Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    At least the seller is going to replace so that is good. All things considered, I think it would of been better to contact the seller first before disassembling the light.
    Having purchase items from DX and there lack of customer service with responding to issues . I figured i was going to get the same treatment from the eBay seller, since he's in China and the language barrier. Only time will tell if I'm made whole, but it's a step in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I purchased mine on September 26th, marked shipped on Spetember 28th. According to HK Post it was shipped on October 26th, a month later! Seller has all sorts of explanations from 10-day national holidays, to vote for new prime minister and so on.

Seller advises if the light will not arrive by November 15th, they will resend or issue a refound. Problem is I can report it to ebay by November 9th, otherwise its not their problem.

Anyone else has/had similar issue?

Chris.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    I purchased mine on September 26th, marked shipped on Spetember 28th. According to HK Post it was shipped on October 26th, a month later! Seller has all sorts of explanations from 10-day national holidays, to vote for new prime minister and so on.

Seller advises if the light will not arrive by November 15th, they will resend or issue a refound. Problem is I can report it to ebay by November 9th, otherwise its not their problem.

Anyone else has/had similar issue?

Chris.
    Hi Chris, I mentioned this last week in another post. Due to security concerns during the Peoples' Congress choosing the new President and Premier, the Chinese Government has banned Li-ion batteries flying out of China for a month - they do not want Li-ion airborne. Don't ask me about the logic of it but policies are policies. This has been going on for the past 3 weeks. We have not been able to send anything (except lights without batteries) from our China office. It is our understanding Li-ion will be ok to fly after Nov 15th.

Anecdotal evidence suggest some are able to get out. I don't know how they did it though, maybe through HK. Before this was the Autumn Festival holidays which was 10 days. Talk about disruption.

Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Chris, I'd file a dispute with eBay. If the seller makes good on getting it to you, then eBay will just close the dispute, but at least get the process started so you're covered.

I paid for mine on Oct 22nd, it shipped the same day. It arrived in the US Nov 2nd, I suspect I'll have it Mon or Tues (Nov 5th - 6th).
    I just hope mine works properly because a friend had me order one for him also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Hi Chris, I mentioned this last week in another post. Due to security concerns during the Peoples' Congress choosing the new President and Premier, the Chinese Government has banned Li-ion batteries flying out of China for a month - they do not want Li-ion airborne. Don't ask me about the logic of it but policies are policies. This has been going on for the past 3 weeks. We have not been able to send anything (except lights without batteries) from our China office. It is our understanding Li-ion will be ok to fly after Nov 15th.

Anecdotal evidence suggest some are able to get out. I don't know how they did it though, maybe through HK. Before this was the Autumn Festival holidays which was 10 days. Talk about disruption.

Leonard
    I've heard DHL is still working, or maybe it's DHL Express.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What seller/store did you people use for your lights?

I used:
    rabbitword88 for the 3x CREE XM-L
    cyberport888 for the Mini CREE LED XM-L

Neither provided tracking information which I thought seemed odd, but both are marked as shipped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I've heard DHL is still working, or maybe it's DHL Express.
    DHL is sending items from China except items containing Li-ion inside. When we send Li-ion batteries we must declare it. Li-ion stickers will be placed on a parcel by the carrier. Since Li-ion can't fly at this time, it gets held back. If DHL puts them on a plane, they are in breach of a security policy and they won't do that.

Li-ion products that got out in the past 3 weeks are either stock from HK or have been brought across to HK then flew from there. Anyway the backlog will be start clearing in about 10 days from now.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    I have just returned from Shenzen with a canny collection of lights to test:

Tri-clone - 25GBP
    Fluxient 1xU2 - 1000 lumens - 60GBP
    Fluxient 4xR5 - 1600 lumens - 90GBP
    Fluxient 3xXML-U2 3000 lumens - 130GBP

The tri-clone was from the famous Lo Wu Commercial City (home of snide copy tat from Rolex to Ugg boots) the fluxient units where purchased direct from mnfr and prices mentioned are retail not trade as I paid. (Can be purchased as "samples" by punters! Just requires a bit of home work and charm!)

Off out tonight for testing/comparisons. Initial test on tri-clone give 1hr20mins on full power. Not bad. If the mid mode gives pro-rata burn time (min 2hr) then I'll be very happy as has been mentioned previously very little difference in output.

The fluxient units are rightly so much better quality build, light output is magnificent too. The 1xU2 has a tremendous spot beam pattern for perfect helmet use. The 3000 lumen unit is not conceivable brighter than the 1600 lumen unit to justify extra cost and size.

I will post some shots later as very interested to make comparisons as may some of you guys I'm sure? Only iPhone pic's but better than nothing?
    Steed: Yeti SB-66

Support the Air Ambulance service in your region you never know when you might need it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mine arrived today, just about 2 weeks from time of ordering. They're charging now, so I can't comment on the performance yet, but I thought I'd post some details about the size/weight.

First of all, it's smaller than I expected. I imagined it was going to be larger based on the photos I've seen. So that's a good thing.

The lighthead (w/cord) is 134 grams. Compared to my original Magicshine 808 (with the P7) which is 127.5 grams (w/cord). Since I had read some comments saying this may be too big or heavy for helmet use, I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't think 6.5 grams would be that noticeable of a difference on the helmet.

The lighthead measures 44mm wide compared to the Magicshine 808's 43mm.
    The length is about 56mm compared to the MS808's length of about 53mm.

So, very similar size and weight.

I'll post more when I've had a chance to use it on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Heat and battery

This afternoon after voting I decided to take the 3 XML clone on a good test.

We are having more Indian Summer here in the Bay Area so I thought it would be a good test to see how this would really work in the heat. I had the vendor supplied battery fully charged.

I did the Mt Tam climb. Turned the light on full blast. On several of the climbs, never did the unit got hot. Yes, at one point it did get very warm but that was in the sun on an extended climb. Was about 80 degrees but probably warmer in the sun. The light head does indeed dissipate heat fairly well.

As far as the battery is concerned, not too good. It lasted almost exactly 1 hour on high. Then it went red and literally shut down in about a minute. There's really no warning. FYI!!

I don't know run time on medium and there is not much difference between medium and high so maybe just running this on medium is ticket. I'll report back on run time on medium unless someone else does it before me.

MB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Very interesting read here... I have gone from torches to the DX bike lights but am also thinking of going with the Lumintrek TB 1600 as they are local to me in NC

Currently i have the DX XML T6 and bought a lens from Action which really speead the light out if i was going to use as a bar light however I think that I am going to keep it for a helmet light as a spot and get a "better" light bar.

I am up in the air if I should go with this guy (3x XML T6) or the Lumintrek for $125. Sure there is a cost but there is something to be said that they are right around the corner and have a 5 year warranty although i have never has an issue with any of the DX stuff I've gotten over the past 5 years.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
    Last edited by Ral83178; 11-07-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    Spot SS
    Niner Jet9
    Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ral83178 View Post
    Very interesting read here... I have gone from torches to the DX bike lights but am also thinking of going with the Lumintrek TB 1600 as they are local to me in NC

Currently i have the DX XML T6 and bought a lens from Action which really speead the light out if i was going to use as a bar light however I think that I am going to keep it for a helmet light as a spot and get a "better" light bar.

I am up in the air if I should go with this guy (3x XML T6) or the Lumintrek for $125. Sure there is a cost but there is something to be said that they are right around the corner and have a 5 year warranty although i have never has an issue with any of the DX stuff I've gotten over the past 5 years.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
    My thoughts: I took a look at the TB-1600 from the link that you posted. After reading what the last reviewer had to say I really don't think these are any more better that the MS 872's. And speaking of such I've seen 872 clones in the sub $50 range. The TB-1600 has a choice of optics but from what the last reviewer said the lamp still lacks throw. Still, it does offer a better battery and a five year warranty ( although I doubt they will be in business that long... )

Since the TB-1600 is $125 I'd rather go with an MS 872 / 872 clone which will be less expensive or the 3x XM-L clone which is a much brighter light and can throw further. The battery that comes with the Tri-clone is likely crap but for another $45 you can always buy a spare 5200 mAh battery and use the original as back-up....and still spend less money than if you bought the TB-1600.

Not saying the TB-1600 is crap, I'm sure it will work fine. You did say you had these available to you locally. If that's so I'd ask the dealer if you can demo the light. If you like what you see and it works well with your helmet lamp just go from there. In the long run though the Tri-clone ( 3 x XM-L ) is going to be brighter, have a farther usable beam pattern range and cost less.

Master of None
    I bought the triclone from eBay. Took only about a week to show up which was nice.

It only worked on low, I took it apart and then it worked on all settings. I found that a wire to a LED was not soldered at all, just touching. It was hard to resolder! There is not much space between the reflector and the baseplate.

After soldering it works well. The reflector is scratched in spots, and the color of the "low" LED is a lot more yellow than the others. It's quite bright, about the same as my Gemini Duo, as well as the beam angle.

The connectors have a different style shroud "seal" than the Magicshine type, so the plugs aren't initially compatible. I cut the shroud off and now I can use the battery pack with the Magicshine light. On the light end I trimmed back the plastic to expose more of the plug, and it plugs in well to the Magicshine battery.

In summary quite a deal, but poor quality control.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I guess if you get one that works out of the box you should be happy.

So far, no issues w/ the light head. However, took it out tonight w/ the supplied battery, Run time on medium was 1:19. No warning this time, it just went out. The 4.4ah battery is not enough for the discharge rate or required amps needed to power this lamp. I think you need a better battery. I'll report back if the times change after several charges but I doubt run times will be better.

So far it's 1 hour on high and 1:19 on medium.

This works much better w/ the GEO 6.0 battery I have. The run time on high was well over 2 hrs w/ that battery.

Still worth the money. The light head, if it works is worth 49 bucks.

MB

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    MB, Thanks for the feedback. It's disappointing to hear that the batteries don't have very good run time. Like you said, as long as the head lasts, we can find other battery options easy enough!

Let's Ride!
    Mine arrived yesterday from China - Seller securityingstore on ebay.
    I bought the 3800Lm 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED LED Headlight Headlamp Bicycle Bike Light. I took it out in the back yard last night and it's amazing.......no idea on battery life or anything yet. I paid for it on Oct. 26th so it took about 12 days.......not bad, I may get a second one down the road.
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

Let's Ride!
    Can anyone recommend a battery upgrade and where I could purchase??
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    Can anyone recommend a battery upgrade and where I could purchase??
    Xeccon 6600mah - $45

Gemini 5200mah - $65

MagicShine 6600mah - $70

Gemini 7800mah (!!!) - $108
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Damn, I knew I should have waited to get longer term reviews on these before purchasing!, lol! (J/K, it's not that big of a deal).

So that puts me in the same boat, wanting a longer lasting battery. Twoheadsbrewery listed several, and I'm sure there are even more options out there.

The question is, what is the best option? I don't think I can bring myself to buy a $100 battery for a $50 light.

Since I don't really understand "maH's" and all that technical stuff about batteries, can someone give a realistic idea of runtimes for each of the batteries listed above?

If I can get close to 2 hrs on high, or maybe around 2.5 hrs on medium, I'd be happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would probably lean toward the Xeccon 6600mah battery. Only $45 and that would make the whole unit under $100 and you would have a back up battery w/ the supplied battery. You would probably get 2 1/2 hrs on high w/ the 6.6

The Gemini 5200mah battery will be a bit smaller but run time somewhat less.

I don't think this is a very good helmet light which is why I think the Xeccon battery especially at 45 bucks is a good fit even though it will be heavier than a 4400/5200mah. Apparently Xeccon uses BAK cells and I don't know anything about those cells. Maybe Cat or someone else does.

MB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Posted in a seperate thread but it looks like Two Heads might know this...

What is needed or is it beneficial to use RC batteries (Li po) in these lights?

They can be had pretty cheap and have pretty good output.
    Spot SS
    Niner Jet9
    Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ral83178 View Post
    Posted in a seperate thread but it looks like Two Heads might know this...

What is needed or is it beneficial to use RC batteries (Li po) in these lights?

They can be had pretty cheap and have pretty good output.
    Price was really my motivator at the time, since I already have RC batteries lying around. They're about $20 for a 4400-5000mah battery. Chargers are anywhere from $15 for cheapos to $60 for nice digital chargers that will balance out each battery cell. In addition, the RC batteries are built for high discharge (20c-40c). Using them for lights barely stresses out the batteries at all and keeps the cells pretty well in balance and they last longer.

The bad side is that RC batteries have no protection circuits within, as they typically depend on the electronic speed controller of the RC vehicle to stop the motor when it reaches a certain low voltage point. In short, that means you have to be careful to not over discharge your battery. When your light indicates low battery you need to stop using it within a few minutes or you risk bricking your battery. Not really a big deal if you're paying attention, but it's not quite as plug and play as existing "bike light" batteries.

Here's a LiPo 5000mah soft case battery thrown in an old water bottle:

I soldered up a "Deans" style connector -> Magicshine connector:
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post

Since I don't really understand "maH's" and all that technical stuff about batteries, can someone give a realistic idea of runtimes for each of the batteries listed above?
    In theory, mAh means how much total current a battery can supply. But in practice it's a marketing label that shouldn't be compared between different brands, just like lumens.

The Xeccon and Magicshine batteries use 2200mAh BAK 18650 cells, which by their own datasheets are 1900mAh at best. In this application, probably closer to 1800mAh due to the higher current draw and allowing for some manufacturing tolerance.

So a 6.6Ah Xeccon/MS at let's say 2.2A = 5.4Ah (real) / 2.2 A = 2.7 Hours

The Gemini batteries use Samsung 2600mAh cells which are a lot closer to rated capacity.

so a 5.2Ah Gemini at 2.2A = 4.9mAh (real) / 2.2A = 2.3 Hours

The Xeccon is cheaper and runs longer, but weighs 50% more (6 cells vs. 4) and due to cell quality will most likely wear out faster and be somewhat less safe while charging.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When compairing batteriy prices, don't forget Xeccon has a flat rate shipping charge of $20.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone able to confirm if this battery is actually 5200mAh? Based on the low price, and no mention of the brand of cells, I'm guessing it's not, and that it's just a regular 4400mAh.
    Anyone?

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast