Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Attached some of the pics from the Sate-Lite catalog for that lamp. Seems like the amazon listing just used it, but might have some more info.

I'm surprised no one is carrying the LF-03A. That was a fantastic lamp.

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2017-lf-05.jpgNew cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2017-lf-051.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius9 View Post
    This one really looks nice. I have positive attitude towards disassembling results
    I rarely disassemble these types of lamps. I'm more interested in functionality, beam tint, beam pattern and run time on high.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    ....I'm surprised no one is carrying the LF-03A. That was a fantastic lamp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LF-05.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	1154637
    Comparing the two there might be some structural differences. The front area of the Toptrek might actually be plastic. The Sate-lite LF-05 has the front area listed as, "embedded aluminum alloy". Hopefully I'm wrong and the Toptrek is also made entirely of aluminum.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Looks like a nice mount too. (Referring to Cats post on previous page.)

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Comparing the two there might be some structural differences. The front area of the Toptrek might actually be plastic. The Sate-lite LF-05 has the front area listed as, "embedded aluminum alloy". Hopefully I'm wrong and the Toptrek is also made entirely of aluminum.
    If you look at the second one in the second pic under "two version release synchronously" then it looks like the TopTrek might be the "cheaper" version with a smaller battery. Looks like a shorter housing overall.

mtbr member
    I saw this lamp a couple nights ago and decided to roll the dice on it. Right now I seem to have a fascination with self-contained road lamps that provide a cut-off beam pattern. This lamp is listing total output at 500 lumen ( 250 per emitter ). The optics looks similar to the Rokkes only one optic is horizontal and one vertical. The one that is vertical should add more light near the bike that was missing with the single optic Rokkes and also provide some additional forward throw. Run time with both emitters is supposedly 3hrs. The lamp also offers some ( yellow ) side ports for viewing from the sides. Anyway, I should have it by Tuesday. The Amazon beam photo showed what looked like to be a very wide beam pattern ( covered three lanes ) so I'm curious to see if I get the same results. For $30 ( +Amazon prime free 2-day shipping ) I figured I'd go buy another cheap Chinese toy to mess around with.

Attachment 1154626
    Continued from above..^. Just got the Toptrek moments ago. Everything on it is metal. It does have some weight. I don't own one of those digital scales but it's easily twice the weight ( or more ) of the Rokkes. Seems to do everything it claims to do. Right now it's raining where I live but by later tonight the rain should let up and ( while at work ) I should have some time to do some outside beam pattern observations.

The UI is quite simple, one push and the horizontal side is lit. Second push and the horizontal goes out and the vertical side is lit. Third push and both are on. Forth push and the fade in/out mode is on. Push and hold turns the lamp off. Odd that they chose to put the very small button on the side of the lamp. Can't be seen while on the bike but it should be easy to find by touch.

I just compared the beam pattern ( in my home ) to the Raveman CR500. The CR500 has the wider beam pattern and the beam tint of the Toptrek is definitely slightly more bluish. Output is similar ( on high ) but I won't be able to judge throw till I take it outside. I also compared it to my little Blitzu Gator Pro lamp and the Blitzu is so blue it makes the Toptrek look white in comparison. That said the slightly bluish beam tint of the Toptrek hopefully will not be an issue once I take it outside.

( BTW, there are no screws. Everything on this was press fit into place. Trying to disassemble would likely destroy the lamp. ) **Oh!, edit #2...the lamp will operate while being charged. That is a big plus.!

mtbr member

Toptrek lamp: Continued

Continued from my last post...^..: I did get a chance to shine the Toptrek around on a very dark road last night. My initial take on it is that it looks pretty good but I didn't bring any of my other lights along to compare it with so take all this with a grain of salt. Throw looks good on high but that was in an almost totally dark environment . With both emitters illuminated there is a peculiar "four ball-like shadow effect" brought about by the criss-crossing of the two beam patterns. It's really not that noticeable unless you look down close to the bike. Two are low and the other two are high. The two that are high are not really noticeable because they are projected outward. I saw no problem with the beam tint but at the time I brought nothing to compare it too. Tomorrow I'll bring the CR-500 so I have something to compare it with.

Right now the biggest issue with the Toptrek might be the small button on the side which activates the lamp and changes the modes. With gloves on it is going to be hard to find the switch. ( I had problems finding the switch in the dark ) The lamp has no illumination from the button and there is no voltage indicators. All things considered I don't see any of these negatives as being a deal killer. This lamp is the poor man's self-contained road lamp with a cut-off beam pattern. It's far from perfect but for $30 you're not gonna get perfect. Just keep in mind that the vertical optic projects some light higher than the horizontal cut-off. Not a big deal IMO because you can always choose to aim the lamp a bit lower if you think it might annoy on-coming traffic ( or add a bit of electrical tape to the vertical optic to cut off the extra light. )

mtbr member
    I was just alerted to these Magicshine 872 / Revtronic BT40S clones on Amazon by a BLF member and thought I'd post it up. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IN4XW5K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only $8 and a US source! Mod host???

That BLF users says the driver looks identical to the BT40S driver.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I was just alerted to these Magicshine 872 / Revtronic BT40S clones on Amazon by a BLF member and thought I'd post it up. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IN4XW5K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Garry
    Purchased!

mtbr member
    Wow! That was quick! I just posted the link only minutes ago! BTW - user says this "clone" does have the same "integrated shelf" the BT40S has. He's unsure if they're real Cree emitters or not yet.

-Garry

mtbr member
    So already can tell the reason it's cheap is because it doesn't come with a battery. If it did I bet you it'd be a $30-40 light.

I'm not expecting much in the way of output or beam pattern because of those tiny TIR's and larger chips (as I had mentioned what sizing does in my topic I made introducing myself). But another cheap light to compare data to is always nice to have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    To bad, for me: Shipping & handling: USD 13.61

You are lucky. I have spare driver (the one with wrong chip) and leds for BT40 which I could use if the shell and lens are ok.

mtbr member
    Work of caution - it's listed as being for a motorcycle, so 12v input. Not sure if something is different. I hear LED's might all be in series (or maybe I'm confused).

-Garry

mtbr member
    It has the standard MS connector. I bet the driver can handle a wide range of input voltages. I see forklift lights that are rated for 12-36V all the time

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

-Garry
    I bought something similar fours years ago. Here was a thread where we discussed it
    Good Chinese flood for bars

I think I paid around thirty bucks for it and I was extremely pleased with it. I used it extensively for around 6 months and I loved it. The original ebay link in that thread was active for at least two or three years and it was down around $20 at some point. Others had longevity problems with theirs but mine never did.

You can't beat the UI. Turn it on, click the up button to increase level or down to decrease level. Once you get the highest mode of 4 it doesn't click to the lowest level. No OFF mode in the rotation. No blinking in the mode rotation. It's about as simple and effective as you can get. Four years later they still can't get it right.

It didn't throw much, so I moved on to the Solarstorm X2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I bought something similar fours years ago. Here was a thread where we discussed it
    Good Chinese flood for bars

I think I paid around thirty bucks for it and I was extremely pleased with it. I used it extensively for around 6 months and I loved it. The original ebay link in that thread was active for at least two or three years and it was down around $20 at some point. Others had longevity problems with theirs but mine never did.

You can't beat the UI. Turn it on, click the up button to increase level or down to decrease level. Once you get the highest mode of 4 it doesn't click to the lowest level. No OFF mode in the rotation. No blinking in the mode rotation. It's about as simple and effective as you can get. Four years later they still can't get it right.

It didn't throw much, so I moved on to the Solarstorm X2.
    I've been using the "Stealth Black" one on that thread for about 4 years. I bought it for like $15 on eBay. No real complaints about it. If the light in the Amazon link is like the one I have, $8 should be a pretty good value.

mtbr member
    VA - yeah, I have that one too ($15 I think), but never rode with it or modded it since I picked up the BT40S shortly afterwards.

-Garry

mtbr member

Toptrek; continued

Took the Toptrek out again last night but this time with the CR-500 in tow. I did comparisons on two very dark roads. The CR-500 has the better over-all beam pattern but the Toptrek follows in at a close second. Distance range is about the same for both but the CR-500 has the more defined cut-off which makes it easier to aim. I think the CR-500 is brighter but that might just be because it has a slightly whiter beam tint.

I have yet to try the Toptrek on the bike but I should get around to that by this weekend. I'll likely give it a spin once but I'm not giving up on my CR-500 which is still my road lamp of choice at the moment. As far as I'm concerned the only advantage the Toptrek has is it has a larger battery and so more run-time. This weekend I'll give the Toptrek a runtime test just for the hell of it. I want to see if it really runs 3hrs on high.

mtbr member
    I came across this light on Amazon. I like the way it mounts on the handlebar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Not bad except your stuck with a big, proprietary mount on your bars. May not matter to some, to others if Im stuck with a mount on Id prefer it be gopro so I can make other uses of it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    How's this one?

https://www.brighteyesproducts.com/c...-headlight-set

Can anyone recommend a light for dh mtb helmet use? I have two cygolite 780s and they're not bright enough to ride fast.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    That light is maybe half the power it says, bright eyes is just another "cheap" brand. A bit better than the cheap stuff but still good for way over rating lumens.

If you riding DH courses (or really high speed decents) and your already out running 1400 lumens you may just need to spend a bit more money of a proper mtb light. Not cheap, but theirs a reason for it.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks a bunch for your reply. I was thinking that. Last question, sorry it's off topic, is there a more affordable mainstream brand of lights? The niterider and light and motions prices seem crazy compared to these cheepos

mtbr member

-Garry
    I received one of these that I will call a "BT40S Clone" (I know, I know, they're all Magicshine MJ-872 clones). I ordered on Monday ("Fulfilled By Amazon"), it shipped directly from Shark Motorcycle Audio, and it arrived on Thursday.

The quick & dirty - it's the insides of a Revtronic BT40S, put into a lower quality body that more resembles the older Ebay MJ-872 clone (varider linked above).

The details - The driver and LED board look identical (completely down to the board markings) between this one and the BT40S. It has the "correct" U3 chip (MH8015), measures the expected 1.75A from the pack on Turbo, has genuine Cree XP-G2 (best I can tell) neutral white emitters. The inside has the solid wall where the emitter pcb mounts. The optic looks a little different from the BT40S, but I've not made any effort in comparing beam patterns (I don't have a stock BT40S anymore either). It looked as expected on a white wall in my basement. It's definitely a neutral white tint and looks like the tint of the original BT40S best I can recall - looks ever so slightly warmer than a 3C tint I compared to. It DOES come with the DC Plug and not the two separate leads shown in the Amazon link. It does come with the handlebar mount and 3 nice o-rings.

Now for the only negative I could find - the finning on the outside of the body is a separate "collar" like sleeve that moves freely over a "tube" of aluminum once the end cap is unscrewed (i.e. driver access end). This of course means for bad thermal pathway to those fins and the outside air, though it remains unseen how much difference this makes in the actual use of the light. I would have had to unsolder the power lead in order to get the collar off and haven't done that at this time.

Some Links:
    Shark Motorcycle Audio Product Page: https://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com...atv-golf-cart/

Amazon Product Page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IN4XW5K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some Photos:

Side-by-Side: Older Ebay 872 Clone, This one, & the BT40S:

Same Order:

Front View Old 872 Clone on Left, This one on the right (my BT40S is still disassembled):

Side comparing This one (bottom) to BT40S (top):

Solid wall behind pcb and thermal compound:

Emitters:

Trying to show the "collar:

Tweezers stuck between "collar" and tube:

Driver front side:

Driver back side:

My opinion is that anyone interested in this light should jump on it while it is available for this price! I don't think you'll even get 4 XP-G2 emitters for less than the cost of this entire light! BT40S owners should pick one up in order to have replacement parts.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for all of your work on this light. Do you have a battery pack you can recommend to go with it on amazon?

mtbr member
    No, I'm not aware of any decent packs on Amazon to recommend. There may be some out there, I just don't know.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Garry. Would buy one for shure if the shippment wasn't twice as much as the light itself. I think it should be even to good to have it only for spares, it could be nice budget light for novice users.

mtbr member
    i received one of these that i will call a "bt40s clone" (i know, i know, they're all magicshine mj-872 clones). I ordered on monday ("fulfilled by amazon"), it shipped directly from shark motorcycle audio, and it arrived on thursday.

Some links:
    Shark motorcycle audio product page: https://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com...atv-golf-cart/

amazon product page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b00in4xw5k/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=utf8&psc=1
    OMG! $7 for a BT40 lamp head clone! I have Amazon Prime so I might be able to get it for free. LOL...I don't need one though. No good to people who can't get a decent battery. Damn, wish the Xeccon people were still out there selling affordable battery packs. Getting harder to find decently priced battery packs without buying directly from China.

mtbr member
    WhyOOOwhy can't somebody to this same thing with a BT21 clone!!!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    OMG! $7 for a BT40 lamp head clone! I have Amazon Prime so I might be able to get it for free. LOL...I don't need one though. No good to people who can't get a decent battery. Damn, wish the Xeccon people were still out there selling affordable battery packs. Getting harder to find decently priced battery packs without buying directly from China.
    I just saw this and went to amazon to order it. I'm a prime member so free shipping and there is some kind of promotion for $1.05 off the price. Total cost right now is $5.94 shipped for prime members. I ordered 2 and I don't even need it because I have a bt40 already. I guess now I have enough spare parts to keep my bt40 running for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I even delayed posting this up until a friend of mine (with a BT40S kit w/ wrong U3 chip) could pickup 2 before all you sharks jumped on it and depleted inventory!

Mole - Yep! I feel your pain!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I just saw this and went to amazon to order it. I'm a prime member so free shipping and there is some kind of promotion for $1.05 off the price. Total cost right now is $5.94 shipped for prime members. I ordered 2 and I don't even need it because I have a bt40 already. I guess now I have enough spare parts to keep my bt40 running for a long time.
    I don't need it either but I got the discount and no tax, nice.

bt40 High Performance 1600 Lumens Tanx Garry!

Name:  yPCQOUC.png
Views: 1382
Size:  7.2 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi Garry, did you test the BT40s clone with a regular 8.4 V battery pack? Would there be any issues with using an 8.4 V battery pack on a 12 V light? thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes, I tested on my 6-cell 8.4v battery pack. I did NOT test it with 12v input (though Amazon reviews show others have). There should be no issue running this light with 8.4v input. My guess is that the driver will allow a wide range of input (must be at least higher than the vF of two of the LEDs in series, and I don't know the upper limit but it's likely at least 14.4v).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ok, thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    First input point on the driver is C1 marked 107C. This is 100uF and max. 16V. So at this point 14.4V is possible. Don't know for the rest though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    price went up to 12.99 ( on the shark BT40s clone-clone) ... i had it in my cart yesterday but was hemming and hawing....doh

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I received the Shark Motorcycle Audio light/BT40s clone today. Light seems almost exactly the same as the BT40s except the separate middle fin part. In fact the rear screw cap is the same and interchangeable with the BT40s.
    The only negative I noticed so far was that the plastic mount suck. On both of the lights I received, the mounts were cracked and basically not useable.
    The vancbiker mounts works ok with the light.
    The tint also looks the same as my BT40s.
    Overall I'm very satisfied with this light at $5.98. Even at $12.99 I think its still pretty comparable to the BT40s if you already have a battery pack you can use it with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    $14.99 is the price now. With free shipping to Europe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, it depends. For me it's: "Price: $12.99 + $19.46 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit" right now. NO GO!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I bought it from sharkmotorcycleaudio.com
    Amazon doesnt offer free shipping - $45+tax for a 12.99 light

Land of the 230+
    My buddy and I rode with the Shark bt40s clones last night, and they worked as well as the revtronic bt40s do. Glad we got in on the $6 deal, it cannot be beat! Nice to have a spare to leave in the car now.

Thank you Garry! I'd rep you again, but apparently I need to spread some around first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can some one drop a link and give me a few details on the best batter to pair with the shark bt40?

Land of the 230+
    The sky's the limit on batteries. The kai domain packs are popular. Ive rigged a few packs up myself with panasonic cells. And I've always had luck with FMA battery packs from hunk_lee. Not more than five minutes ago, I picked up two FMA 4500 mah 26650 packs for $35 (for both) on aliexpress. I havent tried 26650 packs yet, but figured theyre a bit more compact than 4 cell 18650 packs, and similar capacity.

mtbr member
    Depends on if you want to try shipping from overseas or want a US Source. Your best US Choice is likely the refurbished (read the fine print - it's a new pack) Gloworm 5800mAh pack at Action LED. If you want to chance from overseas, here's a link to the Panasonic Cell packs at Kaidomain (listings will say "NCR . . ."). Which pack is up to you (though it has to be a 7.4v pack). 2-cell will be limited runtime, esp on Turbo, 4-cell the usual choice, 6-cell for long runtime (or lights that pull immense amounts of current, which the BT40S does not).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Awesome. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Does any one know if Kaidomain rechargeable packs come with charging cable? None seem to appear with packs. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nope, no charger included, pack only.

-Garry

mtbr member
    The BT 21 with glo worm spot optics on my helmet died What's out there that's similar in throw, intensity, and power usage? Maybe something with a more neutral color

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can you explaind more about your BT21? Maybe there is chance to repair it? You would hardly find somethig similar at same price level.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie13 View Post
    Does any one know if Kaidomain rechargeable packs come with charging cable? None seem to appear with packs. Thanks.
    If you are buying battery pack from KD you may buy the charger from them too. Here is where all 3 plug versions are listed: http://www.kaidomain.com/c/236.Universal-Chargers

I've tested EU version and it works fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Can you explaind more about your BT21? Maybe there is chance to repair it? You would hardly find somethig similar at same price level.
    I haven't opened it up or anything. The symptom is the green button light is lit but the lights don't turn on at all.

Land of the 230+
    Has anybody had the plastic base snap off on the Shark BT40? the ones I bought were fine, but my buddy bought three, and all three snapped off while attempting to use the largest rubberband on a pair of 31.8 bars. He swears he didnt man-handle it.

Anyway, does anyone have a source for a replacement base or mount that might fit?

mtbr member
    Yes, mine snapped off just trying to insert the rubber o-ring, before even tensioning it

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I haven't opened it up or anything. The symptom is the green button light is lit but the lights don't turn on at all.
    If you have DMM you can at least check the leds. You need to remove front panel to get to the leds then use diode check for each of led, unpowered of course. Uder power you can check voltage to the leds if there is any.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If it is a clone of a BT40S then I have a GoPro adapter that would work......

GoPro light adapter with fins for additional heatsinking - Page 2- Mtbr.com

Shown in the last 2 pictures of MrMole's post linked above.

Might not be very appealing to spend 3x the cost of the light just to get a bulletproof mounting system though.

If someone would post a picture of the bottom of the light with the factory mount removed, I'd probably be able to tell if it is the same as a real BT40S.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    If it is a clone of a BT40S then I have a GoPro adapter that would work......

If someone would post a picture of the bottom of the light with the factory mount removed, I'd probably be able to tell if it is the same as a real BT40S.
    I was looking into the same thing. If the thrumbscrew at the bottom of the goPro adapter was removeable, you could instead replace it with the original mounting screw and a small washer. Then use any old goPro handlebar mount. Could fix it up for a couple bucks off the slow boat from china.

As for the bottom, it is the same as the BT40. We sucessfully moved over the mount form a genuine revtronic bt40s thats got a bad connection we havent had a chance to fix yet. So at least we know the mounts are compatible.

mtbr member
    I use an aluminum version of the plastic mount that's available at Dealextreme (DX) - try "DXSoul" for expedited US shipping. Aluminum Alloy Bike Headlamp Mount Holder w/ Silicone Rings - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme . Link to DX regular site.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Vanc, I posted a pic of the bottom up in my review. Need any measurements?

-Garry

Land of the 230+
    I use an aluminum version of the plastic mount that's available at Dealextreme (DX) - try "DXSoul" for expedited US shipping. Aluminum Alloy Bike Headlamp Mount Holder w/ Silicone Rings - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme . Link to DX regular site.

-Garry
    Thanks, that looks perfect, and durable. And only costs 60% of what the whole light cost!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Vanc, I posted a pic of the bottom up in my review. Need any measurements?

-Garry
    Ah! I had not seen the earlier post. That looks like it would work better withe the Nightfighter BT70 version of my adapter. if anyone should ever order an adapter for it the only thing I see is it will probably need a longer screw than I provide.

That "tube over the body heatsink" is hokey at best.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member

BT40s and/or Clone mount

Took the mount off my C&B Seen 7up today and saw it had a power cord channel in it. Got me thinking and tried on my BT40s and it fit like a glove. Nice plastic QR mount that easily handles the extra weight of the 7up it came with so wouldn't expect it's anything other than over-built for the BT40s or one of its clones. Less than $7 + shipping (varies depending on location). **Horizontal beam adjustable too**
    Mole

https://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product...elease-mt.html

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2017-001.jpg

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2017-008.jpg

Name:  mount.png
Views: 1003
Size:  22.2 KB
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Oohh, nice to know! Might be my excuse to buy one!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Very slick Mole! Ill add this mount to my cart along with a battery case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    anyone used this one?

I wanted usb charge, all in one light, commuter light with some trails - bright of course for scoping out rocks

Rockbros Bike 1000 Lumen Front Light Bicycle Lamp USB Rechargeable Flashlight US $44.98
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2017-s-l1600.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For 1000lm it is a bit out of "bugdet" category, IMHO

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi guys i am new here, but have been lurking in the shadows, reading reviews. I am looking for a afordable light for my night riding and i found this chinese brand Gaciron and their light V9D with 1600 lumens.
    I cant link to it coz i have Aliexpress app. Has anybody used it, what are your toughts about this light and company?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBucan View Post
    Hi guys i am new here, but have been lurking in the shadows, reading reviews. I am looking for a afordable light for my night riding and i found this chinese brand Gaciron and their light V9D with 1600 lumens.
    I cant link to it coz i have Aliexpress app. Has anybody used it, what are your toughts about this light and company?
    You mean this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gaci...27879545.html?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yeah, thats the light, offered from different selers. The specs looks nice, not sure how it will show off on the road. Courius about beam patern also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I bought a pair of those bt40 clones at the $6 price last week, I was just putting one on my bike one of the bases is snapped right out of the box. - good looking light, I think I'll be able to rig up a good mount.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member

I tried... :)

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2017-s9umanj.png

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Vancbiker I sent you a PM regarding your mounts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My kid and I rode with the bt40s clones tonight (bt40s clone on one side, dual beam solarstorm on the other side, - 2 lights each), I took a base off an old magicshine and replaced the broken base that one of the bt40s clones came with.

My take; decent light, not super impressive, noticeably yellow/amber. Good spread, but I think a pair of the dual "SolarStorm 8000LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Bicycle Torch Headlight +Battery US SHIPPING" for $14 shipped with battery and charger is tough to beat for the price. There were 4 or 5 of the solarstorms on tonights ride, the light is very noticeably whiter than the bt40s (everyone agreed), the solarstorm spread isn't quite as good, but two on the bars fixes that. I'm going back to the pair of solarstorms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    My kid and I rode with the bt40s clones tonight (bt40s clone on one side, dual beam solarstorm on the other side, - 2 lights each), I took a base off an old magicshine and replaced the broken base that one of the bt40s clones came with.

My take; decent light, not super impressive, noticeably yellow/amber. Good spread, but I think a pair of the dual "SolarStorm 8000LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Bicycle Torch Headlight +Battery US SHIPPING" for $14 shipped with battery and charger is tough to beat for the price. There were 4 or 5 of the solarstorms on tonights ride, the light is very noticeably whiter than the bt40s (everyone agreed), the solarstorm spread isn't quite as good, but two on the bars fixes that. I'm going back to the pair of solarstorms.
    The BT40's are using Neutral white LED's. I ran a quick search of the lamp that you mentioned and I had to laugh that it is advertised as "8000 lumen". Very odd that these lamps are using USB connectors for power connection between the lamp and the battery. That is very strange.

I've used dual emitter SStorms before. Beam pattern is somewhat narrow because it uses reflectors. Likely they do out-throw the BT40's but the 40's are better for mountain biking. If I were riding on the road the SStorm would be my preference.

I've also used dual BT40's before and found it more light than what I would consider useful ( when mountain biking on trails )

Good luck with the cheap SStorms and watch those batteries carefully when ever you charge them. For the money you paid you aren't going to get great batteries.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My Solar-storms must be older than the new offerings, no usb connectors on any of mine. 2 of the 5 batteries I've got have gone weak in less than a year, at the price I'm happy if I get a full winter out of one, the other 3 are still good this 2nd season. - No issues charging (yet), I've read those stories and keep an eye on them. I was going to just buy a battery for the first one that went bad, but for something like $4 more I got the whole package.
    Yes, the claimed 8000lm is a joke, as are most of the lm claims for the cheap stuff on ebay. First one I got was the 3 bulb version, it seems to draw a lot more power and the battery only lasts half as long, with the 2 lens version I can usually get 2hrs of riding in. A pair of the dual beam lights on the bars at slightly different angles give a pretty good spread. The guys I ride with who spend actual money have a good helmet light too and are happy, - i'm too cheap. I'm half expecting the 4 beam bt40 clone to draw even more power and deplete my batteries even sooner, last nights ride was only half in the dark and a shorter ride, so that's unknown for now.
    More than what you would consider useful? (maybe that's with real bt40s?), there's almost no such thing as too much light when mountain biking on technical trails at night.

mtbr member
    QUOTE=jimPacNW;13364274]My kid and I rode with the bt40s clones tonight (bt40s clone on one side, dual beam solarstorm on the other side, - 2 lights each), I took a base off an old magicshine and replaced the broken base that one of the bt40s clones came with.

While the Solorstorms may end up being the best setup for you the BT40s clone's effectiveness was minimized by using it with the cool white emitter equipped solorstorm. Advantage to neutral white tint (yellowish light color you noted) is it has less glare and allows your eyes to stay more dilated and actually work better. The higher glare production from the solorstorm lights makes you pupils constrict to compensate for the extra glare and nullifies the positive effects of the neutral white tint of the clone. While beam pattern will be a factor I still think if you ride a trail section (by yourself) with just the solorstrom and then try it with just the clone you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. Still if you plan on continuing to use the solorstorms or you always ride with others (who more than likely have lights with cool white emitters) the dual solorstorm setup is probably best for you. If you really like the way you can see the trail with just the clone you may want to consider getting a NW equipped Yinding to use with the clone for your solo rides.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    ...I'm half expecting the 4 beam bt40 clone to draw even more power and deplete my batteries even sooner, last nights ride was only half in the dark and a shorter ride, so that's unknown for now...
    I did a quick battery assessment with my BT40 clone when I got it and compared it to my solarstorm x2. I have a 2 cell, 7.4v, 3400mah pack I used for both. BT40s on high was still going at 2:45 with red light on back when I turned it off to go to bed. the solarstorm was run last spring and I got somewhere 2:30+ but can't remember exactly. I'd say power draw is pretty similar in my quick and dirty testing

mtbr member
    Note: there is going to be HUGE variation between those SS X2 lights! There are myriads of versions of drivers used in them with each drawing different amounts of current. You would be best to test your own individual light to get an idea of runtime. The one SS X2 I bought from Amazon was crap, pulling only 1A on high which would have yielded fantastic runtime with cruddy low output.

The BT40S clone was tested at 1.75A pulled off the pack (which will change as the battery depletes). You can calculate rough runtime by dividing pack capacity (if you have a good idea based on good known cells) by the current pulled by the light. For instance, 3400mAh 2-cell pack, BT40S at 1.75A (1750mA) = 3400/1750=1.94 hours. Now in reality, the Panasonic 3,400 mAh cells won't yield 3,400 mAh (except maybe at extremely low current draw down to a voltage level that will hardly even power the light). You can reference BLF user HKJ's 18650 Comparator (there are other size cells in there too). Choose your cell of choice and choose a current close to what your light pulls. Choosing "Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh Green" and selecting "2A" shows about 3,000mAh down to 3.00v. So we can redo the runtime math as 3000/1750=1.71 hours.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Meilan X1
    Found this light today, it's not exactly cheap but looks interesting, for commuting, and its popular in russia, apparently, because all reviews on youtube are by russian guys.

More pics here and some text if you understand russian :/
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2017-meilan-x1-bike-light-bicycle-headlight-germany-humanized-optical-6models-waterproof-1800mah-5hou.jpg
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2017-meilan-x1-stvzo-cree-front-light-led-bicycle-cycling-lights-bike-accessories.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius9 View Post
    Meilan X1
    Found this light today, it's not exactly cheap but looks interesting, for commuting, and its popular in russia, apparently, because all reviews on youtube are by russian guys.

More pics here and some text if you understand russian :/

Name:	Meilan-X1-bike-Light-Bicycle-headlight-Germany-humanized-optical-6models-waterproof-1800mah-5hou.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	1161458

Name:	meilan-x1-stvzo-cree-front-light-led-bicycle-cycling-lights-bike-accessories.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	1161459
    Can confirm that these are actually pretty decent for commuting. Well done beam pattern for the size. I unfortunately lost mine in a crash on the trail when I was evaluating a lot of different cheap ones. The mount isn't quite up for MTB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    While the Solorstorms may end up being the best setup for you the BT40s clone's effectiveness was minimized by using it with the cool white emitter equipped solorstorm. Advantage to neutral white tint (yellowish light color you noted) is it has less glare and allows your eyes to stay more dilated and actually work better. The higher glare production from the solorstorm lights makes you pupils constrict to compensate for the extra glare and nullifies the positive effects of the neutral white tint of the clone. While beam pattern will be a factor I still think if you ride a trail section (by yourself) with just the solorstrom and then try it with just the clone you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. Still if you plan on continuing to use the solorstorms or you always ride with others (who more than likely have lights with cool white emitters) the dual solorstorm setup is probably best for you. If you really like the way you can see the trail with just the clone you may want to consider getting a NW equipped Yinding to use with the clone for your solo rides.
    Mole
    - I'll try running the pair of bt40s clones tomorrow night, thanks!

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I bought this BT40 clone and rode with it last night. Nice and bright. I had some old battery pack lying around and used it. Do you guys have suggestions on a battery pack to pair with it? Preferably sourced from Amazon. Or if not a specific battery then a v/mAh rating recommendation? Thanks!
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Just say no to Amazon battery packs! (Generally only over-priced recycled laptop packs of questionable quality available at Amazon.) Right now your best bet is Hunk Lee (FMA Battery / A-OK Battery) on eBay and buy from his US Warehouse. Here is a link to 2S (7.4v) batteries in the US. Here is my quick choice for you, a 2S2P basic battery pack. Only issue is the connector. It comes with the threaded connector which many of us don't want. The desired "standard Magicshine connector" is not threaded and simply a push connection. The two will work together, but matching them is preferred. You can request a connector (whether or not those are in-stock in US I don't know), but I don't see the "standard MagicShine connector" in his photo of available connectors. Perhaps CAT can speak up or anyone else who has requested that connector.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Depends on if you want to try shipping from overseas or want a US Source. Your best US Choice is likely the refurbished (read the fine print - it's a new pack) Gloworm 5800mAh pack at Action LED. If you want to chance from overseas, here's a link to the Panasonic Cell packs at Kaidomain (listings will say "NCR . . ."). Which pack is up to you (though it has to be a 7.4v pack). 2-cell will be limited runtime, esp on Turbo, 4-cell the usual choice, 6-cell for long runtime (or lights that pull immense amounts of current, which the BT40S does not).

-Garry
    I bought a pair of BT40s clones from amazon at $13, but now I need to source battery packs and chargers.

How are these batteries?

And how about this charger?

Thanks in advance guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    1. no, better to choose from those: http://www.kaidomain.com/Search/SearchResult.NCR/348
    2. yes

PS. KD is currently having hard times to get battery posted. They are trying to add them as accesory to some cheapo light. If you are in the US you might try different source.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A good place for batteries in America is action led.
    https://www.action-led-lights.com/

It won't be the cheapest but they are reliable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks guys for the quick replies.. I am in the US and it's my first year of MTB riding. I am so hooked I have logged 30+ rides and 150miles in just a couple months. It's getting darker and darker now so much earlier so I have been trying to build a helmet & bike light setup.

ledoman - When you say having issues with getting batteries posted do you mean sent out efficiently or some other issue buying from them? I

Garry - I am trying to understand your points about the connector on the ebay battery you linked. So it works just not ideal or you need to swap connectors before using? Sounds like you are asking CAT to weigh in on his maybe more recent ordering experience.

I'm about to go on vacation for a week so I'm not pressed for time per se. Just hoping to get some juice for the lights I just bought so by end of month I can try out night riding!

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Tipicaly US buyers are spoiled with fast shipping they mostly get (in contrary to the many other countries) and can't wait longer. For me 3-4 weeks is good if it reach me, but can very well be 6 weeks. With KD you should regulary check with them about status of your shipment unless your tracking works well. It might happen the carrier refuses to ship Li-Ion and return the package. The it take time to be resent , etc...

If you are in the US I would pay bit more and have batteries on time since you would likely use them soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokang View Post
    Garry - I am trying to understand your points about the connector on the ebay battery you linked. So it works just not ideal or you need to swap connectors before using? Sounds like you are asking CAT to weigh in on his maybe more recent ordering experience.
    Yes, it works. It just doesn't snap together like the "standard Magicshine connector" is designed to. They don't fall apart, but they could pull apart fairly easily if snagged. Likely not a real big deal.

-Garry

mtbr member
    In North America.

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2017-img_3179.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Excellent - Thanks for the follow-up garry. I ordered two.. so roughly $50 into each one of my amazon lights. I bought a C&B seen mount for each, battery garry linked and the light. Just now realizing I forgot to solve for chargers for the batteries... oops!
    Last edited by Mokang; 4 Days Ago at 03:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Just say no to Amazon battery packs! (Generally only over-priced recycled laptop packs of questionable quality available at Amazon.) Right now your best bet is Hunk Lee (FMA Battery / A-OK Battery) on eBay and buy from his US Warehouse. Here is a link to 2S (7.4v) batteries in the US. Here is my quick choice for you, a 2S2P basic battery pack. Only issue is the connector. It comes with the threaded connector which many of us don't want. The desired "standard Magicshine connector" is not threaded and simply a push connection. The two will work together, but matching them is preferred. You can request a connector (whether or not those are in-stock in US I don't know), but I don't see the "standard MagicShine connector" in his photo of available connectors. Perhaps CAT can speak up or anyone else who has requested that connector.

-Garry
    I was in need of a battery pack so I ordered the hunk lee one you referenced (2nd link), and as stated, it's the threaded MS connector. I did email him first about having a standard MS connector and think something was lost in translation.
    Either way I'm happy, and just a single wrap of good electrical tape will ensure a good connection in the rough.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just got one of these and am pairing it with an older Magicshine 808CE battery pack.

Would a pair of these be recommended, one for helmet one for bar? If pairing this with another light of your choice, what would you choose and where would you put each?

BT40s clone Neutral white on bar or helmet?

I have a Magic Shine 868 also which is much whiter light. In a previous post I saw someone suggest mixing a cool white on the bar and a neutral white on the helmet? I haven't experimented with it yet.

To stay Neutral White on both bar and helmet, I am thinking of another one of these clones or a YinDing Neutral White.

Any suggestions appreciated.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Cool white on the helmet. A bt40s makes a horrible helmet light. Meant for light close to you, wont be able to see very fat ahead which can be bad at higher speeds.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12