Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was ordering something from amazon, and needed to add something to get free shipping. They didn't have free shipping on the 1200, but they did on the 900. We'll see how it works out. I have a 2014 Dinotte XML3 that I'm running on my helmet, but figured for $20 I'll toss it on the bars and see what happens.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I have one of these on my helmet, 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED
    Do you have the battery pack mounted on your helmet or in a pack? Thinking of getting this light for use on my helmet... Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There are people that will mount the battery to the back of the helmet. I find that to be way too much weight, so I put mine in my backpack.
    Depending on the light (some lights have different length cords), and your backpack, you may want to buy an extension cable too, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by bajawaldo View Post
    Do you have the battery pack mounted on your helmet or in a pack? Thinking of getting this light for use on my helmet... Thanks.

I like turtles
    Jersey pocket.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

I like turtles
    I just can't see how you wouldn't notice the weight on your helmet - I suppose if you use a 2-cell pack it wouldn't be that bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Had a chit-chat with LM a couple of days ago and the news is that it is not stepless I liked it a lot and was thinking to get one to review

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    New tri-shot at LM appeared today, with a touch interface(?), stepless, heatsinked (somewhat ridiculous), nice weight, prolly hard to take apart ... might be a gamechanger ...

Ultra bright 3*Cree XM-L2 5-Mode 3600 Lumens LED Bike light (Only lamp cap) - 3LED Bike Light - LED Bicycle Lights - Bike Lights & Headlamps Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

Attachment 922122

Attachment 922123

mtbr member
    Had a chit-chat with LM a couple of days ago and the news is that it is not stepless I liked it a lot and was thinking to get one to review
    Interesting. The product description gives it as 5-mode, H,M,L, strobe, SOS.
    Oddly though the back of the lamp indicates it has a stepless menu and an apparent flush mode button. Depending on the driver it could still be a bright light. Once again, I really hate the ambiguity ( or contradiction ) with the product descriptions and product photos used by some of the Chinese web sites. A PITA to buy something, wait a month to get it only to find that what you thought you were getting isn't what you actually got. Brings new meaning to the term, "Rolling the dice".

Personally I'm waiting for the Solarstorm 3-xml's to start using the XM-L2's ( preferably with U2 )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post

Personally I'm waiting for the Solarstorm 3-xml's to start using the XM-L2's ( preferably with U2 )
    The SolarStorm X3? Mine came with XM-L2's.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    The SolarStorm X3? Mine came with XM-L2's.

-Garry
    Where did you buy your lamp?

mtbr member
    EBay. Seller named "Jingle Shop" or something like that. Bought head only on a cheap auction with no bidders. Was advertised as XM-L, and I think the pics showed XM-L2's. I was swapping emitters anyway, so I didn't care.

BTW-Did my first reflowing of LEDs. Piece of cake! I was so scared to try it, but it's so easy!

-Garry

mtbr member
    EBay. Seller named "Jingle Shop" or something like that. Bought head only on a cheap auction with no bidders. Was advertised as XM-L, and I think the pics showed XM-L2's. I was swapping emitters anyway, so I didn't care.

BTW-Did my first reflowing of LEDs. Piece of cake! I was so scared to try it, but it's so easy!

-Garry
    Well, FWIW I looked all over the place and couldn't find anyone selling a Solarstorm or S-clone using XM-L2 emitters. Any way I have the Nitefire Hero 2 which is a SS X3 look alike only with a 6A driver ( using XM-L U2 ). If I can get a tool small enough to get the front hex screws off ( ~1mm ? ) I might attempt a replacement of the XML U2's for either XP-L's or XM-L2 U2's.

I'm going to assume replacing the emitters on the X3 was no problem.

Just Ride !
    Well, FWIW I looked all over the place and couldn't find anyone selling a Solarstorm or S-clone using XM-L2 emitters. Any way I have the Nitefire Hero 2 which is a SS X3 look alike only with a 6A driver ( using XM-L U2 ). If I can get a tool small enough to get the front hex screws off ( ~1mm ? ) I might attempt a replacement of the XML U2's for either XP-L's or XM-L2 U2's.

I'm going to assume replacing the emitters on the X3 was no problem.
    I'm getting a light that uses the XM-L T6 , is worth upgrading the emitter ?
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think there is almost no visible difference between L and L2, I have some beamshots in the Trustfire D014 thread with L and L2 compared.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The stepless UI was what I liked here. ... oh these contradictory descriptions

Interesting. The product description gives it as 5-mode, H,M,L, strobe, SOS.
    Oddly though the back of the lamp indicates it has a stepless menu and an apparent flush mode button. Depending on the driver it could still be a bright light. Once again, I really hate the ambiguity ( or contradiction ) with the product descriptions and product photos used by some of the Chinese web sites. A PITA to buy something, wait a month to get it only to find that what you thought you were getting isn't what you actually got. Brings new meaning to the term, "Rolling the dice".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    I'm getting a light that uses the XM-L T6 , is worth upgrading the emitter ?
    Depends on the lamp and how easy it is to access the emitters. I'm not big time into D.I.Y. As cheap as some of the newer lamps are you are likely better off just buying a lamp ( head only ) with better emitters already installed.

Then again it all depends on your personal riding style and how you are using the lamp. Nothing wrong with a lamp using XM-L T6 emitters. They are bright and good enough to ride anywhere you might want to ride. They just aren't the newest, brightest, most efficient Cree emitters available.

What lamp did you buy?

mtbr member
    My SSX3 emitters were easy to access. (3) 16mm boards. The hard part was soldering the wires. One board has two sets of wires attached (which are a parallel connection over to the middle board).

-Garry

Just Ride !
    Depends on the lamp and how easy it is to access the emitters. I'm not big time into D.I.Y. As cheap as some of the newer lamps are you are likely better off just buying a lamp ( head only ) with better emitters already installed.

Then again it all depends on your personal riding style and how you are using the lamp. Nothing wrong with a lamp using XM-L T6 emitters. They are bright and good enough to ride anywhere you might want to ride. They just aren't the newest, brightest, most efficient Cree emitters available.

What lamp did you buy?
    MS 816 clone , eBay bid won 17.50 so I'm not out a whole lot if it's crappy .

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Of all the new stuff I've seen this year, this is the one I'm most interested in so far.
    .... So, I was just going to get another Yinding, but I like variety, and trying new lights, so I think I'm going to give the Uniquefire a try. I like the spot/flood feature. I like that it has a little "visor" so that when I'm cranking with my head out over my bars, the light won't blind me as easily. And of course I like that it comes in red so it matches my Yinding.

Anyone get one yet?
    See my review.

mtbr member
    4 or 6 cell are way too heavy, If I had a decent two cell I might try the helmet, right now I usually use my jersey pocket(4cell) when it's warm and my camelback(4or6 cell) when it's cold.

Quote Originally Posted by bajawaldo View Post

I have one of these X2 TYPE on my helmet, 2600 chinese Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED

Old Noob
    Aug 2014
    Relatively new here and for the past few weeks I have been trying to get up to speed on lighting and mtn biking in general....so please bear with my noobiness. A lot has changed since I was last in the sport 15 years ago. Anyway, based on recommendations here, I ordered (mid Sept) the Yinding from Wallbuys. Well its still not here and the days are getting shorter (and wetter unfortunately). So I wanted something sooner rather than later and ordered this OXYLED BL15 from Amazon Canada. Its fulfilled by Amazon Canada and got here within 6 days incl. a weekend in between. Here is the vendors website. I have not had a chance to mount or try it as I just received it at work.

Initial inspection under a microscope shows that it uses 2 Cree XM-L2's (based on this website). It has two switches - one for on/off and one for low-med-high and hold for strobe. Batteries are no name. Comes with warranty card. Seems to be decently built but then again its my first light so I may not know the difference. Will try and get beam shots if you guys can guide me as well as additional info if you guys let me know what else you want me to post.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    That's a MagicShine MJ-880 clone, like sold at Kaidomain. Based on reports found on MTBR, I'd check the heatsinking / thermal path and make sure you have good contact with thermal heatsink compound between the LED board and the body of the light. Otherwise it looks like you found one at a good decent price.
    Also based on reports here, the Yinding will likely have bad heatsinking, so that one needs looked into as well.

-Garry

Old Noob
    Aug 2014
    That's a MagicShine MJ-880 clone, like sold at Kaidomain. Based on reports found on MTBR, I'd check the heatsinking / thermal path and make sure you have good contact with thermal heatsink compound between the LED board and the body of the light. Otherwise it looks like you found one at a good decent price.
    Also based on reports here, the Yinding will likely have bad heatsinking, so that one needs looked into as well.

-Garry
    I figured it was a clone but my noobiness failed to find which one. Thanks for pointing it out. I have since read a ton on the MJ-880. Seems like I made an OK purchase. It is helluva bright and the strobe almost made me have a seizure. Between this and the Yinding, which would be better for a helmet mount? Or should I be looking for something else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOOSEWHEEL View Post
    I figured it was a clone but my noobiness failed to find which one. Thanks for pointing it out. I have since read a ton on the MJ-880. Seems like I made an OK purchase. It is helluva bright and the strobe almost made me have a seizure. Between this and the Yinding, which would be better for a helmet mount? Or should I be looking for something else?

The Kaidomain clone doesn't have the strobe which is nice for trail riding..
    But the yinding is significantly smaller (almost 1/2 size) and makes a nice helmet light.

Old Noob
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ljracer View Post
    The Kaidomain clone doesn't have the strobe which is nice for trail riding..
    But the yinding is significantly smaller (almost 1/2 size) and makes a nice helmet light.
    I think the Kaidomain does have a strobe....at least that's what the description says.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    KD 880 SOS/strobe was usually hidden

I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules
    Wanted to chime in... I bought one of these this week (arrived a couple days ago)...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has the (4) settings [Low, Medium, High, Strobe] with rechargeable battery (stated to be the 6400mah version). I immediately tested it out in the back yard [have access to wide open terrain which mimics some trails around my area]. Let me say, that I am impressed with this product and the level of light that it produces, especially at $30 range!

Low = Bright and very useful [was not really wanting more light]
    Medium = A little brighter than low, but, expands the width of the vision
    High = Almost too bright to use [gets excessively hot to the touch, but, no damage to the light or bar mount was noticed].
    Strobe = obnoxious [reminds me of one of those Alien movies... was waiting for a monster to jump out, but, turned it off before the moster had a chance, as the strobe nearly made me pass out].

Before riding it, I tested out the battery twice, and leaving it on the High setting after fully charging the battery, I was amazed to get nearly 3 hours out of that charge. Although I don't think the battery will keep that kind of performance over the long haul, being that the Low setting is more than enough for me to enjoy riding at night [as the Medium and High settings actually created white dots off rocks for my eyes], I do expect that this setup will last at least the 1-2 hours on the Low setting for my night rides.

I did do the modification to the bottom of the light to install a real bar mount (off of one of my old Halogen lights, but, the Hope adapter would work too).

The only thing that really bothered me, was that I could not control the field of vision (norrow vs. wide) with the light, as it did not have (what I believe is called) a diffuser(?), although going from Low to Medium allowed a greater range of vision (left to right).
    Please Note: I'm being picky about the option to adjust the light, as some of the other more expensive lights don't really have this option either.

All in all, I would (and have ordered another) and have already recommended this same light to my friends.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report. I wonder if you could add diffusion film (DC Fix) to the 2nd and/or 3rd LED which could then provide wider lighting. The lens would have to stay in the correct position though. Not sure if that would work or not since it's one lens covering a triple reflector. There are methods to "orange peel" (OP) a reflector and could possible be done to the 2nd and/or 3rd reflector, though I don't think those methods would completely diffuse the light.

-Garry

mtbr member
    I had "one" of these lights on my bar, medium really has a nice spread, not much added brightness going to high. My glass is cracked and as soon as I get some dc-fix I'm going to try it on the whole glass/lens.

At least half my riding partners are now using it on the bars. I bought the 6 cell battery from amazoom too.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyAlumni View Post
    Wanted to chime in... I bought one of these this week (arrived a couple days ago)...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QX8B2Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It has the (4) settings [Low, Medium, High, Strobe] with rechargeable battery (stated to be the 6400mah version). I immediately tested it out in the back yard [have access to wide open terrain which mimics some trails around my area]. Let me say, that I am impressed with this product and the level of light that it produces, especially at $30 range!

Low = Bright and very useful [was not really wanting more light]
    Medium = A little brighter than low, but, expands the width of the vision
    High = Almost too bright to use [gets excessively hot to the touch, but, no damage to the light or bar mount was noticed].
    Strobe = obnoxious [reminds me of one of those Alien movies... was waiting for a monster to jump out, but, turned it off before the moster had a chance, as the strobe nearly made me pass out].

Before riding it, I tested out the battery twice, and leaving it on the High setting after fully charging the battery, I was amazed to get nearly 3 hours out of that charge. Although I don't think the battery will keep that kind of performance over the long haul, being that the Low setting is more than enough for me to enjoy riding at night [as the Medium and High settings actually created white dots off rocks for my eyes], I do expect that this setup will last at least the 1-2 hours on the Low setting for my night rides.

I did do the modification to the bottom of the light to install a real bar mount (off of one of my old Halogen lights, but, the Hope adapter would work too).

The only thing that really bothered me, was that I could not control the field of vision (norrow vs. wide) with the light, as it did not have (what I believe is called) a diffuser(?), although going from Low to Medium allowed a greater range of vision (left to right).
    Please Note: I'm being picky about the option to adjust the light, as some of the other more expensive lights don't really have this option either.

All in all, I would (and have ordered another) and have already recommended this same light to my friends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOOSEWHEEL View Post
    I think the Kaidomain does have a strobe....at least that's what the description says.
    I have been using some knock off cree lites off **ay, range between 20-45 bucks .. they work pretty good but the catch is the lights are fine but the battery life varies ...somes will last my 1hr 35min ride others only about 35mins . But i figured hey for 20 bucks what da heck ...just rock out!!! Im a husband and dad of 2 ..i cant explain to the ms why ive spent 3 hundreds plus on riding lights ......lol
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks Garry! Everyone is welcome to post info here. I was little frustrated seeing new thread without a review for every light that newly appears

Another stuff - the 7-up ugly one and little pricey too

From FT site: XM-L2 T6, battery pack 8.4V, Modes: Hi > Lo > Strobe.

Depth 47 mm
    Height 61 mm
    Width 172 mm
    Product Weight 420 g

$98.08 TrustFire TR-D013 7*Cree XM-L2 T6 3-Mode 3200LM Cool White LED Bike Light - US plug charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Attachment 884531

And a single led one:

From FT site: XM-L T6, output current 2.8A, battery pack 8.4V, Modes: Hi > Lo > Strobe.

Cable Length 70 cm
    Depth 40 mm
    Height 52 mm
    Width 51 mm
    Product Weight 114 g

$11.97 UltraFire MT-40 1*Cree XM-L T6 3-Mode 900LM Cool White LED Bike Light - gold at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Attachment 884533
    great finds ,searching this one for a long time,thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Tell me about that 7 up. What's the run time. Battery a 6 cell? And how bright is it. I'm assuming the current to the LED's is well reduced to get run time and not to melt the light head, etc.

mtbr member
    I actually bought the Securitylng version of the 7 LED model. It weight nearly an lb, but is surprising rock solid on my bars. More so than my 3x light. Even on low, it is noticeable brighter than my single housing 3x model. The included battery appears to be an 8 cell and was listed as 12000mAh, but I dont really look all that close at it. It could be a 6 cell. All I know is the battery pack is pretty heavy too.

I ran it on high for 45 minutes and the light turned orange so I ran it on low to finish my ride. I havent had time to test how long the full on high mode runs, but Im very impressed with the light output.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED 3800Lm LED Headlight Headlamp and Bicycle Light (Generic Packaging) : Bike Headlights : Sports & Outdoors
    [Snip..]

Do you think this is a better setup than having 2 single-led heads on the bars?
    I've hesitated pulling the trigger on a set of lights because of indecision paralysis over 2 possible setups:
    1) one 3 led head with diffuser lens on the bar, and a spot on the helmet
    2) two 1 led heads on the bar, each with its own battery, one with a diffuser and one not, and a spot on the head.

Setup one is more lumens, but if the bar battery goes, I lose a lot of light.
    setup two is less powerful but more adjustment, and more redundancy for failure protection.

mtbr member
    I ran two 1x lights w/wide lenes on my bars and a 2x on the helmet. I switched to a 3x on the bars (same one posted above) and it wasn't really much brighter but the beam pattern was much more floody (good thing IMO) and having a single light and battery took up less room.

I sold one of the 1x to a buddy for cheap and I carry the 2nd one in my pack as a backup.

mtbr member
    I discovered last night that the ActionLED beam diffuser works on this light head, nice!

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED 3800Lm LED Headlight Headlamp and Bicycle Light (Generic Packaging) : Bike Headlights : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Interesting! I'd like to see the effect of the beam going from 1 LED, to 2, to 3. So does the beam still get wider with each LED turned on? Or do you know just notice the brightness increase?

-Garry

mtbr member
    I have that light and the beam seems to get brighter, but not really any wider going from 1-2-3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I have that light and the beam seems to get brighter, but not really any wider going from 1-2-3.
    You're talking about with the standard lens, right? I'm asking in regards to using the wide angle lens.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Just fooling around in the garage, I might try for some beam shots tonight. I ended up putting the DC-FIX on the cracked lens, I'll test that too....

Interesting! I'd like to see the effect of the beam going from 1 LED, to 2, to 3. So does the beam still get wider with each LED turned on? Or do you know just notice the brightness increase? -Garry
    I discovered last night that the ActionLED beam diffuser works on this light head, nice!
    New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)-fullsizerender-14-.jpg

Finally!
    So many good Chinese lights out there with decent light patterns I don't see why anyone would buy a cheap light only to spend money on modifying it. There are many examples of good lights here and the ones with good batteries have good reviews.

mtbr member
    I know the wide lens from my 1x light fits the 3x light fine, but I've never seen the need to try it. Even in low (1 led on) the 3x has a much wider beam pattern than a standard 1x light. Its about the same as a 1x light with wide lens, but with a much more even light distribution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    So many good Chinese lights out there with decent light patterns I don't see why anyone would buy a cheap light only to spend money on modifying it. There are many examples of good lights here and the ones with good batteries have good reviews.
    Well, coming from a background in flashlight modding and DIY, I have to say that most of the fun is in the modding to make a good light better (or even a crap light great). It's just part of the hobby aspect. I can fully understand that many people just want a good light with a good battery and that's all.

I know the wide lens from my 1x light fits the 3x light fine, but I've never seen the need to try it. Even in low (1 led on) the 3x has a much wider beam pattern than a standard 1x light. Its about the same as a 1x light with wide lens, but with a much more even light distribution.
    That makes sense due to 1LED on the 3X light will be using a smaller reflector. Smaller reflector = floodier output (generally speaking). I've always felt (from reviews I read / beamshots) that the big con on this 3X light is the fact that 3xLEDs is hardly any different output from 2xLEDs, but yet consumes more battery power. I'm wondering if the use of the wide angle lens changes that aspect at all.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Today this one appeared at DX also:

1.5A, 4.2V, remote control and USB charging w/case. Seems interesting. Expected power ~5-6W.

New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)-sku_352096_5.jpg

Found something new again @ KD:

Attachment 905638

seems interesting & small enough Claimed high mode 3A@4.2V

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @ DX now also, but not a word about the stepless modes, only 5 -mode:

New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)-sku_353854_4.jpg

New tri-shot at LM appeared today, with a touch interface(?), stepless, heatsinked (somewhat ridiculous), nice weight, prolly hard to take apart ... might be a gamechanger ...

Ultra bright 3*Cree XM-L2 5-Mode 3600 Lumens LED Bike light (Only lamp cap) - 3LED Bike Light - LED Bicycle Lights - Bike Lights & Headlamps Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

Attachment 922122

Attachment 922123

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hay MK96 did you press the buy button last month on this?

;o I don't know what that is levels of light low med max?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nope I had a hope it is stepless.

Who are the brain police?
    Just pulled the trigger on this one. Can't lose for $15 shipping included (and 5,000 lumens too
    Amazon.com : 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED Cycling Bicycle Bike Light Lamp HeadLight Headlamp : Sports & OutdoorsName:  41OiZ8fjhHL.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  23.0 KB

Edit: the light arrived last night a couple of weeks ahead of the delivery date. Its smaller and brighter than my 900L Magicshine. Loved using it on my ride last night (using my MS battery). Why do people still pay hundreds for lights when these things are available? The build quality is impressive, though the battery pack that came with it is suspect. For $15 you can't beat this.
    Last edited by Locoman; 11-08-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    THIS: Replacement 8.4V 6600mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack

Maybe a handy addition..

Quote Originally Posted by Locoman View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on this one. Can't lose for $15 shipping included (and 5,000 lumens too
    Amazon.com : 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED Cycling Bicycle Bike Light Lamp HeadLight Headlamp : Sports & OutdoorsName:  41OiZ8fjhHL.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  23.0 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ... or a one that lasts longer from Xeccon, ActionLED, Hunk Lee.

mtbr member
    We found a seller that had a bunch for around that price and had horrible luck. The wire gauge was smaller than usual on both the battery and light, and out of the 6 lights ordered, all 6 has issues. 1 battery litterally blew up, 3 of the lights had 1 LED that didnt work or stopped working after the 1st use, 1 light stayed only in low mode, and two had buttons that didnt work.

Post up if it works fine. I think that style is perfect as a helmet light and I do have a good one I use myself.

mtbr member
    ... or a one that lasts longer from Xeccon, ActionLED, Hunk Lee.
    That would be a better solution by far..... having said that, I've had great luck with the 6 battery packs from AMZN, cant' beat the price, and 2day shipping for us on this side of the pond....

since I'd prefer a wider light span from the light on my bars, I ordered one...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My 3x unit has an annoying bright spot in the middle of the beam. I'm hoping the wide angle lens will diffuse that spot to some degree and make it more of an even flood pattern.

mtbr member
    I'll be doing trailwork tonight so I'll take my 3x light and try it with the wide lens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'll be doing trailwork tonight so I'll take my 3x light and try it with the wide lens.
    Did you try this yet? Mine is still in the mail, but since I now have a digital camera with full manual settings, I may try to get some before & after pics.

Just Ride !
    Where did you buy your lamp?
    Found this for the X2
    Upgraded Solarstorm Super X2 2 CREE XM L2 T6 LED Bicycle Bike Light Set Battery | eBay
    But at that price aren't you Better off with a yinding duo clone of clone's ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So that security lighthead is different in size than http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021404?!? I received the diffuser lens, but it looks to be too small for my lighthead

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Anyone tried this one yet? I semi-randomly picked it on ebay to give it a try... I'm not jazzed about the rubber band mounting so I'd be curious to see anyone's mounting mods.

6000LM 5X CREE XM L T6 LED Bicycle Torch Lamp Light 10000mAh Battery Pack US | eBay

since I'd prefer a wider light span from the light on my bars, I ordered one...
    UPDATE: patski, you're awesome... thanks for the heads-up on this!!!
    I received my diffuser yesterday and I must say, WOW! what a difference.
    My cheapo @mazon light and diffuser worked better than some of the other's more expensive lights. Although the plastic piece did seem to dim the light a little, it was still worth the lens swap. I use the low light on my 3x CREE and was completely happy with the output (that being said, the Medium setting will probably be what I will start using because the spread and brightness lights up the trail like a couple cars).

For anyone having issues with their lens swap, or who may have questions, I simply removed the original glass lens (leave the original black rubber seal inside the silver lens cap), mounted the diffuer with the ridges on the inside (next to the bulbs) going up and down, then, place the black rubber seal that comes with the diffuser on top of the original black rubber seal and tighten.

Note: you may have to have someone press down/hold the diffuser as the screw the silver lens cap back on, as the black rubber seals want to the turn the diffuser as you tighten the lens cap.
    Also, to make sure I got the best light output/pattern, I made sure that my led's were perfectly lined up (my 3x CREE required a "Two on Top, One on the Bottom" setup... like an upside down triangle)... bottom light is "Low" beam, Top two are "Medium beam" and all 3 is "High beam".

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Has anybody ever seen this light in reality: TrustFire TR-D012 3-LED 4-Mode 1200LM Cool White Light Bike Light (7.2~8.4V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

For me what is interesting about this light is that the two outside lights can be turned up/down relative to the center one (also see the German Amazon Store pics). In theory this allows for a more equally distributed beam pattern. However, to work reliably, build quality must be up to certain standards as you never really know what you get if you buy directly from China.

mtbr member
    Great to hear, I've been dragging that light to rides hoping someone would borrow it and we'd get a good test.

UPDATE: patski, you're awesome... thanks for the heads-up on this!!! I received my diffuser yesterday and I must say, WOW! what a difference. My cheapo @mazon light and diffuser worked better than some of the other's more expensive lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Patski;
    I discovered last night that the ActionLED beam diffuser works on this 3X Cree light head, nice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I just pulled the trigger on this puppy: Amazon.com : 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED Cycling Bicycle Bike Light Lamp HeadLight Headlamp : Sports & Outdoors

I will post a performance update once it gets here... between December 15th, and January 2nd

For 18 bucks I just had to give it a go!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on this puppy: Amazon.com : 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED Cycling Bicycle Bike Light Lamp HeadLight Headlamp : Sports & Outdoors

I will post a performance update once it gets here... between December 15th, and January 2nd

For 18 bucks I just had to give it a go!
    Hate to rain on your parade, but I bought from that Amazon listing a short time ago and received a unit that was pretty much worthless - posted in the X2 thread here. (See my pics in that thread.) I also posted a review and pics on Amazon.

Now there's a chance you might receive a better unit. It has been proven that buying from the same seller doesn't guarantee the units are the same. I do believe however that few if any good X2's exist anymore (i.e. driven at higher amps with the necessary heatsinking in place).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the heads up. I just sent a request to cancel my order. I guess I will see how their customer service is!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Bonking ... not feelin' well

So, I ordered this....

5000LM 2X CREE XM L2 LED Cycling Bike Bicycle Headlamp Headlight Head Light Set | eBay

I got it in last Thursday. It works well from what I can tell, and is nice and bright. But there are some serious issues.

It didn't include the ballistic nylon cover for the battery to attach it to the bike. It also has the wrong connector for the light cable to screw onto the battery cable. The coupler with the recessed threads doesn't even reach the threads on the battery cable side...not even close in fact.

The seller is avoiding my issues by continually asking me for more information. I've sent pictures, and videos, and it's one excuse after the other. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or return it through Ebay's policy, and I guess I was hoping against all hope that they would actually take care of the issue. They have a 98.8% positive feedback, but I have no idea how.

So...I basically learned my lesson on that one, but at least it only cost me $22.00. I can at least tape the cables together, put it on my helmet, and put the battery pack in my pack and see if night riding is even something I will enjoy. Then I can get a real light if I like it.

Just curious...does anyone know if the connector on that light will fit another battery with a different cable connector? It seems like it would be designed to fit something. I might use this for a camping light or something like that, but I would like to at least be able to have a secure connection for safety, rather than taping it. That's going to get gunked up in no time.

New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)-img_0556-small-.jpgNew cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)-img_0557-small-.jpg

Oh, and buyer beware on these Ebay things. I'm guessing I'll never get he cover, and they'll never address my issue with the connector. My guess is I have a nice strobe light for next Halloween, and that's about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Open a case with Ebay, attach the pics and vids you've sent to the seller and I'm sure you'll get your money back. Worse case, tape the connector with some electrical tape and get the $22 worth of use out of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Open a case with Ebay, attach the pics and vids you've sent to the seller and I'm sure you'll get your money back. Worse case, tape the connector with some electrical tape and get the $22 worth of use out of it.
    LOL...Yeah, and if that darn thing had come with a battery cover, then I'd have gotten exactly what I wanted...a $22.00 experiment! I wasn't expecting much, but by not getting the stupid cover, just to try it on the bars would mean I'm going to have to rig something up just to hold the battery.

What's weird is...around here, the LBS guys say that they just use a light on their helmet, and that's sufficient. They seem to feel it's useless unless the light goes where you're looking. Most of what I see on the board is a combination of both.

I read through this thread, and some of these guys are reallllllly technical and modifying their own lights to divert heat...etc. I wouldn't know the first thing about adding paste, trimming copper to add as a heat sink...etc. I just wanted something I could goof around with to see if my already crummy night vision would even allow me to ride at night at all. This may do that OK. From there...I'm thinking the Gloworm products seem pretty solid for the money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWAtrailyguy View Post
    So, I ordered this....
    5000LM 2X CREE XM L2 LED Cycling Bike Bicycle Headlamp Headlight Head Light Set | eBay

It also has the wrong connector for the light cable to screw onto the battery cable. The coupler with the recessed threads doesn't even reach the threads on the battery cable side...not even close in fact.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0556 (Small).JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	940451
    Look closer on the battery side, those aren't threads, they are just ridges to allow you to grip the connector easily.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    LOL...Yeah, and if that darn thing had come with a battery cover, then I'd have gotten exactly what I wanted...a $22.00 experiment! I wasn't expecting much, but by not getting the stupid cover, just to try it on the bars would mean I'm going to have to rig something up just to hold the battery.

What's weird is...around here, the LBS guys say that they just use a light on their helmet, and that's sufficient. They seem to feel it's useless unless the light goes where you're looking. Most of what I see on the board is a combination of both.

I read through this thread, and some of these guys are reallllllly technical and modifying their own lights to divert heat...etc. I wouldn't know the first thing about adding paste, trimming copper to add as a heat sink...etc. I just wanted something I could goof around with to see if my already crummy night vision would even allow me to ride at night at all. This may do that OK. From there...I'm thinking the Gloworm products seem pretty solid for the money.
    I did something similar, but bought a cheap light to see if I liked night riding before I dropped $300+ for a better light. So far I'm liking riding at night and have found that having a bright light on the helmet works better than on the handlebar. Not only does it help you keep focused on looking down on the trail as far as you can, but you can also cast the light further down the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Look closer on the battery side, those aren't threads, they are just ridges to allow you to grip the connector easily.
    Hahaha...that's funny. You're right, those aren't even threads! So the connector that is on the light side probably does fit some battery, somewhere then right? Why does it even have the connector then? It does have threads inside it...I just looked.

Does that connector on the light side have a name, and is it possible to buy a battery that it would actually screw onto? That might be enough for me to hang onto it, because I can at least see if I like riding at night.

It would probably work fine on my helmet with the battery in my pack, and I wouldn't need a fancy cover that they shorted me for that. I'll just roll some rubber around it and use some big velcro for a test run on my bars.

But...you know what miffs me? The principle of the thing. They know they shafted me, and they're probably doing it to everyone else who is thinking..."Well, for $22.00 it isn't worth hassling over the cover." And here I am...contributing to it, instead of insisting on getting what was promised. I may take it up with Ebay just to make them aware...although I'm sure they'll just assume I'm some random dude wanting an extra battery cover, because I lost my other one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I did something similar, but bought a cheap light to see if I liked night riding before I dropped $300+ for a better light. So far I'm liking riding at night and have found that having a bright light on the helmet works better than on the handlebar. Not only does it help you keep focused on looking down on the trail as far as you can, but you can also cast the light further down the trail.
    Cool...I appreciate the feedback, and I'm glad it served its purpose. I hope I end up liking it as well. With the shorter days, it's the only way to get a mid-week ride in.

As little as 10 years ago, I would probably look it up on Youtube and find out how to improve the Chinese cheapos and sort of make it a goal to find a way to make it "almost as good as the good lights" and feel like I'm beating the system. Now that I'm older...I just want something that is going to work and I won't have to tinker with it or worry about it. My guess is...it will work fine, but the battery will die pretty quickly. I haven't had very good luck with cheap batteries. But I can tell in 30 minutes if I like it...which is better than dropping $300.00 only to realize my depth perception is too bad to enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Does that connector on the light side have a name, and is it possible to buy a battery that it would actually screw onto? That might be enough for me to hang onto it, because I can at least see if I like riding at night.

Amazon: waterproof 2.5mm dc connector

Google: waterproof 2.5mm dc connector

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the reply Patski. OK...I'm trying to keep up here. So that connector would pair with a battery that has the 2.5mm dc connector, which mine obviously DOES NOT have. Is that correct?

I guess the last thing I would want to do is buy another battery for a light that may not stay cool long enough for a full ride before it burns up, but if it holds up OK...maybe it would be something for the future.

For now...I see electrical tape goo in my future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    .... So the connector that is on the light side probably does fit some battery, somewhere then right? Why does it even have the connector then? It does have threads inside it...I just looked.

Does that connector on the light side have a name, and is it possible to buy a battery that it would actually screw onto? ......
    To bad it's sold out:
    PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The very new one noticed by Garry, not proven yet:
    PANNOVO B-C18 Waterproof 4-18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Light / Cell phones - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A small refresh - today at LM a half of the SS X2

Name:  single_l2_bicycle_lights_cree_xm-l2_4_mode_max_1200_lumen_led_bike_headlamp_1_.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  11.6 KB

lo-mid-hi and one XML2 w/o battery, front crown and screws at the back should be removable, might handle 10W if you change the driver.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hmm...so if I end up liking this, at least there's hope that I can find a cover for the battery. Thanks for posting that. I still haven't even tried it out, but I'm sure I will over the T-giving break.

mtbr member
    A small refresh - today at LM a half of the SS X2

Name:  single_l2_bicycle_lights_cree_xm-l2_4_mode_max_1200_lumen_led_bike_headlamp_1_.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  11.6 KB

lo-mid-hi and one XML2 w/o battery, front crown and screws at the back should be removable, might handle 10W if you change the driver.
    Back in stock so I ordered one.

I like turtles
    Lime the look of it...a SSX1..haha. Has a standard MS-type connector too.

mtbr member
    @NWTtrailyguy; The battery they sent you isn't designed for the lamp you received. If you just want a cheap battery with the threads on the female plug you might try one of these. Notice the photo on the upper left that the plug has the threaded female connector. This is what you want even though the battery here is likely crap.....or you could e-mail the seller the photo of the battery you need.

Also notice on the link I posted that the photos to the right show a battery with a plug like the one you already have. Whatever or whoever you order from send them an e-mail first to confirm the battery/connector you need. If you have to send them the photo, I would.

Option three; You can order a "Hunk Lee" battery with quality cells and request the connector that you need. It is my understanding that he will take custom orders and does have the "screw on SolarStorm connectors". ( Hunk Lee is a Chinese e-bay vendor with good rapport on this forum ). If you order a HL battery you will still need a bag if you wish to mount it to your bike frame. Not sure if he sells those or not.

FWIW, I use my Solarstorm type lamps ( with screw sleeves ) with just standard Magicshine type batteries. Since the MS batteries don't have the threaded female plug they do have a rubber outer sleeve over the plug. I find I can fit the plastic ( threaded )sleeve over the rubber sleeve ( I screw it a little to grab the rubber better ) and it holds pretty good.

If you want the Hunk Lee battery you can order it and wait till it arrives from China ( maybe 16 days to a month ) or you could order a very nice MS type battery ( bag included ) with good cells from either Action LED or *mtbrevolution ( Xeccon ) and have it within days.

Personally if it were me I'd get a good battery from Xeccon and if I didn't like the plug fit I'd order the cheap Amazon battery and cut the plug off and make an adapter for a standard MS type battery. ( *FWIW, mtbrevolution has some good deals on their 5200mAh batteries which should work very well with the two emitter lamps. ) I should note here that the Xeccon batteries have female plugs with square outer rubber sleeves. ( otherwise the plugs are the same ). Strange as it may be, the Solarstorm lamp works very well and holds really tight with the Xeccon battery. That said you really don't need to use the plastic screw sleeve with the Xeccon plug. Still, Xeccon provides a round adaptor for standard MS type plug users ( included ).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hi there,
    I'm planning to buy a new bike light, want one with wider beam. I'm looking for these lights, which one should i buy?
    Ultrafire D99
    Yinding YD-2xu2
    KD 2
    Ultrafire LZZ-u3

Any others?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquer View Post
    Hi there,
    I'm planning to buy a new bike light, want one with wider beam. I'm looking for these lights, which one should i buy?
    Ultrafire D99
    Yinding YD-2xu2
    KD 2
    Ultrafire LZZ-u3

Any others?
    Thanks
    My thoughts on the lamps you've linked to:

I own one of the D99's. Not a bad lamp but the ( XM-L ) emitters were a little "bluish". This lamp though actually has 4 steady modes that are quite useable. There is an upgraded version now sold by D/X using the XM-L2 emitters. With the newer emitters it should be brighter and whiter. If you want this lamp get the one with the better emitters. ( *Link )

Nothing wrong with the Yindings. I don't own one but if I wanted one I'd probably buy one of the Kaidomain clone versions with XM-L2 emitters. K/D also sells the lamp without battery which is also good if you choose to go that route.

I like the look and UI function of the KD2. Similar to the Yinding ( clone version ) it includes a 10-level programmable sub-menu for customizing the 3 steady mode levels ( if you chose to do so ) The Ultrafire LZZ-U3 is similar to the KD2 but I'd go with the KD2 because of the listed sub-menu.

Keep in mind anything you order from China now will take a little longer since it's the holiday season. Personally I like the lamps that K/D has but only because they are offering more lamps with the upgraded XM-L2 emitters. I've bought from both D/X and K/D before without too much problem. Personally I also like the idea of buying the lamp separately and then buying a better battery but if you see something you like that includes the battery and it doesn't come any other way I'd just go ahead and buy it and plan on buying a better battery if really needed later on.

Good luck with your choice.

Just Ride !
    My thoughts on the lamps you've linked to:

I own one of the D99's. Not a bad lamp but the ( XM-L ) emitters were a little "bluish". This lamp though actually has 4 steady modes that are quite useable. There is an upgraded version now sold by D/X using the XM-L2 emitters. With the newer emitters it should be brighter and whiter. If you want this lamp get the one with the better emitters. ( *Link )

Nothing wrong with the Yindings. I don't own one but if I wanted one I'd probably buy one of the Kaidomain clone versions with XM-L2 emitters. K/D also sells the lamp without battery which is also good if you choose to go that route.

I like the look and UI function of the KD2. Similar to the Yinding ( clone version ) it includes a 10-level programmable sub-menu for customizing the 3 steady mode levels ( if you chose to do so ) The Ultrafire LZZ-U3 is similar to the KD2 but I'd go with the KD2 because of the listed sub-menu.

Keep in mind anything you order from China now will take a little longer since it's the holiday season. Personally I like the lamps that K/D has but only because they are offering more lamps with the upgraded XM-L2 emitters. I've bought from both D/X and K/D before without too much problem. Personally I also like the idea of buying the lamp separately and then buying a better battery but if you see something you like that includes the battery and it doesn't come any other way I'd just go ahead and buy it and plan on buying a better battery if really needed later on.

Good luck with your choice.
    With the kd2 having that sub menu it looks like the closet clone of the Gemini Duo . Great price on that also , the UI on that is very useful .

mtbr member
    I have a KD Duo clone (black, but not the "KD 2" one linked above) which has terrible heatsinking. Mine also came underdriven and I have an entire thread over at BLF on modding this driver for more output. I just figured out today that there is some serious voltage drop in the power lead coming off the battery pack (4.2v in my case). The voltage is dropping too much for the driver to pull much current. I think only having 4.2v input on my model is part of the problem.

Not sure if the "KD 2" model above would be better. I'm positive it will have the same hollow inside with extremely little thermal contact. I posted pics of this in the Duo Clones & Yinding Review threads.

-Garry

mtbr member
    I have a KD Duo clone (black, but not the "KD 2" one linked above) which has terrible heatsinking. Mine also came underdriven and I have an entire thread over at BLF on modding this driver for more output. I just figured out today that there is some serious voltage drop in the power lead coming off the battery pack (4.2v in my case). The voltage is dropping too much for the driver to pull much current. I think only having 4.2v input on my model is part of the problem.

Not sure if the "KD 2" model above would be better. *I'm positive it will have the same hollow inside with extremely little thermal contact. I posted pics of this in the Duo Clones & Yinding Review threads.

-Garry
    Yes there are Duo clones out there that are underdriven. D/X used to do this on some of their lamps and I guess K/D did as well. The listed current draw for the "KD2" model is 2200ma. Now if the emitters are in series than you will have a bright output. If parallel then not so bright. If you want to know for sure you send off an e-mail and ask them.

*Thermal pathways are always going to be an issue. I kind of take it in stride now that it's become so more common. When you buy or plan on buying a Chinese lamp you have to assume from the git-go that there may be things about them that you might not like. When it comes to the internals you really don't know what you are getting until you buy it. You read the reviews, roll the dice and take your chances. For $30-$40 you get what you can get and hope it works well enough to last a couple seasons. This is why I don't recommend a particular model to anyone because I really don't know if they will get something that works well enough to rely on. I comment on what I know but not on what I don't know. I'd hate to have someone buy something because I recommended it, only to have them be totally pissed if they end up getting something that sucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've just got KD2 one and I'll make review soon, so stay tuned. It's not perfect in terms od thermal path as Garry pointed out, but the user interface is the best you can get in the cheapo class. This has the same 10 step UI I've discovered also with DX driver(be aware of wrong picture). It has thermal protetcion too (well, not tested, just determined by looking the driver circuit).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is it just a wrong picture of a DX driver or another confusion? Mine is black and not HX 1341 and looks exactly as yours on the pics in the DX thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    I've just got KD2 one and I'll make review soon, so stay tuned. It's not perfect in terms od thermal path as Garry pointed out, but the user interface is the best you can get in the cheapo class. This has the same 10 step UI I've discovered also with DX driver(be aware of wrong picture). It has thermal protetcion too (well, not tested, just determined by looking the driver circuit).

I like turtles
    You know what is interesting? As I read these posts I think of the last group night ride I did (last week)...basically nothing but SSX2s, 808 clones, etc. Not a single one of those folks gives two farts about this stuff, they just spend their $20 and ride. Just saying not to loose site of the reason we buy lights...to ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is it just a wrong picture of a DX driver or another confusion? Mine is black and not HX 1341 and looks exactly as yours on the pics in the DX thread.
    MK I've noticed wrong picture few days ago. Before it was the correct one. Now it looks they posted pictures of similar same sized 28mm one. Hopefuly it's just a mistake. I've reported error there.
    I think yours is just fine. Funny enough, some parts of "KD2" driver are exactly the same.

TiGeo, you are right, but unfortunately I do a lot more modding stuff than riding. I've found it quite interesting while some others just buy and ride. We are different people on the globe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    ....Not a single one of those folks gives two farts about this stuff, they just spend their $20 and ride. Just saying not to loose site of the reason we buy lights...to ride!
    IMO, a cheap light set is like any other cheap mt. bike component. Cheap parts get you on the trail and they may do so for quite a while or they may fail prematurely or suddenly. Higher quality parts have better odds of keeping one riding rather than walking or riding instead of effing around trying to get something working.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @NWTtrailyguy; The battery they sent you isn't designed for the lamp you received. If you just want a cheap battery with the threads on the female plug you might try one of these. Notice the photo on the upper left that the plug has the threaded female connector. This is what you want even though the battery here is likely crap.....or you could e-mail the seller the photo of the battery you need.

Also notice on the link I posted that the photos to the right show a battery with a plug like the one you already have. Whatever or whoever you order from send them an e-mail first to confirm the battery/connector you need. If you have to send them the photo, I would.

Option three; You can order a "Hunk Lee" battery with quality cells and request the connector that you need. It is my understanding that he will take custom orders and does have the "screw on SolarStorm connectors". ( Hunk Lee is a Chinese e-bay vendor with good rapport on this forum ). If you order a HL battery you will still need a bag if you wish to mount it to your bike frame. Not sure if he sells those or not.

FWIW, I use my Solarstorm type lamps ( with screw sleeves ) with just standard Magicshine type batteries. Since the MS batteries don't have the threaded female plug they do have a rubber outer sleeve over the plug. I find I can fit the plastic ( threaded )sleeve over the rubber sleeve ( I screw it a little to grab the rubber better ) and it holds pretty good.

If you want the Hunk Lee battery you can order it and wait till it arrives from China ( maybe 16 days to a month ) or you could order a very nice MS type battery ( bag included ) with good cells from either Action LED or *mtbrevolution ( Xeccon ) and have it within days.

Personally if it were me I'd get a good battery from Xeccon and if I didn't like the plug fit I'd order the cheap Amazon battery and cut the plug off and make an adapter for a standard MS type battery. ( *FWIW, mtbrevolution has some good deals on their 5200mAh batteries which should work very well with the two emitter lamps. ) I should note here that the Xeccon batteries have female plugs with square outer rubber sleeves. ( otherwise the plugs are the same ). Strange as it may be, the Solarstorm lamp works very well and holds really tight with the Xeccon battery. That said you really don't need to use the plastic screw sleeve with the Xeccon plug. Still, Xeccon provides a round adaptor for standard MS type plug users ( included ).
    Hi Cat. First off, thank you very much for the help!! I'm not normally a tinkerer, so this is all a little out of my wheelhouse. Heat sinks, soldering, not in my bag of tricks!

I finally gave up on that vendor. They flat out told me they didn't have a cover to ship me. They offered a $10 refund to my PayPal account, and I just took it.

I can get $12 of use out of the thing just with what it has currently, even if it's just using it on the head strap walking around a campsite to get wood, take trash, or a quick walk down to the river.

I'll probably go back to my "normal ways" of just buying what all the guys around here are using, and they all swear by based on three years of experience with them. For the few minor issues they have had, the LBS owner says the Mfr. has always been overly helpful with warranty etc. I will ask what brand they are, because I didn't even ask. Since they're sold out right now, I have to wait for the four on order to come in so I can report back.

They all say that for our trails, all they need is one on their helmet. The word is they will run 3 hours on high...no sweat, but that a few guys who use them twice or more a week are starting to get less in year three, and some are running them on Medium except on the fastest descents to extend battery life.

If I knew the light I had wasn't going to melt in a month from poor heat sinking, I might spend some money on a decent battery, but I'm more inclined to just get what the best riders around here say works well, and are every bit as good as some of the guys who have spent $350.00 on them by direct comparison.

I would feel dumb about spending money on a battery only to have the light melt. If nothing else, I'll have one for a "guest" to use, or a spare.

mtbr member
    ...^^^....your welcome. I rarely tinker with the lamps myself. The lamps won't melt because they're made out of Aluminum. The thermal issue is related to the emitters. On most of the lamps with more than one emitter the metal board that the emitters are mounted on are at times not connected very well to the main body. This doesn't mean that they won't work or fail it just means that the heat generated by the emitters will not bleed off to the outer body as well as they could if more contact area was built into the lamps. That said most of the time ( IMO ) I don't see it as a problem because the drivers used to power the cheap lamps are not powering the emitters to their full potential anyway. As long as you don't run the lamp at full power when sitting still ( with no air moving over it ) you shouldn't have a problem.

About your battery problem; The e-bay vendor ripped you off. He sent you the wrong battery and didn't include a pouch to mount it to the bike. You didn't mention a charger so I'll assume you were sent one of those. The $10 refund was not enough IMO.

Anyway, messing with e-bay and their vendors can be a PITA so I understand that. For what it's worth I'm contacting an e-bay vendor to see if they have the right battery ( and connector ). If they have it I'll contact you with the information. Regardless you'd be better off buying a better battery because not only are the cells going to be better but the pouch for your bike frame will be much better as well. The cheap Chinese battery bags, while they work ( and that barely ) are total pieces of s***.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As prommised here it brief riview of "KD2" light: Review: KD 2 x Cree XML-U2 4+10-Mode 2200 Lumens Bicycle Light (picture heavy)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ...^^^....your welcome. I rarely tinker with the lamps myself. The lamps won't melt because they're made out of Aluminum. The thermal issue is related to the emitters. On most of the lamps with more than one emitter the metal board that the emitters are mounted on are at times not connected very well to the main body. This doesn't mean that they won't work or fail it just means that the heat generated by the emitters will not bleed off to the outer body as well as they could if more contact area was built into the lamps. That said most of the time ( IMO ) I don't see it as a problem because the drivers used to power the cheap lamps are not powering the emitters to their full potential anyway. As long as you don't run the lamp at full power when sitting still ( with no air moving over it ) you shouldn't have a problem.

About your battery problem; The e-bay vendor ripped you off. He sent you the wrong battery and didn't include a pouch to mount it to the bike. You didn't mention a charger so I'll assume you were sent one of those. The $10 refund was not enough IMO.

Anyway, messing with e-bay and their vendors can be a PITA so I understand that. For what it's worth I'm contacting an e-bay vendor to see if they have the right battery ( and connector ). If they have it I'll contact you with the information. Regardless you'd be better off buying a better battery because not only are the cells going to be better but the pouch for your bike frame will be much better as well. The cheap Chinese battery bags, while they work ( and that barely ) are total pieces of s***.
    Thanks again Cat-man-do! Yeah, I definitely felt like I got jipped a little bit, but the truth is that I'll probably wear it on my helmet and just toss the battery in my hydro-pak anyway. I really picture some dude in his mom's basement figuring out how to type just well enough for me to understand it, but make it believable that it's someone from China..and laughing at me.

I really just wanted to be able to mount it to the bars to see which way I preferred, but I have yet to have anyone say that you should ever run a "bar only" set up, because the light isn't directed where you're going...just straight ahead, and it is really "bouncy." I had sort of planned to use it as a bar light, and add the more expensive and reliable model from my LBS if I get into this night riding thing.

Thing is...the more I read, the more I wonder why I should buy even a $150.00 light. Honestly, the light this thing puts out...I don't why I would ever need more, other than as you said...the battery is a POS.

I could probably have you recommend the best deal on Ebay for a light that some of you know works and is built decently, and a good battery, and just roll with that for around $50.00. I think it's just one of those things where I like to support the LBS, and if I know I'm going to enjoy it and go a time or two a week until DLST kicks in, and it will last a few years....that's a worthwhile investment.

I really just bought that one to be able to try it, and I wasn't expecting much. What did make me furious at first is, they asked for me to send pictures, a video, and everything under the sun...when they had to have already KNOWN that they didn't have the cover, and it was the wrong battery. They were trying to set roadblocks up so I'd just give in and go away, but I stuck it out until they at least had to do something. I should copy the email chain...it's comical. "We refund $5 and you buy cover local. That OK?" Uh....no, because if I could buy it local, I never would have BOUGHT IT FROM YOU IN CHINA!

At any rate, lesson learned...and only a $12.00 one in the end, and I'll get some use out of it. Heck, I talked about it at Thanksgiving and the first thing my brother brought up was the cool hike that ends in an underground waterfall right around Ponca, Arkansas called Lost Valley and how it would be perfect for that.

I feel like I'm still way ahead on the cheapo Chinese thing, because I bought some really slick IR controlled outlets from Deal Extreme a few years back. I just plug my LED rope lights into them, push the button on the outlet to receive the IR command, and then every time the remote sends that command it turns them on or off. It's cool for my entertainment center and they work great.

Here's what the local guys have told me:

1. Throw is more important than a really wide angle. In fact, since the trees are really close to the trail around here, sometimes a broad beam can actually reflect, cause odd shadows, and make it harder to see. They say more of a "tunnel of light" is better, with a good throw.

2. Everyone helmet mounts. One guy runs one on his bars too, but he says he really doesn't need it. It came in handy a few times when someone else's crapped out, and it was used as a spare.

3. There are two models the LBS sells. $150.00, which is rated at 1500 lumens. $199.00 model that is rated at 2,000 lumens. They all say that the 1500 is plenty bright enough for our trails, and in fact a lot of them drop to medium on any sort of climb or slow technical stuff.

4. They rarely ride for more than 2 hours, so that's really the critical battery requirement. Apparently, these lights they sell will go about 3 hrs on high when the are new out of the box, and in year three they have noticed less life and run high on descents, and medium most of the rest of the time.

Based on that info, it being on my helmet, and wanting only that single light to work for at least 2.5 hours with decent output, what would you recommend that would be reliable and at least water resistant??

Full disclosure: I really want a new Kuat NV 2 rack, and whatever I can save here can go toward that.

Thanks again for your help!

mtbr member
    @NWAtrailyguy..^^...; Good to hear that you can make the lamp work for the helmet. The ebay seller I contacted says they have the battery with threaded female connector. Like I said before, it will still be a crap battery. The better bet to make the lamp more useable is to get a better battery. The SSX2 makes a good helmet lamp. With a better ( brand name )5200mAh battery it will likely get 2.5 to 3hrs run time. I fully recommend using a two lamp system because it will make the night riding experience more safer and more enjoyable. The extra cost of a second lamp is not so expensive as to be prohibitive. ( depending on what you buy ). You can ride with just one lamp but you aren't going to see the things you need to see as well. I'd rather have two cheap 500 lumen lamps mounted helmet/bars than one better quality 1000 lumen lamp, it makes that much of a difference and I've been a night rider since the first commercial bike lamps were available ( some twenty years ago when the only lamps were lower output halogen lamps ).

Usually when I ride trails at night I will use only the bar lamp if I'm not going too fast and the trail is not too twisty or technical. Once I pick up speed or hit more turns I turn the helmet lamp on so I can see into turns. As such the bar lamp is my steady "on" work horse and does my primary lighting. It is also a brand name lamp/battery set-up and is very reliable. For the helmet I use various lamps. Depends on the season and terrain as to what lamp I use on the helmet but no matter what I use I always use very good batteries.

No matter what lamps you choose I do recommend that you do use at least one good brand name lamp to complement a two lamp set-up. Brand names I would endorse that are good bang for the buck and include good batteries; Gloworm, Gemini, DiNotte, Xeccon and some of the newer Magicshine lamps. This is of course a short list. There are others that are also worthy, I'm just listing the ones I've either used or heard good things about.

I will say that if you buy a lamp for the bars I would recommend a lamp that uses optics rather than reflectors. Optics tend to spread the beam pattern more evenly and supply more light directly in front of the bike. For the helmet I favor reflector lamps but a good optic lamp will work as well as long as it is bright enough. The X2 you have works very well as a helmet lamp but I've tried it on the bars and it can work well there too if you use another on the helmet. Now if you ride road the X2 on the bars is all you need. If you do choose to go with only one lamp be sure to carry a good torch for back-up or in case you have a mechanical or flat. Last thing you need on a night ride is to flat and only have your half depleted lamp/battery to help you see while doing the repair.

Catman rule #1 for Nightriding: Better to have more ( light / runtime ) than you need than to not have enough and need more. Believe me, that rule was learned the hard way. I use two bike lamps and carry a mini-backup torch for repairs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks Cat-man-do. It's amazing how much the sport has progressed in our area since 1997. I was riding fire roads back in the day. The thrill of riding single track is a completely different experience, and since I've always enjoyed night time activities ranging from fishing, hiking, camping, and ATV riding...I'm sure I'll enjoy it on a Mtn. bike too.

My plan is to get a good name brand light from the LBS that the guys I ride with testify is very good and has good life. Then I can use the battery cover that comes with it for the cheapo Chinese special and frame/bar mount that set up. I'll use the LBS model on my helmet like they do, and I should be good to go.

I am pretty sure he sells the Xeccon lights. I'll try to find out today and report back just to make sure I don't screw up. It is very obvious by looking at the 2015 light review on this site that there are significant differences in the lights.

Thanks again for the advice!

mtbr member

SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof 2300 Lumens XM-L U2 LED

Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Anyone ever try the Amazon version of this light? 2 day shipping for us on this side of the pond...

mtbr member
    Anyone ever try the Amazon version of this light? 2 day shipping for us on this side of the pond...

I don't know if others have purchased this Duo clone in particular but people have bought from the SecurityIng® vendor on Amazon before. Likely it will just be the standard set and not the one with the 10-level sub menu but if you just want one without the "Chinese sit-and-wait" factor I say go for it. Post back and let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    As Cat says, I'd suspect it's exactly the same hollow internal version as mine (except mine has a 4.2v driver) and the one ledoman reviewed. Very little heatsinking and I'd be wary of using it without taking care of that issue (esp. if it's driven pretty hard stock like ledoman's is).

-Garry

mtbr member
    UPDATE: patski, you're awesome... thanks for the heads-up on this!!! I received my diffuser yesterday and I must say, WOW! what a difference. .
    This MS Clone(5x removed) seems to come with the diffuser and it's under $11

1200LM 3 Modes CREE 5V XML-T6 USB LED

EDIT: Fixed....
    Last edited by patski; 12-02-2014 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Link doesn't work for me.

-Garry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast