Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Mtbr review is here.

Gemini Duo – 2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

The only thing missing is a video review of me talking about the light.

fc

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab View Post
    Been loving the light the past couple weeks. It's on my helmet, and has good brightness, and very light. I've been toying with the idea of replacing just one of the lenses with a more spot beam; anyone know of something suitable?

The other night I did a particularly wet night ride, and while looking at the light I saw something funny on the lens. Turns out it was inside, as a teaspoon of water got inside the light. The two screws were tight when I removed them, and the gasket looked intact. I'll put a bit of silicone on the gasket when I put it back together after it's dried out.
    Follow up: I tried another lens (Ledil FA10661) and it had pretty much the same spot size when viewed close, but it was certainly brighter when viewed far away. This lens is the same diameter, but unfortunately longer. Maybe the added length makes it more efficient.

I put the light back together with the original lenses and I noticed something with the sealing. There is one gasket that seals the lenses from the front, but there also needs to be a gasket that seals the part that holds the lenses in to the body. There wasn't one, so I used a bit of silicone around the outside in the small gap. This was the source of my water intrusion.

Is this a design problem? Or is my light missing this second gasket?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1 View Post
    I bought a Duo two weeks ago from Action because of all the good reviews here. When the light came, there was something loose in the light head. It sounded like a little screw was bouncing around in the light head. Anyway, I emailed Action and with no questions asked, Jim dropped a new head in the mail the same day. He instructed me to drop my Duo head back in the shipping tube and affix the prepaid shipping label once I received the new one. Jim even said to use my original Duo if I needed. Thursday my new Duo head showed up but I didn't use it yet. It doesn't have any loose objects inside and powers up as it should.

Great service and fast shipping from Action. Glad to see some companies still treat the customer so well.
    I've had the chance to use my light a couple times. I mount it on my helmet and it throws enough light for my ride. I haven't even messed with my old light which I was going to put on my bars. The Duo is compact and exactly what I want for a helmet light. It may not throw a huge spot but it works great for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab View Post
    ...There is one gasket that seals the lenses from the front, but there also needs to be a gasket that seals the part that holds the lenses in to the body. There wasn't one, so I used a bit of silicone around the outside in the small gap. This was the source of my water intrusion.

Is this a design problem? Or is my light missing this second gasket?
    Mine only has gaskets on the lenses and not between the light body and bezel. It seems not to meet the advertised "designed to withstand the most extreme conditions including rain...".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Mine only has gaskets on the lenses and not between the light body and bezel. It seems not to meet the advertised "designed to withstand the most extreme conditions including rain...".

Hum!!! this has got me worried was there supposed to be a gasket in there and it was left out, or a design flaw. and whats the best fix.....
    Maybe Gemini can shed some light on this. That said I love my Duo and wouldn't trade it for anything. Now get us a spot lens PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    ...was there supposed to be a gasket in there and it was left out, or a design flaw. and whats the best fix...
    I'd call it a design omission. There doesn't appear to be any provisions made for a gasket.

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005

Love it

Purchased the Gemini Duo last weekend from Action LED Lights after researching here on mtbr and also after finding out the replacement battery for my aging Light & Motion ARC setup was $220!!!

The new Duo is everything I'd hoped it would be. It is so much brighter than the ARC that I only ran the Duo on 60% power on first 2+ hour night ride. I couldn't believe how much brighter and more usable the light from this little beauty is. I only run one light (helmet mount) and I didn't really understand when people were talking about 'riding at night as fast as they do during the day'. Well, now I understand.

I hope that this thing has the longevity and lasts for several years, because my first impression is great.

mtbr member
    BTW, just did a rundown test with a DUO and a GEOMANGEAR 4.5Ah pack and got about 2 hours, which is great. No issues with low voltage, etc like with the Xeras I had. Can't wait to try it on trail.

ALSO, I have some more spotty optics to try in this bad boy. Some of you have complained about the lenses they used being a bit floody. I'll report after I try them out.

Ok did a 3 hour rundown test with Geoman 6.0 batterys had to stop to recharge so I could use the batteries tonight.
    Olympia on high at 100 min started flashing red and powered dimmed I shut it down and unplugged and replugged to reset and was able to get another 60 minutes at 60% setting which is more than enough light for most trails. at 3 hours it was still running at its dimmed setting.
    Duo at 3 hours it was still running strong on high. battery meter was showing red.
    I have noticed with Geomans batteries no power meter on any of my lights were accurate so I'm sure you could easily get another half hour out of it...
    so if you want to use Geoman batteries with an Olympia when it dims down just unplug to reset and run it at no more than half power to get the most out of these batteries...,
    and I see zero issues using them with the DUO

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    So can anyone tell me why this lens wont work to make this light a spotlight it has the same Dimensions of the existing lens 20mm x 11mm but at 5 degrees instead of 15 degrees.?
    5pcs 5 Deg 20mm Lens Reflector Collimator 1W 3W 5W LED | eBay
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So can anyone tell me why this lens wont work to make this light a spotlight it has the same Dimensions of the existing lens 20mm x 11mm but at 5 degrees instead of 15 degrees.?
    It doesn't state in the listing what LED this optic is designed for. That may change the beam angle or possibly cause it to not fit over the LED dome.

They look very similar to the LEDDNA optic less the optic mount. Those are made for an XML but need the optic mount to space the LED dome to the proper depth in most applications.

They're cheap. Buy a pack and give 'em a try.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cat-man-do View Post
    the duo and gloworm x2 look like a piko clone.
    fixed
    :d
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    "Man-- im stuck between the duo and the gloworm...
    Same here. If anyone ends up with both the Duo and the Gloworm I'd love to know how they compare."

Anyone have the answer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    Same here. If anyone ends up with both the Duo and the Gloworm I'd love to know how they compare."

Anyone have the answer?
    Some position as few months ago. I went Gloworm. It seemed to edge out the Duo in tests/real specs and I much preferred the mount system. Not disappointed, it is excellent product.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Some position as few months ago. I went Gloworm. It seemed to edge out the Duo in tests/real specs and I much preferred the mount system. Not disappointed, it is excellent product.
    Any problems with the remote switch? I plan on using this as a helmet light with nothing on the bars. How are you using it?

mtbr member

Anyone have the answer?
    Both have nice features. All things considered, I like the mounting options/adjustability of the Gloworm. I also love the fact that it has a wired remote.

Gloworm is about to release it's new version of the X2 as well as some other newer options. At least that is what I've been told. While I don't have details I think it safe to say an X2 with XM-L2 emitters is forthcoming. Not sure but it might also contain a new UI. Expect to see the new stuff sometime after Interbike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Any problems with the remote switch? I plan on using this as a helmet light with nothing on the bars. How are you using it?
    I went dual glowworm setup: X1 helmet / X2 bars. (awesome) no problems with remote switch, I made sure my helmet was nice and clean before affixing the velcro piece so it would adhere well. All has been great, the wired remote has never failed me.

Listen to Cat... best to see what comes of interbike before any purchase at this point. Not only if for new product enhancements, but cost of old product may drop a bit too. (just speculating)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the info. It's been this long, I guess I can wait a few weeks to order it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I went dual glowworm setup: X1 helmet / X2 bars. (awesome) no problems with remote switch, I made sure my helmet was nice and clean before affixing the velcro piece so it would adhere well. All has been great, the wired remote has never failed me.

Listen to Cat... best to see what comes of interbike before any purchase at this point. Not only if for new product enhancements, but cost of old product may drop a bit too. (just speculating)
    ....I'm also hoping that there will be an advance pre-order option as there was with the other versions since the new ones will likely be more expensive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Both have nice features. All things considered, I like the mounting options/adjustability of the Gloworm. I also love the fact that it has a wired remote.

Gloworm is about to release it's new version of the X2 as well as some other newer options. At least that is what I've been told. While I don't have details I think it safe to say an X2 with XM-L2 emitters is forthcoming. Not sure but it might also contain a new UI. Expect to see the new stuff sometime after Interbike.
    I think Gloworm may be pulling away on this one. I have the Duo and really like it however the mounting goes to the Gloworm for my taste. As well,,, I spoke to Gemini a couple of weeks ago inquiring about the new XM-L2's and was told there was nothing in the works, if true I would give the nod all the way to the Gloworm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just received an email from Chris at Gemini. Despite an earlier email from one of Gemini's staff stating there was nothing in the works Chris has confirmed with me that all products will be coming out shortly with the XM-L2 emitters.

- The Xera will now be 950lumens
    - The Duo 1500 lumens
    - The Olympia 2100 lumens

price nor any changes to the UI were mentioned yet. Hopefully Gemini's lumen claims this year will be a little more accurate to what is OTF than last years models. They have sent their products already to Francois for testing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Just received an email from Chris at Gemini. Despite an earlier email from one of Gemini's staff stating there was nothing in the works Chris has confirmed with me that all products will be coming out shortly with the XM-L2 emitters.
    Don't know the technology, so could you please explain what this means and how it will improve the existing models.

Action LED Lights
    Don't know the technology, so could you please explain what this means and how it will improve the existing models.
    The XM-L2 is the latest generation of LED from CREE. With the same power input as the previous version (the XM-L), it produces more light and less heat. CREE is constantly working to improve the efficiency of there LED and a new version seems to come out about every 6-9 months.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Light freak
    Yep, Cree released the XM-L2 last December. Should be about time for a new release

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Yep, Cree released the XM-L2 last December. Should be about time for a new release

It could be.

They announced it last December, but it wasn't commercially available until a few months ago
    Last edited by Action LED Lights; 09-25-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, really hoping the lumen outputs are closer to claimed with the new Gemini lights. Sad story, we live in Oklahoma. I was in Tulsa at the Cancer Treatment Center with my little brother, when a round of tornadoes hit central Ok. My wife was in Norman. She lost all power so jumped in the car to head to a friends house and hole up in their shelter. She grabbed her Xera; it was on the headband with a 4-cell battery attached to the back. Late that night a looter broke into the car and ripped off the light, car stereo, amp and paperwork for her job. People suck.

She misses the Xera and has used the Olympia on the helmet alone. She really dug the Olympia on bars/Xera on helmet setup. She'll be even happier with a brighter Xera on the lid, assuming it can get close to 950 lumens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry to hear about the looting TCW, sounds like you have enough on your plate never mind having to deal with some scumbag ripping you off. Yeh I think Gemini knows they may have been a little over optimistic last year,, hopefully they are more in tune with their claims this year.

On a different note,,,,,, I just got back from the first night ride of the season,, i'm still buzzing,,,,,, hope I can sleep!!! Wow night riding is just awesome!!! Cheers!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yup, 2 night rides now under my belt and also on my new Banshee Spitfire V2 650b. for both!!

Still loving my Duo and MS856 combo but since I haven't been following the lighting threads I was wondering if Gemini (or Action LED) ever got around to making a more focused optic or reflector for the Duo? Would like to see a bit more throw if possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    I was wondering if Gemini (or Action LED) ever got around to making a more focused optic or reflector for the Duo? Would like to see a bit more throw if possible.
    That would be a "No" for now. We'll see what happens with the new models coming out. But if you're looking for more throw, I would recommend looking at Gloworm's X1.
    "By Your Command"

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    That would be a "No" for now. We'll see what happens with the new models coming out. But if you're looking for more throw, I would recommend looking at Gloworm's X1.
    The Duo would really benefit from tighter optics for us using it on the helmet. I know the lumens were higher but I perceived the output of the Xera being higher when used with the Olympia on the bars since it seemed to punch through a little better. Since I have to replace my wife's Xera anyway I might just give the GW X1 a try. I trust their lumen claims more anyway due to last year's shootout. I really like the adjustable light settings of the Gemini lights but would probably like GW's program features as well. So many decisions....

mtbr member
    Any idea when the new lights are coming out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    Any idea when the new lights are coming out?

Chris was saying if you ordered from Gemini's website now, customers would be sent the new product direct from China, not sure how long that would take. Other wise a few more weeks till Action and everyone else has stock.

mtbr member
    Wow that's cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Chris was saying if you ordered from Gemini's website now, customers would be sent the new product direct from China, not sure how long that would take. Other wise a few more weeks till Action and everyone else has stock.
    Yes they will ship out the lights with the new leds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I literally just bought an Olympia setup ($330) in BC and it said 1700 lumens upgraded to 1800 lumens and Dunbar Cycle on the previous has 2100 Gemini Olympia setup on sale for $239. Did I just buy last years model??

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I needed one asap. Just bought the old duo model today! The sale price was only 7 dollars cheaper than this new one! Had no idea that they were out already...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt-nerd View Post
    I literally just bought an Olympia setup ($330) in BC and it said 1700 lumens upgraded to 1800 lumens and Dunbar Cycle on the previous has 2100 Gemini Olympia setup on sale for $239. Did I just buy last years model??
    Yes. The new model are rated at more lumens due to the new cree led. Gemini is already shipping them out with the new led.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernstyle101 View Post
    The new ones are in stock here (link removed)
    Northernsyyle101, If your part of Dunbar cycles you need to identify yourself as such. (registered yesterday and this was your first post so it seems like you are)
    Last edited by Action LED Lights; 10-17-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Does smell a bit Spammy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New Gemini light? the Duo?

Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Yes. The new model are rated at more lumens due to the new cree led. Gemini is already shipping them out with the new led.
    Thanks- returned 1800 & ordered the 2100 Olympia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Action-LED is the only place I will deal with. There service is second to none. If you ever have a problem they stand behind what they sell and ship out next day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Action-LED is the only place I will deal with. There service is second to none. If you ever have a problem they stand behind what they sell and ship out next day.
    Agreed. Jim is top notch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Agreed. Jim is top notch.
    You are so right. I talked with Jim a few times before ordering my light from him. He was great, spent the time I needed answering all my questions and saved me money on top of it.
    Last edited by bobkorn; 10-16-2013 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    I just bought the Duo from Dunbar yesterday (will likely receive it tomorrow); is there a chance that it will be an older model rather than the latest & greatest?
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Technician View Post
    I just bought the Duo from Dunbar yesterday (will likely receive it tomorrow); is there a chance that it will be an older model rather than the latest & greatest?
    It appears to be the latest version with 1500 lumens and the new xml 2 cree leds. Did you order with 2cell or 4cell? They are killer lights.

mtbr member
    It appears to be the latest version with 1500 lumens and the new xml 2 cree leds. Did you order with 2cell or 4cell? They are killer lights.

Giddy Up!

Name:  giddy up.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  12.4 KB

4 cell battery.
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Technician View Post

4 cell battery.
    Sweet, good run times.

mtbr member
    I just ordered 2013 Gemini Duo and Olympia from Action LED. Deals were to good to pass up. The lights will be used in primarily only in the winter and did not think the extra lumins of the 2014 gear justified the extra cost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just ordered the Gemini Duo and as everyone loving it! Looking to order a spare battery pack from Amazon as a spare. Would this battery fit the Duo ?

Replacement 8.4V 6600mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack for Headlamp & Bicycle Light

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    Should work. If it's a true 6600mah you should get close to 4 hours of runtime on high (100%).

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    Just ordered the Gemini Duo and as everyone loving it! Looking to order a spare battery pack from Amazon as a spare. Would this battery fit the Duo ?

There's no guaranty the connector is the same since they don't state the size. (you need a 5.5 x 2.1mm)
    The run times they're stating are pretty poor (3-4 hour for a single led light) I'd say there's a good chance you would be throwing your money away.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast