mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New Head Lamp time

I've been using a niterider duel newt on my helmet for a few years now, and I am looking for something brighter. Anyone here have opinions on the following
    Jet lights A-51 - seems like a good all around light
    Dinotte 1200 - 1200 lumens sounds awesome.
    Lupine Piko 3 - weight, and brightness are enticing.

Has anyone used both the older duel newt system, and any of the 3 listed above? If so how did they compare? How do they compare to a MS-900?

I will use this with a L&M stella on my bars.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No comments on your choices, but I would also consider the Exposure Diablo for a helmet light... 110 grams including self-contained battery... very attractive IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey fireroadjunky, you have three very different helmet choices here.I'll go in the order you listed.Jet A-51 has very good reputation for quality and is the least expensive of the group.Lux measurment i believe was 40.Would make a decent helmet light.The Dinotte 1200+ is by far the brightest,biggest and most expensive of the three,would make a great bar light, but in my opinion to big and floody for the helmet.The Piko is just stupid how good it is in quality, programing options,and is a little brighter than the A-51.Not sure exactly what the true lux measurment is as it's fluctuated from 55/41/44 and 45.The Wilma which has been measured at 110 lux has 4 XPG's so it wouldn't be a stretch to say the 2 XPG Piko would be somewhere in the 45/55 lux range.Mine arrived a couple of days ago and i compared to my MS in the back yard and the Piko easily out gunned the MS.Of these three,, i'd go with the Piko!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    In the MTBR comparison, the A51 was 40 lux, and the Lupine Piko was 44 when measured with the same equipment.

Lupine is 10% brighter, but 50% more expensive. The Dinotte is a great light, but way too expensive for me.

I think overall, the A51 is the best bang for the buck. Unless you are bombing downhills at night, the A51 will be plenty of light for you.