One life, One boss

New light Choice: NR Trinewt vs. Moab

Time for a new light this year for the helmet. Looking for anyones' thoughts between the New Trinewt with LED's vs. the Moab HID.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Moab....Pricepoint has the Moab on sale right now $50 less than the Trinewt.

Pros: I really like the fact that the Moab can go for hours on end without a recharge and how it puts off a ton of light. I hope to do a 24 hr race this year again, so that is a big bonus.

Cons:
    I hear with with the HID, ballast and bulbs can be expensive to replace, and with the LED's in the Trinewt, I would never need to worry about that. I am under the impression the Trinewt would overall be more reliable, similar light output, but less burn time.

Anyone feel like steering me in one direction or another...thanks!

mtbr member
    I believe the Moab puts out ~400 lumens and the Trinewt ~500. I have used NR HID lights for a few years and they were great for their time, but their time is over. The beam pattern isn't the best and the light has a very blue color to it on the NR HIDs. I own two NR HIDs and one has a broken bulb that is $100 to replace so I never did.

Back when I bought mine there was not much choice other than HID if you wanted long run-times and bright lights. Now you have so many LED options out there that I think it would be foolish to buy a HID light now. You can get long run times on LED lights too especially since most have multiple dimming options.

Anyway of the two lights I would choose the Trinewt over the Moab, but their are other led lights I would get before the Trinewt. Both the Moab and Trinewt are heavy lightheads so if you plan to use it on your helmet then you should consider that.

There are so many LED bike light offering right now it is hard to keep track, but of course I would start with the light shootout here first.

BBW
    mtbr member
    if you wanna do a 24h, check other options like DiNotte and Lupine Tesla... way better quality, output, reliable, etc.
    Forget HID. Check geomangear for the best price on the Tesla and also check the photon max
    I got my Tesla from him... 9 hours on medium!!! plenty of light and extremelly light weight (just 4 oz the headlight)

One life, One boss
    Sweet, thanks for "showing me the light" or maybe geomangear should thank BBW

I should be putting in an order via geomangear later this week for the Tesla 7. I like the additional run time of the T7 set up; claimed 5 hrs at 12 watts vs. the Tesla 4 with 3 hrs at 12 watts.

BBW
    mtbr member
    You wont regret it... the medium setting is insanely bright. I bet you could do the whole night portion of the race in medium and will not need another light
    I love mine