Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Got the replacement Duo from Action-Led. It is smooth (no artifacts) and slightly brighter. It appears to have a higher color temp, yes. Success.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hello Everyone,

This question is geared towards anyone who has purchased a DUO. I just received mine this afternoon. I have fully charged the battery and installed it onto my bicycle. I have one question/concern. My LED status indicator continuously stays illuminated regardless if the light is actually on or not. I do not believe it should do this. Can anyone confirm that the LED status indicator turns off when the headlight it turned off. At this point the only way to turn off the green led on the back of the light is to physically unplug the battery.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Daniel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dowsiany View Post
    Hello Everyone,

This question is geared towards anyone who has purchased a DUO. I just received mine this afternoon. I have fully charged the battery and installed it onto my bicycle. I have one question/concern. My LED status indicator continuously stays illuminated regardless if the light is actually on or not. I do not believe it should do this. Can anyone confirm that the LED status indicator turns off when the headlight it turned off. At this point the only way to turn off the green led on the back of the light is to physically unplug the battery.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Daniel
    Its supposed to be on it lets you know your battery is connected and have power. It takes very little juice dont worry about it
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I bought a Duo two weeks ago from Action because of all the good reviews here. When the light came, there was something loose in the light head. It sounded like a little screw was bouncing around in the light head. Anyway, I emailed Action and with no questions asked, Jim dropped a new head in the mail the same day. He instructed me to drop my Duo head back in the shipping tube and affix the prepaid shipping label once I received the new one. Jim even said to use my original Duo if I needed. Thursday my new Duo head showed up but I didn't use it yet. It doesn't have any loose objects inside and powers up as it should.

Great service and fast shipping from Action. Glad to see some companies still treat the customer so well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1 View Post
    I bought a Duo two weeks ago from Action because of all the good reviews here. When the light came, there was something loose in the light head. It sounded like a little screw was bouncing around in the light head. Anyway, I emailed Action and with no questions asked, Jim dropped a new head in the mail the same day. He instructed me to drop my Duo head back in the shipping tube and affix the prepaid shipping label once I received the new one. Jim even said to use my original Duo if I needed. Thursday my new Duo head showed up but I didn't use it yet. It doesn't have any loose objects inside and powers up as it should.

Great service and fast shipping from Action. Glad to see some companies still treat the customer so well.
    Jim is the bomb! He always take care of his customers. Deal w/ him a few times and always satisfied w/ his product and service.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had a chance to try out the Duo last night, this head puts out a nice flood. Comparing it to my Serfas ture 1500 light the Serfas is much better in every way, but 3 times the size and weight. The Serfas light color is more natural also. The color of the Duo is white but when comparing them side by side the Serfas seems more yellow but also more natural to my eye.

I think having 3 led in a row with center being the spot is the way to design a head, the Duo needs more spot in my view. Also puts out alot of heat, I will be sending it back and getting the Xera.

Jim at Action your right!! is the best at taking care and standing behind what he sells, has super fast shipping. Its just hard to competed with the true 1500 when you can get one for 199.00 now, at Price Point.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That's the only problem with the True 1500 as you mention, size and weight. I compared my wife's Olympia to the True 1500 and they were comparable. I liked the Olympia's color temperature a little better. The best combo I have seen is the Olympia (bars) and Xera on the helmet. The Duo is nice and will be awesome when spot optics are available. I'll probably pick up an Olympia for the bars soon. Right now I'm running a Duo on the helmet and a Niterider MiNewt 600 on the bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok, guys. I'm coming back from a 4 year night riding heitus and need to get a new light. I got my Light and Motion ARC HID out tonight and the batter will charge but the light won't fire up. I suspect it is the bulb which is $150 so that's a non-starter.

That is all to say for someone used to the 585 Lumen L&M Arc how is the Duo going to compare? I used to do 12 and 24 Hour races with the Arc and was always within a minute or 2 of my daytime laps so the light output was plenty.

I have read everyone's comments about "throw" and I can relate to almost outrunning my light but we are talking about double the light output of an Arc so I question if optics and throw will really be an issue.

I spoke to Jim today and he really sold me on the Duo but in reading this thread (yes all 8 pages) I'm wondering if the Xera is the better single light. Oh yeah, I don't want a bar mounted light at all. I prefer a single helmet mounted light.

Any tips from the regulars here?
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi View Post
    ...I spoke to Jim today and he really sold me on the Duo but in reading this thread (yes all 8 pages) I'm wondering if the Xera is the better single light. Oh yeah, I don't want a bar mounted light at all. I prefer a single helmet mounted light.

Any tips from the regulars here?
    While some have reported that the Xera has more throw than the Duo, to my eyes the Duo has as much, or a bit more throw with a wider beam. I would pick the Duo if I was only going to use one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you are gonna use only one light on the helmet...I'd go w/ Jim suggestion. The Duo will give you enough flood and throw.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the input. Has there been a thread about the Duo vs the Gloworm X2? I'm between those 2 systems and I keep coming back to the Gloworm because of the mount.

1400 lumens vs 1200 Lumens. Whats the real world comparison? Noticable?
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Has there been a thread about the Duo vs the Gloworm X2? I'm between those 2 systems and I keep coming back to the Gloworm because of the mount.

i have been doing the same for a few days trying to decide between the X2 and and Duo for a helmet light. one thing is that i didnt see a 2 cell battery or the extra spot lense availble on the action led site. besides the mount of the x2 i also like that their battery has an indicator.
    would appreciate any comments from someone who has tried both?

thanks
    Neveo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by neveo View Post
    i have been doing the same for a few days trying to decide between the X2 and and Duo for a helmet light. one thing is that i didnt see a 2 cell battery or the extra spot lense availble on the action led site. besides the mount of the x2 i also like that their battery has an indicator.
    would appreciate any comments from someone who has tried both?

thanks
    Neveo
    I've quizzed Jim for a good bit this afternoon. The Gemini 2 Cell battery is compatible with the X2 so there is your 2cell option. After speaking to Jim he has me pointed to the Gemini Duo. He indicated the replacement lenses were in the works so hopefully that becomes a reality. I'm not sold on the remote switch on the X2 as a standard but really do like their helmet mount design.
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

just a Newbie

The 200 lumens difference is not so important in terms of brightness but more so in terms of beam pattern and how the beam pattern will untilize the 200 lumens difference. So far there has not been any direct beamshot comparison between the two brand. That being said, it is a tough desicion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just compared the Duo to Xera tonight, the Duo has much wider seamless spread. Almost as much throw as the Xera with spot lens, but I do not like the Xera with spot lens installed. Pattern not smooth to my eye. The more I use the Duo the more I like it, I may get the X2 now and go head to head with Duo.

One more note, Xera is better than my Clone Magicshine 808e more throw and wider spread.
    Last edited by dgw7000; 11-13-2012 at 09:24 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've quizzed Jim for a good bit this afternoon. The Gemini 2 Cell battery is compatible with the X2 so there is your 2cell option. After speaking to Jim he has me pointed to the Gemini Duo. He indicated the replacement lenses were in the works so hopefully that becomes a reality. I'm not sold on the remote switch on the X2 as a standard but really do like their helmet mount design.
    Funny I quizzed Jim as well today and after talking to him I decided to go with the Duo so I have one on the way. If I didn't already have the XERAs I might have gone with the X2 but I've been using the XERAs for a year now and I like the quality of the light and battery. I'm assuming that will carry over to the Duo. One other thing that I like about the Duo is the ability to program your three power levels to whatever you want them to be. For example on my XERA low-med-high is 30%-70%-100%. The X2 comes with a variety of preprogrammed power levels but I like the ability to tweak it like I need it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhymel View Post
    Funny I quizzed Jim as well today and after talking to him I decided to go with the Duo so I have one on the way. If I didn't already have the XERAs I might have gone with the X2 but I've been using the XERAs for a year now and I like the quality of the light and battery. I'm assuming that will carry over to the Duo. One other thing that I like about the Duo is the ability to program your three power levels to whatever you want them to be. For example on my XERA low-med-high is 30%-70%-100%. The X2 comes with a variety of preprogrammed power levels but I like the ability to tweak it like I need it.
    Would have loved them except that they would not use much of the Geoman batteries. I guess the new Duo is OK but :???/
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Would have loved them except that they would not use much of the Geoman batteries. I guess the new Duo is OK but :???/
    Well are you faulting the light because the Geo batteries were made to be too safe?. I would think most two-led set ups have the potential to run into this issue if the draw is too much. I've used the Geo batteries for my XERAs for a year and I normally get 3.25 - 3.5 hours of runtime on high for one light head. This past week I've been experimenting with two running from one Geo. When I run both XERAs on high I get about 30 minutes before the battery indicators turn red. If I run them on a medium level I can get more time.

I have yet to do a complete run down test since I've only tested this config on actual rides and along with this I'm testing another new light on the helmet. Too many "new" items/configs in the mix and I don't want to be left in the dark on a ride, so I have yet to push the config to cutoff.

While there has been reports of the Geo batteries not running completely out, there are also some reports of them working fine on the Duo New Gemini light? the Duo?

Master of None
    Been loving the light the past couple weeks. It's on my helmet, and has good brightness, and very light. I've been toying with the idea of replacing just one of the lenses with a more spot beam; anyone know of something suitable?

The other night I did a particularly wet night ride, and while looking at the light I saw something funny on the lens. Turns out it was inside, as a teaspoon of water got inside the light. The two screws were tight when I removed them, and the gasket looked intact. I'll put a bit of silicone on the gasket when I put it back together after it's dried out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Was loving my duo until the other night. Was out on a night build here on the shore when all of a sudden the light turned off. It was on the med setting and had been on for about 2hrs. Thank god I was with another gnome and had a spare light to get out of the woods. When I got out I turned the duo back on and it had less light than a candle. Went home charged it up, reset the light and same issue ... candles worth of light. Anyone else had any issues? Is the unit dead? Anything I can do?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppaj View Post
    Was loving my duo until the other night. Was out on a night build here on the shore when all of a sudden the light turned off. It was on the med setting and had been on for about 2hrs. Thank god I was with another gnome and had a spare light to get out of the woods. When I got out I turned the duo back on and it had less light than a candle. Went home charged it up, reset the light and same issue ... candles worth of light. Anyone else had any issues? Is the unit dead? Anything I can do?
    Poppaj,

You can get a hold of us or Gemini and we'll get a new light head set out to you right away.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhymel View Post
    Well are you faulting the light because the Geo batteries were made to be too safe?. I would think most two-led set ups have the potential to run into this issue if the draw is too much. I've used the Geo batteries for my XERAs for a year and I normally get 3.25 - 3.5 hours of runtime on high for one light head. This past week I've been experimenting with two running from one Geo. When I run both XERAs on high I get about 30 minutes before the battery indicators turn red. If I run them on a medium level I can get more time.

I have yet to do a complete run down test since I've only tested this config on actual rides and along with this I'm testing another new light on the helmet. Too many "new" items/configs in the mix and I don't want to be left in the dark on a ride, so I have yet to push the config to cutoff.

While there has been reports of the Geo batteries not running completely out, there are also some reports of them working fine on the Duo New Gemini light? the Duo?
    Actually, it was the xera that wasn't working - they would go into some sort of pulsing low battery mode when there was plenty of "juice" left. The battery never shut down. Been watching the Duo and not sure if it will work better with them. :frustrated:
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Just wanted to post an update on the Duo after using it several times on the trails.

In short, it's been 95% perfect with just one actual problem, and one minor nag:

Problem: Rear light never changes color to indicate battery level. It stays on green until the light shuts off. I know I'm good for 1.5 hours on high with the 2-cell, but it's not working as advertised.

Nag: As others have mentioned, the lack of an optic/reflector for greater throw. For most of my riding which is singletrack it's not necessary. However, I could see on a super fast gravel road descent that I might want more distance. Just to have the option would be nice.

Other than those two items, the light has worked amazingly well and truly lights up the night. I could easily ride with just this light on the helmet. It throws just as far as the MJ808e, but with a nice smooth pattern, no hot spot, and a LOT of spill. I've paired the Duo on my helmet with an MJ-872 on the bars which has been a great combination. On high it's totally overkill for anything but the fast descents. For climbing I like both set on 60% output which is more than enough, but gives a long run time. The two beams compliment each other well, since they both are smooth patterns with no discernible hot spots. From the front tire to about 80 yards out I have a completely illuminated trail.

I also like the ability to program in the 3 light brightness settings on the Duo. I found the stock settings (20/60/100) to be fine, but IMHO the 20% isn't very usable on the trail. Good for work around the house, camping, or walking/running but I really don't use it for those purposes. I changed the lowest setting to 40%, which is perfect for slower speed on the trail and gives a runtime of 6.75 hours on the 2-cell. Battery life has seemed very close to what is advertised, although I've yet to do an actual measured run-down test.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Strange on the not changing colors. My Duo changed with both my 2 cell batteries when doing the run time tests. Of course I can't see it on my helmet to know what it's doing. 90% of the time I run it in the mid 60% setting along with my 856 (the 872 clone in finned housing) in the #2 setting and I'm good. Near the very end of a ride I'll just blast everything for fun.

I've had no issues with my Duo but a girl I ride with got one and had to send it back after it failed on her first ride and there's been some other reported issues also in these threads. Action LED has been outstanding in all these cases but maybe Gemini needs to watch the QC a bit better.....and yes a spot option would be nice to have/try.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I do like the Duo on the helmet, but have not tried it yet on the bars. The Duo on last Monday night 2.2 hour ride with my favorite battery Magicshine MJ-6030 5600mAh lasted the entire ride on high.
    I also like the cover the battery comes with neoprene so it pulls nice and tight, also has Samsung cells.

I just pulled the trigger on a Trail Torch TT1800. The company has not had any comebacks or returns, made in the USA, PA. I have a feeling this will be my best light!! This will be my dedicated helmet light, I bought it without the battery to save some money, so I will need to install a Magicshine plug to the light inorder to use all my MJ 6030 battery packs. The Duo may make a good handlebar light!!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast