Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Action-led, hunk-lee (ebayer), DX - pannovo B-C04 case with 4 x 18650 protected cells. Bunch of options ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, I have the manta ray stepless like steelhmr. I've noticed that I don't get much run time on it before the LED turns red. This even happens when I go to on a 10 min ride on max, let the bike sit outside at 45 degrees for an hour, then on the ride back it turns red after a minute. I think I ended up with a bad battery. Are there any suggestions for a good replacement battery?
    I have the same lamp. The Manta Ray D003 draws a bit of battery power so it doesn't surprise me that the supplied battery isn't going to cut it. Cold weather only makes matters worse. A 4-cell battery using Panasonic cells is likely your best bet for better run times. Another way to go is to buy a 6-cell battery. Then again you might consider one of the 4-cell battery holders and buy the cells you want to provide the run time you need. The advantage of a cell holder is that you can remove the batteries ( on a ride ) and replace if needed ( if you have spares ). The holder should work with just two cells ( if need be ) so if you run out of juice on a ride all you should need are two extra cells for back up. If running just two cells you will need to run lower power levels though.

While on the subject I should mention that the LED battery indicators on some of the cheaper Chinese lamps vary on how they work. I've seen the red indicator come on with one of my lamps and still had an hour of run time. Sometimes this just happens and temperature of the batteries has a lot to do with how the indicators work. Preferably you would like the red indicator to tell you when are almost out of battery power (10-15 minutes of run time left ) Unfortunately not all indicators are going to work the same. A lot depends on the quality/capacity of the cells and well as the ambient temperature of the cells. This is why it is imperative that you do a run time test with your lamp/battery so you know what to expect once you get out in the field. If you don't do this than it would be a good idea to carry something for back-up. Though I rarely need it myself, I always carry a small single cell XM-L torch on my bars. Better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.

Likely nothing is wrong with your battery. It probably just doesn't have the needed capacity to supply your lamp with full power for anything more than 90 minutes or so ( @ 70F ). A high capacity battery ( > 6000mAh ) should get you over two hours on high with the lamp you are using. Personally I never run mine on high for more than a couple minutes at a time so the advice I'm giving you is based on theoretical numbers. As such, usually I'm not too far off the mark if I'm wrong. If I ever do an extended ride with mine I'll just carry a back up battery to stay on the safe side but for the most part I'm very good at milking the *battery to get the most run time out of it.. (*note; not the supplied battery, I have better batteries )

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I finally bought a pannovo B-C04, and I installed 4 2250mAh batteries in it. This pack is lasting much longer than the original battery pack. I've run it over an hour on high with a fan on it with the button staying green. The original pack only lasted about 10 minutes before the button turned red.

I did some measurements with this light, and it draws 2A at high power. The button turns red around 6.6V-6.7V, and the light shuts off at 6.3V-6.4V.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20