Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cat man...what's the difference between that place in your link and the ones on Ebay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Cat man...what's the difference between that place in your link and the ones on Ebay?
    ...That is the $54,000.00 question.

I wish I could answer that with some certainty. The truth is I can't. I know that ebay has a lot of Chinese vendors. Even so not all Chinese are alike. My CAt gut tells me the dedicated Chinese websites are better. Most of the complaints of bad batteries came from people who bought from vendors on ebay. The other Chinese websites have been around a long time. I've bought from DX, K/D, CNquality and the Outdoor Store and have had few complaints. Most of those purchases were for torches and related torch stuff though.

Anyway, FWIW...don't take my word for it that one is better than the other. I could always be wrong. Really, you can only put so much faith in CAt gut intuition anyway.
    I just know I bought a tri-clone from an ebay vendor and the battery sucked. Next time I would buy somewhere else but that's just how I do things. There is the possibility though that you still might get a sucky battery.

You's lays you's money down and you's take your chances.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Interesting that this vendor lists the lumens as 1200. At least they aren't lying about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    IF you want a bit DIY, this might be a solution
    Are there detailed instructions available for doing this mod? I own soldering equipment and am willing to give it a shot, but having no prior experience I need a bit of guidance. The Li-Po batteries sound like a good affordable solution, but what about charging them? Others have mentioned that a specific hobby charger is needed, which adds another layer of cost. Again, these tri-clone lights seem like a great bargain, but not if it requires spending double the cost of the light head on a battery to power it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Hope Kaidioman battery

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Ok, I won't do that again But have others any experience with the 3XML battery from DX or KD?
    My 8.4 Capacity: 12000mA Kaidomain battery (kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S020905) just arrived to replace the dead battery from my ebay 3XLM clone. I'll try and test it tonight and see how it long it runs. I sure expect better performance as it weighs in at 390g, exactly twice the the original's 180g wt.
    If some folks could recommend a good charger that allows me to see what is going on, I would appreciate it.

FYI, found a new use for the head light this past weekend, extreme sledding after midnight.
    It didn't solve all the problems, but at least I saw the car before I hit it

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can buy from CNQG but you will still lack on things you mentioned here and still have to DIY some small improvements. And next you still want probably more run time than provides the original battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I remember reading posts of people who bought lights from DX and KD but not the Tri-Clone light specifically. Still even if you buy the Tri-Clone from DX, KD ( or other Chinese site ) while I expect the battery to be better it still will not give you significantly more run time. Maybe 1.5hr on high at best. Nope, to run a 3 XM-L light you need more capacity, at least 5200mAh. That would get you almost two hours on high. Better would be something over 6000mAh.

The real screw with these Tri-clone lamps is the lack of a low battery warning. At least lamps with blinking red leds when the battery gets low give you something to think about. They ( the warning leds ) won't work the same in cold weather but they're better than nothing.

If I was going to buy another Tri-Clone lamp I likely would buy from a place like CNqualitygoods.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No there isn't any detailed instruction. Just take apart the former pack and rescue the protection board. Next you have to solder the the connector (probably JST-XH) to the board (be aware of the polarity of the board and connector colors). The light can be powered with the balance connector. Yes for Lipo you need hobby charger, but that is about $16 and you can go with this and you are able to charge nicd/nimh/liion/lipo/life cells up to 6S - 25.6V. But you need 2S since the pack is 7.4/8.4V

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
    Are there detailed instructions available for doing this mod? I own soldering equipment and am willing to give it a shot, but having no prior experience I need a bit of guidance. The Li-Po batteries sound like a good affordable solution, but what about charging them? Others have mentioned that a specific hobby charger is needed, which adds another layer of cost. Again, these tri-clone lights seem like a great bargain, but not if it requires spending double the cost of the light head on a battery to power it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I really would like to know how it performs since I think it will be about 8000mAh. Please post some measurements/chage/discharge info

Quote Originally Posted by Skylinemtb View Post
    My 8.4 Capacity: 12000mA Kaidomain battery (kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S020905) just arrived to replace the dead battery from my ebay 3XLM clone. I'll try and test it tonight and see how it long it runs. I sure expect better performance as it weighs in at 390g, exactly twice the the original's 180g wt.
    If some folks could recommend a good charger that allows me to see what is going on, I would appreciate it.

FYI, found a new use for the head light this past weekend, extreme sledding after midnight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Holy crap....they're giving them away now....
    2in1 4200LUMEN CREE 3 T6 LED Bicycle Light Headlamp Head Torch Battery

mtbr member
    I think the seller is doing something smart by offering a low starting bid instead of BIN, in order to generate interest; the winning bid could easily end up at or above the $43 current eBay MSRP.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah...it's already up to $41.
    But...I got a smoking deal on the Hi-Max U2 light when they did this.
    I'm sure the prices will start dropping on the 3x when U2 3x's hit the clone market.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

How long did it take to get your battery from Kaidomain?

mtbr member
    I know you didn't ask me the question but the stuff I got from Kaidomain usually took about 16 days ( as long as the items are in stock ).

On a side note; The Chinese New Year occurs on Feb. 10th. When that happens the whole country goes on holiday for about two weeks. If you place an order from a Chinese web site just make sure it is at least a week before the New Year so it doesn't get delayed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks....
    Placed the orders last week...so the waiting game is on.
    And hoping the old Niterider lasts a few more rides...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    And BTW...thanks for all your input here.....some good stuff

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

KD battery

Ordered Dec 27, arrived Jan 14th.

My first test on High was 1hr 55 min. but I didn't charge it before running. I ended up having to use it on a bunch of stuff, so I'll get back to this as soon as I need to charge it again.

MK - thanks for the charger reference.

mtbr member

My first test on High was 1hr 55 min. but I didn't charge it before running. I ended up having to use it on a bunch of stuff, so I'll get back to this as soon as I need to charge it again.

Well damn...not bad for a partially charged battery. Usually batteries are shipped with about a 30%-40% charge. Give us the full charge low down when you get the chance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It depends, normally at 3.8V/cell is about 50% - also a storage voltage by li-ion/li-po to prohibit the oxidation of electrodes.

Well damn...not bad for a partially charged battery. Usually batteries are shipped with about a 30%-40% charge. Give us the full charge low down when you get the chance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

KD battery

Will do Cat. Tried to reply to PM but I don't have enough posts yet. Anyway will get on that as soon as I have a few hours to kill and charge it full. Have been using the light everyday and haven't even been riding yet!

Anybody care if I test it on Medium instead of High first time around. I hardly ever use it on high as it's not noticeably brighter, and I figure it just gets hotter, especially testing. Maybe I'll use the fan this time.

Let me know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    And what do you think about something like that?

4 x XM-L with 6x18650 battery pack - $53

search for: 4 x Cree XM-L T6 4-Mode Bicycle Light With Charger and 6 x 18650 Battery Pack kaidomain

Maybe somebody tested it? I'm leaning to it as my friend told me that 4 leds (2 x 2XM-L) is better than 3xXM-L because the different type of the driver (if I translate correctly) which has to be used for 3 leds.

mtbr member

In for the real test. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just received my 3X that I ordered from Ebayer securityingstore.
    It was shipped from a California address...and ordered on the 9th..got it on the 18th.
    Just a quick test in the dark cellar....I can notice the 3 different levels...that may change outdoors.
    Compared with my old Niterider HID Moab/ Canibal ( the switch is screwed up....so I don't know which of 3 power level it's on)...the 3x washes out the HID in the 2 higher modes.
    Going to charge it up and compare it outside and get a run time later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Got my 4*26650 battery pack for this light today. I'm glad it came with a bag with a frame strap. Wont get to ride u til next week. Bike is in the shop for a new freewheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    here's some pics from the 26650 pack I got from LTbox, same connector plug on the other end

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Do you know what it weighs?
    I wonder if my battery from Kaidomain will have a bag. I guess I can use the old Niterider bag...and have room for spare stuff...

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast