Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can't stand weight on my helmet....I have a L&M Seca, at 130g, it's too heavy for me. It will go to my bars and I will run a Stella, around 80g, on the helmet with the battery in my jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I can't stand weight on my helmet....I have a L&M Seca, at 130g, it's too heavy for me. It will go to my bars and I will run a Stella, around 80g, on the helmet with the battery in my jersey.
    you could try changing the position of the light on the helmet ( you will feel the weight less if you move it more towards the back ) or just waiting until you get used to it. i have 3 lights on the helmet totaling 340 grams and i don't have a problem with it. maybe it's just a matter of preference.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    you could try changing the position of the light on the helmet ( you will feel the weight less if you move it more towards the back ) or just waiting until you get used to it. i have 3 lights on the helmet totaling 340 grams and i don't have a problem with it. maybe it's just a matter of preference.
    I'm riding some pretty rough stuff so the light is bouncing around quite a bit up there. I tried moving it further back, but my vents just won't allow the mount to sit properly.

Seca 1500 and Stella 500 on the way so I should be good to go! My current Seca 800 is brilliant as a bar light, such a wide even beam pattern.

mtbr member
    I'm riding some pretty rough stuff so the light is bouncing around quite a bit up there. I tried moving it further back, but my vents just won't allow the mount to sit properly.

Seca 1500 and Stella 500 on the way so I should be good to go! My current Seca 800 is brilliant as a bar light, such a wide even beam pattern.
    ah i see for the bumpy stuff the weight is a totally different matter.

the other night i was riding on a bike path under some trees and i saw a bunch of what looked like part of spider web hanging right in the path of my face, so i quickly moved my head to dodge it and my helmet almost flew off because of the inertia of having 3 lights on it. but before i jerked my head i didn't notice the weight at all.

so i certainly understand what you're talking about.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just tested out my new Stella and Seca so far they seem pretty good. Just did a quick shot in a dark room as it isn't night here yet. Stella is nice and compact and sits really good on the helmet and the two cell battery is nice.

Wondering if it's normal to have a different color temperature between the two lights. I know I'm probably being picky, but I thought that they would be the same? One's yellow and the other is bluer.

mtbr member
    Wondering if it's normal to have a different color temperature between the two lights. I know I'm probably being picky, but I thought that they would be the same? One's yellow and the other is bluer.
    i don't know what you mean by "normal" in this case. i have had that situation when i had a NiteRider Pro 3600 on the bar and Lupine Piko 3 on the helmet. The NR looked violet-blue and Piko looked yellow-green. I eventually returned both.

right now i have Seca 1700 on the helmet and Philips SafeRide on the bar and i don't notice any difference in color between them - both just look white to me.

it is normal for different lights to be manufactured with different color temperature because cree LEDs come with different color temperatures. on the other hand whether it is normal to ride with two lights of different color temeprature ? that's probably for you to decide. if it bothers you then it bothers you.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    it is normal for different lights to be manufactured with different color temperature because cree LEDs come with different color temperatures. on the other hand whether it is normal to ride with two lights of different color temeprature ? that's probably for you to decide. if it bothers you then it bothers you.
    I was a little surprised because both lights are 2014 L&M's so I thought they would have been from the same bin...and closer in color. I'm going out for a big ride tonight so I will see if it's noticeable enough riding.

mtbr member
    I was a little surprised because both lights are 2014 L&M's so I thought they would have been from the same bin...and closer in color. I'm going out for a big ride tonight so I will see if it's noticeable enough riding.
    well one of these lights gets 500 lumens per LED ( Stella ) while the other gets 250 lumens per LED ( Seca ) so there is no reason why they should use the same LEDs.

it is almost certainly NOT a manufacturing defect, however whether it is something acceptable for you or not is your personal preference.

should L&M have color matched their lights across different product lines from different categories ? maybe they should have. i do remember at least one website selling a Seca / Stella package deal so apparently what you're doing is not unusual.

i would certainly be surprised if for example i got a Lupine Piko and a Lupine Wilma and they weren't the same color, but of course those both use the same LEDs and nearly the same optics. should the buyer have reasonable expectation of the lights from the same maker to have the same color ? that's a good question - i have no idea.

maybe you should call Light & Motion and suggest an improvement. for example last year i returned my Dinotte 300R and i complained on the phone with them that the lowest power level at 25% wasn't low enough for group rides. this year i got a new Dinotte 400R and the lowest level is 10%. was it always that way on 400R or did they change it because i complained ? i don't know. but when you buy a premium product the company should CARE whether you are satisfied with it or not, and you should be able to complain.

you cannot DEMAND any improvements in future products but IMO you should be able to suggest them.

when i was buying a Vitamix blender ( for my diet obviously ) i probably spent over an hour talking to Vitamix engineers ( maybe they were service technicians ) on the phone asking questions about their product ( i have to note i called about their Commercial model blender, maybe they thought i was going to buy something like 20 of their blenders at once for a restaurant chain or something like that, maybe their consumer division doesn't answer questions that way ) it always gives me confidence in the product when i can pick up the phone and have my questions about it answered by people who actually know something about it.

whether you can actually contact L&M that way and talk to somebody other than a sales rep i have no idea. but you can find out and let us know of course you don't have to do this if it is not your idea of fun. it certainly is mine

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Took the Stella 500 / Seca 1500 combo out for a big night ride....wow!! Found that I could run the Seca at 450 and just toggle the Stella between Hi 500 and Low 275 in Race mode. Super techy/rooty/rocky shadowy single track was completely lit up.

The Stella still kept up with the Seca at 800 for faster more open decents. Seca at 1500 was just ridiculous, not really neccessary but a lot of fun...

On the ride home just run the Seca at 450 and it completely lights up the path, from the front tire to as far as I needed...The Beam Pattern of this light is so good.

If anyone is wondering; the Stella 500 has a really nice even round beam. Quite floody with no hot spots. I would be totally comfortable running this light alone on my helmet.

Setup:

• Stella 500 on helmet with two cell in jersey pocket. Hardly noticed the weight.
    • Seca 1500 on bars with battery strapped to frame.

mtbr member
    Took the Stella 500 / Seca 1500 combo out for a big night ride....wow!! Found that I could run the Seca at 450 and just toggle the Stella between Hi 500 and Low 275 in Race mode. Super techy/rooty/rocky shadowy single track was completely lit up.

The Stella still kept up with the Seca at 800 for faster more open decents. Seca at 1500 was just ridiculous, not really neccessary but a lot of fun...

On the ride home just run the Seca at 450 and it completely lights up the path, from the front tire to as far as I needed...The Beam Pattern of this light is so good.

If anyone is wondering; the Stella 500 has a really nice even round beam. Quite floody with no hot spots. I would be totally comfortable running this light alone on my helmet.
    yes, starting from 2013 model year they really nailed it with the Seca. but i don't recommend older Seca models because their beam was too "pointy" for the lack of better word back then. starting from Seca 1700 in 2013 model year they made the beam wider and smoother and just right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deadone View Post
    yeah i did think about that as well so shouldn't really be an issue.
    i also came across this for the same price as the one i mentioned

SG-T2200
    2200 lumen light set.

looks nice, great output as well, also helmet mount included
    out of the 2 what would you guys and gals go for.

once again thanx for all the help, tips and advice, i would of been lost without it
    I'm curious if you received this light. What do you think of it? I think you may be the only one on this forum to buy this light, so any info would be helpful.

Happy night riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Don't skimp on lumens and battery life. Not having enough light and not enough light to finish the ride or ride for long are two big downsides. Of course the design and pattern can make the most or ruin light. Claimed lumens are not absolute. But 350 won't cut it for trail use in my opinion. I switch between 350 and 750 on my light. In some spots 350 is fine and in some 350 makes me nervous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I'm curious if you received this light. What do you think of it? I think you may be the only one on this forum to buy this light, so any info would be helpful.

Happy night riding.
    Look more carefully at the lamp. It's a D99 clone, only more than twice the cost of what D/X is asking..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Look more carefully at the lamp. It's a D99 clone, only more than twice the cost of what D/X is asking..
    I don't think that was ever determined. If anything it was the other way around, Cat-man-do. There was bunch of UK riders that loved the SG-T2200. It also also had better beamshots than the D99.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005

New Front light Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    But like I said, with bike lights costing less then a case of beer now, my torches are just for walking the dog at night and as a back up in my camelback.
    What kind of beer are you drinking? Or are you buying Chinese T6 MS knockoffs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    What kind of beer are you drinking? Or are you buying Chinese T6 MS knockoffs?
    I only buy Chinese knockoffs. Why would I buy anything else when these work great?

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005

Double post. Dumb phone.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    I only buy Chinese knockoffs. Why would I buy anything else when these work great?
    I am tempted but have concerns about barrery issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There are very different China lights on the market. The cheapest ones indeed come with fake batteries, while some "mid-range" vendors provide quite decent battery packs. Look around for various reviews here...

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by deadone View Post
    thanx for the tips.
    so many to choose from its a nightmare lol.
    as for the helmet mount option, ill prob go for separate light for that at a later stage.
    so really just bar mounted front light is what im looking for.

the Nite Rider Lumina 650L looks good, i already have the mako 150 so i know what to expect from it, is the helmet mount for this light any good.
    as im sure the extra power it provides would suffice for my needs.

the NiteRider Pro 750 looks great, small and i presume lightweight, but a little over my £100 budget.
    How is the Mako 150? Worth bothering with?

Devils Child
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post

Happy night riding.
    sorry about the delay in replying back, been busy working.
    anyway as for the light the simple answer is no.
    i have not purchased it. i was a little put off my the options that i dont know any 1 who has tested it.
    it also seems every time i look on different sites something else comes along.
    like this
    SF 547 - 3000 Lumens | Bright Bike Lights

has this been tested here by any1 as of yet.
    it might be worth getting because of the price even if it dont last as long as some of the other top branded models.
    im def in need of some help as so many to choose from and not sure what i should get.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    How is the Mako 150? Worth bothering with?
    hi.
    if you plan on using it for off road or in situations with no lighting then no.
    but as far as the commute to work goes, it does me fine, i have it set on full beam, i have had it over a month now and have not yet needed to change the batteries.
    the strobe function is a nice touch and traffic will def see it.
    quick release mounting bracket does the job fine and so far the light has not moved around. for the price to use back and forth to work its worth a look.

mtbr member
    I recently got a Light & Motion Urban 700 as a gift and am amazed by the quality. I've done night riding with atvs and dirtbikes for years, but never with mountain bikes until now. The Urban 700 is incredibly bright, lightweight and easy to use. I looked in the 2013 MTBR light shootout and saw the Light & Motion Urban 550 was tested, not the 700, but it was still one of their favorites. I've been around many lights from Niterider and Cygolite for years working at a shop, but never got into night riding myself (even though most of my co-workers were). I like the Light & Motion the most out of everything I've seen and sold.

Devils Child
    Jul 2013
    just came across these.
    Headlamps | Flashlights | Camping & Hiking | Sports & Outdoor | Linkdelight.com

seems prices are ok but are the product worth the money.
    chinese lights by the looks of them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2