Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This looks interesting. I like the look of the HI-MAX Tri. It looks as though they are copying some of things that Xeccon does ( such as the use of red anodizing to add a little flare ).

Also interesting that it is using the XM-L "U3" emitters. When I come home tonight ( from a sweet "Super" full moon ride ) I'll send an PM off to the D/X rep and see if this thing offers "LED voltage indicators". If it does, even with the typical lousy UI it might worth the extra money. And speaking of UI, no mention if these are using the typical 1-2-3 LED type mode set-up ( one extra LED for each mode) or if these are "all leds on full time ) (?)....I'll ask that question too.
    Can anyone comment on what the light output and amperage on the Medium setting? I'm mainly interested in knowing what the run time on Medium would be. Trying to weigh this versus the 2 LED models, since I'll likely only be using two LEDs anyway. Also whether I should buy the lights and battery separately? I swear I have been reading all of these threads recently and still have a ton of questions, sigh. I really just want a good bar light with a wide pattern and a reasonable output (1000+ lumens) that can run for at least 2 hours. I greatly appreciate any advice on the matter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can replace the lens to get wide pattern - there are lot of replacement glass lenses on DX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Can anyone comment on what the light output and amperage on the Medium setting? I'm mainly interested in knowing what the run time on Medium would be. Trying to weigh this versus the 2 LED models, since I'll likely only be using two LEDs anyway. Also whether I should buy the lights and battery separately? I swear I have been reading all of these threads recently and still have a ton of questions, sigh. I really just want a good bar light with a wide pattern and a reasonable output (1000+ lumens) that can run for at least 2 hours. I greatly appreciate any advice on the matter.
    Steel, This HI-MAX Tri is a new lamp so not much user feedback as yet. Still waiting on details from D/X as to special features. Regardless if you buy one I doubt you'll be disappointed with the output. I have one of the original tri-clones and the output ( and beam pattern ) on those were very nice. Since the HI MAX tri is using a brighter XM-L bin ( U3 ) emitter they "should" be very bright.

Batteries will always be a question mark but with my last D/X lamp ( Ultrafire quad XM-L ) the supplied battery was able to power the lamp two hours on high which ( considering where the battery came from ) is not too bad. I figure if you get a good battery from D/X it should get the HI MAX tri somewhere in the 2hr 45 min. to 3hr range when run on medium. This assuming you get a battery as good as the one I got.

If you decide to go with a duel emitter set-up if it were me I'd go with one of the Fasttech Solorstorm X-2's. They are using the XM-L U2 emitter and are suppose to have pretty good throw as well. Any multi-emitter lamp you buy should have a beam pattern wide enough to work well coming off the bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Steel, This HI-MAX Tri is a new lamp so not much user feedback as yet. Still waiting on details from D/X as to special features. Regardless if you buy one I doubt you'll be disappointed with the output. I have one of the original tri-clones and the output ( and beam pattern ) on those were very nice. Since the HI MAX tri is using a brighter XM-L bin ( U3 ) emitter they "should" be very bright.

Batteries will always be a question mark but with my last D/X lamp ( Ultrafire quad XM-L ) the supplied battery was able to power the lamp two hours on high which ( considering where the battery came from ) is not too bad. I figure if you get a good battery from D/X it should get the HI MAX tri somewhere in the 2hr 45 min. to 3hr range when run on medium. This assuming you get a battery as good as the one I got.

If you decide to go with a duel emitter set-up if it were me I'd go with one of the Fasttech Solorstorm X-2's. They are using the XM-L U2 emitter and are suppose to have pretty good throw as well. Any multi-emitter lamp you buy should have a beam pattern wide enough to work well coming off the bars.
    Cat,

Very much appreciate your feedback. The X-2 was one of the one's I certainly had in mind. I will move the discussion to the Solarstorm X-2 thread to keep this thread for derailing into the dual emitter territory.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What are the thoughts on this light?http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021404

Is the "XM-L2 U2" a misprint? I'm interested in an L2-U2 setup, but I haven't even seen clones for a 2x yet with that emitter bin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm no expert on the different leds, but I think you can tell the difference between an xm-l versus xm-l2 by the color around the led. Green versus white:

xm-l
    Cree Component XLamp XM-L LEDs
    xm-l2
    Cree XLamp XM-L2 LEDs

The l2 also come in different temperature colors, but I don't know much about that. The do make an xm-l2 u2
    https://illuminationsupply.com/bare-...00k-p-279.html

All I know is that the xm-l2 is relatively new product.

The light doesn't seem to have a lot of surface area, no fins, to dissipate heat.

mtbr member
    What are the thoughts on this light?http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021404

Is the "XM-L2 U2" a misprint? I'm interested in an L2-U2 setup, but I haven't even seen clones for a 2x yet with that emitter bin.
    Wow. I just took a look at these over on Kaidomain. Kaidomain has a couple versions. One had some reviews of the "stepless modes" that I found VERY INTERESTING.
    The ad's list three modes but also say, "stepless" which is a bit confusing. One of the reviewers explained how it worked. According to him each mode is infinitely programmable ( lowest to highest ). I assume once you have them set that they hold their setting. If this is the case I would LOVE TO HAVE ONE!. YES, IF THESE ARE XM-L2'S EVEN BETTER.

Dang it. I just ordered an SS X2 last night. I'd love to try one of these "Stepless" set-ups out.

( steel, About the Hi-Max we talked about earlier....operates by activating one LED at a time for mode changes, ...no LED voltage indicators. D/X asked if I wanted to review the lamp but I told them no. Not enough features to make it worth my time. )

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wow. I just took a look at these over on Kaidomain. Kaidomain has a couple versions. One had some reviews of the "stepless modes" that I found VERY INTERESTING.
    The ad's list three modes but also say, "stepless" which is a bit confusing. One of the reviewers explained how it worked. According to him each mode is infinitely programmable ( lowest to highest ). I assume once you have them set that they hold their setting. If this is the case I would LOVE TO HAVE ONE!. YES, IF THESE ARE XM-L2'S EVEN BETTER.

Dang it. I just ordered an SS X2 last night. I'd love to try one of these "Stepless" set-ups out.

( steel, About the Hi-Max we talked about earlier....operates by activating one LED at a time for mode changes, ...no LED voltage indicators. D/X asked if I wanted to review the lamp but I told them no. Not enough features to make it worth my time. )
    Cat,

That Hi-Max lamp is sold-out at the moment. Like you though, I am very much interested in the "stepless" feature of this other lamp as well. I'm just worried about the design and the lack of info on the site about this light: circuitry? run time? brand?!? Price seems a little too good to be true, so there is that as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That programmable mode thing sound awesome!

I think sister light heat problems though.
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/Details.S020710

The one reviewer said
    Thermal bath from pill to case is quite poor, just a small lip where the pill rests, no thermal grease used on this surface.
    Sounds like the D99!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hmmmm, overall these lights have heat "problems". My skyray S6 does not heat that much during ride. The light you gave in link does not have much aluminium fins to dissipate heat - it looks smooth overall :-(

mtbr member
    Cat,

That Hi-Max lamp is sold-out at the moment. Like you though, I am very much interested in the "stepless" feature of this other lamp as well. I'm just worried about the design and the lack of info on the site about this light: circuitry? run time? brand?!? Price seems a little too good to be true, so there is that as well.
    Like all of the tri-clone set-ups heat will always be an issue. If this "other" lamp is truly running XM-L2's the lamp should be brighter than typical tri-clones and the L2' emitters are better at handling heat. With Chinese made lamps you only expect so much. Run time will likely not be so good but sometimes you get lucky and get a better battery. If you get two hours on high you made out.

The "Stepless" set-up is the real ( bang-for-the-buck ) money issue. If it works like I think it does than ( IMO ) it is worth laying the money down and rolling the dice.

I'll be sending Kaidomain an e-mail about this lamp. I have some questions to ask that only they can answer. Hopefully they will give me the answers I want to hear. At least I know the questions to ask.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Like all of the tri-clone set-ups heat will always be an issue. If this "other" lamp is truly running XM-L2's the lamp should be brighter than typical tri-clones and the L2' emitters are better at handling heat. With Chinese made lamps you only expect so much. Run time will likely not be so good but sometimes you get lucky and get a better battery. If you get two hours on high you made out.

The "Stepless" set-up is the real ( bang-for-the-buck ) money issue. If it works like I think it does than ( IMO ) it is worth laying the money down and rolling the dice.

I'll be sending Kaidomain an e-mail about this lamp. I have some questions to ask that only they can answer. Hopefully they will give me the answers I want to hear. At least I know the questions to ask.
    Thanks, Cat. Please forward along all information. Night riding season is coming up quickly and I still have to get my 2nd light situation straightened out. I'm 1/1 with Kaidomain so I'll take a (calculated) risk at this point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi-Max triple for $36 (not sure about the shipping charges)

climbing lighting head lamp bike light_Headlamp_HI-MAXMALL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post

Good link for the Hi-Max triple! Lots of info on the website as well. It does operate like the other tri-clones though with separate LED illumination for each mode. Good price and with XM-L U3 emitters- a big plus. Two hours run time on high per ad. No voltage/ run time indicators. .

@steel....I'll relay any information I get. Unfortunately I won't get an answer til next week likely as I'm writing the e-mail right now. Anyway in the mean time look over the Chinese sites. Lot's of new stuff coming out. D/X released a triple version of the SS X2 that looks interesting as well. I have questions about that lamp as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    They wrote me back very quickly. Answers to my questions from Kaidomain:

1. Is it an actual XM-L2-U2 LED?
    it is XM-L2 U2 LED.

2. What is the current draw on each mode?
    It is a stepless dimming bike light, the current for highest mode is 3A, for lowest mode is 700mA

3. How long is the run time on each mode?
    Run time for highest mode is 1.5h, for lowest mode is 3hrs

I feel like I could live with 1.5 hr run-time on High with a 'stepless' option. Gonna sleep on it and maybe order tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    2. What is the current draw on each mode?
    It is a stepless dimming bike light, the current for highest mode is 3A, for lowest mode is 700mA

3. How long is the run time on each mode?
    Run time for highest mode is 1.5h, for lowest mode is 3hrs

Those numbers don't make sense to me. If the minimum current setting is ~25% of maximum then shouldn't the run time on low be about 4X the runtime on high? Do these numbers, if correct, imply that the light is very much less efficient at the low setting than the high setting?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    For what it's worth, I have small review of such light, similar to my 7-LED review posted earlier. If anyone is interested, I can post it (either here or as separate tread, whatever is better).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    For what it's worth, I have small review of such light, similar to my 7-LED review posted earlier. If anyone is interested, I can post it (either here or as separate tread, whatever is better).
    If it is as extensive as your last review, I'd say use a separate thread. Please post a direct link to the one you tested. Look forward to reading it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, here it is:
    Triple XM-L light review

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I have Hi-Max's single U2 light( which is excellent quality). Looks like the same battery...which is a good one.
    It will power my 3x clone for about 2 hours.

I think I might try the Kaidomain stepless. Although my original 3x is working fine...it's never a bad idea to have a spare.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just placed my order for the Kaidomain 3 x XM-L2-U2 w/ stepless feature. I have their email stating 1.5 hours on High so if I get less than that or the light appears (significantly) under-powered I will take issue. Look forward to see what this unit can do. It will be going on the bar. http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021404

mtbr member
    I just placed my order for the Kaidomain 3 x XM-L2-U2 w/ stepless feature. I have their email stating 1.5 hours on High so if I get less than that or the light appears (significantly) under-powered I will take issue. Look forward to see what this unit can do. It will be going on the bar. http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021404
    Hey Steel, I just looked this thread up again. Sorry, I never did get around to getting in touch with K/D as I got busy and forgot about it. I still have questions so perhaps I'll still send them an email, eventually.

I really do want to know how useful the "stepless" feature will be. If they're telling you the lowest output is 700ma that would still be pretty bright considering that all LEDs are lit ( I assume ). Truthfully though there is no way to know how this will translate once you start messing with the stepless feature. I hope it works great. I'll be watching hoping for the best. Looking forward to your review.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey Steel, I just looked this thread up again. Sorry, I never did get around to getting in touch with K/D as I got busy and forgot about it. I still have questions so perhaps I'll still send them an email, eventually.

I really do want to know how useful the "stepless" feature will be. If they're telling you the lowest output is 700ma that would still be pretty bright considering that all LEDs are lit ( I assume ). Truthfully though there is no way to know how this will translate once you start messing with the stepless feature. I hope it works great. I'll be watching hoping for the best. Looking forward to your review.
    Thanks Cat. Currently waiting out the shipping. Hoping to see it by the end of next week. I'll get some reviews up as they are available. Looking fwd to your reviews of the SSX2. I still may order one with the intention of tearing it down and learning more about LED light. I can always give it to my gf (materials science PhD) who is starting to get into these lights herself. She is drawn in by their power like a moth to the flame. We gush during night rides when I put my 2X in flash mode and light up street signs 250m+ away. {Yes, I am way too spoiled at the moment}

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    New and very nice looking triple on DX
    NITEFIRE NFC-31 Cree XM-L U2 2200lm 4-Mode Cold White Headlamp for Bicycle - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Strobe mode is hidden. It has high, low and medium modes.The battery indicator is similar to a solarstorm x2. It also comes with a blue lens attachment. I'm not sure what that's for.

There's also a quattro for a few more bucks.
    NITEFIRE NFC-41 4 x Cree XM-L U2 2600lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Light Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I got my delivery attempt notice today. Trying to schedule pickup at the post office for tomorrow, but I'm having a difficult time getting my request in online.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looks like they discovered battery indication - but i like that UI on SSX2 - I think it is the best since clones arrived on the market. The lens is fixed by screws - hope the lens does not get cracked after some time. The back side with indication seems to be pretty easy to take apart if you need to fix something inside The next observation is the design of the reflector(s) - this one seems to be without the classic multi-emitter reflector pattern since there is a separate reflector for each led.

New and very nice looking triple on DX
    NITEFIRE NFC-31 Cree XM-L U2 2200lm 4-Mode Cold White Headlamp for Bicycle - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Strobe mode is hidden. It has high, low and medium modes.The battery indicator is similar to a solarstorm x2. It also comes with a blue lens attachment. I'm not sure what that's for.

There's also a quattro for a few more bucks.
    NITEFIRE NFC-41 4 x Cree XM-L U2 2600lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Light Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Picked up my new 3x light from the post office today. I ordered http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021404, and what I received was that, but it is labeled as a Manta Ray D003: Manta Ray D003 3800lm 3xCREE XML2 Led Bicycle Light Free Shipping-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com. Mine of course does have the 'stepless' feature though.

Just did some comparisons in my basement to my other unit: http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021521, which is now $5 less than I paid for it a couple months ago. My very first impression was that the 3x unit was not much brighter than the 2x, but looking closely I can see that the light is much more spread out on the 3x than the 2x. There is a smaller hot spot on the 3x unit, which I wish didn't exist because it kind of throws you off as to the brightness of the rest of the beam. This should make a great bar light, but the beam pattern might be considered ugly by others (not the smoothest transition and the very outer beam is kind of hex-shaped).

The flash mode is hidden (as is the off mode). The flash is slow and comes in at 8 flashes per 5 seconds. I should also note the the length of each flash is very brief (don't have a way to accurately measure this). This is very important to me because on the occasional road rides I use flash a lot (even during the day) and this one should be much more palatable than the normal strobe action I use on the 2x.

The 'stepless' feature is AWESOME and very easy to use. You can use it as a stand alone feature or program one of the 3 main modes. Accessing is very easy as you just hold in the UI button until it accesses the 'stepless mode' (you will know you are in stepless because it goes to the 10% setting and increases by 10% every time you press the UI button). If you want to program one of the 3 main modes, simply go to that mode and then hold the UI button until stepless is accessed (the UI will flash and the output will go to 10%). There are 10 stepless settings to choose from, so just go to the stepless setting you want and then hold the UI button until it cycles through and comes back to that main mode (you'll know you are there because now the UI will only cycle through the 3 main modes. Do that for all three main modes and you are set. I put mine at 40%, 70% and 100%.

Keep in mind this is an out of the box and indoor basement examination. I'll update this as soon as I get it on the trail. Light head weighs 180 grams and battery (with case) is 213 grams. Charging battery now, so I'll get some run times in as well. Not 100% convinced that this is L2 & U2, so I'll have to look into that as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    L2 is easy. U2, you'll never know. XML has a green base and XML-2 is white. There is no visual marking to indicate what bin the emitter is. Frankly I'd be amazed if the cheap Chinese lights were really using the premium bins.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks. Run test is not going so well. The light keeps powering down into an emergency mode for 1 minute for every 6-7 minutes of run time on high (started at minute 20). Perhaps the unit is getting overheated? It feels warm, but it's not too hot where I can't place my hand on the unit continually if I wanted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. Run test is not going so well. The light keeps powering down into an emergency mode for 1 minute for every 6-7 minutes of run time on high (started at minute 20). Perhaps the unit is getting overheated? It feels warm, but it's not too hot where I can't place my hand on the unit continually if I wanted.
    Do you have it in front of a fan?

Thanks for the info about this light. That UI is probably the best I've ever heard of for a cheap light. Programmable modes, hidden strobe, hidden off, this things has it all. So the hot spot is super tight? Is about the same as a 808E? I'm more of a fan of the larger hot spots.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    steelhmr....do all 3 LEDs stay lit in every mode?
    Or is it 1 LED for low/ 2 for Med ? 3 for high?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Do you have it in front of a fan?

Thanks for the info about this light. That UI is probably the best I've ever heard of for a cheap light. Programmable modes, hidden strobe, hidden off, this things has it all. So the hot spot is super tight? Is about the same as a 808E? I'm more of a fan of the larger hot spots.
    I had it about 3 feet from a fan running on low. I turned the fan on to medium for a period, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Eventually the light seemed to settle on 5 minutes @100% followed by 1 minute @ 10@ for the last hour. My run time review is below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    steelhmr....do all 3 LEDs stay lit in every mode?
    Or is it 1 LED for low/ 2 for Med ? 3 for high?
    All 3 LEDs are used for every mode, including flash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Run Test 1:

Temp: 70 deg with high humidity.
    Fan: 3 feet from unit run mostly on low
    Light: Run on high for entirety of test

As stated above, after the 20 minute mark of the test, the unit would power down to 10% (?) for 1 minute and then go back into 100%. This happened every 7 minutes for a few cycles, then happened every 5 minutes for the last hour or so of the test (before the unit went into emergency battery mode. Here are the results.

0-20 minutes: Run at 100%
    21-115 minutes: Unit would power down by an average of 1 minute for every 7 minutes.
    115-160 minutes: Unit ran at 10% (?) while the UI button flashed in red.

Based on the run, it seems like it would have run for 1:40 at 100% and an additional 40 minutes at 10%. The battery is at least respectable in my opinion for powering a 3x unit. Just gotta find out why the unit kept powering down. I can try another test with the fan right up against the unit, but that seems a little unrealistic. I want to see how long I can run it on high in the trails before it cuts out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If the unit seems cold or warm from the outside, perhaps there is a poor heat transfer to the alloy case (also that could be the cause of the mode switching in order to lower the heat emission). No matter if you have a fan running or not, it does not influence the result. The light should be taken apart and checked for build quality ... loosen screws,thermal paste, etc But the UI seems the best so far for a cheapo chinese light

mtbr member
    So far I like what I'm hearing. Make sure you use a fan. Some lamps will power down when they over heat.

I doubt the hotspot is as tight as an 808E. Shining around inside the house things look small. My bet is that it is just like the other triple reflector lamps. The one I have has a very nice beam pattern with a nice mix of flood and throw. The UI on these though are the deal maker.

edit: Sorry I missed the part about the fan. Could be the thermal setting is too sensitive. That might be a problem if the high mode is used too long. Could be a deal killer for some people. The next question is; "Will this happen in mid-mode"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    If the unit seems cold or warm from the outside, perhaps there is a poor heat transfer to the alloy case (also that could be the cause of the mode switching in order to lower the heat emission). No matter if you have a fan running or not, it does not influence the result. The light should be taken apart and checked for build quality ... loosen screws,thermal paste, etc But the UI seems the best so far for a cheapo chinese light
    Maybe this will be the light that I do that on. Can you post a direct link to a quality thermal paste? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So far I like what I'm hearing. Make sure you use a fan. Some lamps will power down when they over heat.

I doubt the hotspot is as tight as an 808E. Shining around inside the house things look small. My bet is that it is just like the other triple reflector lamps. The one I have has a very nice beam pattern with a nice mix of flood and throw. The UI on these though are the deal maker.

edit: Sorry I missed the part about the fan. Could be the thermal setting is too sensitive. That might be a problem if the high mode is used too long. Could be a deal killer for some people. The next question is; "Will this happen in mid-mode"?
    It's hard to describe. Yes, I really do need to get this to the trail to see how it looks against a real terrain. For a real general overview, I would say that the beam has 3 sections: 1) small semi-triangular hotspot, 2) wide flood, and 3) outer beam. There is a weird halo against the wall between the wide flood and outer beam. The flood is still very bright. It became more obvious how bright it was while comparing it to the 2x.

I will try some shorter tests with a combo of stronger fan and also other modes. In reality, I imagine myself to be using mostly Med and Low settings. High will only be for downhill or fast riding. Need to know that it will last longer than 5 minutes though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    In my country Arctic Silver or AC MX are good ones I use AC MX-2, as it lasts quite long - couple of years on a computer processor & cooler unit with 95W+ heat emission.

Maybe this will be the light that I do that on. Can you post a direct link to a quality thermal paste? Thanks.

mtbr member
    ...I will try some shorter tests with a combo of stronger fan and also other modes. In reality, I imagine myself to be using mostly Med and Low settings. High will only be for downhill or fast riding. Need to know that it will last longer than 5 minutes though.
    I hear ya. No way do you want to be doing a high speed 20-30min mountain descent with lamp on high and have it power down to 10%. That could spell big time trouble.

Another way to handle this might be to by-pass the thermal regulation circuit. The only problem is you might not be able to access it without completely disassembling the lamp. If so it might be more trouble than it's worth but then again your DIY skills might be better than mine.

Too bad you didn't get the original model sold by K/D. I figure they ran out and had to out-source a similar lamp. There was only one review on the K/D website with the original lamp. That person made no mention of there being any thermal issues. If you check that review that person left an e-mail address. You might write them to see if they had any problems with the lamp powering down. If they did maybe they had some way around the issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I hear ya. No way do you want to be doing a high speed 20-30min mountain descent with lamp on high and have it power down to 10%. That could spell big time trouble.

Another way to handle this might be to by-pass the thermal regulation circuit. The only problem is you might not be able to access it without completely disassembling the lamp. If so it might be more trouble than it's worth but then again your DIY skills might be better than mine.

Too bad you didn't get the original model sold by K/D. I figure they ran out and had to out-source a similar lamp. There was only one review on the K/D website with the original lamp. That person made no mention of there being any thermal issues. If you check that review that person left an e-mail address. You might write them to see if they had any problems with the lamp powering down. If they did maybe they had some way around the issue.
    Thanks Cat. Unfortunately, I don't have any DIY electronics skills, but I'm willing and eager to learn. My gf has a skill set that could lend itself towards figuring out a solution as well. My first course of action though is to email the company.

I believe this to be the exact same case as the pic in the K/D website, just with Manta Ray D003 written on the back. The only difference seems to be the UI with the 'stepless' feature. I had asked the company about there being no name or model associated with the light, and their reply confirmed that.

I will try some other tests including running it at 70% and measure how long it takes or if it even does cut out. I'll try to get it out on the trails for a quick demo tomorrow evening if I can, but my preference is still to ride during daylight if possible so let's see how much time/energy I have afterward.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Trying it outside, it may not step down.
    I tried a few lights earlier this year. I had one that would step down with a fan on it at room temp. But riding outside at 70 degrees on slow technical trails....it never stepped down. I would turn it off when stopped because it would get very hot on high.

mtbr member
    ... High will only be for downhill or fast riding. Need to know that it will last longer than 5 minutes though.
    steel, Here are some comments added by the reviewer who responded to my e-mail;

I've found this lamp to be brilliant. I wouldn't say that the dimming is stepless, but having 10 modes to choose 3 from is amazing, and a sensible flash instead of strobe is good too. There's not a lot of flicker in it when dimmed either. I"ve had mine overheat and dim once. (was using it during a powercut, resting on a bed and it dimmed after 15 mins when it got too hot,) but out on the trails, it gets slightly warm to touch, but I usually dim it to minimum power when I stop moving for more than a couple of minutes. Beam angle is perfect for riding.., (I usually use this light on my bars and a spot on my head, but the spot probably isn't really necessary.

When I first got the light, where the cable exits the body, too much insulation had been stripped, so I pulled it apart, trimmed and re-soldered the wires-they may have been fine without this operation, but I felt happier with a bit more protection at the pinch point where they exit the housing. There was plenty of thermal compound between the stars and the disc behind them, but none between the disc and casing, or around the retaining ring, and not a very large contact area between the disc and case. I smeared a bunch of goop all over those mating surfaces before re-assembling the light, so I can't comment on whether I'd've had any problems if I hadn't.

So far my riding has been winter in Nelson, New Zealand.., so ~+/- 5degrees celcius (23-41 Fahrenheit) and I usually only flick it onto full power for the downhills, I tend to climb firebreaks/forest roads by starlight, and slow tracks with it at ~50% so I guess it could have problems if you were to ride quite slowly with it on full, in summer, with a tail wind but it really doesn't seem to get too warm at all.

So.., after all that typing, I'd have to say if you can pull it apart and check on the thermal paste, I'd recommend it to anyone. (only criticism is I'd like a slightly warmer colour temperature, - I did notice that there was a very similar looking unit for $5 more with XML U2s in it.., whether it's the same or not , I can't be sure.., that could be still better... but I'm thrilled to bits with my one.anyway.
    additional comments;

Feel free to quote me. basically with the extra thermal paste, I'm pretty confident it would be very unlikely to overheat as long as your moving. (the only time I had it dim was indoors, on a blanket, and the case was very warm to hot to touch, and I've never felt more than a slight warmth while riding)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So far my riding has been winter in Nelson, New Zealand.., so ~+/- 5degrees celcius (23-41 Fahrenheit) and I usually only flick it onto full power for the downhills, I tend to climb firebreaks/forest roads by starlight, and slow tracks with it at ~50% so I guess it could have problems if you were to ride quite slowly with it on full, in summer, with a tail wind but it really doesn't seem to get too warm at all.
    Well I probably do more night riding when it's over 70F, so if this light is overheating indoors I don't think it will stand a chance outdoors. I can't see any light having problems at 41 F or below.

If the only problem is that it doesn't have enough thermal compound, then that's something that is easily fixable. I think the bigger issue is the transfer from the led board to the outside case. Any chance you could have a look at this steelhmr?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cat,

Thanks for passing that along. My intent was to do a quick ride again tonight to test the light, but I just did a ride with a couple of pro riders and all I feel like doing now is eating & sleeping

Well I probably do more night riding when it's over 70F, so if this light is overheating indoors I don't think it will stand a chance outdoors. I can't see any light having problems at 41 F or below.

If the only problem is that it doesn't have enough thermal compound, then that's something that is easily fixable. I think the bigger issue is the transfer from the led board to the outside case. Any chance you could have a look at this steelhmr?
    I will try to do this at some point. I am really not even sure where to start though? There is only one screw and that is to hold the mount onto the body. Could the lens cap just screw off?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Could the lens cap just screw off?
    Yes, give that a try. That's how my lights work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yes, give that a try. That's how my lights work.
    Okay, I'll try that later tonight after I make my final decision to ride or not. Need a shower and more groceries first though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Okay, I took some pics. Let me know your thoughts. Also, I noticed "Cree XML" written on them. Does this indicate no XM-L2?

New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-20130924_2146142.jpg
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-20130924_2146571.jpg
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-20130924_2147581.jpg
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-20130924_2148091.jpg
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-20130924_2148491.jpg
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-20130924_2150041.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-20130924_214614%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Okay, I took some pics. Let me know your thoughts. Also, I noticed "Cree XML" written on them. Does this indicate no XM-L2? ]
    They are XM-L2s. Compare them to this pic
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    They are XM-L2s. Compare them to this pic
    Thanks. I thought they were as much since I only noticed two bonding wires.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast