Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I just tried to order a duo lighthead only and it says sold out WTF??? come on Action I kind of doubt you are already sold out.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 09-26-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    I just tried to order a duo lighthead only and it says sold old WTF??? come on Action I kind of doubt you are already sold out.
    I'm not quite sure why the website is giving that message. I'll look into it tomorrow. The real situation is that they have not yet arrived. Gemini has not yet promised me a ship date. I'll keep you informed.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    I'm not quite sure why the website is giving that message. I'll look into it tomorrow. The real situation is that they have not yet arrived. Gemini has not yet promised me a ship date. I'll keep you informed.
    Great Thanks I'm definitely planning a on getting one of these so let us know when they will be available.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is the Duo going to have optic options?
    Mole

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Hi Mole,

We have a few optics options at the moment, but none that really blows our mind. We will be sticking with the current optic we are using as these produce the best beams. Take a look at our beam shot page.

mtbr member
    looking at your beamshots it looks like you are getting as much throw as the Xera with a reflector but Dang that puppy is blinding

mtbr member
    The Duo looks like I nice lamp. From what I could tell from the beam shot the output/beam pattern looks very much like the Gloworm X2.. no surprise there I suppose.
    To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they were both using the same optic. Too bad there isn't a good sub-10 optic. ( or maybe there is? ) Something like that might create more forward throw and a more intense hot spot for helmet use.

Rakuman, Keep the faith guy. We'll find the perfect helmet light one day. For the time being I still think you're going to have a hard time finding something that can compliment your Olympia. With something as bright as the Olympia you don't need any more flood, you need super throw.

In keeping with that thought, someone might try designing a helmet lamp around the new XPE-2's. A three or four emitter set-up ( with the right sized reflector ) could possible yield a lamp small enough for the helmet yet still throw an intense spot.. Kaidoman has a 3-up XPG R5 ( below ) that might be interesting if it is a thrower. If it was maybe convert it to XPE-2 and make it a super thrower...ideas, ideas...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Lights View Post
    Hi Mole,

We have a few optics options at the moment, but none that really blows our mind. We will be sticking with the current optic we are using as these produce the best beams. Take a look at our beam shot page.
    I'm a little confused. In the "whats in the box" section of your Due web page it says "standard plus narrow optic". I didn't seen any beam shots so I guess it is a typo but I'm hopeing it's not.
    Mole

Yukon Rider

Yukon winter

Great thread and good solid info as i just ordered my Duo with 4 cell from Gemini as a helmet lite for winter riding on my Salsa BG. I will start with this and see what I might add down the road as I was close to ordering something like their Olympia. Would love to hear more from the folks at Gemini as to what to watch for in the very near future with respect to inter changing lenses? I was led to believe that there were 2 different ones coming with my Duo?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I'm a little confused. In the "whats in the box" section of your Due web page it says "standard plus narrow optic". I didn't seen any beam shots so I guess it is a typo but I'm hopeing it's not.
    Mole
    My guess is the Duo listing started with a copy and paste from the Xera and that got missed in the editing process.
    It's been corrected.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Gemini I am on the fence right now Ive spent some time looking at your Beamshots, you used to have comparisan shot of a 808E and an Xera That link is dead now, If I remember right the Xera was brighter than and almost had as much punch as the 808e. That is the light I compare all other helmet lights to at the moment. Could you re post that comparison with the 808E again? it would go a long ways for me to decide if this light is Helmet suitable.

Action LED Lights
    Rakuman,
    I can tell you this much. The XERA with the spot optic has more throw than the MJ-808E. The shots you saw previously were with the stock optic. Not to mention it is only half the size and weight of the MJ-808E.
    The new DUO weights only slightly more (63g vs 52g) and should have about the same throw as the XERA but more spread with it's 15 degree optics.
    Remember too that the driver circuit in all Gemini light is very efficient, giving you more run-time for a given amount of battery. The benefit of using 2 XML's lightly driven really shows up if you look at the stated run times of the XERA at 850 lumens vs the DUO turned down to 60% (840 lumens). It's 540 minutes vs 240 minutes. (I can't wait to test this myself)
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Rakuman,
    I can tell you this much. The XERA with the spot optic has more throw than the MJ-808E. The shots you saw previously were with the stock optic.
    That's exactly why I want to see that comparison shot the throw on the stock Xera at 16 degrees should be real close to what the Duo can produce at 15 degrees but brighter. and if the 16 degree Xera has more punch than the 808E the duo would blow the 808E away, please post that 808 picture if you have it.
    As Cat-man-do earlier commented we here are looking for a perfect helmet light, Personally I think the Olympia has the bars covered hands down and Ive tried a lot of lights

Yukon Rider
    For those bar mounting the Olympia how do you think the Duo will compliment this? I am wondering how many of you have experience with snow bounce with bar and head mounted lights tested? Are 2 lights overkill?
    Also any thoughts on actual battery life? I just spoke to a fellow here in Whitehorse using a Magicshine and his battery crapped out after less then 1 year use? How are the Gemini batteries holding up? thx

just a Newbie
    That's exactly why I want to see that comparison shot the throw on the stock Xera at 16 degrees should be real close to what the Duo can produce at 15 degrees but brighter. and if the 16 degree Xera has more punch than the 808E the duo would blow the 808E away, please post that 808 picture if you have it.
    As Cat-man-do earlier commented we here are looking for a perfect helmet light, Personally I think the Olympia has the bars covered hands down and Ive tried a lot of lights
    Rakuman, I do have my beamshot of the Xera with the standard 16 degree optic(so call standard back then), reflector and the 14 degree optic that was so call the prototype back when it first came out. The beamshot is in the same park that I use for all my beamshot. I think I also have the MS 808E XML taken at the same time when I did the test for the 14 degree (prototype) optic that was sent to me for testing. If interested, I can located that folder and link some photo if you desired.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=Action LED Lights; The benefit of using 2 XML's lightly driven really shows up if you look at the stated run times of the XERA at 850 lumens vs the DUO turned down to 60% (840 lumens). It's 540 minutes vs 240 minutes. (I can't wait to test this myself)[/QUOTE]

Hi Jim,
    I noticed a typo on the runtime minutes for the Duo. Instead of 540 min. it should be 340 min., which is still about 30% more efficient than the Xera if Gemini is accurate with their 10% step power settings and runtimes.

Do you know if the Due has a seperate optic for each emitter or is it one big optic like the Olympia?

Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    Rakuman, I do have my beamshot of the Xera with the standard 16 degree optic(so call standard back then), reflector and the 14 degree optic that was so call the prototype back when it first came out. The beamshot is in the same park that I use for all my beamshot. I think I also have the MS 808E XML taken at the same time when I did the test for the 14 degree (prototype) optic that was sent to me for testing. If interested, I can located that folder and link some photo if you desired.

That would be Great !
    Thanks

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Hi Rakuman.

We've made a special page on our website for you. It won't be available to the general public through our menus but only through the link found here on MTBR. We like using our web gallery to compare beam shots rather than making animated GIFs.. because you lose a lot of the shot quality through GIFs. So we apologize that you can't see the beam shots here on MTBR, but just click the link below to view the comparison.

Also we took it one step further and compared the DUO to the MJ-880 2000 lumen light. Everyone knows the MJ-880 is like two MJ-808Es put together.

Link: Gemini Lights vs Other Competitors

just a Newbie
    Rakuman, here are some beam sample I had in my old photobucket album. Please keep in mind that the title are still list the optics as standard which is the original 16 degree and the picture title as prototype are the 14 degree optics. Standard MTBR setting used. The aim point was at the tree at 200ft and about 15 to 20ft above the ground, there are soda bottle at 100ft mark.

Magicshine XML 808E:
    http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...L200ft2563.jpg

Xera with 16 degree optics (standard)
    http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...c200ft2570.jpg

Xera with 14 degree optics (prototype)
    http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...c200ft2582.jpg

More can be found in this album where they are located. Hope this help.
    Xera new 14 degree prototype optic pictures by Colleenlc - Photobucket

mtbr member
    Thanks for the beamshots Colleen and Gemini. While I don't think this is going to be a super thrower I do think it will make up for it in the smoothness and intensity in its beam.
    While Geminis path beamshots are nice and give you a representation as you are in a forest. I dont think they give a true representation of what these lights can really do. Colleens open field shots with know targets allow you to see truly how much punch a light has and its spread.
    That said Action expect a preorder from me.
    Gemini if you put a spots in this light I think you would have a hit....
    Last edited by Rakuman; 09-30-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Yukon Rider
    Unfortunately I did not know Action existed out of US and ordered DUO direct from China. It will be here mid week via TNT shipping for 12$ Cdn. Looking forward to owning a real light for this winters riding. Also posting of beam shots really helped me get a sense of what these amazing lights are capable of. thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    1400 theoretical lumens in such a small package - would be great if it was possible to provide adequate thermal management - would have to be a terribly inefficient option.
    You get either light (photons) or heat....too much heat... no light.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    While I don't think this is going to be a super thrower I do think it will make up for it in the smoothness and intensity in its beam.

This seems to work for me. I run an Olympia on the bars and switch between a Xera and an Olympia for helmet use. In most situations I prefer the Olympia but a little extra throw would be nice.

Gemini if you put a spots in this light I think you would have a hit....
    I agree 100%

Mole

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I noticed that Action-LED-Lights has a sale on duo's and other Gemini products. First time I've seen a lighthead price ($116).

I don't know how I made my last post look the way it did but the second paragraph in the quote box is actually my response to the first paragraph.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I noticed that Action-LED-Lights has a sale on duo's and other Gemini products. First time I've seen a lighthead price ($116).
    Thanks for the heads up. Think I'll pull the trigger on this for that price.

Anyone have some thoughts on how this Duo might compare to the MS 856 (872 clone in different housing).

I run the 856 on the bars with a Xera on the helmet with a 2 cell. Maybe the Duo would be better on the helmet? Thoughts
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast