Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)

101K views 370 replies 69 participants last post by  varider 
#1 · (Edited)
New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)

I started this thread to post some info about new Chinese lights. Feel free to post new lights here with link and a link to a review (here on MTBR or everywhere else) Let's keep it clean so we can get a good overview and info at one place ;-)

#35 ·
I got these MT-05 and MT-05s lights recently for the kids. They use one on the helmet and one on the handlebar. Broad beam version has lens with diffuser. Narrow beam uses a reflector. Cheap from Fastech and so far I've been really impressed with them. Use the XML-L2 U2 emitter (die is silver colour not green). More info and pics here.
Thanks TigWorld! I've wondered about that MT-05S light! So tell us more. Is it all flood with very little throw? 1A @ 8.4v, does this mean the output at the LED is close to 2A? 2A sounds decent, esp. for a stock light. How's the build quality? Heatsinking?

Thanks,
Garry

#36 ·
The light output for both types is good. The spread beam version is perfect on the handlebars and puts out a nice wide beam and is brighter, bigger and more consistent than my Magicshine clone with broad beam diffuser lens. It does not have a lot of throw, but combined with the non-S version on the helmet it is almost the perfect lightweight, long run-time setup for offroad singletrack. Heat dissapation seems good, although its winter here so every light runs pretty cool. The ring light is an interesting addition. It's a very diffuse, not too bright light that is good for trailside mechanical repairs or seeing around camp at night.

Yep. 1A @ 8.4V so taking into account the driver losses, maybe 1.6-1.8A at the emitter.

#41 ·
These are bright lights. You didn't mention how old your kids were but if they are under 12yrs of age they need to know that these lamps can blind people if used improperly.

...makes me remember my first bike lights, which back in those days were the cheap 2watt D-cell, silver tear drop shaped lamps that bolted to the handlebars. They didn't provide much light but as a kid I didn't care as long as I could avoid hitting a pot hole. Ah, those were the days.

#50 ·
A better idea rather than using a cheapo chinese bicycle lights is... to use a good cheap 12v x 4 XM-L U2 light for ATV / UTV rated at 2500-2600 of true lumens. You can buy only a head and equip it with a good 12-14v battery. The pros are that such light stays not overheated even when not moving (due to its size) and it provides a wider beam and is brighter even than Gloworm XS. The cons is that you will get only one-mode light (but you could change the driver and add a remote control).
30W 12V 3000LM CREE T6 LED Driving Fog Light Lamp Rally Ranger 4x4 Dirt ATV | eBay

2x 2 Inch 30W 3600LM CREE Led Work Light Bar Spot Off road Boat Lamp UTE ATV

#52 ·
Cheep LED Lights

I tried the china game, too far, too slow, sjit for refunds.

Now I have some Amazon chinacheepies(see amazon links below) that all came with 2 day shipping

The weak point in most of these lights are the batteries, I have a couple of Panasonic packs from an ebay seller called Hunk Lee

This looks pretty awesome, SecurityIng® 6000LM 5 x CREE XM-L T6 LED

I have one of these on my helmet, 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED

lots to choose from, SecurityIng : Cycling

I have a 4xCREE light on my bars with a 6 cell battery.

#56 ·
If only it was possible that it ran anywhere near 60W. I suspect you'd be lucky to see 20W. Biggest problem I see is the 8.4V battery means the light head would need to be drawing over 7 amps from the battery. The connectors and relatively thin gauge power cables these Chinese lights use just can't pass that kind of current. The next problem is the light body just doesn't have the heat sink area to dissipate that much waste heat.

#59 ·
Don't think any gamechangers out now. This 2X looks quite interesting with tir optics: New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :) - Page 2
and this 3X runs fine also, if you change the driver for a KD one, you can get 30W out of it: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...m-l-t6-1200lm-5-mode-928009.html#post11411220
It is small, compact and uses a 26mm flashlight driver, smaller than the 3XML clone and Skyray S6, all leds are lit in every mode, weight is about a Solarstorm X3. Besides these there are SS X2, SS X3, MJ-880 clone and yinding - gloworm X2 clone ... each with different UI ;)

#63 · (Edited)
#61 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have a KD MJ-880 clone and it is solid, but I have read that new newer ones were getting cheaply built? Maybe the one you posted in the other thread (http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023301) is a better buy at the moment? Does any one own one and can comment on the beam pattern? Hmm, I do like the looks of the 3X light. My 3X unit is powerful, but as I have said in other threads, I do not like the hot spot it creates.

#67 ·
Okay, here's the issue with the duel XM-L2 Uniquefire's; As nice as they look they are doing the 1LED-the other LED- both LED, type of mode operation. I think the reason they are doing this is because one LED is using a shallower flood reflector ( low ), the other a normal deeper reflector spot ( called medium ) Both LED's are lit for High. I almost bought one of these myself but when I saw how the modes worked I bailed. I would rather they use a typical SSX2 UI ( with all led's lit all the time ) I do however like the idea of the single flood reflector. Undoubtedly it will work good on the bars but I just wish all the leds would stay lit for every mode.

#71 ·
Yeah, they write it in a way that is deceptive.

The other lamp that was mentioned ( Palight XC40 ) has a flood and spot reflector but has a separate switch for each LED ( if I understand correctly ). Not a total deal breaker but the XC40 doesn't look as nice as the UF.

@ MK96...you could swap the driver but I'm sure that's not so easy to do. It might be easier to just take a SSX2 and see if you can find a suitable sized flood optic ( or flood lens ) and fit it over one of the LEDs.

@ Fightnut....Probably the best way to go about getting the lens you want is to just buy another *BUT from another vendor. I see those little single LED lamps all over the place. The price is not so significant that it would be that much difference even if you found a place that sold the lens separately. Look at it this way; you buy the lens for $16 including free shipping and they give you the lamp for free. ;) Then you have two working lamps OR you sell the one you don't want ( or give it to your kid brother )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.