Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

New Lezyne LED lights coming soon

Some nicely thought out little lights. I will note pricing when I have that info for sure, but they are not $ and not $$$. Think $$ and seemingly very well made.

News article here with pics, etc.

450L to 150L lights in three models, USB charging, custom drivers and reflectors. Cree LEDs across the line.

Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    I have become a big fan of Lezyne stuff lately, and I am loving this.

Got a suspension fork
    slick
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    slick
    Based on what? The looks or the numbers? I don't see any numbers, other than price.

trail rat
    SLO guys, good guys, genius design, excellent quality. Fellow trail riders and trail workers, beer drinkers (what other company can you do warranty swaps over beer and tacos each Thursday?). You will love this stuff, trust me.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    Based on what? The looks or the numbers? I don't see any numbers, other than price.
    The whole package, XML LED light, looks great, priced reasonable. Love it.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    So....the weights, approx cost, lumens, etc are not numbers? I do not have run or charge times if that is what you need.

But if you still feel the need for more numbers:

7 62 666 pi 36-26-36

Feel free to use any of those
    Blog Ramblings

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    As an aside, from my take on things, Lezyne is not trying to compete in the aftermarket, direct to consumer high end LED market, but they wanted to offer a bike shop sold, supported, and distributed light that is not expensive, is bright enough to be useful, is not a plastic bodied thing that rubber bands to the bars and has no real light pattern, and is rugged enough to last.

But, you have to wonder if the next step, assuming these do well, is the double whammy 900 lumen version for serious trail riding? Could be.

And, yes, they are a cool group of local, small biz folks like slocaus said. That is not a bad thing if you need to decide where to spend your money on a good product.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    But if you still feel the need for more numbers:

7 62 666 pi 36-26-36

Feel free to use any of those
    Ah, thank you! I think I'll take 666, might come handy next time I have those Jesus freaks knock on my door. As for 36-26-36, no, I'm afraid, I don't have much use for that one. Terrible chocolate addictions, you see...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Does anybody here have experience with the Lezyne Super Drive light yet? With its metal construction and non-proprietary battery, it looks like a promising light for my commuting use.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby214 View Post
    Does anybody here have experience with the Lezyne Super Drive light yet? With its metal construction and non-proprietary battery, it looks like a promising light for my commuting use.
    This guy just ordered one, so he will eventually.
    Serfas TSL-500 True 500 Lumen Headlight

(Search will show more mentions, but no one with one.)
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    This guy just ordered one, so he will eventually.
    Serfas TSL-500 True 500 Lumen Headlight

(Search will show more mentions, but no one with one.)
    Yeah, I did order one and should have it in about a week I'm guessing (CA to MA UPS ground is so slow). Check out that above link for my thoughts about the Lyzene light vs the Night Rider and Serfas. I'm not expecting miracles with this thing (450 lumens remember) but it will be a nice backup light to my MS 856 and Gemini Xera. I can also pop it on my sons or daughters bikes so they can night ride with me. I have the spare 18650 batteries from a few torch lights I have so I think this light is worth owning. If you buy this light I highy suggest you invest in some high quality protected 18650 cells like the AW's. Also from what I read Lyzene is working on a helmet mount which would be a wise thing to do IMO. I think a great commuter light for sure.

What's weird is these lights are available in Europe already and only Lyzene seemed to currently have it in the US so I ordered it directly from them for $109 + shipping.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

trail rat
    The Europeans seem more ready to buy elegant designs than Americans. Even a couple local shops are hesitant to stock them.

I know Lezyne products well, I live in the same town where Lezyne is located.
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    How do you think I got the screen name? SLO CA US
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Yeah, I did order one and should have it in about a week I'm guessing (CA to MA UPS ground is so slow). Check out that above link for my thoughts about the Lyzene light vs the Night Rider and Serfas. I'm not expecting miracles with this thing (450 lumens remember) but it will be a nice backup light to my MS 856 and Gemini Xera. I can also pop it on my sons or daughters bikes so they can night ride with me. I have the spare 18650 batteries from a few torch lights I have so I think this light is worth owning. If you buy this light I highy suggest you invest in some high quality protected 18650 cells like the AW's. Also from what I read Lyzene is working on a helmet mount which would be a wise thing to do IMO. I think a great commuter light for sure.

What's weird is these lights are available in Europe already and only Lyzene seemed to currently have it in the US so I ordered it directly from them for $109 + shipping.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the AW cells. I do plan on having additional batteries. Batteries are an area where I prefer to not skimp. I've had some cheapo batteries that swelled and failed prematurely. I don't want to have one swell inside of my commuter light and get stuck.

The 450 lumens should be more than sufficient for my commuting purposes. Right now, I'm using two old Cateye lights (EL320 and EL135) with Rayovac Hybrid batteries, so running the Lezine on medium will still be a significant improvement for me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby214 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion on the AW cells. I do plan on having additional batteries. Batteries are an area where I prefer to not skimp. I've had some cheapo batteries that swelled and failed prematurely. I don't want to have one swell inside of my commuter light and get stuck.

The 450 lumens should be more than sufficient for my commuting purposes. Right now, I'm using two old Cateye lights (EL320 and EL135) with Rayovac Hybrid batteries, so running the Lezine on medium will still be a significant improvement for me.
    Your welcome on the batteries. Don't skimp on batteries OR a charger. Here is a nice inexpensive 18650 charger that has received good reviews on the Candle Power Forums. Yes the Lyzene light charges the batteries but this is nice to have for the price.

Xtar WP2

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Got my new Super Drive from Lyzene...Nice little lite and lightweight.

Approx. 18mm diameter smooth refelctor with a pretty deep set LED which throws a very smooth but fairly tight beam. Probably awesome for a commuter bike. Power I would say is excellent (I have 2 superb 500+ lumen single 18650 torches to compare it to) with a nice color white beam. I only used it so far on my road commute to the trails last night where it was great IMO. (Sorry, once I hit the trails bigger lumen lights took over). I will test it on trails another time. The clamp held just fine for the 2 hour ride and the lamphead itself is securley held to the mount but easy to remove. USB plug cover works well and the overall finish is pretty nice (I got light gray color). It would have been really sweet if the power button glowed when the light was turned on.

The supplied 18650 battery is larger than my other 18650 batteries and just barely fit the charger I have. Of course you don't need a seperate charger as you can charge the battery in the light itself with the supplied USB cable. 18650 batteries can vary in size a bit and the guy at Lyzene said they designed the light to handle about any size. Some torches will not accept all 18650 batteries as an FYI. On the bottom of the light is a nice little graphic indicating which way to insert the battery. I will try to do a full power battery run test very soon on the Lyzene supplied 2400mAh battery and my own AW 2900mAh and 3100mAh Callies Kustoms batteries and check back.

Some battery run times for the Lyzene Power Drive. Just a note...when the battery runs low to approx 15% the Power Drive drops to it's lowest setting and will blink every 1 minute until it finally expires.

Supplied 2400mAh Lyzene battery...1 hour and 36 minutes on high before it kicked down to low. It then ran for another 35 minutes at this setting before going out.

Callies Kustoms 3100mAh Panasonic battery...1 hour and 46 minutes on high before kicking down to low. It then ran another 3 hours (yes, 3 freaking hours on low) before I finally shut the light off and went to bed. Amazing.

I may retest with the Lyzene battery again and I also have some AW 2900mAh batteries I need to try also. The bottom line is Lyzene said the light would run 1.5 hrs on high and that proved to be right on the mark and then some. With the higher capacity battery it's even better.

Also, during the first test I was running the light standing verticle on it's tail cap with no cooling. After 30 minutes the entire body was quite hot so I ran a fan to cool it for the remainder of the testing. Real world where you would actually be moving I see no issues. The light does contain a thermal control if it gets to hot.

A little trail test tomorrow night hopefully

mtbr member
    I've been using a Super Drive for a couple weeks. They are bright! Plenty of light for trail riding.
    Even the Mini drive is more than enough for commuting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Helmet Mount?

Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

Any more information on the helmet mount? Without a helmet mount from Lyzene what are the options for mounting to a helmet?

swag ho Administrator

mtbr member
    I picked my superdrive up at a local shop on Saturday but wasn't able to get it on the trails until Wednesday night. The price was the best I have seen $99, they do have a website also.

Being that it was my first nite ride ever, and I was alone, I rode a trail I am very familiar with and went slow (7mi- 38 minutes). The ride was a blast I am hooked on nite riding. The light had plenty of power lit the trail up great for my speed. I did realize I would like a helmet lite for the corners but again the peripheral liting was adequate for my speed.

Looking at the lite I can see how it would be easy to strap it to the helmet by dremeling a slight notch for the mounting bracket between the airflows. Not sure how well the minidrive would strap on as it is shorter, but the super drive on the bars and the mini on the helmet might be a pretty good set up. Or should the less bright light be in the bars and the brighter on the helmet?

Any suggestions for a noob?
    Last edited by luvdabeach2001; 11-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Picture of Helmet Mounts and 2 on the Bar How Many Lumens

Please share your photos of this light helmet mounted.

Also, if you mount 2 on the bar does that mean you have a 900 lumen light or a 450 lumen light with a wider beam pattern?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    The Europeans seem more ready to buy elegant designs than Americans. Even a couple local shops are hesitant to stock them.

I know Lezyne products well, I live in the same town where Lezyne is located.
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    How do you think I got the screen name? SLO CA US
    Say hi to micky if you see him.
    "It looks flexy"

trail rat
    They gave us a bunch of stuff for our trail work day today. Packs, tools, pumps, lights, the full special tool kit! People were very excited about the lights.

Will do.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbmxkid View Post
    Please share your photos of this light helmet mounted.

Also, if you mount 2 on the bar does that mean you have a 900 lumen light or a 450 lumen light with a wider beam pattern?
    450+450=900...correct. ....a wider beam pattern (?)....Depends on how you aim the lights but even if you over-lap the beams completely the spill should be brighter giving you the appearance of a wider beam pattern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    450+450=900...correct. ....a wider beam pattern (?)....Depends on how you aim the lights but even if you over-lap the beams completely the spill should be brighter giving you the appearance of a wider beam pattern.
    Wow! Seems like this would be a nice setup at an affordable price. Just concerned about the helmet mount.

In addition, if my kids or wife want to ride at the local trails or we are doing evening or night road riding or even day road riding (for max visibility) we could share the lights between us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast