Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    So what's the general consensus on this light? From what I'm reading the light is pretty good, but it comes with a sub-standard battery. The battery is pretty much useless. Is that right?

These things are getting cheaper, $43.64 from a USA based warehouse:
    3800Lm 3X CREE XM L T6 LED LED Bicycle Bike Light Headlight Headlamp | eBay
    That's the same one I just ordered.....I don't think it's a US warehouse though???
    And I ordered a Kaido battery that Hakan linked...
    We'll see how every thing works.
    The prices are crazy....
    I think I paid over $200 for a Vista set up back in the early 90's that was like a birthday candle.
    I then dropped a wad on a Nitesun in the mid 90's that was killer at the time
    Then about 400 on a Nite Rider Moab HID around 2005
    Now I bought 2 lights and a extra battery for $130.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

3x-cree-xm-l-t6-led

Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    So what's the general consensus on this light? From what I'm reading the light is pretty good, but it comes with a sub-standard battery. The battery is pretty much useless. Is that right?

These things are getting cheaper, $43.64 from a USA based warehouse:
    3X CREE XM L T6 LED LED Bicycle Bike Light Headlight Headlamp | eBay[/url]
    I think all have said to expect little from the battery that comes with this light. It hasn't measured up to the 4400 mAh stated. Since this is that same seller that I got mine from, and judging by the expected delivery dates (a 2 week time period), I wouldn't trust the shipping from the US statement that is in the link above. Seems like they are giving themselves 2 days to process order and 2 days for expedited shipping. 4 days from in the US, seems bogus to me.

Also, these guys said they would send me a replacement battery when I first got it, as it didn't measure up, but they never did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If that ebay vendor has done what you said by shipping from out of country and not sending the promised spare battery, I hope you are still able to grant the rating that seller deserves. Probably not though. That's what I hate about ebay. Bad sellers get inflated undeserved ratings. I like Amazon much better for this reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    If that ebay vendor has done what you said by shipping from out of country and not sending the promised spare battery, I hope you are still able to grant the rating that seller deserves. Probably not though. That's what I hate about ebay. Bad sellers get inflated undeserved ratings. I like Amazon much better for this reason.
    I agree completely. A while back I tried to contact a seller on ebay when one of my lamps had a problem. The people never answered any of the emails I sent. I tried to go back on ebay to find the vendor so I could rate him negatively but I couldn't even find him.

E-bay is a joke. Yes, there are some good vendors and some good bargains but you take your chances. I like paying through Paypal so if anything goes wrong you can complain to them. Last but not least if you pay with a credit card you can complain to the CC company if you didn't get what you paid for and are not getting a response from the vendor. No vendor want's to mess with the Credit card companies believe me. Mess with them and they cut you off. If you try to pay with a CCard and the vendor tells you they can't accept your Master Card but can accept your Visa ( or vice versa )....consider that a warning. That means one of the Card companies cut them off more than likely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, cheap when everything else of quality is 2 to 3 times the price is also a warning. So far I'm gonna guess I've had 2 MS lights and 2 clones. The MS's are dead. The 808 clone battery just bit the dust, 1 year old but at 30 bucks I guess 1 year was good. The light head works tho. The tri clone works but battery was a joke so really this light head wouldn't be working w/o the 6.0 GEO battery I had.

My Dinotte XML-3's are working fine, 2nd year.

I do need a new helmet light but am going no cables. Anybody know the best one. Cat, what you think. Was thinking the new Cygo Expellion 700. Anything brighter and smaller. When is Dinotte going to enter the cable less light game???

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    ....I do need a new helmet light but am going no cables. Anybody know the best one. Cat, what you think. Was thinking the new Cygo Expellion 700. Anything brighter and smaller. When is Dinotte going to enter the cable less light game???

MB
    Not really sure how the new breed of self-contained lamps work as helmet lamps. My concern would be the type of beam pattern they might provide as I like a more spot setup for the helmet.

Personally when I go wireless on the helmet I just use a Ultrafire 501-B drop-in torch with XM-L 3-mode drop-in. This sits on my helmet really well and is so light-weight that I don't even know it's there. Sadly, with all the fancy vent designs on the newer helmets most people would not be able to use a torch for the helmet without doing some major rigging. ( My helmet is more than fifteen years old. If it ever dies on me I will miss it so much I will probably give it a funeral. )

If I was in the market for a helmet light that was light-weight, low profile and could be used without wires going off the helmet I would consider the Gloworm X1. No, I don't own one but the reviews are favorable and the set-up ( with two cell Panasonic battery ) can be mounted completely on the helmet. I've used a Gloworm X2 on the helmet with two cell and it is very light-weight / low profile setup as well. The X1 should be even lighter and the people who are reviewing the light say it out-throws the X2 ( with a more confined beam pattern ).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Not really sure how the new breed of self-contained lamps work as helmet lamps. My concern would be the type of beam pattern they might provide as I like a more spot setup for the helmet.
    (Perhaps this should be in a thread of its own?)

I am with Cat here.

Therefore i wonder if anybody have tried any of the new zoomable lamps that both DX and KD sells?
    UltraFire Cree XM-L U2 1200lm 3-Mode White Zooming Bike Light Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/Details.S020897
    068B Cree XM-L T6 600lm 5-Mode White Light Zooming Headlamp - Black (1 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

On paper they both looks good, but since I have more then enough of lamps for my own use I wan't to know more about them before I buy another lamp.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    These "high capacity" e-bay/dx/kd 2S2P batteries are very popular :-) Every item has them and they are proven to be trash with max. 1400mAh/cell. They have to sell the lights without battery

Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post

I am with Cat here.

Therefore i wonder if anybody have tried any of the new zoomable lamps that both DX and KD sells?
    UltraFire Cree XM-L U2 1200lm 3-Mode White Zooming Bike Light Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    068B Cree XM-L T6 600lm 5-Mode White Light Zooming Headlamp - Black (1 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

On paper they both looks good, but since I have more then enough of lamps for my own use I wan't to know more about them before I buy another lamp.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post, I know that the batteries are next to worthless.
    I was wondering more about the lamp and the quality of it.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ah, now I see. It seems like they will have a floody pattern in common. So they obviously won't throw much. The one with U2 seems to be the best.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post, I know that the batteries are next to worthless.
    I was wondering more about the lamp and the quality of it.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member

I am with Cat here.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN
    I've always wondered how these lights would look like when commuting. Because they are zoomable the beam pattern would always have a constant shape without any spill. That would be good if the light was at the right angle to illuminate the road without blinding drivers. Perhaps it would work like those lights with Germany's StVZO approval... I would like to test that...

I've seen some videos on youtube about zoomable lights and they should work as I've previously said. This could be interesting for me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I am with Cat here.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN
    I have tried the first one (the u2), and I like it. I use it as my helmet for spot duties. I use the popular 3x xml for the bars and the combo is working really pretty well for me. The zoomable uses aspheric lenses and I did a bit of research before purchasing. There is some info in the DIY forum about them, and a few custom jobs. The idea behind them is cool, and I liked the idea of being able to adjust the beam.

In practice I run the beam pretty tight, and it out throws my 3x by some distance. Too tight on the beam though and the pattern is pretty much a square, the led shape really. I back it out so the square pattern is just gone, and i get a nice BRIGHT spot to help illuminate down the trail where my 3x won't quite reach. Fully out in flood mode, it's a very wide, very distinct circle, with little throw.

I'll try to create some beam shots and post them, but I can say I'm quite satisfied with the light.

Oh, as we know these Chinese batteries are crap generally, but this light's battery has done well for me on over 1.5 hour rides without failing or stepping down power. I guess the U2 being more efficient may help a crappy battery perform better.

I bought on the 'bay and had posted a thread about these lights a few weeks ago. Search 'zoomable'

mtbr member
    I just saw your post and dig into other DIY topics regarding the aspheric and asymetrical reflector (RITA-A's from ledil: Interesting new reflector from Ledil) There are also beamshots of that reflector in the beamshot's fixed topic of that subforum.
    I would also like to see a headlight with that reflector to test in on the road. Getting bored of all those lights...we need innovation in reflectors to get nice lighting for the road.
    Anyway this is getting off topic...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have no electrical/electronics knowledge or ability. If you buy a separate battery pack, how do you assure compatibility?

I recently purchased a u2 setup from ebay from brotherhaung(?) how do I check if the battery pack is the 6400mah as advertised?
    jW

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can simply multiply Current and Time - 6400 mAh means the battery will last for 1 hour if the light consumes 6.4A current. BTW I bought from this seller 3XML too and do not expect 6400mAh. 1st battery ran 25 minutes and he sent me another which lasts hour and 20 mins. You wont get proper battery, although he is able to send you another for exchange :-( Just buy some packs advertised/mentioned in this thread and you have no problems

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dubya61 View Post
    I have no electrical/electronics knowledge or ability. If you buy a separate battery pack, how do you assure compatibility?

I recently purchased a u2 setup from ebay from brotherhaung(?) how do I check if the battery pack is the 6400mah as advertised?
    jW

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks, how much current does a U2 lamp draw?
    jW

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Basically the same as T6 with either 1 or 3 leds, but you better search the forum for reviews of ebay lights
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dubya61 View Post
    Thanks, how much current does a U2 lamp draw?
    jW

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I bought on the 'bay and had posted a thread about these lights a few weeks ago. Search 'zoomable'
    Thankyou

I found your thread:
    thoughts on the zoomable headlamps with aspheric lenses?

Please create some beam shots and post them in that thread, if you don't mind.

mtbr member
    Any consensus yet on a decent replacement battery for the 3800lm 3x XML T6 eBay clone? 3 hours minimum runtime is a reasonable demand to make from a battery IMO. $43 for the light, plus $30-ish for the battery is a bargain – or is it all too good to be true?
    Last edited by Fuzzy Dunlop; 01-12-2013 at 07:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    IF you want a bit DIY, this might be a solution

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
    Any consensus yet on a decent replacement battery for the 3800lm 3x XML T6 eBay clone? 3 hours minimum runtime is a reasonable demand to make from a battery IMO. $43 for the light, plus $30-ish for the battery is a bargain – or is it all too good to be true?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    These "high capacity" e-bay/dx/kd 2S2P batteries are very popular :-) Every item has them and they are proven to be trash with max. 1400mAh/cell. They have to sell the lights without battery
    Please, please!....do not group the ebay lamp / battery sellers in with the stuff you buy directly from China ( from a Chinese web site.) "Deal Extreme".."Kaidomain" and other Chinese web sites need to be judged by their own merits ( or faults ). A lot of people have bought directly from the Chinese web sites over the years and there have been few complaints about the batteries.
    I'm not saying they're the best quality but no where near as bad as what some ebay sellers are selling. Now if someone bought a Tri-Clone directly from the Chinese web sites and got a bum battery I'd like to hear about it.

Quoted by Bad Andy:
    ...I have tried the first one (the u2), and I like it. I use it as my helmet for spot duties. I use the popular 3x xml for the bars and the combo is working really pretty well for me. The zoomable uses aspheric lenses and I did a bit of research before purchasing. There is some info in the DIY forum about them, and a few custom jobs. The idea behind them is cool, and I liked the idea of being able to adjust the beam.

In practice I run the beam pretty tight, and it out throws my 3x by some distance. Too tight on the beam though and the pattern is pretty much a square, the led shape really. I back it out so the square pattern is just gone, and i get a nice BRIGHT spot to help illuminate down the trail where my 3x won't quite reach. Fully out in flood mode, it's a very wide, very distinct circle, with little throw.

I'll try to create some beam shots and post them, but I can say I'm quite satisfied with the light...
    These new adjustable aspheric lamps are interesting. Pardon me for going off subject a moment but since you are the first to say they own one I have a couple questions: Do you get any secondary rings from the lamp beam pattern when adjusted to a tighter beam pattern? The reason I ask is because I've owned a couple of the adjustable zoom torches and I found those to be just junk. The beam pattern on those have just hideous secondary rings in the beam pattern that are very distracting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

These new adjustable aspheric lamps are interesting. Pardon me for going off subject a moment but since you are the first to say they own one I have a couple questions: Do you get any secondary rings from the lamp beam pattern when adjusted to a tighter beam pattern? The reason I ask is because I've owned a couple of the adjustable zoom torches and I found those to be just junk. The beam pattern on those have just hideous secondary rings in the beam pattern that are very distracting.
    I do some beam shots next time I'm out for a ride, but to describe from memory... When beam pattern is tight, for spot/long throw I didn't really notice any specific rings, it's a fairly smooth transition from hotspot center to outside edge. Bear in mind through when really really tight, the hotspot is a square and very discernible. As mentioned earlier, I tend to adjust so its tight, but just rounded off the square. Now when fully adjusted out in flood mode, there is a very distinct ring on the edge. Not multiple rings, just one really noticeable one. Again, I'll try to do some beam shots to help illuminate (hah, a pun!) my description.

mtbr member
    That would be great, bad andy!
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok, I won't do that again But have others any experience with the 3XML battery from DX or KD?

Please, please!....do not group the ebay lamp / battery sellers in with the stuff you buy directly from China ( from a Chinese web site.) "Deal Extreme".."Kaidomain" and other Chinese web sites need to be judged by their own merits ( or faults ). A lot of people have bought directly from the Chinese web sites over the years and there have been few complaints about the batteries.
    I'm not saying they're the best quality but no where near as bad as what some ebay sellers are selling. Now if someone bought a Tri-Clone directly from the Chinese web sites and got a bum battery I'd like to hear about it.

Quoted by Bad Andy:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Ok, I won't do that again But have others any experience with the 3XML battery from DX or KD?
    I remember reading posts of people who bought lights from DX and KD but not the Tri-Clone light specifically. Still even if you buy the Tri-Clone from DX, KD ( or other Chinese site ) while I expect the battery to be better it still will not give you significantly more run time. Maybe 1.5hr on high at best. Nope, to run a 3 XM-L light you need more capacity, at least 5200mAh. That would get you almost two hours on high. Better would be something over 6000mAh.

The real screw with these Tri-clone lamps is the lack of a low battery warning. At least lamps with blinking red leds when the battery gets low give you something to think about. They ( the warning leds ) won't work the same in cold weather but they're better than nothing.

If I was going to buy another Tri-Clone lamp I likely would buy from a place like CNqualitygoods.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast