Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    I ordered one of these from a US seller on ebay for $48.50 on tuesday, got it in the mail today. Haven't ridden with it yet, but it doesn't seem to be brighter than the 1x XM-L chinese clone I picked up for $37 from tomtop, at least in a side by side on the wall. The 1x has an OP refelector but seems to be more of a spot, so the brightness might be subjective. It's raining here in socal so I probably won't get to test it's prowess at night till next week. Connectors are interchangeable between the two lights. 3X seems to be much warmer to the touch than the 1x after just 1 minute of run. I'm wondering if I might have just been better off with 2 of the 1x clones for a bar and helment combo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    hkenshin, there must be a problem then, because the difference will be very noticeable.
    I also have a single XML clone, and this light on medium (2 LEDs) is much brighter!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    As a first time poster I couldn't attach pics & links to this. For pictures of my 3x XM-L taken apart, have a look at my "user gallery."
    After reviewing some of the DIY lights & costs involved I decided it was hard to beat $50. inc. shipping for a 3x XM-L. I was using an old school 1990's BLT w/2x10w bulbs, it utilized a 6v SLA battery housed in a water bottle but I converted my SONY Li-ion camcorder batteries to work with it after the SLA went south. The old 10w (xenon?) bulbs are very bright but are getting hard to find around here. I was going to convert the old BLT's to LED but I was concerned the plastic housing might retain too much heat.
    So I ordered the 3x XM-L T6 from ebay, received mine the other day from Hong Kong. Took about a month. My observations so far:

-2x XM-L is enough, they are very, very bright. You won't need the 3rd one much but hey. it's there! Also an excellent light for emergencies (like when the big one hits), the strobe feature can probably be seen from outer space. I found the strobe too bright to use on a dark trail, these lights are blinding. Remember that when someone is coming towards you from the opposite direction. I did find it more difficult to discern depth of field compared to my old BLT's, as the LED's used are a bright white.

-The lights from China are all pretty similar, many share the same parts just the housing designs are a bit different (wish I had a CNC machine to play with). What look like rivets on the back of mine are just decorative indentations. For the amount of light they produce the form factor is conveniently small.

-If you need longer lasting batteries just carry an extra pack, they are cheap enough ($20. on ebay for 4400mAh, same pack that came with my light).

-For most folks the mount should be O.K. They will move a bit on rough trails though, applying textured tape to the bar might help as will mounting them upside down. I like the idea of them being removable (and you can adjust the angle while you ride), but they are a PITA to take off when your fingers are cold! Just use a pen or something to pry the band loose. I have not tried the helmet mount.

So there you go. I felt they were plenty bright, & battery usage seems O.K.so far, just keep it on 1x or 2x setting. They are relatively cheap, super bright, heck a single cree XM-L T6 is enough for the average commuter. I just use my "frog LED" when I'm on city streets & now I don't have to worry about unlit trails once I turn this little beast on. For more hard core trail riders two of these should be sufficient, try one on the bar & one on the helmet. One can always engineer a sturdier mount for them. Probably going to refit my reef aquarium with LED's now, too. Hope this helps.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Just an update, took them out for a ride on Friday. The 3x is way brighter than the 1x clone. In fact the 1x almost gets lost in flood even on medium. Like others have said in the thread, not much diff between med and high. The strobe as a mandatory to cycle through is annoying but oh we'll. Also it's not to heavy to helmet mount. For the price, not much to complain about other than the questionable quality of the batteries and the bar mount as others have said. I'll try some of the tape to see if it stays put. I think this is a better value than the 1x clone for ~$15 more

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    Just an update, took them out for a ride on Friday. The 3x is way brighter than the 1x clone. In fact the 1x almost gets lost in flood even on medium. Like others have said in the thread, not much diff between med and high. The strobe as a mandatory to cycle through is annoying but oh we'll. Also it's not to heavy to helmet mount. For the price, not much to complain about other than the questionable quality of the batteries and the bar mount as others have said. I'll try some of the tape to see if it stays put. I think this is a better value than the 1x clone for ~$15 more
    Yes, hard to beat the price of the triple. Still the single XML clones are better for the helmet as they tend to have a more narrow beam pattern.

Fightnut, The battery that you linked to looks like a good value. If it is listed as 5200mAh then it should use 4 x 2600mAh cells in the battery. Of course the only way to really know what cells are used in the battery is to buy the battery and take off the shrink wrap....not something most people are really willing to do. Unless the vendor tells you the brand of the battery and the brand is something like Samsung, Sanyo or Panasonic you just buy based off the mAh listing and just go at face value. For the record, the Bak cells while not the best are not bad and worth the asking price.

**Action LED also sells a 5200mAh battery that is not too expensive but also has added shipping cost. **correction, used to have a 5200mAh battery that was not too expensive.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 11-11-2012 at 05:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was trying to find a comparison of 3x Cree XML T6 discussed above against these two models:

- CREE XM-L T6 LED Light + 2 XPE R2 LED (amazon.co.uk/eLifeStore%C2%AE-HeadLamp-HeadLight-Waterproof-Rechargeable/dp/B007W96KA6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1352666549&sr=8-12)

- CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle Headlight 3 Modes 3800 Lumens (amazon.co.uk/Highly-T6-Bicycle-Headlight-battery/dp/B00A3C5280/ref=sr_1_22?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1352566238&sr=1-22)

I spent last 2 hours looking for a side-by-side comparison or at least a decent review but no luck so far. Can anyone please comment on that? Which one would you go for?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I bought one of these about a month ago and have been so impressed with its brightness, and runtimes that I bought 2 more for friends for X-mas.
    3800Lm Bicycle 3X XML T6 LEDs Bike Front Light Lamp Torch 6400mAh Battery | eBay

I also have a 1800 Gemini Olympia which is my go to light as it's very reliable, lightweight, and programmable, but the eBay light is a little brighter, not much, maybe 2000 lumens and has a 3 hour run time. The battery is a 6400 mah battery inside an aluminum case with a carry pack for a bike. For $70 bucks it's an absolute steal. It's not 3600 lumens, but it is bright enough for downhill usage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these guts on Ebay for $47 and should have in 3 days (US Seller) maybe 7 but who cares...

Anyway, regarding batterues. ANyone have alink ot the OEM batteries these come with? Looking to see if it is cheaper to just get a couple of those or go with the one listed above (Xeccon) i think.

Thanks!

tom
    Spot SS
    Niner Jet9
    Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ral83178 View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these guts on Ebay for $47 and should have in 3 days (US Seller) maybe 7 but who cares...

Anyway, regarding batterues. ANyone have alink ot the OEM batteries these come with? Looking to see if it is cheaper to just get a couple of those or go with the one listed above (Xeccon) i think.

Thanks!

tom
    Because the subject of "What cells are used" in this battery/light combo keeps coming up I decided to open the shrink wrap on mine to take a look. Not encouraging to say the least. There are no markings on the blue colored cells. This tells me that the battery builder has repackaged the cells with their own covering. Sometimes you can remove these coverings but to do so you have to completely dismantle the cells from the PCB and the glue that is holding it all together and then surgically try to remove the wrappers on the cells. Sorry but I'm not willing to go that far.

For the record, if the cells were quality cells there would be no reason to cover-over the OEM markings on the cells. At least that is my take on it. I remember ( years ago ) someone dismantled a battery like this and discovered that the battery was made with recycled cells. Not saying this is the case here but it is a possibility. Lets just say that in the future I'll not be using this battery until I do some more testing to see how it holds up over time. For those who want a better battery I suggest buying from one of the vendors who will back their product ( and have technical information on the battery ).

Please, if you have comments about another cheap e-bay clone lamp; please, start a new thread. Posting all the links to different ebay lamps is confusing and distracting to the original subject matter of the thread. If you want to post up or comment about another lamp it would be better to start a new thread ( so everyone knows what lamp is being talked about ) Thanks...

mtbr member

Xeccon 6600mAh batteries for US customers

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    When compairing batteriy prices, don't forget Xeccon has a flat rate shipping charge of $20.
    Mole
    In the interest of reducing shipping cost and promoting Xeccon 6600mAh batteries, we are arranging limited number of these batteries in Neoprene pouch as pictured shipped to Bloomington IN this week.

This offer is for US customers only. Price is USD 49.00 including USPS delivery. Xeccon 6600mAh Battery Special

The batteries are available for shipping Monday Nov 19 onwards and come with 6 month warranty. Please use appropriate chargers. If unsure please contact us.

Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So I think I've narrowed it down to 2 options for a replacement/upgrade battery for this triple XML. Any input is appreciated.

For myself, my average night ride is around 2 to 2.5 hrs, but minus the re-grouping and standing around gabbing (which I always turn my lights off for), the actual time the lights would be on is around 1.5 to 2 hours.

Since this light isn't much different from medim (2 leds) to high (3 leds), I would most likely have it on medium most of the time.

So as you can see, I'm not asking for crazy long run times.

With that in mind, which would better?

1. Xeccon's 6 cell, 6600mAh, which should give me plenty of run time, $50 (delivered),

2. Magicshines 4 cell with Samsung cells at 5600mAh for around $57 (delivered).

Ideally, I'd prefer the smaller more compact 4 cell set up. But the question is, is a 4 cell really enough for this light?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    You guys with both single and triple XM-L lights, what do you think which combo would do the job best for for trail/offroad riding at night:

1. Single 3 x XM-L light for ~$50
    2. Two single XM-L clones* for ~$60
    3. 3 x XM-L + single XM-L clone for ~$80

*One of them perhaps should have wide angle lens installed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bobale View Post
    You guys with both single and triple XM-L lights, what do you think which combo would do the job best for for trail/offroad riding at night:
    Option 3 would be my choice. 3 x XM-L on medium (2 hours runtime) as a bar light, and 1 x XM-L on high (3 hours runtime) as a helmet light should be plenty of light.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. My first proper bike lamp is on the way (single XM-L clone), so I'll be forced to ride with it only for some time. I'll probably invest in another lamp next year as I won't get much riding year as winter is coming here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity123 View Post
    Option 3 would be my choice. 3 x XM-L on medium (2 hours runtime) as a bar light, and 1 x XM-L on high (3 hours runtime) as a helmet light should be plenty of light.
    Problem is, the 3 xm-l isn't getting 2 hours on medium (at least not the one being discussed in this thread).
    Aside from that, I would agree with you that option 3 is best (just need to upgrade to a higher capacity battery).

mtbr member
    That wouldn't be a problem, I already have some 2S 5000mAh LiPo batteries laying around, so I may as well use them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    In the interest of reducing shipping cost and promoting Xeccon 6600mAh batteries, we are arranging limited number of these batteries in Neoprene pouch as pictured shipped to Bloomington IN this week.

This offer is for US customers only. Price is USD 49.00 including USPS delivery. Xeccon 6600mAh Battery Special

The batteries are available for shipping Monday Nov 19 onwards and come with 6 month warranty. Please use appropriate chargers. If unsure please contact us.

Leonard
    Thanks for the great offer. I've been using a red action wide angle lens in a Titan lighthead for a rear light alot lately. It's super bright but using one battery and a Y cable I'm pushing it to get two afterwork rides(25 mi.) on a battery charge. As the days get shorter a larger percentage of the ride is in the dark and it will be nice to have the extra battery capacity. Your efforts are appreciated! I justy placed my order.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Thanks for the great offer. I've been using a red action wide angle lens in a Titan lighthead for a rear light alot lately. It's super bright but using one battery and a Y cable I'm pushing it to get two afterwork rides(25 mi.) on a battery charge. As the days get shorter a larger percentage of the ride is in the dark and it will be nice to have the extra battery capacity. Your efforts are appreciated! I justy placed my order.
    Mole
    Thanks Mr.Mole. The Xeccon 6600 should do you fine. I ride with 2 of these batteries on the bike. They don't seem much bigger visually than the 4400s. 33% more capacity for 100 grams more is a good trade off. I am getting good runtimes considering the stuff they are powering.

For the record, it has identical runtimes with the Magicshine MJ-6036 battery since they are both BAK cells inside.

As mentioned in the order update, the batteries will be ready for dispatch from next Monday.

Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think there is a small difference in weight between Skyray S6 and this clone and they work about the same way. Only Skyray S6 is from some reason more expensive

mtbr member
    I did a run time test ( on high ) with my Tri-Clone lamp tonight using a 4 cell 5200mAh ( BAK ) Bikeray battery. While doing the test I noticed that my tri-clone light head did not have any of the usual " LED power level displays". ( ie...no green to blue to red led indicators ).
    At exactly the two hour mark the light went out. There was no flash warning. Just out after two hours. I thought this strange because the lamp was still quite bright however the lamp would not come back on.

At this point I figured the battery PCB had triggered the turn off circuit so I reset the battery by plugging it in to the charger for a moment. After that the light came back on and I ran it another half hour on the single LED low setting before it once again turned off via the battery cut-off circuit.

In summary it should be noted that a 5200mAh 4-cell battery can run this lamp on high close to 2hrs. Since there are no warnings from this clone lamp head it would be smart to run the lamp on high no more than 1hr and 45 min. ( or medium more than 2hrs ) After that you have another half hour of light if run on low. All things considered if you are using a 5200mAh battery with this lamp you will have to keep an eye on your watch. If you accidentally trigger the battery PCB you will be without light even if the battery has enough juice to power the low level for another half hour. You can't reset the battery without the charger so be forewarned. Even if you mix the power settings I wouldn't plan on running the light more than 2.5hours just to be on the safe side.

Now as to the supplied battery from the seller; I have a feeling the run times will be much shorter.

*Edit: Another way to reset a battery might be to take a MS type male plug and wire it to a 9 volt radio battery. If the main battery cuts out plug the 9volt into the main battery for a moment and it should reset. Not sure if this would work but if you are into longer rides and own this light it might work. Luckily when you turn the light on it always starts up in low.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 11-13-2012 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I did a run time test ( on high ) with my Tri-Clone lamp tonight using a 4 cell 5200mAh ( BAK ) Bikeray battery. While doing the test I noticed that my tri-clone light head did not have any of the usual " LED power level displays". ( ie...no green to blue to red led indicators ).
    At exactly the two hour mark the light went out. There was no flash warning. Just out after two hours. I thought this strange because the lamp was still quite bright however the lamp would not come back on.

At this point I figured the battery PCB had triggered the turn off circuit so I reset the battery by plugging it in to the charger for a moment. After that the light came back on and I ran it another half hour on the single LED low setting before it once again turned off via the battery cut-off circuit.

Now as to the supplied battery from the seller; I have a feeling the run times will be much shorter.

*Edit: Another way to reset a battery might be to take a MS type male plug and wire it to a 9 volt radio battery. If the main battery cuts out plug the 9volt into the main battery for a moment and it should reset. Not sure if this would work but if you are into longer rides and own this light it might work. Luckily when you turn the light on it always starts up in low.
    Cat,

Thanks for all your input. My first post, but earlier reading convinced me to order this same tri-clone ($48.63 delivered) (my first light) and I have 2 rides and 2 work sessions with it under me. I'm totally happy with the brightness but a noob. As others have said not much difference between med. & high, but like you said, there is no warning when it goes off, it's off and done until reconnected to the charger. Thanks for the 9 volt tip, might have to try that until I get a 2nd battery.

My first ride (w/ the original battery) was right at 100 minutes and in the pouring rain. I had no problems with connectors, but it was a linear trail so I was able to use it on low for a good portion of the ride, medium was more than enough except in thick fog w/ rain at higher speed (30+ mph). At those points more light didn't really help. The head band set up doesn't work well at all since the light size is too big to rotate forward, but works great for tying your shoes! The handle bar mount works OK but perhaps some grip tape or inner tube like others have said would stop any movement.

Since my light only turned off during one work session, the thing I noticed is that if left connected, the battery seems to drain enough to keep it from turning on later. I don't know if that is common, bad design, or just defective. It seems too coincidental that both times I left the battery connected, it wouldn't turn on later, even though it was fine when I turned it off. Don't know if you can test for this, but thought I would pass it on, as it could be really inconvenient to charge it, connect it and have it not work the next day without using it. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Regarding missing alarm I have posted some gadgets that should do it from ebay here.

mtbr member
    May 2007

New current measurements

In post #38 New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped I wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    I measured the battery current draw in my 3x XM-L light:
    1: 0,62A (5W)
    2: 1,67A (13W)
    3: 1,95A (19W)
    I have measured the current draw once more, but with another battery, a homemade 3P2S battery, with 6 cheap 18650 cells from DX in a holder.
    Here is what I found
    1: 0,62A
    2: 2,1A
    3: 2,6A

Quite a difference from my original measurements.

BTW the battery I used in my original measurements was not the original battery for the 3x XM-L clone light. It was a MS battery: MJ-828, the one with the display
    MJ-828-Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd

Obviously the current demand from the 3x XM-L clone light is too high even for my 3P2S battery.
    Therefore it would be interesting if somebody with access to a good bench power supply, capable of (at least) 7,6 to 8V and 4 to 5A, coluld do the same current measurements on the 3x XM-L clone light.

If I repeat my current measurements a third time I will use the battery supplied with the light.

/HŚkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey!

So I received my 3 XML yesterday. Looks good and I agree the high isn't worth it. Makes me wonder if this light would be a good option, any takers?

2800Lm 2x CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Flashlight Headlamp Light | eBay

I charged the battery up with my Turnigy RC charger. Charged it at 1 AMP and it took 1358 milliamps in 156 minutes. Next up, I ran it through a discharge cycle setting the charger to 1 AMP with a cut off of 6 volts. In reality, it discharged at 0.7 amps and trickled down. It took 180 minutes and it pulled 2113 milliamps out of the pack. I repeated this test with another RC charger and this time it took 2309 out in 197 minutes. My seller claimed the battery was 6400 mah. This clearly isnít the case which was expected from pervious burn time results and user comments in this thread. But I was hopingÖ Iíve emailed the seller asking whatís up, weíll see what they say.

I'm still waiting to receive the other light I ordered, the mini cree one with the same claimed 6400 mah pack (different seller).

Fun stuff!

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
    Hey!

So I received my 3 XML yesterday. Looks good and I agree the high isn't worth it. Makes me wonder if this light would be a good option, any takers?

2800Lm 2x CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Flashlight Headlamp Light | eBay

I charged the battery up with my Turnigy RC charger. Charged it at 1 AMP and it took 1358 milliamps in 156 minutes. Next up, I ran it through a discharge cycle setting the charger to 1 AMP with a cut off of 6 volts. In reality, it discharged at 0.7 amps and trickled down. It took 180 minutes and it pulled 2113 milliamps out of the pack. I repeated this test with another RC charger and this time it took 2309 out in 197 minutes. My seller claimed the battery was 6400 mah. This clearly isnít the case which was expected from pervious burn time results and user comments in this thread. But I was hopingÖ Iíve emailed the seller asking whatís up, weíll see what they say.

I'm still waiting to receive the other light I ordered, the mini cree one with the same claimed 6400 mah pack (different seller).

Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast