Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New D/X SST-50 torches

I just happened to notice these when checking the D/X web site. Five new torches using the Luminous SST-50 emitter. D/X is listing these as using a 2500ma driver and outputting 1000 lumens . According to the spec. sheets that doesn't jive as the spec. sheets seem to indicate a current of 3.4A would be needed to get 1000lm. Still, 2500ma might be able to get you ~ 700-800lm if you can believe the claim to 2500ma on the D/X driver.

A couple months ago I bought a drop-in SST-50 for one of my torches. On a fresh battery the output looks close to 600lm but with a medium width beam pattern. Of course if my memory serves me the driver on the drop-in was not anywhere near 2500ma. Still this torch drop-in rocks and I can't wait to try it out on some trails when all of this snow goes away. It's quite possible that with the bigger reflectors of the standard size torches the SST-50 will have more throw and maybe even beat out my MC-E Aurora torch. The drop-in I'm using doesn't beat my MC-E powered Aurora for throw but like I said, it has a wider beam. Someone needs to buy one of these for a review. This just might be a very hot item if what I'm thinking is true. I still can't see it running for the claimed 1.5hr @ 2500ma that D/X claims. Link > http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.999

....Right now I'm sitting on two feet of snow. Another foot expected in the next 24hrs.
    I sure could use a set of nice snow shoes right now....*Sigh*...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Stop it!

My SSt-50 in the B R body was crap so i think i'll steer clear in future.

Cree or SSC must be working on a R5 or S2 based Multi core LED or a large type like the ssc. Come on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy82
    Stop it!

My SSt-50 in the B R body was crap so i think i'll steer clear in future.

Cree or SSC must be working on a R5 or S2 based Multi core LED or a large type like the ssc. Come on!
    Hey, what can I say. Mine looks good. I've been wanting to do beam shots for months but the weather is not cooperating. Mine looks to put out about the same amount of light as my Aurora with MC-E only the Aurora has a more tightly defined hot spot so has a tad more throw. So....the questions remains....How bright and how tight are these new set-ups with their larger reflectors AND are they anywhere near 1000lm? Don't ask me, I already spent too much during Christmas. Someone else needs to buy one of these and compare it to a P-7 or MCE. Personally, I'm still waiting for D/X to come out with a triple XP-G set-up. Right now the only torch available in a triple XP-G is a custom job over on CPF and those are limited in production and very expensive. (edit: not to mention I'm still wondering where all the D-bin P-7's went. )

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Why don't go with this SST-50 light:

4000mA current

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1

4000mA current
    Interesting....It also seems to have one positive review. I find it hard to believe though that this torch has a driver capable of outputting 4000ma. However if true this could make a fine torch to mod to use as a *bar lamp ( * the review stated that it was more of a flood lamp ). Simply cut off the light head, move the switch to the back of the light head and run an external 7.4 volt Li-ion set-up to power it. If I already didn't have a bar light capable of outputting 1000lm I would seriously consider buying one of these to mod.

On a side note: If D/X can get a torch like this made with a 4000ma driver, we may soon see an upgraded version of the MagicShine! Matter of fact, I triple Dog dare them to come up with a 1100Lm , SST-50 version of the MagicShine!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    On a side note: If D/X can get a torch like this made with a 4000ma driver, we may soon see an upgraded version of the MagicShine! Matter of fact, I triple Dog dare them to come up with a 1100Lm , SST-50 version of the MagicShine!
    love that idea!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

4000mA current

ordered this torch last week - we will see....

mtbr member
    I really, really hope this is as good as the ad says it is. Do you have something to compare it to?...P-7..or MC-E torch/light?? I can't wait to read the review!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I can compare it to my modded Romisen RC-T5 (4x Cree XRE@~1000mA) and my Hope Vision 4!

We will seeeeee

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Torch is leaving Hong Kong today!!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I really, really hope this is as good as the ad says it is. Do you have something to compare it to?...P-7..or MC-E torch/light?? I can't wait to read the review!
    I got this light last week and it is huge. Bar mount only...it's far brighter than 4 of my 230 watt torches combined. I can't see anyone wanting to put this on a helmet - modding as mentioned above would be sweet.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Recieved it last Thursday, but hadn't time to play with it during the last days.
    Did only a quick test to see if it is working!

Loaded 2 18650 Samsung 2600mAh Liion cells and turned it on - its bright with 5 modes.
    The cells have a too lose fit, so the torch turns off and on when turning it upside down

Therefore loaded 4 CR123 Cells (from AW) into it - its as bright as with 2 cells
    After a few seconds the lamp started to flicker and finally turned off!??

switched back to the 18650 cells and it turned on again, but the modes were gone! only full blast or nothing!
    seems the driver circuit is a bit on the low side of quality

A quick comparison to my 4xXRE modded torch shows a warmer tint, more peripheral light and the same throw.

will do outside comparison later on, i also made some pictures - will post them when i have time
    Last edited by Whitedog1; 03-08-2010 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Sounds like it might indeed be putting out around 900-1000 lumens. If I didn't already own a 1000lm triple xpg bar light I would seriously consider modding one these for the bars. For the cost of the torch, battery holder, batteries and other DIY supplies, a person could easily put together a 900-1000lm lamp for somewhere around $100.

Can't wait to see some beam pics so I can judge the throw/beam pattern.

Moderator Moderator
    Recieved it last Thursday, but hadn't time to play with it during the last days.
    Did only a quick test to see if it is working!

Loaded 2 18650 Samsung 2600mAh Liion cells and turned it on - its bright with 5 modes.
    The cells have a too lose fit, so the torch turns off and on when turning it upside down

Therefore loaded 4 CR123 Cells (from AW) into it - its as bright as with 2 cells
    After a few seconds the lamp started to flicker and finally turned off!??

switched back to the 28650 cells and it turned on again, but the modes were gone! only full blast or nothing!
    seems the driver circuit is a bit on the low side of quality

A quick comparison to my 4xXRE modded torch shows a warmer tint, more peripheral light and the same throw.

will do outside comparison later on, i also made some pictures - will post them this late afternoon
    Mine seems ok. The flood is really really nice but the light is long and heavy. I think this one might end up on my WR250F...
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I was going to make some beamshots, but the torch isn't working any more!

So i opened it up and removed the driver board from the housing - and....

....the black wire was loose!!

Now the only problem ist that I don't know where to solder!

NEEEED Help!!

Some Pictures to ilustrate:

I marked on the 2nd and 4th picture the areas where i found the negative potential with the multimeter! Hope this helps??

Last edited by Whitedog1; 03-09-2010 at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Oh My! Well , I guess this explains why you had some trouble.
    My only suggestion is the obvious....Look for a solder connection with some pieces of wire sticking out of it. If that doesn't work send this ball-of-wax back for a replacement. Of course if you choose right and resolder you should be good. If you manage to get it working again be sure to take some more detailed photos for future reference. You never know who may soon have the same problem. Interesting driver that is. If you do figure out the connection, before re-soldering it would be nice if you could do a current test of the SST-50 on high to see what the driver is really supplying to the emitter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yea looks like the obvious isn't! There is no piece of wire sticking out somewhere!

It looks like the wire desoldered due to heat generated by the high current....

Edit: I discovered that i have electrical contact from the spring(plus) to the red wire

and from the outher ring(minus) to the place I marked in the 2nd picture!!

I tried to measure the current with this aproach of connection, but nothing happened!
    Last edited by Whitedog1; 03-09-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Yea looks like the obvious isn't! There is no piece of wire sticking out somewhere!

It looks like the wire desoldered due to heat generated by the high currant....
    Its a possibility, because I've noticed that driver does seem to get pretty hot... but it would of had to be poorly soldered in the first place I think otherwise other components would also be unsoldering themselves.

I might be able to help you out if you get really stuck as also have that model of torch from DX, but I won't be able to get to it for a few days most likely. Let me know you don't figure out where that wire goes.

Oh and if I was to make a guess, the spot you circled in the 2nd picture is a very good candidate for that ground wire (especially if you've confirmed with a multimeter that it is at ground potential relative to the battery ground).
    Last edited by kwarwick; 03-09-2010 at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    another thing to mention:

Tere is really no thermal paste in this light!!!

The Led has some thermal glue to stick on the heatsink, but the rest of the torch is completely without!

If I get my light working I will add some paste between the LED heatsink and the reflector and between the reflector and the bezel!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I measured the diameter of the driver: it is 20mm !! Are there any driver out there that will fit, so i can replace the broken one?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I measured the diameter of the driver: it is 20mm !! Are there any driver out there that will fit, so i can replace the broken one?
    Have you determined the driver is broken or do you still not know where to hook up the black wire?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Until now i don't know where to hook up the black wire and if the driver is broken or not !

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Update: soldered the black wire after some measurements to the position marked in the picture:

Woooohoooo - the light is working again!!

The modes are still gone.... but this doesn't bother me much.

I also tried to measure the amps, but my multimeter wasn't showing any results

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok, seems like sh** happens!

Fired up the light and after a short time (app a few seconds) it died!
    Smelled strong like burned electric components

I didn't opened it again....but I am shure its dead now

mtbr member
    Looks like you have some decisions to make now. You could send it back to get a replacement or keep the old one for parts. Before doing that though I would quickly test ( using one 18650 ) using the direct drive method to see if the emitter still works. If it does all you have to do it get another driver. That shouldn't be too long a wait before Taskled begins to market one that should work fine. ( for modding that is ).
    It would be great if you could just get the driver from D/X.
    I don't know if they will do something like that but it is worth a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast