mtbr member
    Nov 2009

New Led- MT-G2,,, Anyone Familliar With This??

I found a new flashlight at Goingear using two of these MT-G2 leds claiming over 5200 ansi lumens. They look like a larger die almost reminds me of an older SST50, or 90. Nova MM15 is the flashlight.

Has anyone heard of this led and is usable in bike light application, oris the die to big?? They claim two hours of run time on the high setting using four 2200 18650's. Thanx!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Someone over in the DIY forum used those. You'll have better luck asking over there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by robs31 View Post
    Someone over in the DIY forum used those. You'll have better luck asking over there.
    Thanx!! I'll see if I can find that thread. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    I just took a look at it over on the Cree website. Very interesting. Not sure how long these have been out. Too tired at the moment to investigate. Might be a while till someone makes a workable optic.

If using the 6v platform module the emitter should output close to 1800 lumen if driven around 2.8A. Apparently it emits close to 18 watts. That means it will get hotd when running full tilt. I didn't look at the data sheet but I'm guessing that the lumen output will drop once the emitter gets over 80C. Run on high, that's going to happen really quick.

Anyway, might make for some killer single emitter helmet lamps and torches. Whatever it's used in the lamp is going to need some major heat sinking. Geez, just thinking out loud here but if you retro fit something like a SSX2 with these things ( using two ) I bet the lumen output would double. *Yawn*....well , likely wouldn't be able to use two because of the voltage drop requirement but could still be workable in a single emitter application. *Yawwwwwn*......umm.......might be able to run a parallel set-up ( using standard 7.4 volt batteries ) but would need a 6A driver. Sheesh, that would sure drain a battery when run on high.....well, more to think on tomorrow. ....Xeccon S-12 ( helmet lamp ) retro fitted with MT-G2, I want one! Almost double the output....sweeeeeet! ( I bet I will see deer eyes lighting up for a quarter mile )

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I just took a look at it over on the Cree website. Very interesting. Not sure how long these have been out. Too tired at the moment to investigate. Might be a while till someone makes a workable optic.
    This LED is already used in various torches for relatively long time...

EagleTac - SX25L3 - Technical specifications

solarforce - Welcome to Solarforce

Armytek Grizzly MT-G2. Specification and options for Grizzly Flashlight.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    MT-G2 LED has been around for a while now. Although there are a few flashlights as Archie listed, I haven't seen any commercial bike lights using this LED.

Here's a build I did that worked our really well... it quickly became my favorite bike light for beam quality and tint as well as brightness:

35mm Easy2Led build

mtbr member
    Might be a reason no one is using them for bike lights. Could be the emitter dome ( and basic design ) makes it difficult to harness all the light. Then again like I said before maybe there aren't optics designed to use them. Don't know enough about it to say for sure though. This I do know, if the optics are available there are drivers that could work with an emitter set-up like this. I can envision a duel set-up using the 6v version that could output over 3000 lumen. It would need a really good design to sink all the heat and likely weigh more than other bike lights but if used on the bars would make a killer bar light. Truthfully though, you can do the same thing with XM-L2's, you just need to use more of them. Really doesn't appeal to me that much though to use more than one because the power drain from the battery would make it impractical. .

Now if you can use just one in a lamp head similar to the Xeccon S-12 and get it to produce a similar beam pattern, I would definitely want one. Eighteen hundred lumen coming off a single emitter reflector lamp in a tight beam pattern could be awesome. Since I rarely use my current helmet lamps at full power anyway, having the option for some timely "Super throw" ( for the high speed downhills ) could be nice ( as long as the lamp weight doesn't make the whole thing useless. )

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'd suggest the MTG2's would make great bike lights for several reasons:

They're more efficient than xml's
    They're floody due to the large die size
    They have better color rendition
    They create less heat per lumen than xml's

The only con is they won't throw as well as an xml, which just means if you're wanting an MTG2 thrower for a bike light the reflector diameter would need to be larger.

Armytek are already in the process of releasing an MTG2 Bike light:

Armytek Forsage Flashlight. Extremely bright light for cycling.

Harnessing their capabilities due to die size isn't really an issue, they just require different reflector dimensions and have been used to great success already for several flashlight applications. Beam profilewise they're simply floodier and brighter than xml's.
    There's a lot of information on them over at budgetlightforums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    I'd suggest the MTG2's would make great bike lights for several reasons:

They're more efficient than xml's
    They're floody due to the large die size
    They have better color rendition
    They create less heat per lumen than xml's

The only con is they won't throw as well as an xml, which just means if you're wanting an MTG2 thrower for a bike light the reflector diameter would need to be larger.

Armytek are already in the process of releasing an MTG2 Bike light...
    I agree, I was thinking the same thing. The MTG2 is like having two XML's in one emitter. Since it is an array apparently the voltage drops vary according to how you want it to work. The 6 volt version should work well for bike lights using typical batteries.

I agree with you about the use of reflectors with these emitters. My gut instinct is that to get a narrow beam you might need a larger reflector however for a bar lamp that might not be a big issue. Optics though would be my preference as long as you can find them. Still, I'd like to see someone try to fit one of these into a standard Magicshine with OP reflector. My bet is that it would kick as*. Then again if not suited for the reflector the artifacts in the beam pattern could be horrible.