Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    In post #38 New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped I wrote

I have measured the current draw once more, but with another battery, a homemade 3P2S battery, with 6 cheap 18650 cells from DX in a holder.
    Here is what I found
    1: 0,62A
    2: 2,1A
    3: 2,6A

Quite a difference from my original measurements.

BTW the battery I used in my original measurements was not the original battery for the 3x XM-L clone light. It was a MS battery: MJ-828, the one with the display
    MJ-828-Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd

Obviously the current demand from the 3x XM-L clone light is too high even for my 3P2S battery.
    Therefore it would be interesting if somebody with access to a good bench power supply, capable of (at least) 7,6 to 8V and 4 to 5A, coluld do the same current measurements on the 3x XM-L clone light.

If I repeat my current measurements a third time I will use the battery supplied with the light.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN
    Hakan, Sounds like your homemade battery did very well. Most batteries like the MS/BR 4cell setups have a PCB that limits the output current. Out of curiosity I decided to do a quick Lux output test using both the supplied battery and my Bikeray 5200mAh battery that I used for the run time test. Surprisingly the supplied generic battery gave a slightly brighter output than the BR battery. This means the supplied battery allows a larger current pull. That probably goes far to explain why the supplied battery seems to have a shorter run time than other batteries.

All things considered, If you really wanted a good battery to run this lamp it might be a good idea to buy a Li-Po set-up. The Li-po hobby batteries are able to supply larger current pulls and can be set-up with a low voltage warning device ( Like MK96 mentioned above ).

If I really planned on using this lamp for everyday use I would buy a Li-po battery over 6000mAh and a decent hobby charger. Plug one of those low voltage warning devices into the balance leads when you go for a ride and you should be good to go. Not sure I'll really buy one as I have more than enough batteries right now

Another way to handle the battery PCB cut-off problem would be to simply buy a cheap MagicShine 2 cell battery and carry it as back up. All issues considered not a bad option. Adding to that you could also wire up a 2-male plug adapter and use it to reset the PCB on the other battery if it goes out and still has some power left. Yes, that would work real well and the 2 cell would give you enough juice on low for over two hours ( or medium for maybe 1hr. )

Hey...Whatever works best!
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 11-16-2012 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey!

I received the Mini Cree 1x XML Light. Here are some comparison shots between the 3x XML, 1x Mini and my old NiteRider Storm HID. Distance to the bike is about 55 feet.

Mini CREE LED XML XM-L T6 LED 1600Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp HeadLight headLamp | eBay

Canon SX10IS
    ISO 100
    4 Second Shutter
    F4.0 Aperture
    WB Daylight

Reference
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-reference.jpg

3x xml low
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-3xml-low.jpg

3x xml medium
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-3xmlmedium.jpg

3x xml high
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-3xmlhigh.jpg

1x xml mini low
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-minicreelow.jpg

1x xml mini high
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-minicreehigh.jpg

Niteride Storm HID (12 years old)
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-nrstormhid.jpg

Size comparison
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-img_1451.jpg
    Last edited by Mr.Grumpy; 11-17-2012 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So I ran the Mini cree's claimed 6400 mah battery on my RC charger and discharged the battery at 1 amp with a 6 volt cutoff. I pulled 3683 milliamps out of the battery in 306 minutes. Much better than the 3 x XML battery. Still not what was advertised, but expected (4400 mah pack). Something to note, sadly the connector on the Mini Cree's battery pack is different than the connector on the 3x XML battery pack. The inside positive pin is skinnier on the mini and the connector overlaps similar to a MagicShine, just not as tight. The pin in the middle is split, so if you are careful, you could expand it to tighten up the connector. As it is, it's fine I think. See the below picture.

Top - 3x XML
    Bottom - 1x Mini
    New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-top3xxml-bottom-1xmini.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did some amp draw tests on both lights.

3x XML

1x XML Mini

Charged the 1x XML Mini battery and it took 3600 milliamperes.

Anything else people want to know?
    Last edited by Mr.Grumpy; 11-25-2012 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Grump

Can you show us a picture against the tri-clone. Or next to a XML-1 clone if you have one. Want to see what the actual size is.

Thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mb,

The only lights I have are the 3 in the photo above. NR Storm, tri clone and the mini Cree. Do you want more pics of the mini beside the tri clone?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Regarding max current in the 3x XM-L light I have found a online shop that writes that the light is power limited to 15W, to avoid overheating.

I think that it makes sense, but that it is a current limitation at 2,6A.
    This current limitation could be one of the reasons why the difference in light output between mid and high is so small, evan with a good battery.

I still think that it would be interesting if somebody with a good bench power supply,coluld do some current measurements on the 3x XM-L clone light.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Regarding max current in the 3x XM-L light I have found a online shop that writes that the light is power limited to 15W, to avoid overheating.

This current limitation could be one of the reasons why the difference in light output between mid and high is so small, evan with a good battery.

I still think that it would be interesting if somebody with a good bench power supply,coluld do some current measurements on the 3x XM-L clone light.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN
    Perhaps, but common sense tells me that regardless, you aren't going to notice a really big jump in output between two XM-L's and three XM-L's. It is noticeable but just barely.
    That's just the way the eyes work. The brighter the light, the more output that is needed to see a significant difference in intensity. Eye sight is not linear in nature. Thank God for that because if it was all of us would be blinded the first time the sun came up. Now if the difference was between 2 and 4 XML's then yes, there would be a much more obvious jump in intensity.

Now if the lamp were wired differently so that all the LED's were lit for all three modes you could have the modes set so that there were more notable increases in intensity for the last two modes. For a three mode lamp with a 1200 to 1300 lumen output a good mode choice would be > low ( 250 lumen ) medium ( 500 lumen ) high ( 1300 lumen ).

On a side note my Gloworm X2 works almost the same way except both LED's are always on. Still when using the trail programme there is not much difference in intensity between the mid-mode and high mode. Once a lamp gets to the 800 lumen level you almost have to go into the 2000 lumen range to see a really big difference. At least that's my take on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Hey Grump

Can you show us a picture against the tri-clone. Or next to a XML-1 clone if you have one. Want to see what the actual size is.

Thx
    Hey Mb.

Here are some more pictures of the mini compared to the 3x XML Tri-Clone. Is that what you wanted?

New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-1.jpg

New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-2.jpg

New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-3.jpg

New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The seller for the 3x XML Tri-Clone has agreed to send me a replacement battery at no charge as the first battery is no where near the rated 6400 mah. I can only pull 2300 mah out of it.

Store: zhixingstarshop88. Seller: rabbitword88

I'm hoping the replacement battery is closer to the output that the 1x Mini Cree battery puts out (3700 mah). This battery is in line with a 4400 mah pack, not a 6400 mah pack.

I've asked them to test the battery on a tri-clone before shipping it out. I told them "if" it's a 6400 mah battery, they should be able to run the light on high for over 2 hours. I'm not holding my breath as I know the cells are to new and expensive for them to be including them to make a 6400 mah pack.

I'll report back once I receive the new battery.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    common sense tells me that regardless, you aren't going to notice a really big jump in output between two XM-L's and three XM-L's. It is noticeable but just barely.
    I agree, of course.

But I was mainly thinking about the minimal increase in current between Mid and High that I measured in the post above
    New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped
    1: 0,62A
    2: 2,1A
    3: 2,6A
    0,5A increase is only about 3-4W

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

Let's Ride!
    for my laymen ass..........I ran the 3x 3600 lumen with the stock 4400 battery in my kitchen.....it ran for 1 hour 26 minutes before it shut off.......it was VERY hot (i'm guessing while riding it will be better......I plugged the battery back into the charger for one second and got another 20 minutes........I'll try it again for fun and see if it's close again.......
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thx

It does look to be a bit smaller than a 1 XML clone. Hard to tell tho. What do your eyes see Cat.

MB

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thx

It does look to be a bit smaller than a 1 XML clone. Hard to tell tho. What do your eyes see Cat.

MB
    How about this!

Similar height to a C cell, similar diameter to a D cell.

New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-top-mini-c-d.jpg

New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-side-mini-c-d.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am going to buy an adjustable power supply, but in January, so I cannot make test earlier :-(

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep, pretty small. I'll put the regular XML-1 clone next to C & D batteries and see if the mini is smaller. Might be just a touch smaller but not much.

How do you like the output of it. Spot it looks like. Does it out throw the XML-3 clone.

MB

mtbr member
    Haaah!! Cat, you crack me up.

When I was at ye olde NiteRider the legendary Classic and Digital Pro dual beam systems had the same functionality, only when the system was on high did you have a spot and a wide angle lens putting light to the ground.

Funny how in the quest to drive prices down we've regressed to 90's functionality concepts.
    Michael DiSano
    Baja Designs Inc.
    (760)560-2252
    www.BajaDesigns.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Haaah!! Cat, you crack me up.

When I was at ye olde NiteRider the legendary Classic and Digital Pro dual beam systems had the same functionality, only when the system was on high did you have a spot and a wide angle lens putting light to the ground.

Funny how in the quest to drive prices down we've regressed to 90's functionality concepts.
    Shannon, next time please quote me so I know what you are referring to. Then maybe I can laugh too. ...Otherwise I end up sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out the reference.

MB....Sorry about my last post. I thought you were asking a question about the tri-clone. I see now that you were asking about the mini single XML lamp. No I don't have one of those but those have been around a while. I think the brand most associated with the mini is "Marsfire".

This is why I hate it when people start talking about different clone lamps in a thread for one specific clone. Real easy to get confused if the light in question is not spelled out in black and white.

Anyway, the Marsfire single XM-L mini- type should work well. I was going to buy one myself a while back but so far no one has given it a decent 3-mode plus flash driver. Should make a good helmet light if the beam pattern is similar to the 808E.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any one really get this thing cracked open yet? I was planing a 2x xml bar light with 8 cells and a B3flex driver. This might be cheaper to buy then sourcing out all the parts i need. It has 3 xml already and a nice housing. For led, optics and holder im near the 50 bucks right off the start. With a new driver I can ditch the crappy modes and run 3 amps if needed.

But I wonder if the taskled driver will fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is why I hate it when people start talking about different clone lamps in a thread for one specific clone. Real easy to get confused if the light in question is not spelled out in black and white.
    Sorry Cat. It wasn't my intention to hijack the thread with the Mini Cree light. I only posted it as others showed interest and it's all I had for comparison to the 3x XML Tri-Clone, other than the aging NiteRider Storm.

Anyway, the Marsfire single XM-L mini- type should work well. I was going to buy one myself a while back but so far no one has given it a decent 3-mode plus flash driver. Should make a good helmet light if the beam pattern is similar to the 808E.
    Beam pattern of the mini is posted above, compared to the 3x XML Tri-Clone.

How do you like the output of it. Spot it looks like. Does it out throw the XML-3 clone.MB
    I'll be riding tonight for the first time with both lights. At this point I'm not sure if it out throws the 3x XML, from the photos, I believe they are similar, since one is a flood, the other a spot. But from the photos, the distance they give light, I don't think it's going to matter! Compared to what I'm coming from, an aging NiteRider Storm and for the cost, I don't think I'll be unhappy tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Any one really get this thing cracked open yet? I was planing a 2x xml bar light with 8 cells and a B3flex driver. This might be cheaper to buy then sourcing out all the parts i need. It has 3 xml already and a nice housing. For led, optics and holder im near the 50 bucks right off the start. With a new driver I can ditch the crappy modes and run 3 amps if needed.

But I wonder if the taskled driver will fit.
    I forget where I saw it but someone did manage to get one of these open. I remember the part the held the driver is attached to the front and completely enclosed the driver. Not saying it can't be done but unless you get those two halves apart I can't see someone messing around with the driver or internal wiring.

I bought mine hoping for the same as what you posted. Hopefully in the future one of the vendors will see the usefulness of the output and sell an upgraded version with a better mode menu. With better modes, a better battery and some fail-safe circuitry I'd be willing to pay at least another $40 for one of these.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    @MrGrumpy, you should start a thread on that mini cree. I think there's enough interest in it to warrent it's own thread (I know I'm interested in it), and since you're the only one I know that has one yet, who better to start that thread

@Cat, it's interesting to see how quickly the manufactures respond to feedback. I see now that several of these 3xml clones are coming with 6 cell battery packs. Not saying whether they are quality packs or not, but just that manufacturers are responding to complaints is good to see.

Also, a lot of the cheapy lights from China are now making it so you have to push the button for an extended time to get to the strobe/flash modes. So they are listening, which I think is great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am looking at this light too on eBay/amazon. 3x Cree XML t6. I just started trail riding and need a really bright light for around this price so I can still ride when it gets dark here in the northeast around 3pm

Couple of questions. Why are they so much cheaper than other brands that have the same Cree lights and batteries? Do I need to buy anything else with this (action wide angle lens, different battery pack,etc). How come the exact same light has different batteries and lumens listed by different sellers? A link to the best one would be appreciated. :-)

Sorry for all the noob questions...just started biking this summer and don't want it to end!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lethalsvt View Post
    I am looking at this light too on eBay/amazon. 3x Cree XML t6. I just started trail riding and need a really bright light for around this price so I can still ride when it gets dark here in the northeast around 3pm

Couple of questions. Why are they so much cheaper than other brands that have the same Cree lights and batteries? Do I need to buy anything else with this (action wide angle lens, different battery pack,etc). How come the exact same light has different batteries and lumens listed by different sellers? A link to the best one would be appreciated. :-)

Sorry for all the noob questions...just started biking this summer and don't want it to end!!
    Quite honestly, I'd advise you to look at something different. Unless your rides are only an hour or less, you're going to need a different battery. And once you add that cost in, you may as well go with something else.

I'd suggest going with 2 single XML lights, one for bars, one for helmet, each with their own battery pack. You'll get up to about 3 hours run time and have plenty of light (not to mention running 2 lights is always better then 1 incase one fails or you crash and break one).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lethalsvt View Post

I'm a noob, but I'll try to answer that question since I've been researching and trying to decide on a light set up. They are so much cheaper because they

don't have the same battery packs. the battery packs have cheaper cells, aren't put together as well, don't have as many mah as the more expensive, don't have as nice of cases etc.

While they may have the same LED's they don't have as high of quality drivers, often don't warn you when the battery pack is getting low, aren't fabricated with a much quality control.

The companys are often difficult to communicate with, and don't stand behind their product as well.

That being said I will probably buy a couple of clones, but am having a hard time making a decision.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast