Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 371
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Automotive style lights can be equipped with a not very efficient electronics (b/c of the wide power input).

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: patski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    556

    Cheep LED Lights

    I tried the china game, too far, too slow, sjit for refunds.

    Now I have some Amazon chinacheepies(see amazon links below) that all came with 2 day shipping

    The weak point in most of these lights are the batteries, I have a couple of Panasonic packs from an ebay seller called Hunk Lee

    This looks pretty awesome, SecurityIng® 6000LM 5 x CREE XM-L T6 LED

    I have one of these on my helmet, 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED

    lots to choose from, SecurityIng : Cycling

    I have a 4xCREE light on my bars with a 6 cell battery.

  3. #53
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,738
    This is going to be the next "game changer" light from China. 360 degrees of rotation, why didn't I think of that

    VICMAX VI-06 Rotatable 800lm 3-Mode Cool White Bicycle Headlamp w/ Cree XM-L2 T6 - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme


    *****

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    This is going to be the next "game changer" light from China. 360 degrees of rotation, why didn't I think of that

    VICMAX VI-06 Rotatable 800lm 3-Mode Cool White Bicycle Headlamp w/ Cree XM-L2 T6 - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme


    *****
    Haha, these guys are smoking the good stuff!

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760

  6. #56
    Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Reputation: kwarwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,388
    If only it was possible that it ran anywhere near 60W. I suspect you'd be lucky to see 20W. Biggest problem I see is the 8.4V battery means the light head would need to be drawing over 7 amps from the battery. The connectors and relatively thin gauge power cables these Chinese lights use just can't pass that kind of current. The next problem is the light body just doesn't have the heat sink area to dissipate that much waste heat.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Agree, I would say it is somewhere around the 7-UPs (at most 30-36W). But quite unique so I posted it here 4 in 1 SolarStorm X2.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    277
    Any new recommendations from this year's lights? My friend is looking, and I'm comfortable recommending him the same 2x & 3x setup that I have, but if there's something better (bright-er_light-er_wid-er_strong-er) out there...

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Don't think any gamechangers out now. This 2X looks quite interesting with tir optics: New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here - Page 2
    and this 3X runs fine also, if you change the driver for a KD one, you can get 30W out of it: WindFire 3 x CREE XM-L T6 1200lm 5-Mode
    It is small, compact and uses a 26mm flashlight driver, smaller than the 3XML clone and Skyray S6, all leds are lit in every mode, weight is about a Solarstorm X3. Besides these there are SS X2, SS X3, MJ-880 clone and yinding - gloworm X2 clone ... each with different UI

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    New tri-shot at LM appeared today, with a touch interface(?), stepless, heatsinked (somewhat ridiculous), nice weight, prolly hard to take apart ... might be a gamechanger ...

    Ultra bright 3*Cree XM-L2 5-Mode 3600 Lumens LED Bike light (Only lamp cap) - 3LED Bike Light - LED Bicycle Lights - Bike Lights & Headlamps Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

    Name:  ultra_bright_3cree_xm-l2_5-mode_3600_lumens_led_bike_light_only_lamp_cap_.jpg
Views: 3489
Size:  14.8 KB

    Name:  ultra_bright_3cree_xm-l2_5-mode_3600_lumens_led_bike_light_3_.jpg
Views: 3600
Size:  19.8 KB

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    277
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a KD MJ-880 clone and it is solid, but I have read that new newer ones were getting cheaply built? Maybe the one you posted in the other thread (http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023301) is a better buy at the moment? Does any one own one and can comment on the beam pattern? Hmm, I do like the looks of the 3X light. My 3X unit is powerful, but as I have said in other threads, I do not like the hot spot it creates.

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Just note the power input of that new 2x KD light is 4.2V. I assume it won't draw 4-5A to match the 16-18W of SS X2.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Name:  ultra_bright_3cree_xm-l2_5-mode_3600_lumens_led_bike_light_only_lamp_cap_.jpg
Views: 3489
Size:  14.8 KB
    Name:  ultra_bright_3cree_xm-l2_5-mode_3600_lumens_led_bike_light_3_.jpg
Views: 3600
Size:  19.8 KB
    Thats tiny Length (70mm)
    You think your going to get one MK96?
    What that on the back about Gears? Anyone know

    Looking at UniqueFire HD-016 2x Cree XM-L2

    PALIGHT XC40 2x Cree XM-L2
    ^ got a switch and combos.

    Do like my Yinding on my lid but would like it to be more of a spot.


    Thanks Iv been lazy should had a look see if there was a review on Palight.
    Last edited by Smoke&Lasers; 09-10-2014 at 12:39 PM.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    I am tempted to get one I think it is just an indication what you are running actually - 5mode/stepless.

    Personally I don't like the various depth of the reflectors on the HD-016

    That Palight XC40 has somewhere here on forums a small review and not a good one

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke&Lasers View Post
    Thats tiny Length (70mm)
    You think your going to get one MK96?
    What that on the back about Gears? Anyone know

    Looking at UniqueFire HD-016 2x Cree XM-L2

    PALIGHT XC40 2x Cree XM-L2
    ^ got a switch and combos.

    Do like my Yinding on my lid but would like it to be more of a spot.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    Of all the new stuff I've seen this year, this is the one I'm most interested in so far.
    I have a Yinding from last year that I use on my helmet (love the Yinding). I use a triple on my bars, but rarely use all 3 leds (to conserve battery, and not much difference between 2 LEDs and 3 LEDs anyway).
    So, I was just going to get another Yinding, but I like variety, and trying new lights, so I think I'm going to give the Uniquefire a try. I like the spot/flood feature. I like that it has a little "visor" so that when I'm cranking with my head out over my bars, the light won't blind me as easily. And of course I like that it comes in red so it matches my Yinding.

    Anyone get one yet?

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    Does anyone know where you can buy just the diffused lenses that fit these?

    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    I got these MT-05 and MT-05s lights recently for the kids. They use one on the helmet and one on the handlebar. Broad beam version has lens with diffuser. Narrow beam uses a reflector. Cheap from Fastech and so far I've been really impressed with them. Use the XML-L2 U2 emitter (die is silver colour not green). More info and pics here.


  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,055
    Okay, here's the issue with the duel XM-L2 Uniquefire's; As nice as they look they are doing the 1LED-the other LED- both LED, type of mode operation. I think the reason they are doing this is because one LED is using a shallower flood reflector ( low ), the other a normal deeper reflector spot ( called medium ) Both LED's are lit for High. I almost bought one of these myself but when I saw how the modes worked I bailed. I would rather they use a typical SSX2 UI ( with all led's lit all the time ) I do however like the idea of the single flood reflector. Undoubtedly it will work good on the bars but I just wish all the leds would stay lit for every mode.

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    85
    Cat-man-do
    Didn't see that about single led lit at one time.

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    +1 to this. But a driver swap (from SS X2) might solve this nicely :-P

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Does anyone know where you can buy just the diffused lenses that fit these?
    I've posted before that mine came without the diffuser lens (standard glass - which by the way showed 18% light loss in an integrating sphere!). The light uses a 21mm lens, but I am unsure on the depth. I am about to order some AR coated glass lenses and this 20mm striped TIR from KD to try out. I don't expect to have my order for 3 to 4 weeks.

    -Garry

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke&Lasers View Post
    Cat-man-do
    Didn't see that about single led lit at one time.
    Yeah, they write it in a way that is deceptive.

    The other lamp that was mentioned ( Palight XC40 ) has a flood and spot reflector but has a separate switch for each LED ( if I understand correctly ). Not a total deal breaker but the XC40 doesn't look as nice as the UF.

    @ MK96...you could swap the driver but I'm sure that's not so easy to do. It might be easier to just take a SSX2 and see if you can find a suitable sized flood optic ( or flood lens ) and fit it over one of the LEDs.

    @ Fightnut....Probably the best way to go about getting the lens you want is to just buy another *BUT from another vendor. I see those little single LED lamps all over the place. The price is not so significant that it would be that much difference even if you found a place that sold the lens separately. Look at it this way; you buy the lens for $16 including free shipping and they give you the lamp for free. Then you have two working lamps OR you sell the one you don't want ( or give it to your kid brother )

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Oh, yes, I didn't say it is an easy job. But if someone has a spare SS X2 with burned leds and likes the look of the UF HD ...

    Anyway I find that Palight abit pricey

  23. #73
    Finally!
    Reputation: Terranaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    745
    So I decided to start night riding and originaly went to my LBS and asked them for something bright in the $50 range. They sold me a Blackburn3.3 that came with a Mars tail light.


    And it looks like this at night



    Garbage...great to let cars see you but useless on the trail.
    So I bought a 7 cree xml2 cheap chinese light which cost about the same as the Blackburn.



    And it looks like this at night



    So I have used it a few times now and the battery has lasted my full ride every time.
    So IMHO Cheap Chinese lights for the win!!
    Got it here

    7X Cree XM L T6 LED 9000LM Front Bicycle Light Bike Lamp Headllight Waterproof | eBay

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,055
    In keeping with the "New Chinese Light" theme I decided to review one of the 6-ups.
    In a nutshell I was approached and asked to review a product for one of the Chinese websites. Since I generally don't like these kind of lamps I balked at first but then saw one on their website I though might be of interest to others ( if not to me ).

    Basically it will have 6 x XM-L2's ( in standard round casing ) and have a standard three mode user interface ( L-M-H ). No flash was listed. Like most of these lamps it has the typical multi-reflector set-up. It is supposed to include a 6-cell battery and cost about $61 USD. I'll supply the link when the product arrives. Being shipped from China it should take about three weeks to get to me. Hopefully when it arrives it won't have one of those "number of LED's for each mode: type UI. If it does I'll be pissed.

    BTW, with days getting shorter you might consider ordering stuff before the seasonal rush starts and the Chinese vendors run out of stuff and start back-ordering. Just a thought.

    *Update, the UI is confirmed to be with ALL LED on for every mode. Supposedly to be over 5000 lumen but if it actually appears over 2000 lumen I will be pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 09-12-2014 at 01:01 AM.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Any picture? I will write a review of a Skyray S6-like 6-up, but it works in 2-4-6 leds + strobe modes. Anyway I've got a DX stepless driver to replace the original. Mine 6-up has the same dimensions as the Skyray S6 3-shot so it is not that large.

  26. #76
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    These ginormous 6-8 LED lights are just hideous to me...sorry. Seems like you can get a much smaller and lighter unit that will light your way just as well.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,100
    I would be highly concerned about battery life in these multi-emitter lights (beyond 4 XM-Ls). There's always a trade-off.

    -Garry

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    85
    Spinal Tap - These go to eleven

    3 LEDs or 6 LEDs

  29. #79
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I would be highly concerned about battery life in these multi-emitter lights (beyond 4 XM-Ls). There's always a trade-off.

    -Garry
    Seems like you would have to use one of the v. large batteries for these (6 cell).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    I hear ya Cat, but that isn't a big issue for me. I'm always going to use it with both leds ON, so just 3 quick clicks and I'm good to go. I have one of the popular triple's from a year or two ago, and I have to click three times to get to high on that one too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Okay, here's the issue with the duel XM-L2 Uniquefire's; As nice as they look they are doing the 1LED-the other LED- both LED, type of mode operation. I think the reason they are doing this is because one LED is using a shallower flood reflector ( low ), the other a normal deeper reflector spot ( called medium ) Both LED's are lit for High. I almost bought one of these myself but when I saw how the modes worked I bailed. I would rather they use a typical SSX2 UI ( with all led's lit all the time ) I do however like the idea of the single flood reflector. Undoubtedly it will work good on the bars but I just wish all the leds would stay lit for every mode.

  31. #81
    Finally!
    Reputation: Terranaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    745
    The one I have had lasted over 2hrs on high. My friend has a single led light and his does not. So the batteries are the weak/hit and miss part of the light. Some are good and some are not

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    426
    Now were up to 9 LED's in one. I'm gonna hold out for 10!

    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/Details.S023271

  33. #83
    Finally!
    Reputation: Terranaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    745
    Ebay has 15 in a flashlight so you might as well hold out for 15

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,055
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    These ginormous 6-8 LED lights are just hideous to me...sorry. Seems like you can get a much smaller and lighter unit that will light your way just as well.
    As you know I am very inclined to agree with you as I just love my Gloworm X2. Still some folks can't afford the price so I thought I'd do one of these since I've never seen more than 4 led's in a lamp before ( in person that is ) and this one actually has three steady modes ( which is somewhat unique for this type of lamp ).

    @MK96....Name:  1386180545648-P-1322800.jpg
Views: 2339
Size:  7.2 KB

    @MB323 x 2 ....it's not the number of LED's that's so important, it's the power that you can supply to those LED's that will determine how bright the lamp will be. Very few of these lamps have listed what the total power output is.

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    As you know I am very inclined to agree with you as I just love my Gloworm X2. Still some folks can't afford the price so I thought I'd do one of these since I've never seen more than 4 led's in a lamp before ( in person that is ) and this one actually has three steady modes ( which is somewhat unique for this type of lamp ).

    @MK96....Name:  1386180545648-P-1322800.jpg
Views: 2339
Size:  7.2 KB
    Dont even bother. We tested it last year.

    It is big, it tilts forward when riding gets rough, but the main fail is, that it is not much brighter than average 2xXML chinese clone. Maybe 20% more brightness. The beam pattern is
    nice for us alpine vertriders. It is quite floody and even.
    We tried to mod it by changing the driver for more power/brightness but we ran into a problem when discovered the LEDs being wired 3S2P. That is not a good way to connect LEDs
    We changed the driver but didnt get much more light. The 4xXML with the same driver is seems a bit brighter than this one.

    here are some pics












  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    85
    ;o What's a driver.

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,100
    A driver controls the current sent to the LEDs and controls modes, switch functions, etc . . .

    -Garry

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,055
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    Dont even bother. We tested it last year.

    It is big, it tilts forward when riding gets rough, but the main fail is, that it is not much brighter than average 2xXML chinese clone. Maybe 20% more brightness. The beam pattern is
    nice for us alpine vertriders. It is quite floody and even.
    We tried to mod it by changing the driver for more power/brightness but we ran into a problem when discovered the LEDs being wired 3S2P. That is not a good way to connect LEDs
    We changed the driver but didnt get much more light. The 4xXML with the same driver is seems a bit brighter than this one.....
    Well you said you did this last year. Was yours built with the XM-L2?...was it a 3-mode driver with 3 steady modes?

    I theorized myself that the LEDs might be 3S/2P. While not the ideal situation I thought a boost driver might be used. If the driver supplied 6A that could mean 3A per parallel circuit. With 3A to each LED this could theoretically be a very bright lamp. Do I think it will be a 6A driver under the hood? I doubt it but if it does I will be as surprised as everyone else. With luck I'll have some idea in 16 days or so.

    I'm expected this lamp to output something around 2000 lumen. If the actually output ends up to look brighter than two of my brightest lamps in combo I will be pleasantly pleased. If it doesn't I won't be losing any sleep over the issue. If it ends up looking as bright as my gloworm X2 alone than at least it might be worth actually buying one.

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    123
    XML, 3 mode... HI, LOW, STOBE

    Maybe they changed things in a year time... interesting to see.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Cat-man-do, thanks for providing a picture, we will link the review in this thread ;-)

    Ladies, the usual problem is that most of the budget 2-3-6-... LED lamps hit the max. power limit at ~16W. The only main differences are the beam pattern and user interface, some other can be a LED tint, weight, little power difference due to efficiency of more leds connected... The limit is probably due to weak batteries to get somewhat reasonable run time. There are a few exceptions like those purple/grey 7-UPs reviewed but I didn't find anything else in the budget price range.

    Ti-Geo the amount of light is always a question. Sometime I am completely satisfied with an MJ-880 clone but when I want to avoid a close-up with a wild boars hanging around in a decent group I am really happy with hell-a-wide pattern of the 7-UP combo on the bars. This saved my a$$ a couple of times

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,100
    New at FastTech today:

    New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)-1859104-8.jpg

    New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)-1859104-2.jpg

    BK008 2xXM-L2 with Mobile Power Bank Battery Pack and remote switch. Beam not wide enough for me, but perhaps a good candidate for swapping optics. Wish it had heatsink grooves though.

    -Garry

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    I think they are the same: http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023301
    Unfortunately it runs from a 4.2V battery.

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,055
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    ....the usual problem is that most of the budget 2-3-6-... LED lamps hit the max. power limit at ~16W. The only main differences are the beam pattern and user interface, some other can be a LED tint, weight, little power difference due to efficiency of more leds connected... The limit is probably due to weak batteries to get somewhat reasonable run time. There are a few exceptions like those purple/grey 7-UPs reviewed but I didn't find anything else in the budget price range...
    Yes, the big question is the maximum power output of the driver. Next is the dispersion and throw of the multi-reflector and then lastly the output spacing of the 3 modes.

    Like you said most budget multi-LED lamps ( 3 or more ) have crappy drivers. Only two of the cheaper lamps I own ( the Manta ray D003 and the Nitefire Hero 2 ( triple S-storm clone ) seem to have better drivers. These are the only two I have that come close to my Gloworm X2 ( 1500 lumen ). If this 6-up manages to look brighter than the X2 I will be impressed. "How impressed", will depend on just how bright the lamp actually is.

    If it turns out to be only about as bright as the D003 I will be disappointed. I figure it this way, if you're gonna use a lamp this big on the bars it has to worthy of it's keep. **Both the D003 and Hero 2 are bright enough to earn their keep ( **weight/size to lumen output ratio is acceptable ). The Black/red 6-up ( I'll nickname, BR-6 ) is big and going to be heavy. That said it needs to be over 1500 lumen if it's going to earn a spot on my handlebars. If the lamp turns out to be only slightly brighter it will real hard to judge. That means it will have to be "noticeably brighter" to earn a thumbs up.

    About the battery: yes the battery is important. If by chance the driver can output 6A the battery needs to be able to supply the juice needed. I believe this lamp comes with a 6-cell. I asked that the lamp be sent separately and that the battery be sent later so I'll be sure to get the lamp ASAP. In keeping with this I will test the lamp both with my good Xeccon batteries and with the included battery when ( or if ) it comes.

  44. #94
    Just Ride !
    Reputation: C.M.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    832
    Like the looks of this that actually has a real bar mount , although I wonder what the true lm's are

    CREE 2000LM XM L T6 LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Headlamp Light 18650 Charger Set | eBay
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Like the looks of this that actually has a real bar mount , although I wonder what the true lm's are

    CREE 2000LM XM L T6 LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Headlamp Light 18650 Charger Set | eBay

    I actually have that light! I bought it due to the appeal of using (2) 18650's in parallel (I would use unprotected cells without much risk). It's a really crappy light. Very cheaply made. Battery compartment very flimsy. Plastic lens and no thermal paste under the emitter. I swapped mine to a neutral white tint and added the thermal paste. Oh - and like the 808 clones, very little thermal contact between the pill and the body. Real deciding factor not to use it is that low mode is too low for cycling (perhaps while stopped for repairs/snack). High isn't that great, guessing maybe 500 to 600 lumens.

    If you look in the SolarStorm X3 thread for the link to my PhotoBucket album for the X3 you will find beamshot photos of it. The file names will say "two parallel light" I believe.

    -Garry

  46. #96
    Just Ride !
    Reputation: C.M.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I actually have that light! I bought it due to the appeal of using (2) 18650's in parallel (I would use unprotected cells without much risk). It's a really crappy light. Very cheaply made. Battery compartment very flimsy. Plastic lens and no thermal paste under the emitter. I swapped mine to a neutral white tint and added the thermal paste. Oh - and like the 808 clones, very little thermal contact between the pill and the body. Real deciding factor not to use it is that low mode is too low for cycling (perhaps while stopped for repairs/snack). High isn't that great, guessing maybe 500 to 600 lumens.

    If you look in the SolarStorm X3 thread for the link to my PhotoBucket album for the X3 you will find beamshot photos of it. The file names will say "two parallel light" I believe.

    -Garry
    Oh I'll take your word that it's crappy , I'm almost thinking about abondoning the idea of getting a cheap Chinese light and save up for and pay extra extra for a well known higher end brand ..

    But then again I've heard some good things about this

    $52.02 YINDING 2*Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Bike Light / Headlamp - 1*battery pack (4*18650 / 4400mAh / 2S2P) / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

    Not sure about this one

    $11.97 UltraFire MT-40 1*Cree XM-L T6 3-Mode 900LM Cool White LED Bike Light - red at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

    Maybe yinding for the bars and MT-40 for the helmet ??

    Or does anyone have any experience with this

    2000 LM CREE XM L U2 LED Cycling Head Front Bike Lamp Bicycle Light Headlamp | eBay
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

  47. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    **Both the D003 and Hero 2 are bright enough to earn their keep ( **weight/size to lumen output ratio is acceptable ).
    Yes, I forgot to mention the "stepless" driver that is present in some of the lights - that is a step forward. MantaRay and some other 3XML light that I posted here have it. The stepless driver is about $5 at DX. But if yours 6-up come with a stepless driver it will be a ~22W light from the specs in the discussion about the driver at DX forum.

    Yinding is a good light if you get the original and maybe some of the clones with the stepless driver.

    MT-40 has a small review here in this thread.

    Tee last one isn't anywhere near 2000lm, should be 500lm at the best bet

  48. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,103
    The Yinding is a great light! It's one of my favorites.

    I would avoid the one in your last link. Those "zoomable" lights are neat, but aren't very practical. They aren't very bright in flood mode, and have a terrible set of rings around the outside edge of the beam.

    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Oh I'll take your word that it's crappy , I'm almost thinking about abondoning the idea of getting a cheap Chinese light and save up for and pay extra extra for a well known higher end brand ..

    But then again I've heard some good things about this

    $52.02 YINDING 2*Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Bike Light / Headlamp - 1*battery pack (4*18650 / 4400mAh / 2S2P) / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

    Not sure about this one

    $11.97 UltraFire MT-40 1*Cree XM-L T6 3-Mode 900LM Cool White LED Bike Light - red at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

    Maybe yinding for the bars and MT-40 for the helmet ??

    Or does anyone have any experience with this

    2000 LM CREE XM L U2 LED Cycling Head Front Bike Lamp Bicycle Light Headlamp | eBay

  49. #99

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: patski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    556
    Pulled out my SecurityIng lights last week to make sure everything was working ok, my 3X Cree had a cracked lens, thought a bit about being stuck 10miles from nowhere and then ordered a gloworm x2 from Action-LED, at least I'm guaranteed to be able to "see" my way home even if I'm walking....

    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I tried the china game, too far, too slow, shipping eats up your refunds.

    I have one of these X2 TYPE on my helmet, 2600 chinese Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED

    lots to choose from, SecurityIng : Cycling

    I have a 3xCREE light on my bars with a 6 cell battery.
    Attachment 925865

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mini Review + Beam shots: Xeccon VS other Chinese lights
    By Rocky Raccoon in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 02:13 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-20-2013, 07:06 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 03:55 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 04:34 AM
  5. HALF link link needed ,using 9spd sram geared chain
    By zippy895 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •