Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I got a qestion for you guys that grab theses clones, do you think the one led or three led is better. Im guessing the one would would have a wider throw and better battery life whats your guys thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Usually more LEDs mean more efficiency, 3XML clones are a good mix of flood & throw for a bar light and they have more lumens output than 1 XML clones.

mtbr member

Re: New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Usually more LEDs mean more efficiency, 3XML clones are a good mix of flood & throw for a bar light and they have more lumens output than 1 XML clones.
    Thanks for the info, I fingered the 3 would be brighter but thought it would be a bigger draw and with the size of the reflector I thought the beam would be more narrow.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Acutally 1 XM-L clone needs wide angle lens, to get more flood. 3 XM-L clone (this or Skyray S6) is just a nice mix of both flood/throw. 3 XM-L will draw more from battery (about 14-16W of power drawn from batteries), but it is a brighter light and you have the modes you can change - so you don't need to max it out everytime.

mtbr member

I'm guessing the xlm clown don't have a real Cree led in so my question is has any of you guys try putting a better led in this setup?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, these clones have cree xm-l leds, but mostly with the cheapest tint/bin color. I am replacing my xm-l's with xm-l2 in my Skyray S6 light also with stronger 30W driver.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Yes, these clones have cree xm-l leds, but mostly with the cheapest tint/bin color. I am replacing my xm-l's with xm-l2 in my Skyray S6 light also with stronger 30W driver.
    Thanks for the info I'm trying to find the best set up for $50 so I don't know if I'm gonna get a 3 or one led cause I was thinking of getting a one with a flood lens and beefing up the led and driver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ok, saw this one which has a reflector at the top of the light head. Seems like it would reflect more light down at the trail. Good idea. Anyone tried one like this or made their own reflector like this to enhance the light or does it not really work.

4500LM 3X CREE XML T6 LED Cycling Front Head Bike Lamp Bicycle Light Headlamp H5 | eBay

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Ok, saw this one which has a reflector at the top of the light head. Seems like it would reflect more light down at the trail. Good idea. Anyone tried one like this or made their own reflector like this to enhance the light or does it not really work.

4500LM 3X CREE XML T6 LED Cycling Front Head Bike Lamp Bicycle Light Headlamp H5 | eBay

MB
    MB, there must at least 20 or more versions of Tri-clone floating around on the web. I've seen other versions of bike lamps with the shield. Could be useful for on the road. It needs to be pointed out that the lamp you linked to only looks to have two steady modes and one flash mode. Most tri-clones have 3 steady modes and one flash.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nope I didn't tried that. But I have seen it at lightmalls -this one and some other also. Anyway it is easy to try similar setup with some alloy foil on top of the lighthead. But this alloy reflector has to be smooth to reflect the light back down to the trail. There are zillions of 3 XMLs out just take a look 3LED Bike Light - 3T6 Bike Light - 3R5 LED Bike Light Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thx

I know there are loads of these out there, I was just curious if the shield really worked as it looks kinda interesting and seems like it would reflect more light at the ground thus acting like a light w/ more lumens.

Hmmm, maybe I'll try some kind of mod and see what I can come up w/.

mtbr member

To be honest I don't think its a reflector because its not shiny, I believe its to keep the light out of on oncoming peoples eyes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It is not shiny so you are right about blinding. But if you want more light on the trail you need to add a shiny shield to reflect the light down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Stepless XML2 U2

I got one of these last week and did a little testing to see if it would have heat issues like steelhmr. I had a small fan blowing on it and it was approx 70F indoor temp. I put it on high and watched it with a thermal camera. It was a little slow to heat up and when the case temp hit 108F it throttled back to low. Once it dropped a few degrees it went back up to high until it hit 108F and dropped again. This was much lower than I was expecting so I opened it up to add some thermal paste. The inside looked just like the pics uploaded earlier with just the very thin (and poorly applied) white paste. I cleaned it off and tried to pull the retaining ring that holds the mounting plate for the leds to see if there was any paste between it and the case. I was unable to pull the ring but was able to determine that the plate is sitting on a lip that is about 3mm. I put new paste so that the plate would be better connected to the case and a fresh layer between the led and plate. Put it back together and ran the same test. Fired it up and at 112F it dropped back to low. I was disappointed until I noticed the red led on the back was blinking and thought maybe it changed to low due to that. Sure enough, plugged in a different battery and it ran all the way until I abandoned the test at 130F case temp. If you get this light, you must add thermal paste. But once that is done you shouldn't have any thermal shutdown issues.

http://kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S021404

mtbr member

Thanks for the info rob, I haven't ran mine yet because I'm still waiting for my flood lens bit I will be sure to add some paste.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by djjeffa View Post
    Thanks for the info rob, I haven't ran mine yet because I'm still waiting for my flood lens bit I will be sure to add some paste.

Where did you find a flood lens that fits?

mtbr member

Amazon but wait till I get it before you order. Let me make sure it fits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If it's not 45mm in diameter it wont fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robs31 View Post
    I got one of these last week and did a little testing to see if it would have heat issues like steelhmr. I had a small fan blowing on it and it was approx 70F indoor temp. I put it on high and watched it with a thermal camera. It was a little slow to heat up and when the case temp hit 108F it throttled back to low. Once it dropped a few degrees it went back up to high until it hit 108F and dropped again. This was much lower than I was expecting so I opened it up to add some thermal paste. The inside looked just like the pics uploaded earlier with just the very thin (and poorly applied) white paste. I cleaned it off and tried to pull the retaining ring that holds the mounting plate for the leds to see if there was any paste between it and the case. I was unable to pull the ring but was able to determine that the plate is sitting on a lip that is about 3mm. I put new paste so that the plate would be better connected to the case and a fresh layer between the led and plate. Put it back together and ran the same test. Fired it up and at 112F it dropped back to low. I was disappointed until I noticed the red led on the back was blinking and thought maybe it changed to low due to that. Sure enough, plugged in a different battery and it ran all the way until I abandoned the test at 130F case temp. If you get this light, you must add thermal paste. But once that is done you shouldn't have any thermal shutdown issues.

http://kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S021404
    Great to hear that you had the same success with the thermal management issue that I did. Curious to hear your thoughts on the brightness, beam pattern, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by djjeffa View Post

I, too, am very curious about how this works out. I'd probably be more interested in changing the reflectors/cones. I just want to redirect the small hot spot into a wider flood (without sacrificing total lumens).

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by robs31 View Post
    If it's not 45mm in diameter it wont fit.
    I didn't bother measuring but it fits New clone 3 x XML T-6  49.88 shipped-uploadfromtaptalk1389051064262.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Please measure and provide a link to the lens you bought. Also a beamshot with and without would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004WL..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1
    It is like 1.5 in about 38mm give or take.
    Ill post pics when I have time.
    Btw there beam shot on that page mine is just brighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Bummer. That is the same size as the one I have for my 808 clone. Our 3X are different diameters and it is way to small for mine.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, I have the manta ray stepless like steelhmr. I've noticed that I don't get much run time on it before the LED turns red. This even happens when I go to on a 10 min ride on max, let the bike sit outside at 45 degrees for an hour, then on the ride back it turns red after a minute. I think I ended up with a bad battery. Are there any suggestions for a good replacement battery?

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast