Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

Ok, here is the link. I took the plunge for this price. I have a newer barley used GEO 6.0 battery that I will use w/ this and just keep the one w/ the unit as a back up.

3X CREE XM-L T6 LED 3800Lm LED Headlight Headlamp Bicycle Bike Light | eBay

I'll post on this thread when I get it and give some details, what I think actual lumens are, etc. Sorry, don't have a way to actually test it but I do have a Dinotte XML-3 so I can measure off that.

Hope it actually works and hope I actually get it. Says delivery Sept 29th - Oct 5th which means Oct 5th.

Oh yeah, only has a 1 month warranty. I'll just have to make sure I use it on low when climbing.

More to follow.

MB

mtbr member
    Yep, hard not to lay money down when the prices are that low.
    The 4400mAh battery is too small to power a 3 x XM-L set up UNLESS the lamp is very under-driven. Even your Geoman 6.0 battery would have a hard time powering a lamp like this if the emitters are fully driven. The only reason I say that is because someone said their GM 6.0 battery had a hard time driving the Gemini Olympia. The Gemini Olympia though is a very bright lamp and likely pulling a good amount of power.

Let us know how it works out. Heck, even if it only looks like 1500 lumen you still got your monies worth. Let us know how it compares to the DiNotte XML 3.

There's going to be a lot of bike light vendors reaching for the Xanax when they start seeing these roll out.

One Gear
    I can't build something that cheap and it won't look anywhere near as nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Cat

I'm not the most knowledgeable about the currents, etc but the listing says it's running at 1A. I'll assume that is somewhat under driven and probably putting out a realistic 1000 lumens, about 300-350 per LED.

If that's the case, it might actually work fairly well and not overheat. And yeah, my first thought was the battery would not drive it.

We'll see.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Hey Cat

I'm not the most knowledgeable about the currents, etc but the listing says it's running at 1A. I'll assume that is somewhat under driven and probably putting out a realistic 1000 lumens, about 300-350 per LED.

If that's the case, it might actually work fairly well and not overheat. And yeah, my first thought was the battery would not drive it.

We'll see.

MB
    Actually the 1-amp listing is for the charger. What the light head is doing is anyone's guess. You should be able to tell a lot just from the run time. The longer the run time on high the less the current draw is ( generally speaking ). For fully driven emitters with the battery that is being sold with the lamp I would think run time to be about 1 hr and 15 minutes on high. If the run time ends up being longer than the output is less than optimal. Personally I feel if it gets 1.5hr on high ( with supplied battery ) I would be thrilled. That would indicate the lamp is drawing a decent amount of juice and the resultant lumen output should be very bright.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Six and half hours to charge the battery... oh that's going to be fun. Thank god I own several magicshine chargers at 1.8A output. Anyway the XM-Ls are capable of using 10W each and the battery is 32.5W (3.7 nominal voltage @ 2.2A per cell times four cells) so yeah, full power you're looking at an hour at high and then you wanna change the battery pack.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The producer advertises this light with 20 watt. Its a triple T6, its small, probably lightweight too and its rock bottom CHEAP, 40 $.

A spare 6cell battery will be 17$, making it 3 sets with 4cell and 6cell battery each, incl. shipping for around 200$.
    goldrunhui.en.alibaba.com/product/634983612-213894431/GoldRunhui_RH_B0041_20W_3_XML_3T6_LED_2000LM_18650 _Aluminum_Bicycle_Light.h
    The XML U2 has been measured in an “Ulbricht sphere” at 60-degree temperature (between 25 and 80degree is an increasing drop of efficiency, reaching 15% at 3A) and at 6,65 Watt at around 700lm and 105lm/w.
    That’s a total current draw of 2,2AH at 3x 6,65w= 20w.

Subtract:
    5-8% for the T6/U2 efficiency difference,
    20% -30% efficiency of circuits and optics.
    So 700lm -30/40% = 500lm - 400lumen x3= 1200 – 1500lm OFT,
    a bit meagre, but very good lumen/watt ratio at 2,2Ah.
    Therefore, it’s a bit better than a 4up XPG, but cheaper and more efficient.
    Some sites advertise it correctly with 1200lm.
    cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1740
    Lumen/watt is around 100lm/w at lower current,
    Lumen/$ is around 30 per greenback.

The question is how the beam looks like.
    The SMO reflector suggest throw, but 44,5 mm diameter is rather small,
    but depth of 56mm could be sufficient. Weight is around 100-150gramm,
    I guessed.

I really look forward to some beam shots soon here.

The Fluxient 3x U2 is certainly better,
    But if the throw of the RH B004 is good and the weight light,
    2 of them with a spare battery will cost the same as 1 Fluxient.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

photos

first photo 1xXML (with modded reflector, more flow),
    second, the cheap 3xXML
    third, the Niteye B20 (2xXML U2)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-1-xml.jpg  

New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-3-x-xml.jpg  

New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-niteye-b20-2xxml-u2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I decided to try this thing out too. A variant however with a 6400mah battery pack... 3800 Lum 3x Cree XM-L XML T6 LED HeadLamp Headlight Bicycle Lamp Bike Car Light | eBay

Hopefully it works when it shows up

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bad A. 10 bucks more but you get a better battery if you can actually believe them.

Rein, I'm actually hoping the actual lumens is around 1200 which will tell me that it's not over driven and will actually work. The Dinotte XML-3 that I have is 1034 tested lumens and is more than enough light for the bars and only gets warm-almost hot if you leave it on high for a while w/o air flow. As soon as you move, the unit never runs more than just warm on the high setting.

Clone should be here in a week or so and I'll post picts, etc.

Just can't beat the price unless it's fails quick as it only has a 1 MONTH warranty. Time will tell all.

MB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bad A. 10 bucks more but you get a better battery if you can actually believe them.
    Yup, I know. It's gotta be true... it's just gotta! It's printed in plain black & white, and it's on the internet! It's official

We'll see when it shows. If the battery is the 4400mah, then so be it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Keep us updated... Im looking at this clone, and the other standard clone people seem to say is decent....

Buy CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight HeadLamp 1200LM 9W for Wholesale - Free Shipping

I splurged at Action LED for a more quality light on the helmet, and want to have something a little less $ on the bars..... Trying to wrap my head around the conversations going on in the forum makes my head spin, but reviews and abbreviated threads like this are most helpful figuring out run times, functionality, and what wont crap out on the first few rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yiannakas View Post
    first photo 1xXML (with modded reflector, more flow),
    second, the cheap 3xXML
    third, the Niteye B20 (2xXML U2)
    Nice comparison shots. The 3xml and the 2xml look about the same. I realize the Niteye B20 is better quality and has more features, but at over 3 times the cost. The extra features aren't things that I particularly need, so I'd happily go with the 3xml (better yet, 2of them).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The clone arrived today.

I'm not sure how to upload pictures to the site but when I figure it out, I'll upload.

The light head looks pretty well built. Aluminum probably. The connectors do work w/ MS and GOE batteries. The connectors are a bit different but they work. The battery supplied is the typical cheap battery most likely and the connectors supplied are lame, they don't even stay connected. However, the GEO connector is much better and secures really well. I'll be using the GEO battery. You'll have to tape the battery supplied connectors together or they will just come apart.

Typical O ring mounting.

Now for the light. It's pretty bright. It's a touch brighter than the Dinotte XML-3 so which I am happy about as that tells me it's somewhat under driven. I would guess this to be 1200 real lumens. I have to reserve judgement on heat dissipation as I have not tested that and it was over 100 here today and still mid 80's. SF Bay Area Indian Summer!! The unit got warm/hot after only 10 seconds. Again, I hesitate to say anything regarding this until it cools down some. The beam is somewhat spot but has good peripheral light. Not as good as the Dinotte but they are not apples to apples.

Overall, I'm impressed w/ the amount of light. I'm not impressed w/ the lame connectors. Time will tell if it's durable.

1 MONTH warranty!

Overall, way worth a $50 investment. However, you have to be willing to eat it if it blows after a month.

I would never ride w/ it as an only light alone.

Will report back w/ picts and beam shots when I figure it all out.

MB

Edit: Forgot, the light head is 4.65 oz. In comparison, the XML-3 Dinotte is 3.55 oz. Overall size is larger than the Dinotte.
    Last edited by mb323323; 10-01-2012 at 09:15 PM.

just a Newbie
    The clone arrived today.

I'm not sure how to upload pictures to the site but when I figure it out, I'll upload.

The light head looks pretty well built. Aluminum probably. The connectors do work w/ MS and GOE batteries. The connectors are a bit different but they work. The battery supplied is the typical cheap battery most likely and the connectors supplied are lame, they don't even stay connected. However, the GEO connector is much better and secures really well. I'll be using the GEO battery. You'll have to tape the battery supplied connectors together or they will just come apart.

Typical O ring mounting.

Now for the light. It's pretty bright. It's a touch brighter than the Dinotte XML-3 so which I am happy about as that tells me it's somewhat under driven. I would guess this to be 1200 real lumens. I have to reserve judgement on heat dissipation as I have not tested that and it was over 100 here today and still mid 80's. SF Bay Area Indian Summer!! The unit got warm/hot after only 10 seconds. Again, I hesitate to say anything regarding this until it cools down some. The beam is somewhat spot but has good peripheral light. Not as good as the Dinotte but they are not apples to apples.

Overall, I'm impressed w/ the amount of light. I'm not impressed w/ the lame connectors. Time will tell if it's durable.

1 MONTH warranty!

Overall, way worth a $50 investment. However, you have to be willing to eat it if it blows after a month.

MB

Edit: Forgot, the light head is 4.65 oz. In comparison, the XML-3 Dinotte is 3.55 oz. Overall size is larger than the Dinotte.
    MB, now you received the light, I'm curious as to what is those pokie dots around the light switch? TIA

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the tips guys.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    The clone arrived today.

Typical O ring mounting.

1 MONTH warranty!

MB

MB, I need some clarification. First you said the lamp was brighter than your DiNotte XML3. Then you said the DiNotte was better. Was that just because the DiNotte is a better build / over-all system or is there something else about the beam pattern of the DiNotte that made it better as well?

The fact that there is some problems with the connectors goes a long way to explain why they are selling them at the low price. For the record I pulled the trigger on one of these myself because I figured it was worth the money even if the battery was crap. Mine should come in two weeks.

I'm crossing my fingers in hope that this lamp might be a real thrower and not be too heavy on the helmet. I figure if I end up not liking it I might be able to find someone at work who might want to buy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Cat

Yeah, too heavy for the helmet for me. I think most would think it's too heavy as well. Haven't used it on the trail yet. Will Wed eve so I'll get back to you. It does throw pretty well, better than the Dinotte XML-3 but the overall beam pattern is better on the XML-3 as it lights up everything in front of you for about 70 feet pretty much w/ a very even amount of light. The clone has the typical hot spot and darker around the edges. It's a steal though for 50 bucks. Of course the Dinotte is better quality. I'll be interested to see what you think as you own more lights than I do and can make a better assessment.

Colleen, those dumb looking things seem to be rivets. They must hold something. I thought they would be screws so I could take it apart "when" it fails. Or should I say "if" it fails. If you want, you can borrow and put on your sphere to test lumens.

MB

mtbr member
    Hey Cat

Yeah, too heavy for the helmet for me. I think most would think it's too heavy as well. Haven't used it on the trail yet. Will Wed eve so I'll get back to you. It does throw pretty well, better than the Dinotte XML-3 but the overall beam pattern is better on the XML-3 as it lights up everything in front of you for about 70 feet pretty much w/ a very even amount of light. The clone has the typical hot spot and darker around the edges. It's a steal though for 50 bucks. Of course the Dinotte is better quality. I'll be interested to see what you think as you own more lights than I do and can make a better assessment.

Colleen, those dumb looking things seem to be rivets. They must hold something. I thought they would be screws so I could take it apart "when" it fails. Or should I say "if" it fails. If you want, you can borrow and put on your sphere to test lumens.

MB
    If it ends up not being able to beat out the Xeccon S-12 for throw I will likely try to mod it be more useful as a bar light. Perhaps a separate diffusion lens over one of the LED's might give it a bit more close in spill.

From what you've said I think it's about 17gms heavier than the S-12. That would make it noticeable, certainly more weight than most would like. However I use the S-12 sometimes with a two cell on the helmet. So far I've not had major complications with that set-up. I figure as long as this clone lamp doesn't cause helmet sag it might just work. We'll see.

mtbr member
    I saw this today. Cree XM-L T6 LED Bike Light
    It's local so I think I will check it out at somepoint. The lumens doesn't quite add up, but looks interesting.

just a Newbie
    If those are indeed rivots in the back housing, I wonder how they will hold up in term of keeping water out of the housing? Interesting way of holding the unit together unless they are more for cosmetic reasoning.

I would be interested in a beam comparison of this light with those in the same catagory. Lights in the 1200 lumens range such as Gloworm, clone 872 or even the quad XP-G. A quick test in sphere will determine a relative OTF lumens and a outdoor beamshot will be nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ok, rode w/ this on the trail Wed eve. Fire roads and single track.

When I first tested this in my yard, I thought it might be a little brighter than a Dinotte XML-3. On the trail, it has a hot spot but the peripheral lighting around the hot spot is not as bright as the XML-3 and has those rings around the hot spot.

Cat, the throw is average. The throw on my clone T-6 is better.

I forgot to mention this starts on low setting, then medium and high. The difference between medium and high is minimal.

On the trail I noticed something odd when I turned it on and scrolled through the settings. The beam pattern seemed to change. I then turned it on and looked to see if all the LED's were on and I guessed right after I saw that. Low is 1 LED on, medium is 2 LED's on and high is 3. The difference between medium and high is minimal.

I works good though for a 50 dollar light. Especially if you have a GEO battery hanging around.

It never got hot. I even turned it on high up a 20 minute climb and it only got warm. The 6.0 GEO battery lasted approx 3 hours before it turned red. All good signs that this is not over driven.

Ok, since I'm lame at picts, etc how about I ask Cat to finish the review when his arrives and does beam shots, etc.

For 50 bucks, I'd buy one but not as an only light.

Thx

MB

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    If those are indeed rivots in the back housing, I wonder how they will hold up in term of keeping water out of the housing? Interesting way of holding the unit together unless they are more for cosmetic reasoning.
    Liquid electrical tape like Plastic Dip might be a good idea. It's easy to take off. My only concern would be that it might provide some thermal insulation and cause the light to overheat.

mtbr member
    ...On the trail I noticed something odd when I turned it on and scrolled through the settings. The beam pattern seemed to change. I then turned it on and looked to see if all the LED's were on and I guessed right after I saw that. Low is 1 LED on, medium is 2 LED's on and high is 3. The difference between medium and high is minimal.....
    Thx

MB
    OH NO!.......THE DREADED MONO-LED-PER-STEP, LED MODE FUNCTION!.....Pardon me but I don't know what else to call it. Even worse is the fact that they are doing it on a lamp with a reflector set-up designed with cut outs. Without all LED's being lit at the same time ( to fill in the gaps ) there are bound to be aberrations in the beam pattern(s).

This is like the worst feature you can get in a Chinese made lamp other than it not working at all. When switching modes, change in intensity is one thing, change in beam pattern is quite another!

To be blunt: This type of mode function should be outlawed unless clearly stated in the product description by the seller. THIS IS NOT TRUE MULTI-EMITTER/ MULTI-MODE FUNCTION as would be commonly expected by anyone buying a bike light or torch.

The really sad part about all of this is that once the news gets out many people will now not be willing to take a chance buying a multi-emitter Chinese made lamp or torch. The Chinese don't realize it yet but they just shot their entire industry in the foot. If I have any plans to buy other lamps this means I will have to contact the seller before hand to verify "True full-time multi-emitter function".
    Not only will this be difficult but most will probably have no idea what I'm even talking about.

(* stock tip: shares in all U.S. made bike lights just went up. )

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The worst thing about that type of modes is that the steps between levels isn't very useful. I don't know about the beam pattern being all that bad since I'd expect this to be a flooder.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast