Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    At this point, if I were you, I would simply use the supplied battery and maybe buy another on Ebay, $18 if you need any more run time. I would not go out and pay 85 for a battery for a cheap light system though this light seems to work real well.
    The battery pack is compatible with other light systems. An adapter or new plugs will increase compatibility. So a good battery pack can be a better value. Even if it's not used with other lights, I think the battery is the most important part of the light system, at least with the way I ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well, my P7 Magicshine lighthead/charger does not fit into the 3xXM-L battery. The MS plug is a little bit too wide.

mtbr member
    Getting right at 3hrs on high on my 6.0 GEO battery.

Doesn't really look like 1800 lumens on high. More like 1200 and medium like 900, maybe a bit more.

I did a lux comparison yesterday and I have to agree, it is not anything like 1800 lumen.
    I compared it to my Gloworm X2 and surprisingly both out put almost the same amount of light. Keep in mind a lux read out is not the same thing as lumen read out but it helps when doing basic comparisons.

When I get a chance I'm going to do a lux reading from 45į off camber. This should help me judge how well the lamps compare as to total flood and spill. Just judging from what my eyes are seeing, with the Gloworm using spot/flood set-up the beam patterns are almost the same.

mtbr member
    I did another quickie ride tonight using the tri-clone as a bar light. Basically works pretty good as far as supplying a decent amount of light. Was having some problems with some of the lamps minor features. Changing modes with the Tri-clone on the bars is not the easiest thing to do. I hate having to cycle through all the extra modes ( flash and off ) Either that or I must be spoiled from using my Gloworm X2 with remote. One thing is certain, next ride is Gloworm on the bars.

Another issue I had was that the bar mount screw had gotten a bit too loose while I was riding. While on the ride the lamp kept swiveling towards the right which was kind of a nuisance. On the plus side it means you can adjust the lamp angle a bit if you chose to do so. When I got home I tightened it up so it shouldn't move anymore ( unless I want it to ).

Just before leaving for the ride I had a problem with the battery bag. Once again it seems the Chinese don't think that the battery bag is so important. I say that because I've had this same problems with other Chinese made bike set-ups. Namely, the strap buckles on the battery bags are VERY poorly attached. If you tighten them real tight the buckle strap will pull right off the bag ( or the plastic buckle itself will break ). Not the kind of thing you want to happen if you're mounting the battery somewhere back in the woods. Luckily for me I had another piece of Velcro attached to my helmet that usually holds my helmet torch. Since I was running the Xeccon X-12 on the helmet I didn't need the velcro so I took it off and found a way to make it hold the battery bag to the upper tube. Dang, I hate when stuff like this happens ( just before it starts to get dark )

For the record: If you have a battery bag from a Chinese manufacture that uses the plastic buckles you might want to carry a 12" length of Velcro with you, just in case. I had the same thing happen with a Bikeray battery bag. At least the BR bag had a wider/longer length of Velcro on it that allowed me to wrap the strap around the whole battery bag even after the buckle broke. I've also had the velcro buckle straps break on the cheap rubber torch mounts...yep stuff happens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Cat, I'm sure you're already familiar with these, but I'll post them for those that aren't.

I've recently bought a few of the bags from Action LED. They aren't the highest quality, but they're cheap as hell, and they do have two straps and the straps are longer.
    The battery stays in place on my frame much better then with the stock battery bags.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I hate having to cycle through all the extra modes ( flash and off )
    Having off in the regular mode cycle shouldn't exist in a bike light. That should require a longer button press, another button, or some other way to access it. A light should not turn off on the way to the high mode.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    MB, Cat, Bad Andy, HankanC

Thanks for the great information.

So how are the runtimes with this light? 4400ah/6400ah battery? Other than post 8, has anyone done some beam shot comparisons? Low, medium, high and compared to other lights you have? I'm thinking of ordering two, one for the bar and one for the helmet. Might be heavy, but it's probably better than the NR Storm that I've used as a helmet light for the past 10 or so years. Also, itís my understanding that the Magicshine cables/chargers and batteries appear to be compatible. Am I safe to assume that the MS extension cable will work to extend the length from helmet to jersey pocket?

Looks at this one on ebay.

4000 Lm 3x CREE XM-L T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Rear Light Headlamp Lamp 25W | eBay

And I agree, itís a shame they havenít figured out the button sequence. Push and hold for two seconds to power off, button clicking for low med and high and perhaps press and hold for five for strobe. Though, for $50 a light, I think it will be hard to complain.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mr.Grumpy; 11-01-2012 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
    MB, Cat, Bad Andy, HankanC

Thanks for the great information.

So how are the runtimes with this light? 4400ah/6400ah battery? Other than post 8, has anyone done some beam shot comparisons? Low, medium, high and compared to other lights you have? I'm thinking of ordering two, one for the bar and one for the helmet. Might be heavy, but it's probably better than the NR Storm that I've used as a helmet light for the past 10 or so years. Also, itís my understanding that the Magicshine cables/chargers and batteries appear to be compatible. Am I safe to assume that the MS extension cable will work to extend the length from helmet to jersey pocket?

Looks at this one on ebay.

ebay.ca/itm/4000-Lm-3x-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Bicycle-bike-HeadLight-Rear-Light-Headlamp-Lamp-25W-/271072209045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f1d29a895#ht_8620wt_914]4000 Lm 3x CREE XM-L T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Rear Light Headlamp Lamp 25W | eBay

And I agree, itís a shame they havenít figured out the button sequence. Push and hold for two seconds to power off, button clicking for low med and high and perhaps press and hold for five for strobe. Though, for $50 a light, I think it will be hard to complain.

Thanks!
    Sorry I can't help on most counts here. My rides are generally under 2 hours, and am only turning the lights on when it gets dark enough. No beam shot comparison's either. My MS808 is the p7 model and I've put the wide angle lense in there. That would be like comparing apples and tuna fish sandwiches. It does appear all my MS gear is compatible with this light, though I've stuck to keeping each's battery with charger combo together, for now. My MS extension cable fits too, though is of no need. There's plenty of cable hanging off the lamp and battery that I can stash the battery in my backpack. As for the light you linked to on eBay... I will be able to chime in on that one too - as soon as I've gotten mine. I've been a little nuts this year buying the chinese knockoffs. If this one is as good as the other 3x I have I'll be happy. If it's better I'll be ecstatic. 8)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Grumpy

Before you think they are all compatible, they are actually not all compatible. I tried the clone 3 XML light head w/ a new MS battery and the connectors were different even though they look similar. The clone connectors do all appear to be the same as my clones are compatible.

As far as run time, I haven't tried the supplied battery yet but I am consistently running around 3 hours on high w/ a 6.0 GEO battery which is a better quality battery I'm sure. I'd guess a 2hr run time to be safe. Maybe Cat has tested this.

I would not use this on the helmet. It's just a bit too heavy and the smaller 1 XML is plenty w/ a spot beam along w/ this. By the way, medium is probably all anybody will really ever need w/ the helmet clone on high.

MB

mtbr member
    ....As far as run time, I haven't tried the supplied battery yet but I am consistently running around 3 hours on high w/ a 6.0 GEO battery which is a better quality battery I'm sure. I'd guess a 2hr run time to be safe. Maybe Cat has tested this...

MB
    I haven't tested it yet but ball-parking the run time I would think 2hrs or just under. If it gets over 2hr on high I would be thrilled. Maybe this weekend I'll give it test run. For the record, doing battery run time tests are a drag.

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Well mine has arrived. Happy to say, out of the box, it works! - which is good. I should be able to test tonight and provide some real world thoughts on this light.

I purchased this version, which claimed to have a 6400mah battery: 3800 Lum 3x Cree XM-L XML T6 LED HeadLamp Headlight Bicycle Lamp Bike Car Light | eBay

Though the battery is shrink-wrapped (as expected) so I really have no idea what is in there. First up is a pic of battery and charger, which is the 8.4v/1.0amp charger. Some people complain about the low amp charger but I don't find it a big deal. I've got my original magicshine 1.8amp charger and can use that if I'm in a hurry, or really go at the battery with my R/C charger if I'm in a real hurry.

Next are some other pics of the headlamp... I am using the mount from my older niterider MiNewt, since it offers a cool removable feature. The adjustable mount attached to the headlamp is the perfect size to fit onto the niterider 'pod' which can then be removed from the helmet baseplate. Very convenient and keeps people from looking at you funny when riding without your light. This mount has also been compatible with my magicshine808, and I'd imagine is compatible with most headlamps of this size.

The headlamp does weigh a little bit more than my 808, but I don't think I will notice too much. I have mounted the light pretty much centered on the helmet to try to keep it balanced, anyway. Those who mount their lights closer to the front of their helmet may notice the weight more.

Last, I have some beam shots. (sorry for the bad clarity) Low/Med/Hi - It is as described in the item description, and mentioned in the above posts. The levels coordinate with how many lights are on. low = 1, med = 2, high = 3. Some people have mentioned how this sucks and the beam pattern will change throughout the various levels. I will let you know if it is discernable on the trail. Of note, LOW setting with 1 light on it is the single bottom led. MED setting with 2 lights on are the upper 2 leds. You can see what I am talking about in the pics. This programming may help the beam pattern stay somewhat balanced... we'll see.
    Well I just purchased this, hope it works as my first foray into night riding...........thanks for the review...........
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the replies.

The only reason I asked about the MS compatibility is for additional cable length. I've only so far found MS cables as an extension. Whatever light I get that I run on the helmet it will have to be long enough to go from the helmet to a jersey pocket, not a backpack/camel-back.

Perhaps I'll try one of those mini cree things floating around for the helmet and this 3x Cree on the bar.

Mini CREE LED XML XM-L T6 LED 1600Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp HeadLight headLamp | eBay

Do these knock off light connectors have a name or type? I know RC land has mini deans, deans, bullet, xt60 etc.

Thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Mr.Grumpy; 11-01-2012 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey Cat.

Maybe this weekend I'll give it test run. For the record, doing battery run time tests are a drag
    Ya, I would think so! How about a photocell wired in to a plug with a digital clock attached. Record the time you turn the light on, face it at the photocell and go watch a movie(perhaps LOTR extended). When the light burns out the photocell switches the plug on and the timer begins. When you return (assuming the light ran dry) take note of the blinking time on the digital clock. Do some math and it should be a good unattended test for run time.

Thoughts?

If I recall, some digital clocks flash 12 forever while some flash but advance the time.

I'm sure there are better tools but this could be done for cheap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
    ... How about a photocell wired in to a plug with a digital clock attached
    I think I've got a better solution than that. Pick up a low end Canon point and shoot that is CHDK compatible. CHDK is an alternative firmware, loaded from the card when the camera is tuned on, if the "lock" on the SD card is tuned on. I got a "last year's model" camera for $60. Even full price they are $80ish.

CHDK has a host of features. One of them is an intervalometer script. You set how often you want it to take a pic. You could either turn on the time/date stamp in the picture or use the file date/time as your reference. Set the script to shoot every minute or 30 sec, and to run for say 4 hrs. You could flip through the pics and see when the light went out. It could also be useful in those temperature monitoring setups, if the readout was in the picture.

Maybe the Motion script might be better. When something changes in the camera's field of view, it takes a pic. You can set the sensitivity. I'd bet it would note when the light dimmed down, and probably even when the colours change on the back button. I think I'm gonna have to try it to see how well it works. On some of the faster cameras people even use it to take pictures of lightening.

CHDK is a little geeky, and not exactly intuitive. It gives you a ridiculous amount of control, and extra features on a bottom end point and shoot.

I used the motion script when my elderly cat was reaching the end of her days. I set it to watch her dish to see if/how often she drank or ate. Of course because the camera would make a noise whenever it focused and took a picture, I got many of her looking right into the lens. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. But it did work very well.

mtbr member
    Runtime test can be less of a pain when using a video camera on low resolution mode - Colleen does this too. It saves time doing runtime test.

Use any camera with video mode or GoPro type cameras. Set it to low res because that will require less memory. A decent SD card should get you over 4 hours on low res.

Set the camera behind the light head so you can see the switch/indicator button, with a clock off angle in front of a fan set about a foot away from the light head. You may have the temperature/lux reader on the other side of the clock - all within the video frame.

Check the time. Turn on the temp/lux reader. Start recording. Turn on the light and fan. Go watch TV, sign in to mtbr or go to sleep.

Replay the video. While holding down the video player marker, dragging it forward and backward will tell:
    - lux reading from start to finish
    - temperature rise rate and temperature plateau
    - thermal shutdown (and restart time if any) if no airflow was introduced
    - at what times the indicator changed colors
    - whether there was thermal stepdown or brightness change (drag the marker right to left and back again if you do not have a lux meter. You will catch variations better this way)
    - and the time the light went off

Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ian_C and Xeccon.

Both very good points. Also a laptop/workstation with a webcam will do!

mtbr member
    I'm looking for a bike light (my first one eheh) as the winter as arrived and days are now shorter... I will be riding mainly in the street with some cars and some off road as well, but nothing like mountain biking all alone into the deep woods.
    Having said that, does this light works for me? I've read through the 3 pages already and i see HakanC does not recommends this for road biking. So, HakanC, do you think i can mod this light to adjust it to road biking? User Infinity123 posted on another topic he modded it not to blind people:
    gratisimage.dk/image-48C7_508A7582.jpg
    I think i will do the same as i will have only this light for now.

One more thing: it is not waterproof right? Neither is the battery case, right? If i do get this lamp should i put the battery case inside a water balloon (those little ones) like i've read somewhere?

Thank you all, this forum has really helped me out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    One more thing: it is not waterproof right? Neither is the battery case, right?
    The light head is pretty Waterproff. The batterypack is not. I have wrapped it in a plastic bag and taped it shut. But there are of course other ways to deal with this matter.

Hereīs a little info on the cap on my light:
    Commuting lights - Mtbr Forums

Do you use the original battery? If so, for how long does this thing run on medium. Also, do you ride in the rain?
    Q1: Yes, Q2: I donīt know (2-3 hours?), Q3: No

mtbr member
    Thanks Infinity123!
    I guess I've now found my bike light. Will try to add a cap like that too. Shouldn't it be reflective, though? I see you made it out of a plastic bag...

Also, anyone with this wide angle lens? action-led-lights.com/collections/accessories/products/wide-angle-lens ?

Going to buy the bike light from ebay.com/itm/3X-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-3800Lm-LED-Headlight-Headlamp-Bicycle-Bike-Light-/251152598491?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a79dc85db in 3 or 4 days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Shouldn't it be reflective, though? I see you made it out of a plastic bag...
    Sure, if you want to. The white plastic works fine for me.

Iīm not sure the wide angle lens would work in a 3x LED design? However, you donīt need it. The 3X XM-L has a lovely floody light.
    Could you please use the "link" or "picture" button when you post a link/picture in a message? It would make it a lot easier for the rest of us, thanks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they probably would not. I just saw a lot of pics of users modifying their MS with these wide angle lenses and the result is jut amazing. See here: forums.mtbr.com/8859193-post1.html But if you say it is good enough for commuting... Also, with this wide angle lens, i guess it would hurt pedestrians and drivers eyes, right? Anyway, i will how it is first and will decide later, after some tests ,if i need to mod it or not (adding the cap).
    About the images and links, I would if i could. :\ I dont have 10 posts yet, that is why i cant post links and images...

Anyone else using this kind of cap? If i do decide to make one, i think it would be better to cover the inside of the plastic with an aluminum foil... At least the light won't be "lost"...

I hope i get it right at the first time, because i can't really spend that much on bike lights now. :P
    Last edited by PedroDank; 10-29-2012 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey!

So I've ordered two different systems and I'll report back once I receive them. I'll try and do some testing/beam shots but we'll see!

4000 Lm 3x CREE XM-L T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Rear Light Headlamp Lamp 25W | eBay

Mini CREE LED XML XM-L T6 LED 1600Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp HeadLight headLamp | eBay
    Last edited by Mr.Grumpy; 11-01-2012 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Grump

Really curious about that mini. Maybe you can post a pict next to the 3XML to see size difference.

Beam shot would be great too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mb,

Will do what I can. Now the wait... 2ish weeks to land.

Only three more posts and I can post links and pictures. How exciting!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity123;9825965 The white plastic works fine for me.

[IMG
    http://www.gratisimage.dk/image-48C7_508A7582.jpg[/IMG]

Infinity...I like the white hood for the tri-clone. I know you made this for road use ( right? ) but I think it will help when Mt. biking too. I've noticed that the Tri-clone sends a lot of light upward into the trees. Too much in my opinion. You might try lining the underside of the hood with some aluminum foil as that may return more of the light back down towards the trail. I might try my hand at this as well to see how well it might work.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast