Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015

93K views 510 replies 52 participants last post by  zekia 
#1 ·
I think we should start new thread about new Chinese lights for this year 2015. I would love to keep only informative posts, short data, link to review, but no long discussions. Here is MK96 statement from lastyears thread: "Let's keep it clean so we can get a good overview and info at one place ;-)"

#2 ·
KD 2 x Cree XM-L2 U2 Neutral White 4700k - 5000k 4+10-Mode 2200 Lumens Bike Light wit

Let start with just published variant of neutral white "KD2" set with all tipical accessories ie. battery pack, charger, mount o-rings.

https://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023857

While we already know much about KD2 - see the review, we don't know much about accessories. I've got opurtunity to test the battery pack and I got it measured at decent 4125mAh. Not very high, but very usable to start with and 2+ hours riding. Definitively above the average cheapo chinese battery packs.
More I'll post in the battery thread later on.

#3 ·
I've got opurtunity to test the battery pack and I got it measured at decent 4125mAh. Not very high, but very usable to start with and 2+ hours riding. Definitively above the average cheapo chinese battery packs.
That's interesting! It used to be common for cheap clones to have 2p2s battery with 2200 mAh cells, but later almost everyone switched to complete garbage 1300 - 1500 mAh ones. Nice to see things are improving!

#5 · (Edited)
If you asking about the one I've posted in a KD2 set it's in the case as pictured. Not shrink wrapped. The connector is integrated into pack. Looks very sturdy. As I said above the average for cheapo chinese packs. The connector probaby not waterproof, but well, I would need to try, it can be somewhat weatherproof. I'm away for the whole week so can't take a close look.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
SecurityIng TrustFire TR-D014 Clone on Amazon

Just came across this SecurityIng branded version of the TrustFire TR-D014 reviewed previously here in glorious detail by MK96.

Product Purple Electronic device Violet Magenta

Funnily enough, looks like it comes with TrustFire battery pack. A bit less expensive then previously offered on any of the cheapo Chinese sites or eBay, and fulfilled by Amazon so quick free shipping in the States.

Am still waiting for NW version though...

#11 ·
Just came across this SecurityIng branded version of the TrustFire TR-D014 reviewed previously here in glorious detail by MK96.

View attachment 964963

Funnily enough, looks like it comes with TrustFire battery pack. A bit less expensive then previously offered on any of the cheapo Chinese sites or eBay, and fulfilled by Amazon so quick free shipping in the States.

Am still waiting for NW version though...
This lamp is using XM-L2, a big plus. It has three steady modes, another big plus. Are all LED's on for every mode?...That I want to know.

#17 ·
Sure!

With eight LEDs, that thing should easily outshine the sun.:)

Kidding aside, would be interested to see the tint. Suspect CW, from the pics on AE. So a little indoor spot shot against the wall or ceiling like you did for the TrustFire 7X (TR D014) would be great.

Assuming you have curtains. ;)

(I don't.:p)

Thanks kuzmami.

#21 ·
Wow, are those XP-L emitters really so much more efficient than the XM-L2s? Was reading over on CPF that low amperage was their forté. Apparently they are much cheaper than any XM-L2. Wonder how the colors compare. You gonna get one, Cat?

Cheez-its, I'm waiting on line at the PO at this very moment to pick up my NW SS 3X from GB.

#22 ·
I don't think the XP-L has been THAT big of a deal over the XM-L2 (general chat around BLF). I can't remember off hand how they are with their vF (forward voltage), if it's higher than the XM-L2 that makes it even tougher to keep max output (i.e. stay in regulation). What has been nice about the XP-L is the availability of higher bins. XM-L2 is available up to U3 (cool white only), but the XP-L is available up to V6 (at least - I only quick searched) and available with some nice tint options.

The XP-L is really just XM-L(2) performance in an XP-G sized emitter.

EDIT - link to a test at BLF. Higher vF, more ouput (due to higher binning), but don't handle as high of amps as the XM-L2 (though we don't push LEDs to their max in bike light use!). It's a nice emitter, but not really something to go crazy about. The higher vF requirement will bring the lumen output down to the XM-L2 level (perhaps even lower). Same thing happened with the XM-L2 vs. XM-L. The XM-L2 has a higher vF requirement so the XM-L2 will come down to XM-L output level at same voltage input once it falls below the vF requirement. It all depends on emitter arrangement vs. battery input too. This is why I am liking LEDs in parallel with an 8.4v input.

-Garry

#28 ·
About the XP-L; It's just a nice alternative to the XM-L2. Like was said, "Not worth going crazy about". I'm just glad when I see lamps get upgraded to the brightest LED's. I'm betting the output of the XP-L's are going to look nice coming out of the SSX2's. In my case It's not an issue because I already have brighter lights but if I was a newbe with little cash I would certainly consider buying one for the helmet.

Interesting thought; It's now possible to buy two LED lamps with a combined output of 2000-3000 lumen, two decent Li-ion batteries and walk away with only spending just over $100. Not bad considering just 6 years ago you had to spend $400 - $600 to get to that level of output. While it's true the more expensive lamps are by far the better quality, for the newbe looking to buy his first lamps the cheaper Chinese stuff is very inviting.

#29 ·
Amen to that! My XT-40/Yinding combo for $80 is a great set up. I don't have anything to compare it with, but if it is 80-90% of a $500 combo for the best lights out there, I'll take it. As you mentioned, $100 or less to get someone into night riding and have a great set up is fun.

#30 · (Edited)
Nitefighter® BT40S Cree XP-G2 Neutral White LEDs 1600 Lumens

Amazon.com : Nitefighter® BT40S Cree XP-G2 Neutral White LEDs 1600 Lumens Rechargeable Mountain Bike Light- Bicycle light Flashlight-Black : Sports & Outdoors

Interesting sort of a clone of a clone here. If indeed a 5200mAh BAK pack is included, then at $40 this package might be good value. Claim three hour run time on "Turbo." Manufacturer's site shows the cells to be encased in a rubber boot, not shown on Amazon. 4X Neutral White XPGs, apparently interchangeable optics for High and Low beams. Four brightness settings (on Up/Down rocker?) No Strobe, hidden Off. :) Four color, five mode status indicator. Loose lens pictured in box, guess that is alternative optic. Extension cable, velcro helmet mount. Big fat charger.

NITEFIGHTER BT40S 4xCree XP-G2 Neutral White LED 1600 Lumens mountain

NITEFIGHTER?BICYCLE LIGHT

Surprisingly, no NY tax on this through Amazon, huh.

Edit: Holy Crap, Amazon just raised the price from $39.95 to $109.95!!! :eekster:

Gosh, so sorry guys. :blush:

Glad I got my order in beforehand, only wish I'd bought two now! :madman:

#31 · (Edited)
#32 ·
Mothra has landed!

Happy Butterfly arrived today and I am half impressed.

http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S022912

With its 2800mA [rated] circuity, of course this 4X CW XM-L2 lamp is not appreciably brighter than any 2x Cree of the same class. OTOH, the four glass refector lenses do create a unique beam pattern: very intense hot spot, fading smoothly out from there with virtually none of the ringing or color separation typical with SMOs. Thing is quite hefty, all that mass keeps it from getting hot to the touch no matter how long run on high, even without ventilation. Was concerned at first that maybe there just wasn't good a good thermal path inside and that the LED board was retaining all the heat, but upon opening up the Butteryfly was relieved to see a fairly passible design. Couldn't get off the face plate, is held in fast, but from the back could see what appears to be about a 2 or 3mm thick shiny alloy plate cut to fit closely against the exterior case wall and sealed with thermal paste. Would have liked to see a lip around it but maybe that would not have been possible the way it is all assembled. Not sure but figure the four emitters must be soldered in series to a single board flush up against this plate, there is just a little odd cut out on top (behind the empty spot in front) through which the wires pass from the circuit board, which sits perpendicular to the cross section - there are grooves cut on either side of the interior case wall that support it like a shelf. Inductor coil so that means a booster driver, right? (Sorry I'm such a know-nothing here.) Anyway, plenty of air around both sides of the board, this thing shouldn't fry. Lamp might actually be under-driven, wonder whether it could support closer to 4A. Kind of a waste of the four emitters as it stands, I think. Though given the beams' hot spot, I'd want to swap out a couple of the lenses for wider angled ellipticals first. And of course upgrade to Neutral White... something for KD to consider.

Most interestingly, the power/mode button (four levels brightness, no Strobe, long press for Off) is self contained within the thick back plate, which is finished like glass. In MagicShine style, it illuminates in four different colors to indicate state of charge, and flashes red at the lowest. Most interestingly of all, and which is not mentioned in the product description, is a feature I've not seen on any other light head: When initially connected to the battery pack, or going from any powered mode to Off, the button illuminates for about seven seconds, then flashes ten times before turning off, after which the silicon boot glows in the dark. Thus, the lamp can remain connected when not in use without draining the cells, yay!

Sorry but as HTML is temporarily disabled, may be a while before I figure out how to link pics from my stupid iPad. Have to say, with its smooth satin finish and burnished red anodize, Mothra looks a LOT better in real life than in the shots on KD. Perhaps their watermarking KAIDOMAIN all over everything detracts from the images a teensie-weensie.

<crickets>

#34 ·
Is the optic used in the lamp in usual dimensions like the one used in yinding?
A little hard to tell, kuzmami, because the face plate on the Yinding is more deeply beveled than on Mothra, which utilizes instead a very thick gasket over lenses that I think are glass and are flat across, not conical like the YD plastic resin optics. Appear to be mirrored like reflectors, but shaped kinda like optics (can see cylinders over the emitters.) Actually looks to be same diameter as small side lenses on SS X3; seem shallower but again hard to tell with the reflections and such. Hex screws all came out of both front and back plates easily enough, but I'd probably have to sever the internal wires to push the LEDs and stuff from the light body. Not sure I could even accomplish that without cracking something, seems pretty well sealed together somehow and I can't see much past the alloy heat sink. BTW, connecting cable not secured inside of case, only a water-resistant gasket there. Typical!

Again, wish I could post pictures easily, but until I figure out how to do that, if you'd like you could PM me your email adress MK and I'll send you some. Am sure you'd have a much better understanding of the workings than me!

#36 · (Edited)
A simple sense resistor mod would likely kick that baby into high gear! What is the spacing of the 4 modes like?
Yeah Garry that's what I figure, Mothra certainly looks built to handle more oomph.

According to the Overview on KD:

Mode Arrangement: 15% > 45% > 75% > 100% > OFF (Long press for 2 seconds)

That seems about right to me, the progression is pretty evenly spaced.

#41 ·
Been off for a weekend. Thanks for the pics. There is a 3A limit due to the diode (SS34) and from what I can see the sense resistor is under the inductor. I just wonder what for are the 2 black wires there. Keep an eye on the uninsulated parts of the wires or drop a silicon glue (fujik) to keep them insulated and prevent metal to metal contacts. I'd also attach the driver to the body with a glue. It seems it is hanging in the air or at least bouncing in the upper half of the body. If the LEDs were in series a sense resistor could push them a bit higher. Thermal path seems fine also - at least the LED plate is glued to the body. I like the control switch has a special connector easy to remove. Many lights are hard to tear down b/c of the small switch.

Yes! We have lift off.

And break off.

Two wires delicately soldered to the power/mode switch came undone as I was man-handling the wee beastie trying to capture the above tear-down for everyone's edification and delight. Hope you're all happy now! :madmax:

:p ;)

#48 ·
I see a series connection too. It is just a doubled wire on the PCB. Parallel will run from the red "+" wire to at least two "+" sides at the LEDs. Here on the picture a series connection (red) and a parallel one (blue):
I don't think the wire is doubled, because the embossing surrounds everything including the holes for the wiring. So maybe there is a single conducting ribbon within those boarders, sandwiched between the front and back of the emitter board?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.