Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Okay.

Here are my real world run time results with the 3x XML Tri-Clone. The battery is a claimed 6400 mah, but it's not. I ran a number of tests on a discharge cycle I can only pull 2100 - 2300 milliamps from it. My light came from a seller on ebay called rabbitword88.

Low - 3 Hours 43 Minutes, on recharge the battery took 2145 millamps
    Med - 1 Hour 16 Minutes, on recharge the battery took 2199 millamps
    High - 1 Hour 5 Minutes, on recharge the battery took 2149 millamps

At least I got good run time on low!

So, like others that have posted, this light with a better battery would be awesome! Even an actual 4400 mah battery would be a huge improvement.
    Last edited by Mr.Grumpy; 11-24-2012 at 09:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Unless something can be done with resetting the battery pack, I will definitely be contacting the seller for a replacement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

... and if we just ...

So, is there any difference in the 4400mah and 6400mah batteries. Im going to but ont to mod and will ditch the batteries in favour of somthing else. Probably 8 cells.

The 4400 lights are a bit cheaper so I will probably grab it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    So, is there any difference in the 4400mah and 6400mah batteries.
    Probably not. Check out the testresults of Mr. Grumpy and others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    So, is there any difference in the 4400mah and 6400mah batteries. Im going to but ont to mod and will ditch the batteries in favour of somthing else. Probably 8 cells.

The 4400 lights are a bit cheaper so I will probably grab it.
    Look, just buy a battery from one of the Vendors here on MTB Review. You'll get a better quality battery and some warranty time. Even the standard 4400mAh MagicShine batteries will fair better than this E-smay crap. A good 4400mAh battery should get you about 1.5hr on high ( when used with the TRI-clone ). My 5200mAh ( Bikeray ) batteries get about 2hrs on high.

Since this lamp does not offer any advance warning cutoff features I suggest if you choose to upgrade your battery that you do the following: Buy at least one good 5200mAh battery. That will get you at least 2hrs on high. Then buy a second 2 cell battery for back-up and carry it in your pack on every ride. This way you can't accidentally run out of battery juice.

Now you might think; Why not just buy a 6 cell (?). Yeah, you could do that but you still would not have any light after the pack runs dry. Now if you have another lamp as back-up and trust it to get you out of the woods than fine, get a six cell.

The advantage of doing it the way I said is that once the 4-cell ( good battery ) goes out you have two choices; You can use a "jumper to restart the 4-cell" by hooking it up to the two cell. *Once restarted it should give you at least another 15 minutes on low. ( * Note, this will not work with the supplied battery. On the other hand did work with my 4 cell Bikeray battery )
    ...OR....just hook up the TRI-clone directly to the two cell and get another 45-50 minutes on medium. Simply put once you switch to the 2-cell you use the power setting that you know will get you home. If you know you have at least another hour to ride then you set the light on low and you should have no problems.

It will cost more to buy two separate batteries but would be worth it to know that you won't run out of power for your main lamp. Now like I said before, if you have a back-up light or torch then you don't need the extra battery.

** I'll test my two cell MagicShine battery with the TRI-clone and let you know how long it will run.

Let's Ride!
    Ok, real world test on the trail this morning.
    3800Lm 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED LED Headlight Headlamp Bicycle Bike Light with a claimed 4400mAh battery
    and a Mini Cree Mini CREE LED XML XM-L T6 LED 1600Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp HeadLight headLamp with a claimed 6400mAh battery

Both of these battery packs are exactly the same size and weight so I'm possitive the Mini battery is not 6400......oh well......I'll send a note to the seller

The 3x was on my bars and I ran it on Medium for the first 10 minutes before realizing I only needed the low setting, I then ran it for the next 2.5 hours on the trail and back, then the last 10 minutes were on strobe for my commute into work......it still had life left before I unplugged and came to the desk. The light spreads really well and works great on the bars!! Really lights up whats all around you when on low, I love it......and the life is good! Oh, this light gets HOT. be careful!

The mini was attached to my helmet and worked really well to help with upcoming corners, bumps and whatever........I've left in running and it's been 3.5 hours and it's still going strong..........I could have easily ridden with just the Mini, however this was more off a XC trail with a few tech sections, if I was doing anything crazier I'd want to have both lights. I'll "edit" when the Mini quits.

Overall, both batteries are interchangable, so I'm happy with my purchases, for $70 I got two lights with batteries that seem good enough.......I'll be watching the long term life of these and see. Thanks for all the reviews and testing guys/gals!! Much appreciated!
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    then the last 10 minutes were on strobe for my commute into work
    What time of day you used strobe while on road? Wasn't it causing instant seasures for oncoming riders/drivers?

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobale View Post
    What time of day you used strobe while on road? Wasn't it causing instant seasures for oncoming riders/drivers?
    it was light out with fog............and yeah, I pointed it down...........not sure why that feature was even put on the light, except maybe "fog" ........ and to create an instant "clubbing" experience.........just add music

mtbr member
    it was light out with fog............and yeah, I pointed it down...........not sure why that feature was even put on the light, except maybe "fog" ........ and to create an instant "clubbing" experience.........just add music
    It's one of those things that the Chinese still haven't gotten yet. The strobe function for bike lights needs to be more "low frequency" ( more of a flash and less of a strobe ).

I wouldn't recommend usng a strobe full time but certainly it can be very useful when used for brief periods going through busy intersections.

I use a mini torch at work for when I have to get out of the car and cross a busy road ( at night ). With the mini torch on strobe ( pointing down at my feet ) the reaction by the approaching traffic is undeniable. Every car slows down. Works like a charm. Interestingly, last night I forgot to bring it. Boy what a difference!

Let's Ride!
    As an FYI I emailed the seller of the Mini stating that it is not the claimed 6400mAh battery and that I'm dissapointed in not receiving what I ordered.........they responded quickly stating they would send out a new battery right away.......we'll see if it's another 4400mAh? I guess I'll have two as a worse case scenario.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    As an FYI I emailed the seller of the Mini stating that it is not the claimed 6400mAh battery and that I'm dissapointed in not receiving what I ordered.........they responded quickly stating they would send out a new battery right away.......we'll see if it's another 4400mAh? I guess I'll have two as a worse case scenario.
    Yup, same thing for me. Should see my other battery next week. I doubt that it will be a 6400 though. But I'll be testing it!

mtbr member
    At least you'll have one backup battery. It's a win-win no matter what.

wjw
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There's a lot of good info on this thread. I don't know anything about these light systems, but am trying to reverse engineer how they work. The battery packs seem to be nicads. This being my guess due to the 8.4v rating. No idea if they have a regulated output or not. I'm guessing not. I would think the head unit has a buck converter to lower the battery voltage to the LEDs typical 3.1v.
    Anyone have an idea if the head unit would work with a 12-14v supply? I'm open to adding an intermediate stage, a 3A buck to lower my supply but would rather run it without one.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks !

mtbr member
    Battery pack consists of 2S2P (4 pieces) 18650 Li-Ion cells. On single XML light driver is current limited buck converter, and my guess is here is the same. It probably won't work directly from 12-14V without modifications (input caps and MCU voltage dropping resistor springs to mind).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Got my light after 2 months of waiting. Claimed 6400mAh battery pack is of course 4400mAh. Mine came with a loose lens so I'll make up a spacer to fix it. Otherwise it rattles. Did some run time tests:

1h:8m on HIGH with original battery

2h:5m on HIGH with Geoman replacement battery for Magicshine

Guess which one I'll be using. The supplied battery is a joke and only suitable as a backup since it is small and lightweight.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok, real world test on the trail this morning.

Both of these battery packs are exactly the same size and weight.
    Likewise, I also got the 3X CREE XM-l T6 from the security store but got the single 'CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight HeadLamp 1200LM Gold" via Amazon sold by Able Provider with a claimed 8800 mAh battery. As you might have guessed, it came with a 4400 mAh, same size and weight as the 3X but I haven't tested it's run time. My 3X gets 45-65 min. on medium and drains to dead when left connected after running for a bit.
    When I contacted the SecurityStore through Ebay about their poor battery, they said they would give me an $8 credit as they only make $6 on each light sold. I have included the response from Able Provider regarding their claimed 8800 mAh below. They seemed to have missed the point or aren't aware of what they are showing in their own spec's.

I realize we are getting very bright lights for cheap, but maybe we should not give these cloners a "free ride" on our purchase feedback when it comes to their claimed lumens and batteries. I'm sure the legitimate sellers would appreciate more truthfulness on everybody's part.

Reply from Able Provider,

Dear mcc

ours is 4400mah. In this market mainly is 4400mah.

really 8800mah need highly technology , if the technology is not mature . it may unsafe to use this kind of battery.

so take safe into consideration, most of sellers do not use 8800mah battery in practical. our battery could used for 4 hours at least after charging. it is enough for normal use.

hope you understand us. it is not wise for us to get a positive review to send you a 8800mah battery with poor quality and bring dangouse to you.

thanks

Alice
    Customer service
    Able Provider

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ok

So did a run time test w/ the GEO 6.0 replacement battery tonight. Did it on medium since I think that is the best use of this light due to high being barely visibly brighter to the human eye.

So far I'm at 2:43 on medium and another 15 min on low. Unfortunately it's 11:25pm and I need to shower and go to bed. The light was still burning on medium.

I think the best use of this light head which is pretty good for the money is to buy a better battery. The light head is pretty efficient w/ a good battery.

I'll retest on high w/ the 6.0 battery next week.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Ok

So did a run time test w/ the GEO 6.0 replacement battery tonight. Did it on medium since I think that is the best use of this light due to high being barely visibly brighter to the human eye.

So far I'm at 2:43 on medium and another 15 min on low. Unfortunately it's 11:25pm and I need to shower and go to bed. The light was still burning on medium.

I think the best use of this light head which is pretty good for the money is to buy a better battery. The light head is pretty efficient w/ a good battery.

I'll retest on high w/ the 6.0 battery next week.

MB
    Sounds about right to me.

I just realized that I actually do own another 4400mAh battery that came with my Xeccon X-12.. Tomorrow I'll hook that up to the Tri-clone just to see how well it works. I figure if it gets over 1hr and 40 minutes on high that would be pretty good.

Skyline.....that letter from the seller was too much. I couldn't decide to cry or to laugh. ...okay so I'm laughing.... Even the Chinglish was beyond the pale.

Anyway, so here's the solution...( bear with me )....Write them back and tell them, " I fixie the technology and the technology is now higher yen". "Please send the better battery so all technology is equal, chop, chop"....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I just realized that I actually do own another 4400mAh battery
    So many hidden treasures at your place Cat.

Be nice to know the current draw with the tri-clone. Can you please measure it next time?

Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My power suppy has just arrived, as I decided to buy one sooner. Now I have 600W 5-15V 0-40A PS for testing with LC display to show voltage and current draw. I will post here some measurements, just be patient as I do not have that much time

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I am going to buy an adjustable power supply, but in January, so I cannot make test earlier :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi guys. I didn't want to start a new thread, as i'm new here and it could be seen as spam, but I was going to buy one of these, then noticed that there's a quad version which wasn't there a week ago. Is this one going to be more extreme?

ebay.co.uk/itm/4500Lm-4x-CREE-XML-T6-LED-Bicycle-bike-Headlamp-Headlight-Torch-Light-w-6x18650-/261134463628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cccd3b28c

Is that battery going to be enough? Is it even going to be at those specs? Or a load of BS? It says 4 hours on high?

Does this tri-clone light give double run time on strobe? Anyone tested that? I have a Fluxient 3xU2 and am kinda regretting it now. This clone looks really bright.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bass View Post
    Hi guys. I didn't want to start a new thread...
    I think that'd be a good idea when discussing a totally different light so that this thread doesn't get confusing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well I have Skyray S6, but considering they are the same I did some measurements using PS at 40A at 8.44V for 1 minute each mode:
    idle w/ PS turned on: 0.02A
    1 LED: 0.58A
    2 LED: 1.83A
    3 LED: 2.01A
    strobe: 1.1A

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    My power suppy has just arrived, as I decided to buy one sooner. Now I have 600W 5-15V 0-40A PS for testing with LC display to show voltage and current draw. I will post here some measurements, just be patient as I do not have that much time
    Last edited by MK96; 11-30-2012 at 10:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bass View Post
    Hi guys. I didn't want to start a new thread, as i'm new here and it could be seen as spam, but I was going to buy one of these, then noticed that there's a quad version which wasn't there a week ago. Is this one going to be more extreme?

ebay.co.uk/itm/4500Lm-4x-CREE-XML-T6-LED-Bicycle-bike-Headlamp-Headlight-Torch-Light-w-6x18650-/261134463628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cccd3b28c

Is that battery going to be enough? Is it even going to be at those specs? Or a load of BS? It says 4 hours on high?

Does this tri-clone light give double run time on strobe? Anyone tested that? I have a Fluxient 3xU2 and am kinda regretting it now. This clone looks really bright.
    I believe this is the link to the light you are referring to > 4500Lm 4x CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle bike Headlamp Headlight Torch Light w/ 4x18650.

I've not seen these before but that doesn't surprise me.. Size looks similar to the triple.

In the battery description it mentions 6400ma. This is not 6400mAh. The "H" for hour makes a big difference! Could be the battery supplies 3.2 A to each set of LED's ( but I wouldn't bet on it .. ). No idea what battery is being used but if a 4 cell run time is going to be real short.

There is no mention of the mode's being applied via single LED illumination. That could be good. It does mention a press to hold strobe, That is good.

Like the triple, buyer beware. No telling what you're getting if you buy one of these. Anyone buying one of these needs to start a new thread.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 11-30-2012 at 01:00 PM.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I plan on getting just the triple head and making a 6200 pack out of 4 keeppowers....
    Perhaps I can get 3 hours on high??

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast