mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New light needed. Cygolite Centauri?

Looking to buy my first light system since my Niterider 05' Storm.
    I have looked at multiple lights and specs in the last 2 weeks and I am ready to give up.
    Thanks to you guys with the technical specs, but way too much info. and I am severely confused.
    Need to keep the system around $400.00 with the purchase of an additional battery.
    I think I have it narrowed down to the Cygolite TridenX 750 and OSP 1000.
    I may do 2 or 3, 24 hr. events a year and I know the Triden may be better for that, but I can't help but want the extra 25% of lumens with the 1000.
    There are very limited reviews on the 1000 and I want to know if it was not marketed well or not well received. I can run it on medium for extended use and like I said, purchase an additional battery for extended use.
    The Seca 1400 has dropped $200.00 but is still out of my price range, so we'll leave that one out, although the 2 1/2 hr. charge time vs. the 7 hr.for the Cygolite, is killer!
    Help!!!!!!

Thanks

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Get the Centauri. Run it at 1/2 power and go about 5.5 hours, maybe a bit more. Run it around the 200-250 lumen mark for climbs with 1/2 power for other stuff and you'll go a pretty long time, probably 6.5-7 hours. It's amazing how much light 250 lumens is when there's no other light around you in the dark.

Yes, I do own one. I run it around half power almost all the time and have plenty of juice left after 3.5 hour rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You can't go wrong with either choice,i had the older version of the TridenX and can't say enough good things about it. A buddy of mine has the Centauri and i can say it also is nice. It has a very smooth beam pattern and of coarse more output.

Are you stuck on those two options pedlin' slow? I'm asking as i see the Trailled DarkStar has redone their light of the year, now output is a wopping 1600 lumens and three hour run times on that setting.Total weight with battery is 375grams.It's using very efficient XML leds that on low setting 500 or 600 lumens should give you stupid amounts of run time. It's a few more $$ i think $420 but a big step up in performance and run time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am not stuck on any particular light. There are just sooo many options and just as many opinions. I figured I would stay with a known name brand that has a quality light at a good price. Seems like I could research this topic FOREVER!
    Like I said, I want a light to do a few 24 hr. races a year and maybe 30 or so night rides for fun and training, at about the 2 -4 hr. mark each. It's a tough call with L and M, Ay Up, Cygo, Baja, Majicshine to name a few.
    I will research the light you suggested also.
    Art's has the Centauri at $329.00 right now and I figured I could pick up an extra battery for the 24 hr. races with the left over dough.
    Your thoughts? I see you post a lot on lights.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I't will drive one nutz over analyzing all the choices available. Do you already have a working light? Just asking as reguardless of quality on your light set, it is always a good idea to have a back up light.If you only have one,and it dies,your screwed!! I would recomened differently if you were looking at both a helmet and bar light as it becomes more difficult in the $400 range. But there are some good choices available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was going to run whatever I got on the bar or helmet. Whichever worked better. Two lights would be ideal, but to get that along with the option of needing dual batteries for each for the 24 hr. stuff sounds mighty pricey!
    I have the 05' Niterider Storm that I can get 2 hours out of , but that's it's limit. No high, med,, low or anything. Just ON.
    I may just borrow a backup at the 24 hr. events. All this is making my head and wallet hurt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well that will work good as a backup light,don't know how much output it has though.Is it halogen or HID?Reguardless,it is enought to get you home,but would be out gunned by your new system. Well if just one primary light, i would go for lumens.The Centauri 1000 with an extra battery would be about the same$$ as the Trailled Darkstar with modified battery capacity.I know Grady used to custom make a larger battery for a price.With a couple extra cells,you could get 1600 lumens for more than 4+ hours. Would have to guess 800 lumens would then last you over eight hours. Scar with his Amoeba, and NEW XML 1500 lumen light would also do the trick.If these guys aren't to backlogged you would be getting very high quality product in your price range and not have to wait to long for delivery. The added bonus with both the DIY guys is they can custom build to your specs. The down side is they are both very busy as they are small company's so you can't just go down to your LBS and buy it on the spot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedlin' Slow View Post
    I am not stuck on any particular light. There are just sooo many options and just as many opinions. I figured I would stay with a known name brand that has a quality light at a good price. Seems like I could research this topic FOREVER!
    Like I said, I want a light to do a few 24 hr. races a year and maybe 30 or so night rides for fun and training, at about the 2 -4 hr. mark each. It's a tough call with L and M, Ay Up, Cygo, Baja, Majicshine to name a few.
    I will research the light you suggested also.
    Art's has the Centauri at $329.00 right now and I figured I could pick up an extra battery for the 24 hr. races with the left over dough.
    Your thoughts? I see you post a lot on lights.
    Thanks
    Hey Peddlin Slow, just thought i'd check to see if your OK. I know it's frustrating trying to figure out your options with so many of us recomending one thing or another. Did you make your choice yet? Your on the right track as you are looking at quality first.If you want to keep it simple and in your budget,stay with the Cygolite Centauri,or TridenX 750. Both very good products,close in output,long run times with an extra battery especialy the TridenX 750,and in your budget.You will be happy with either. Good Luck!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I went with the Centauri 1000. It should be here on Friday. For those of you who speak of resistors, lux, capacitors, bin #'s (good grief) and such, going custom may be the way to go, but I decided to go tried and true and let the manufacturer design it for me.
    With the extra battery I should be able to get a 24 hr. night ride in without too much trouble.
    I hope for the best.
    I'll post a review as soon as I get a good ride on it.
    Thanks for all your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No need to hope for the best Pedlin Slow, i think you will be impressed with the quality of the build, and the output packaged in a very smooth beam pattern. One great bar light of which a earlier post back when this light was released, commented that he prefered the beam pattern over his Night Rider 1200 Pro, $649 light.Cheers!!!