides you might be better with at least one 4-cell. I always look at it this way, "Better to have more run-time than you need than to need more run-time and not have it".

mtbr member
    That seems like a very high-quality and bright set up, enjoy!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Yup, I'm excited to give them a try! The issue is that up here in the north, we still have daylight at 10pm, so doing a night ride might be a "set the alarm for 2am" kind of thing. I'm sure my wife will think I'm nuts!

mtbr member
    So what did you end up getting??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    So what did you end up getting??
    See below

mtbr member
    Sweet! Killer set up.