Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Got a suspension fork

New Dinotte XML-3, replaces 800L-Plus

Looks nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Dinotte XML-3, replaces 800L-Plus-screen-shot-2011-09-01-1.28.23-pm.jpg  

ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Looks nice.
    Great to see some commercial 3 XML lights hitting the scene, but only 1000 lumens?!

But I've said it before and it saddens me to have to say it yet again... Dinotte's web site sucks. As a previous customer I won't argue that they had great products but they haven't a clue how to market them. It still amazes me why, year after year, they never have pictures of their latest lights prominently displayed.

Someone with some web design skills and a digital camera help these guys out, please!
    Last edited by kwarwick; 09-04-2011 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I cant agree more,their XPG version of the 800L+ was poorly advertised and most people didn't even know they upgraded their leds. I am surprised however that they have a XML lamp head out already. If they would just quit been so stubborn and make a larger battery they could drive their lights harder and compete with others. That tripple XML even underdriven should be 1400+ lumens but wont have much run time with the never ending 4 cell Dinotte battery.

Got a suspension fork
    I asked Rob about a 6 cell battery, he cited low demand and cost would be too high, that they have low prices on the 4 cell because it is their main battery.

I don't see this myself, I think with big powerful lights comes a need for bigger batteries. They already have a 2 cell and 4 cell, I should think that they could keep costs down on a 6 cell since it would be made of the same cells as the other batteries. Just don't see that it should be a party breaker.

As someone who just ordered a 1200L-Plus I would have happily ordered it with a 6 cell if that were an option.

bi-winning
    That does look nice.

//I'm still pretty happy with my 200L Dual setup I got ~4 years ago.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Great to see some commercial 3 XML lights hitting the scene, but only 1000 lumens?!

But I've said it before and it saddens me to have to say it again... Dinotte's web site sucks. As a previous customer I won't argue that they had great products but they haven't a clue how to market them. It still amazing me why, year after year they never have pictures of their latest lights prominently displayed.

Someone with some web design skills and a digital camera help these guys out, please!
    Usually I'm very critical of the new DiNotte stuff. However this XM-L (3) I find very interesting. This light head is tailor made for people who want a bright light with a small footprint, somewhere around 1000 lumen but don't want a Chinese clone light. Yes the light is under-driven but this time ( unlike the 1200L+ ) it makes more sense due to the size. If you want 3 x XM-L's driven to the max you will need a larger battery and a larger light head to dissipate the heat. This new offering from DiNotte looks like the perfect compromise in a compact product. If it is a "True 1000 lumen "lamp, it should do well as long as the beam tint is not too blue/green/yellow...etc...and the beam pattern a good mix of flood and throw. Can't wait to see some user beam pics. I figure the run time on high to be somewhere around 2.5hr using the standard 4-cell. Can't wait to see these in a shootout. The light head is $200 for people who already have the battery and charger. *I think I'd buy one of these over one of the new Niterider 1500 even if the Niterider was brighter. ( * that is if NR is still putting the drivers in the battery ) SO....are there any beam pics of these lights yet?

Old Fart at Play
    Looks like a good candidate for a helmet light except for the stupid o-ring mount. I have a 200L that i used on my helmet recently when my Stenlight battery crapped out. What a pain in the ass it is to adjust the beam up or down compared to a hinged mount! Looks like they had a good mount with the 600L. Why they have gone back to o-rings and rubber straps is beyond me. Must be a rubber fetish. I've got to agree on the website too. Pretty lame. But not as lame as Stenlight's site that hasn't been updated in about 5 years. StenLight - Advanced Lighting Products They are also even more clueless about marketing. They make a tough light though, just a little behind the times on emitters. They are fixated on Luxeons for some reason.
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Maximus View Post
    Looks like a good candidate for a helmet light except for the stupid o-ring mount. I have a 200L that i used on my helmet recently when my Stenlight battery crapped out. What a pain in the ass it is to adjust the beam up or down compared to a hinged mount! Looks like they had a good mount with the 600L. Why they have gone back to o-rings and rubber straps is beyond me. Must be a rubber fetish. I've got to agree on the website too. Pretty lame. But not as lame as Stenlight's site that hasn't been updated in about 5 years. StenLight - Advanced Lighting Products They are also even more clueless about marketing. They make a tough light though, just a little behind the times on emitters. They are fixated on Luxeons for some reason.
    I think you mean SSC but yes I think that is over as Cree is the apparent reining ruler for most bike set-ups.....Still, you're right about the rubber mount stuff as it is a PITA. I was however able to get good use out of my 200L helmet mount by using it with my MS 808E. I had to use a couple different sized O-rings but it works and works well. The locking strap system on the helmet mount works well and was a well thought out design. Once you get the light head aimed right it pretty much stays in place but I miss the days of easy tilt-able lamps though. The Marwi's and the DiNotte 600L had great mounts.

I wonder if you'll be able to adapt the new XML-3 to the older 600L mounts?

Got a suspension fork
    Slightly off topic, but after maybe 6 rides. With my Piko 3, I love that it easily can be titled up/down on the fly. No left/right adjustment but mounted on my helmet that doesn't affect me.
    Last edited by randyharris; 09-04-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I think you mean SSC but yes I think that is over as Cree is the apparent reining ruler for most bike set-ups.....Still, you're right about the rubber mount stuff as it is a PITA.
    No, I mean Philips Lumileds Luxeon Rebel 100 LEDs. As far as I know, that was their most recent emitter upgrade.

I wonder if you'll be able to adapt the new XML-3 to the older 600L mounts?
    Possibly, or, possibly, you could do what I did with my 1200L+ using Cateye parts.
    new dinotte light looks interesting

mtbr member
    No, I mean Philips Lumileds Luxeon Rebel 100 LEDs. As far as I know, that was their most recent emitter upgrade.

Possibly, or, possibly, you could do what I did with my 1200L+ using Cateye parts.
    new dinotte light looks interesting
    Okay, I've not heard or seen any postings of DiNotte using the Rebel emitters so that is news to me. I know that Bikeray has used them but not DiNotte. I know that the 1200L+ was using XP-G's and I've read that the other lamps were up-graded as well. I assumed it was XP-G around the board. Do you know what lamps are using the Rebel's?

Oh and BTW, the Cateye mount mod is nice. Sooner or later the Companies that are selling the lights with rubber band and O-ring type mounts are going to get the message that A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THEM.

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Okay, I've not heard or seen any postings of DiNotte using the Rebel emitters so that is news to me.
    I was referring to the Stenlight S7 Premium light.

mtbr member
    I was referring to the Stenlight S7 Premium light.
    Doh!.... Well actually I was just testing you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Emailed Rob to see if they are doing anything with the 600L or have abandoned it. Either the new 1000+ or possibly an update to my 400L could do the trick for the helmet light.

I would also like the 1200+ to have more punch. It is very wide in its' throw but does lack the punch to push the light far enough. Perhaps driving the leds a little harder would be the thing to do, but as noted a larger capacity battery would be required for a reasonable runtime.

I like the Dinotte lights I have, but they still leave you wanting a little more.

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    I would also like the 1200+ to have more punch. It is very wide in its' throw but does lack the punch to push the light far enough. Perhaps driving the leds a little harder would be the thing to do, but as noted a larger capacity battery would be required for a reasonable runtime.
    I think in addition to a larger battery pack for run times over 2 hours on high, the light head would have to be larger to dissipate the heat if they used a higher current. For instance, the new Hope R8 weighs 480 g with battery and the 1200L+ weighs 360 g with battery, both using a four cell battery.

The beam can be played with to some extent as the optics are user replaceable. I believe they are using the 24mm diameter Carclo Quad optics as shown on this page: Cutter Electronics My guess is they are using the 10622 and 10624 optics, but I would check with Dinotte to be sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    Emailed Rob to see if they are doing anything with the 600L or have abandoned it. Either the new 1000+ or possibly an update to my 400L could do the trick for the helmet light.

I like the Dinotte lights I have, but they still leave you wanting a little more.
    About the 600L issue: Yes, sure would be nice to see the offer of a brighter LED upgrade..OR...perhaps offer a trade in discount ( head for head ) so to speak. Now if DiNotte could offer the newer XML-3 for $150 with a 600L ( light head ) trade in, I just might be wiling to go that route...provided there is some way to adapt the XML3 head to the old 600L mount which I still like better than rubber straps.

The DiNotte 1200L+ could probably work fine with a little more current but than it would need a 6-cell ( or 4 x 26650 ) battery to get you decent run time on high. I also agree that it could use a little more punch ( throw ). Too bad they don't give you the option of special ordering. If they did you could either order one quad with XP-E the other with XP-G. That should give you a better mix of flood and throw or maybe double quad XP-E's for the total throw monkeys. Yeah, you might have to wait for the order longer but it would be worth the wait to get what you really want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Dinotte XML-3

Just got the XML-3 and compared to my Dinotte200L, 400L, and 600L. Just by my eyes, it seems like it is at least 1200 lumens. It is much brighter than both and flood pattern more than spot. But, the flood is as bright as the spot on my L&M HID! What a light. Size is between 200L and 600L. The constant light level in the fast flash mode is as bright as the 400L so this will make an excellent sunny day driver alert light and it will be bright enough at night to use in fast flash mode. No run times yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davisek524 View Post
    Just got the XML-3 and compared to my Dinotte200L, 400L, and 600L. Just by my eyes, it seems like it is at least 1200 lumens. It is much brighter than both and flood pattern more than spot. But, the flood is as bright as the spot on my L&M HID! What a light. Size is between 200L and 600L. The constant light level in the fast flash mode is as bright as the 400L so this will make an excellent sunny day driver alert light and it will be bright enough at night to use in fast flash mode. No run times yet.
    Hummm....First big question; Does it look like you can remove the rubber strap mount without too much problem? Second question; Would you say the XM-L(3) has better distance throw than the 600L ? ( hopefully you have a standard optic 600L ) I suspected the XML3 would be more flood. That should make it an excellent bar light. I just hope it still has some throw. If it's as bright as you say then it should.

Anyway can you do some outside beam pics?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Dinotte SML-3 mount

Yes, it is easily removed with a Philips screw driver. This reveals a recessed screw socket and the cooling fins have been cut away to allow a cylindrical bushing to provide a flat interface with the mounting bracket. The throw is better than the 600L but much more of a flood. Maybe my eye ball guess of 1200 lumens is a bit low? I really don't know how to estimate and I have no way to measure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    As there was no options on Dinotte's website where i could see lamp head specks, dementions, weight, would you be able to share your impressions??

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Dinotte XML-3 light comments

Rob has not posted any documentation on his XML series of lights yet. He usually provides weight and this one does seem to be between the 200L and 600L in size and weight. I have asked him for different lenses and he has provided some but I have not asked for any different lenses for the XML-3. It is so bright and has more throw than the 400L and 600L that I really don't need it.

His lights may not have the best mounts and I have read some of the quibbles that some folks have with them, but I have tried many lights and Rob's seem to be the best compromise of size, weight, durability, run times, charge times, brightness, modes, batteries, charger, connectors, cost, customer service --the whole package--and, he has the best tail lights which is very important to me as a road rider who wants to be visible to motorists. Other lights may be better than these in a specific aspect, but I think Dinottes are the best overall even though they may not excel in any one area compared to others.

I use these lights for day time visibility to motorists and night time road riding. The daytime visibility is very effective when doing down hill runs in residential districts where there is a danger of cars pulling out in front of you because they don't see you.

I will try to do some outside beam shots, but I have never done this before.

Got a suspension fork
    Long story short I have both the 1200L-Plus dual quad XPG Dinotte, and the new XML-3 light. I'm going to make the final decision and keep the winner.

Unfortunately the battery needs to be charged! But here are some pictures.

Dinotte 1200L-Plus lighthead weighed 5.0 ounces 141.7 grams
    Dinotte XML-3 lighthead weighed 3.7 ounces, 105 grams

Here are thumbnail pictures, click on any of them for a larger image.

mtbr member
    Thanks Randy. Nice that you have both lights to compare with. I can't wait to hear how they compare in both throw and spread. One poster already commented that the XM-L 3 had more throw than a 600L so I can't wait to hear your opinion on how it compares to the 1200L+.

Got a suspension fork
    These are in our conference room with all lights off, pitch black other than the Dinotte lights.

iPhone 4 pictures using the Camera+ app.

I forgot to measure, but the wall was approximately 30 feet away.

Dinotte 1200L-Plus
    (click on image for larger view)

Dinotte XML-3
    (click on image for larger view)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I know photos can be deceiving especially with indoor shots, but that XML3 looks brighter to me???

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast