Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    That looks pretty sweet. I would get one but I'm not buying any light stuff until I finish building up a frame and fork I recently bought (SC Heckler/RS Revelation). Maybe I'll get next year's duo.

I'm anxious to hear how it works. I love my Xera and Olympia.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I'd like to know how well it works with a geomangear pack. My Xera's didn't co-operate with the voltage cutoff and would shut down or flash after just have the pack was used. Maybe the Duo doesn't do that?
    I wouldn't get my hopes up. I had 2 geoman 6.0 batteries that did the same thing with my Xera and Olympia. You can use up more of the batteries capacity if you set the power output of the light down but I don't think you'll ever use all the battery capacity like you can with a magicshine lighthead.

USPS tracking info says I should get my Duo today. Time permitting I'll take it out with my Xera/Olympia and see how they all compare.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Hmmm, well let us know Mr. Mole. I might try the glow worm because of that issue.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I wouldn't get my hopes up. I had 2 geoman 6.0 batteries that did the same thing with my Xera and Olympia. You can use up more of the batteries capacity if you set the power output of the light down but I don't think you'll ever use all the battery capacity like you can with a magicshine lighthead.

USPS tracking info says I should get my Duo today. Time permitting I'll take it out with my Xera/Olympia and see how they all compare.
    Mole
    Ive been running my Olympia on Geoman 6.0s and haven't experienced any issues. But my rides are usually around hour and a half. and only run it on high for downhills . I'm going to do a fan rundown test right now just to check....
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Ive been running my Olympia on Geoman 6.0s and haven't experienced any issues. But my rides are usually around hour and a half. and only run it on high for downhills . I'm going to do a fan rundown test right now just to check....
    I looked up one of my old posts on the Olympia thread where I got 1.5 hours of runtime on high which would explain why you never noticed any issues on your rides. I hooked up an 808e lighthead to the same battery after the Olympia shut down and it ran another hour and fourty minutes. I think doing a rundown test on your equipment is an excellent idea just to know where you stand. You'd probably be able to get home on a lower power level but it might ruin your downhill run.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Ok did a 3 hour rundown test with Geoman 6.0 batterys had to stop to recharge so I could use the batteries tonight.
    Olympia on high at 100 min started flashing red and powered dimmed I shut it down and unplugged and replugged to reset and was able to get another 60 minutes at 60% setting which is more than enough light for most trails. at 3 hours it was still running at its dimmed setting.
    Duo at 3 hours it was still running strong on high. battery meter was showing red.
    I have noticed with Geomans batteries no power meter on any of my lights were accurate so I'm sure you could easily get another half hour out of it...
    so if you want to use Geoman batteries with an Olympia when it dims down just unplug to reset and run it at no more than half power to get the most out of these batteries...,
    and I see zero issues using them with the DUO

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Last edited by Rakuman; 10-15-2012 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I hooked up an 808e lighthead to the same battery after the Olympia shut down and it ran another hour and fourty minutes.
    Mole
    The ticket seems to be not to overload the circuit when it starts to get low after reseting it if I turned it to high it would trigger a dim down and redflash but at 60% it was fine:

mtbr member
    That's actually good news - you have issues with the same lights we had but not with the Duo. I'm tempted...
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hmmm, well let us know Mr. Mole. I might try the glow worm because of that issue.
    If I get my light today I want to take it out for a test. I'll be glad to do a rundown test with the Goeman battery for you but I hope tomorrow is OK.
    Mole

mtbr member
    If I get my light today I want to take it out for a test. I'll be glad to do a rundown test with the Goeman battery for you but I hope tomorrow is OK.
    Mole
    No rush for me!
    "It looks flexy"

Rider
    Used mine tonight for a quick ride. It's REAL nice. Used the headband. Spot is good....not super concentrated, but not washed out either. I think it will work great for me. Thanks to Jim at Action!

Edit: Oh yeah, I also used the headband mount to finish mowing the yard tonight. LOL.
    Last edited by herrhaus; 10-16-2012 at 07:29 AM.
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No time for a ride tonight, but I got to play a bit in the woods with the DUO and my XERA (spot lens).

My first impression is the DUO has a bit more throw than the XERA with a wider beam and not much light wasted on side spill.

I had hoped it would work well for me as either a helmet light with a MS-872 on the bar or as a bar light with the XERA on my helmet.

I think it will be perfect used in either application.

Action LED Lights
    The issue is not with the light but with the battery pack that is limited in the current it can deliver. As the battery wears down the voltage drops and the current goes up. Geomangear used an overabundance of caution when specking the pack and pretty much limited them to the lights they were selling at the time. Newer high output lights top out these packs when they are far from there full capacity.
    Here is a chart showing the behavior of the Geomangear 4.5Ah battery under different loads. I'm currently doing the same test on a 6.0Ah one.
    The current draw on high of each of the lights we sell (at 100% and 7.4v) can be seen HERE

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    The issue is not with the light but with the battery pack that is limited in the current it can deliver. As the battery wears down the voltage drops and the current goes up. Geomangear used an overabundance of caution when specking the pack and pretty much limited them to the lights they were selling at the time. Newer high output lights top out these packs when they are far from there full capacity.
    Here is a chart showing the behavior of the Geomangear 4.5Ah battery under different loads. I'm currently doing the same test on a 6.0Ah one.
    The current draw on high of each of the lights we sell (at 100% and 7.4v) can be seen HERE
    You are 100 percent correct Jim. Its the battery not the light....Geomans battery while well built they are way too sensitive remember a lot of chargers wouldn't work with them. I myself have 6 of the 6.0s and depending on what light I'm using, I have to remember what the actual runtimes are rather than rely on the battery meters.
    I really dig this Duo its finally getting dark here in So Cal so time to take it for a spin...
    Last edited by Rakuman; 10-16-2012 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So if I'm understanding the charts correctly, the XERA, DUO and even the Olympia should use most of the Geoman battery's capacity while the MJ-872 can only be expected to get use of about 70% of the capacity.

Or do I need additional education? Thanks for the info Jim.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 10-15-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    So if I'm understanding the charts correctly, the XERA, DUO and even the Olympia should use most of the Geoman battery's capacity while the MJ-872 can only be expected to get about 70% of the capacity.

I do I need additional education? Thanks for the info Jim.
    The graph is capacity at constant current. What I really need is constant power which would be close the what a light pulls. In actual use the current rises as the voltage goes down. I think temperature plays a role in these pack cutting out also. (Heat created by the current)
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Got it...my interpretation is a little off. Thanks

mtbr member
    O.K. I wasn't feeling too hot after dinner so I took a quick cruise out to the orange groves to test this puppy out on some long paths with trees on both sides that gave me a good Idea how much punch it has. first impression Was Nice Really Nice!
    I paired it with my Olympia on the bars and I was afraid that the Olympia was going to drown it out, NOT! Opposite this thing has pretty good punch, I had to keep turning my Olympia on and off to make sure it was on high,, this light can throw. Its a perfect combo for the Olympia. Its going to take me a while to get used to not having a hotspot like a 808e, I took the Duo and a 808e out and pointed them both at some tree's 200 yards away the duo seemed to have more punch but with a much smoother wider pattern.
    While it looks like it is going to be a great light as is I still yearn for some spot lens.
    Nice job Gemini

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Had mine out tonight for approx 1.5 hours. Part of that was in the rain (no problems BTW) which just sucks up light but I like it....allot. Didn't mess with any programming, just put it on the helmet right out of the box. I have a MS 856 on the bars.

Xera on steroids is how I'd best describe it (I have 2 of those). Smooth beam pattern, bit wider than the Xera and a little more throw. Punch like Rakuman mentioned is a good description. I had it running on my 2 cell and kept it in the medium setting almost the entire ride. I'd cycle it to low at stops. Near the end I ran it at high and yowza, that was really impressive. Most of the rides I do are about 2 hours so I may bump the medium setting from 60% to 80% where it's supposed to run for 2 hours on the 2 cell. I'll do a run test to check. Button was still green at rides end but it stays green from 100% down to 20% before changing to amber and then red at 10%.

Nice little light and another winner I think for Gemini. Should be out again tomorrow night for another test.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Man-- im stuck between the duo and the gloworm... Is there a remote switch that can be used for the duo like the gloworm has? I like the idea of using a switch that is away from the light head so the head doesnt get bumped out of alignment each time you want to change light intensity.. The switch for the duo is that little white button in the back-- right?..

Rider
    Not to cast any bad light on the Duo (pardon the pun), but while I'm impressed with the light itself, I'm not impressed with the helmet mount. It was a bugger to get strapped onto my helmet and get it cinched down tight. I have no idea why they didn't put a loop on the strap and reverse the end of the velcro strap so that it could be cinched tight (FAIL). I ended up cutting a large portion of the velcro strap off to get it to fit onto my Specialized helmet. Other than that issue, the light is really nice.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by herrhaus View Post
    Not to cast any bad light on the Duo (pardon the pun), but while I'm impressed with the light itself, I'm not impressed with the helmet mount. It was a bugger to get strapped onto my helmet and get it cinched down tight. I have no idea why they didn't put a loop on the strap and reverse the end of the velcro strap so that it could be cinched tight (FAIL). I ended up cutting a large portion of the velcro strap off to get it to fit onto my Specialized helmet. Other than that issue, the light is really nice.
    herrhaus, the way it's set up you cinch down each side separately. I find it's best to pull the pads out of the helmet first because the straps want to stick to the pads. Pass the straps through a vent and then back up through the other slot on the mount. Then pull both sides tight together and stick them down.
    Though it shows a MS helmet mount these instructions illustrate the idea. HELMET MOUNT INST.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by herrhaus View Post
    ...I ended up cutting a large portion of the velcro strap off...
    ...Though it shows a MS helmet mount these instructions illustrate the idea. HELMET MOUNT INST.
    Opps! You may have cut a little too quickly

Rider
    Thanks Jim. I did remove the pads inside the helmet. I fussed and fiddled with it last night for 1/2 hour before I ended up cutting the straps down (I cut about 2" off each side)...it's on there now...and it's tight. So, I'm all set. While I may be an engineer....for some reason, I couldn't figure that out last night. Oh well. Like I said, it's there now and it's tight, so I'm all set. And, the straps don't block the vents either.

Thursday, I'm planning a 2+ hour night ride, so, it will get tested out at that point.
    Last edited by herrhaus; 10-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that info! I always figured the runtime on my 872 was due to the higher cutoff built into those Geoman packs. So if I'm reading the charts right, the 872 pulls 2.2A and cuts off with about 1000mah still in the pack? I'm actually using the 6.0Ah pack with the 872, but I'm assuming it's the same circuitry.

To get back on topic, how does the Duo compare in throw distance to the MJ808e?
    "Got everything you need?"

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast