Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015

I think we should start new thread about new Chinese lights for this year 2015. I would love to keep only informative posts, short data, link to review, but no long discussions. Here is MK96 statement from lastyears thread: "Let's keep it clean so we can get a good overview and info at one place ;-)"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

KD 2 x Cree XM-L2 U2 Neutral White 4700k - 5000k 4+10-Mode 2200 Lumens Bike Light wit

Let start with just published variant of neutral white "KD2" set with all tipical accessories ie. battery pack, charger, mount o-rings.

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023857

While we already know much about KD2 - see the review, we don't know much about accessories. I've got opurtunity to test the battery pack and I got it measured at decent 4125mAh. Not very high, but very usable to start with and 2+ hours riding. Definitively above the average cheapo chinese battery packs.
    More I'll post in the battery thread later on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    I've got opurtunity to test the battery pack and I got it measured at decent 4125mAh. Not very high, but very usable to start with and 2+ hours riding. Definitively above the average cheapo chinese battery packs.
    That's interesting! It used to be common for cheap clones to have 2p2s battery with 2200 mAh cells, but later almost everyone switched to complete garbage 1300 - 1500 mAh ones. Nice to see things are improving!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    most more about your battery findings....did yours come in that nicer case pictured, or the standard shrink wrap and velcro job?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you asking about the one I've posted in a KD2 set it's in the case as pictured. Not shrink wrapped. The connector is integrated into pack. Looks very sturdy. As I said above the average for cheapo chinese packs. The connector probaby not waterproof, but well, I would need to try, it can be somewhat weatherproof. I'm away for the whole week so can't take a close look.
    Last edited by ledoman; 02-06-2015 at 03:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh, I missed that thread! I should had posted my findings here

Anyway the seca maybe 1400/900 clone from LM (head only) is on its way to review. We'll see what is it like.

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-6_led_bike_light_3000_lumens_3_mode_led_bicycle_light_headlight_2_.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ok, finaly. Then continue here and leave 2014 behind, it's already gone
    You should lock 2014 for posting if posible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    You should lock 2014 for posting if posible.
    But before locking, MK, include link to this thread, of course!

Looking forward to your teardown of the Seca Impersonata.

Moving right along:

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Solarstorms got a new design or is it just another solarstormification?

2-led light

Attachment 961654

3-led light
    Attachment 961655
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-image.jpg

Interesting mount at least.
    Last edited by andychrist; 02-06-2015 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

SecurityIng TrustFire TR-D014 Clone on Amazon

Just came across this SecurityIng branded version of the TrustFire TR-D014 reviewed previously here in glorious detail by MK96.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 8795
Size:  52.1 KB

Funnily enough, looks like it comes with TrustFire battery pack. A bit less expensive then previously offered on any of the cheapo Chinese sites or eBay, and fulfilled by Amazon so quick free shipping in the States.

Am still waiting for NW version though...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't think NW ever appears The price for 7 XM-L2 T6/U2 is ~$30 with an aluminium MCPCB and heaps of soldering work. The price of this light is ~$70 but you can find more expensive one also. Great light if one doesn't mind the weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Just came across this SecurityIng branded version of the TrustFire TR-D014 reviewed previously here in glorious detail by MK96.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 8795
Size:  52.1 KB

Funnily enough, looks like it comes with TrustFire battery pack. A bit less expensive then previously offered on any of the cheapo Chinese sites or eBay, and fulfilled by Amazon so quick free shipping in the States.

Am still waiting for NW version though...
    This lamp is using XM-L2, a big plus. It has three steady modes, another big plus. Are all LED's on for every mode?...That I want to know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This lamp is using XM-L2, a big plus. It has three steady modes, another big plus. Are all LED's on for every mode?...That I want to know.
    Sure is tempting with that easy Amazon return policy.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, all led's on. The light head is itself quite heavy but a massive cooling is very efficient even on high and standing still.

Meanwhile today arrived the seca clone:

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-img_20150218_085443.jpgNew cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-img_20150218_085459.jpgNew cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-img_20150218_090103.jpgNew cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-img_20150218_090133.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Meanwhile today arrived the seca clone:
    AND... ?

Beam shots, please!
    Last edited by andychrist; 02-21-2015 at 05:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    At 8:00 AM?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    A question regarding the seca clone. Is there a mode where only the lower row of leds are on?
    It would then be a possible alternative when bikeing in traffic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    At 8:00 AM?
    Sure!

With eight LEDs, that thing should easily outshine the sun.

Kidding aside, would be interested to see the tint. Suspect CW, from the pics on AE. So a little indoor spot shot against the wall or ceiling like you did for the TrustFire 7X (TR D014) would be great.

Assuming you have curtains.

(I don't.)

Thanks kuzmami.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dunno, I'm @work right now with the clone head in the paper box

mtbr member
    Awaiting to hear more on that Seca clone!

-Garry

mtbr member
    ....Meanwhile today arrived the seca clone:
    Excellent! MK96, the Seca clone deserves it's own thread. A lot of people want to know more about this lamp. Like the others I'm interested in knowing what LED's it is using and of course the beam pattern and UI.

Another Good find ( just moments ago ) > SSX2 and X3 using the XP-L emitter!!

Up until now, the X2 could only be bought with the XM-L U2. Never did see it offered with XM-L2. Now it has skipped over the XM-L2 to go to the XP-L. People looking to replace their old Solarstorm X2's or X3's can now get them with XP-L emitters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wow, are those XP-L emitters really so much more efficient than the XM-L2s? Was reading over on CPF that low amperage was their forté. Apparently they are much cheaper than any XM-L2. Wonder how the colors compare. You gonna get one, Cat?

Cheez-its, I'm waiting on line at the PO at this very moment to pick up my NW SS 3X from GB.

mtbr member
    I don't think the XP-L has been THAT big of a deal over the XM-L2 (general chat around BLF). I can't remember off hand how they are with their vF (forward voltage), if it's higher than the XM-L2 that makes it even tougher to keep max output (i.e. stay in regulation). What has been nice about the XP-L is the availability of higher bins. XM-L2 is available up to U3 (cool white only), but the XP-L is available up to V6 (at least - I only quick searched) and available with some nice tint options.

The XP-L is really just XM-L(2) performance in an XP-G sized emitter.

EDIT - link to a test at BLF. Higher vF, more ouput (due to higher binning), but don't handle as high of amps as the XM-L2 (though we don't push LEDs to their max in bike light use!). It's a nice emitter, but not really something to go crazy about. The higher vF requirement will bring the lumen output down to the XM-L2 level (perhaps even lower). Same thing happened with the XM-L2 vs. XM-L. The XM-L2 has a higher vF requirement so the XM-L2 will come down to XM-L output level at same voltage input once it falls below the vF requirement. It all depends on emitter arrangement vs. battery input too. This is why I am liking LEDs in parallel with an 8.4v input.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Apparently they are much cheaper than any XM-L2. Wonder how the colors compare.
    Huh? The XP-L emitters have been running more expensive than the XM-L2's.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well, the Seca clone's reviewed here. Make your own opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Huh? The XP-L emitters have been running more expensive than the XM-L2's.

-Garry
    Think they might be less expensive to manufacture. Of course they'll command a premium on the market for a while. XM-L2 costs about half as much per lumen to produce than XM-L, Cree is very up front about this.

Oh well, what ever the cost, I'd be interested in getting my mitts on a pair to replace the bluish XP-Gs in my MJ-816, if indeed the XP-Ls run whiter and brighter.

mtbr member
    Wow, are those XP-L emitters really so much more efficient than the XM-L2s? Was reading over on CPF that low amperage was their forté. Apparently they are much cheaper than any XM-L2. Wonder how the colors compare. You gonna get one, Cat?

Cheez-its, I'm waiting on line at the PO at this very moment to pick up my NW SS 3X from GB.
    Actually the XP-L has about as much output as the XM-L2
    I can't remember now which one is more efficient but I wouldn't think there would be a big difference. Right now the only thing I have using an Xpl is one of my torches. I will say though that I really like how the XP-L works with small reflectors. Looks like it does create a tighter hotspot. more than likely some people might not like that though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Actually the XP-L has about as much output as the XM-L2
    I can't remember now which one is more efficient but I wouldn't think there would be a big difference. Right now the only thing I have using an Xpl is one of my torches. I will say though that I really like how the XP-L works with small reflectors. Looks like it does create a tighter hotspot. more than likely some people might not like that though.
    Yeah seems XP-L is a step up from XP-G, which crams well into small recepticles.

mtbr member
    About the XP-L; It's just a nice alternative to the XM-L2. Like was said, "Not worth going crazy about". I'm just glad when I see lamps get upgraded to the brightest LED's. I'm betting the output of the XP-L's are going to look nice coming out of the SSX2's. In my case It's not an issue because I already have brighter lights but if I was a newbe with little cash I would certainly consider buying one for the helmet.

Interesting thought; It's now possible to buy two LED lamps with a combined output of 2000-3000 lumen, two decent Li-ion batteries and walk away with only spending just over $100. Not bad considering just 6 years ago you had to spend $400 - $600 to get to that level of output. While it's true the more expensive lamps are by far the better quality, for the newbe looking to buy his first lamps the cheaper Chinese stuff is very inviting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Amen to that! My XT-40/Yinding combo for $80 is a great set up. I don't have anything to compare it with, but if it is 80-90% of a $500 combo for the best lights out there, I'll take it. As you mentioned, $100 or less to get someone into night riding and have a great set up is fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Nitefighter® BT40S Cree XP-G2 Neutral White LEDs 1600 Lumens

Amazon.com : Nitefighter® BT40S Cree XP-G2 Neutral White LEDs 1600 Lumens Rechargeable Mountain Bike Light- Bicycle light Flashlight-Black : Sports & Outdoors

Interesting sort of a clone of a clone here. If indeed a 5200mAh BAK pack is included, then at $40 this package might be good value. Claim three hour run time on "Turbo." Manufacturer's site shows the cells to be encased in a rubber boot, not shown on Amazon. 4X Neutral White XPGs, apparently interchangeable optics for High and Low beams. Four brightness settings (on Up/Down rocker?) No Strobe, hidden Off. Four color, five mode status indicator. Loose lens pictured in box, guess that is alternative optic. Extension cable, velcro helmet mount. Big fat charger.

NITEFIGHTER BT40S 4xCree XP-G2 Neutral White LED 1600 Lumens mountain

NITEFIGHTER?BICYCLE LIGHT

Surprisingly, no NY tax on this through Amazon, huh.

Edit: Holy Crap, Amazon just raised the price from $39.95 to $109.95!!!

Gosh, so sorry guys.

Glad I got my order in beforehand, only wish I'd bought two now!
    Last edited by andychrist; 02-22-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: linky

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Nitefighter BT70 7*Cree XP-G2 LED Neutral White 2800 LM

And the BT40S's big brother, the NiteFighter BT70 7*Cree XP-G2 LED Neutral White High Bright 2800 LM Best LED Bicycle Light.

http://youtu.be/bfnUC1FMkI8

Must get hot as hell on Turbo. GoPro Adapter shown attached wrong orientation.

Haven't found it retail yet. Best price $64 but minimum order ten. Currently Unavailable on Amazon.

Think I'd take this 7X XP-G2 version over any current [CW] 7X XM-L2, because NW and 4*3400mAH Panasonics.
    Last edited by andychrist; 02-22-2015 at 06:46 AM. Reason: YT

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Mothra has landed!

Happy Butterfly arrived today and I am half impressed.

http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S022912

With its 2800mA [rated] circuity, of course this 4X CW XM-L2 lamp is not appreciably brighter than any 2x Cree of the same class. OTOH, the four glass refector lenses do create a unique beam pattern: very intense hot spot, fading smoothly out from there with virtually none of the ringing or color separation typical with SMOs. Thing is quite hefty, all that mass keeps it from getting hot to the touch no matter how long run on high, even without ventilation. Was concerned at first that maybe there just wasn't good a good thermal path inside and that the LED board was retaining all the heat, but upon opening up the Butteryfly was relieved to see a fairly passible design. Couldn't get off the face plate, is held in fast, but from the back could see what appears to be about a 2 or 3mm thick shiny alloy plate cut to fit closely against the exterior case wall and sealed with thermal paste. Would have liked to see a lip around it but maybe that would not have been possible the way it is all assembled. Not sure but figure the four emitters must be soldered in series to a single board flush up against this plate, there is just a little odd cut out on top (behind the empty spot in front) through which the wires pass from the circuit board, which sits perpendicular to the cross section — there are grooves cut on either side of the interior case wall that support it like a shelf. Inductor coil so that means a booster driver, right? (Sorry I'm such a know-nothing here.) Anyway, plenty of air around both sides of the board, this thing shouldn't fry. Lamp might actually be under-driven, wonder whether it could support closer to 4A. Kind of a waste of the four emitters as it stands, I think. Though given the beams' hot spot, I'd want to swap out a couple of the lenses for wider angled ellipticals first. And of course upgrade to Neutral White... something for KD to consider.

Most interestingly, the power/mode button (four levels brightness, no Strobe, long press for Off) is self contained within the thick back plate, which is finished like glass. In MagicShine style, it illuminates in four different colors to indicate state of charge, and flashes red at the lowest. Most interestingly of all, and which is not mentioned in the product description, is a feature I've not seen on any other light head: When initially connected to the battery pack, or going from any powered mode to Off, the button illuminates for about seven seconds, then flashes ten times before turning off, after which the silicon boot glows in the dark. Thus, the lamp can remain connected when not in use without draining the cells, yay!

Sorry but as HTML is temporarily disabled, may be a while before I figure out how to link pics from my stupid iPad. Have to say, with its smooth satin finish and burnished red anodize, Mothra looks a LOT better in real life than in the shots on KD. Perhaps their watermarking KAIDOMAIN all over everything detracts from the images a teensie-weensie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the feedback! Is the optic used in the lamp in usual dimensions like the one used in yinding? If yes then it is easy to replace and mix a personal taste.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is the optic used in the lamp in usual dimensions like the one used in yinding?
    A little hard to tell, kuzmami, because the face plate on the Yinding is more deeply beveled than on Mothra, which utilizes instead a very thick gasket over lenses that I think are glass and are flat across, not conical like the YD plastic resin optics. Appear to be mirrored like reflectors, but shaped kinda like optics (can see cylinders over the emitters.) Actually looks to be same diameter as small side lenses on SS X3; seem shallower but again hard to tell with the reflections and such. Hex screws all came out of both front and back plates easily enough, but I'd probably have to sever the internal wires to push the LEDs and stuff from the light body. Not sure I could even accomplish that without cracking something, seems pretty well sealed together somehow and I can't see much past the alloy heat sink. BTW, connecting cable not secured inside of case, only a water-resistant gasket there. Typical!

Again, wish I could post pictures easily, but until I figure out how to do that, if you'd like you could PM me your email adress MK and I'll send you some. Am sure you'd have a much better understanding of the workings than me!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback! A simple sense resistor mod would likely kick that baby into high gear! What is the spacing of the 4 modes like?

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A simple sense resistor mod would likely kick that baby into high gear! What is the spacing of the 4 modes like?
    Yeah Garry that's what I figure, Mothra certainly looks built to handle more oomph.

According to the Overview on KD:

Mode Arrangement: 15% > 45% > 75% > 100% > OFF (Long press for 2 seconds)

That seems about right to me, the progression is pretty evenly spaced.
    Last edited by andychrist; 02-28-2015 at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Okay, here's a link to some pics of Mothra and her little side kick Angle Eye.

https://flickr.com/photos/38426223@N...57651076813781

If this works I'll post the dissection later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes! We have lift off.

And break off.

Two wires delicately soldered to the power/mode switch came undone as I was man-handling the wee beastie trying to capture the above tear-down for everyone's edification and delight. Hope you're all happy now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    Sure is tempting with that easy Amazon return policy.....
    Don't forget that this light has some good upgrade potential..
    UPGRADE: TrustFire TR-D014 7xCree XM-L2 T6 4-Mode 3000LM Bicycle Light

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    In standard form, all the LED's are on for each and all modes, both steady and flashing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Been off for a weekend. Thanks for the pics. There is a 3A limit due to the diode (SS34) and from what I can see the sense resistor is under the inductor. I just wonder what for are the 2 black wires there. Keep an eye on the uninsulated parts of the wires or drop a silicon glue (fujik) to keep them insulated and prevent metal to metal contacts. I'd also attach the driver to the body with a glue. It seems it is hanging in the air or at least bouncing in the upper half of the body. If the LEDs were in series a sense resistor could push them a bit higher. Thermal path seems fine also - at least the LED plate is glued to the body. I like the control switch has a special connector easy to remove. Many lights are hard to tear down b/c of the small switch.

Yes! We have lift off.

And break off.

Two wires delicately soldered to the power/mode switch came undone as I was man-handling the wee beastie trying to capture the above tear-down for everyone's edification and delight. Hope you're all happy now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ...I'd also attach the driver to the body with a glue. It seems it is hanging in the air or at least bouncing in the upper half of the body... I like the control switch has a special connector easy to remove. Many lights are hard to tear down b/c of the small switch.
    Yeah I was surprised it wasn't glued or otherwise secured. But that little neglect did allow me to pull the board out for examination more easily! Will glue it back once I've taken care of the other little potential problem you pointed out and resolder those wires to the switch. Only wish they could have socketed it there same as on the circuit board, but it's obvious why that was not done.

Thanks for your great insights, MK. Will probably put this little monster on the chopping block when/if I am successful at making the requisite repairs. Great beam pattern and UI, am just not loving the Cool Whites and looks like they'd be a bear to replace with NWs, afraid I might accidentally tear the wings off this precious butterfly along the way. But will certainly give her a run on the trail before parting, just to see how she handles. Who knows, the CW might grow on me... like a cocoon. Yech.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A small note on the LEDs and the limiting diode. If the LEDs are in parallel and driven with 1.5A the diode hit its limit already.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A small note on the LEDs and the limiting diode. If the LEDs are in parallel and driven with 1.5A the diode hit its limit already.
    Parallel.

http://flic.kr/p/r8NPHi

Too bad the wiring is unalterable.

http://flic.kr/p/raxP7Y

At least the face plate is made as well as the rear.

Still scratching my head over this one. Why lavish all that material and workmanship on such an underpowered lamp head? So right and yet so wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    On this picture LEDs are chained in series...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I see a series connection too. It is just a doubled wire on the PCB. Parallel will run from the red "+" wire to at least two "+" sides at the LEDs. Here on the picture a series connection (red) and a parallel one (blue):

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-series_parallel.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    On this picture LEDs are chained in series...
    Okay now I get it, was looking at the two paths around the leds before, mistook them for parallel circuitry, D'oh! Would be great if Mothra's circuit board could be upgraded easily, but still the thermal pathway is not so good. Emitter board not in contact with any internal structure, just crammed into case and barely touching in four places. Needs to rest against a lip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I see a series connection too. It is just a doubled wire on the PCB. Parallel will run from the red "+" wire to at least two "+" sides at the LEDs. Here on the picture a series connection (red) and a parallel one (blue):
    I don't think the wire is doubled, because the embossing surrounds everything including the holes for the wiring. So maybe there is a single conducting ribbon within those boarders, sandwiched between the front and back of the emitter board?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Maybe, but to see that you need to scratch off the paint and that is not what you want to ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Maybe, but to see that you need to scratch off the paint and that is not what you want to ;-)
    No, I've done enough damage already! Still would be hard to scratch, seems like some kind of enamel or laminate over the board. The two channels running around the perimeter are inset, and the entire surface has a woven/microdot texture like a superfine screen. Pretty high-tech application in comparison to any other emitter boards I've seen pictured. Makes me wonder even more why the'd have gone through all that trouble to produce such a relatively under-powered lamp. I mean the machining on the red anodized face plate alone would be worthy of MOMA, it's like 7mm thick and absolutely flawless. Guess the whole thing was designed by a committe (whose members did not get along too well.) Too bad I don't have the skilz to metamorphosize this poor little moth into the magnificent butterfly it should have been.

mtbr member
    So you all seen this "13,000 lumen" 8x light? Looks like it would make your bike front heavy!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Too weak & outdated by today's standards. Use 15.000 lumen 9x one!

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 2505
Size:  25.8 KB

mtbr member
    Oh wow! And that one is even "tactical"! What are you going to do, rip it off your bike and throw it at someone (or something)?

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    No, just switch it on, pointing to the enemy. That's enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Nitefighter BT40S Arrived

No, just switch it on, pointing to the enemy. That's enough.
    Yeah 9X Cool White should cause anyone to flee in horror.

Moving right along, my new BT40S ordered on Amazon was delivered by USPS to the candy shop downstairs from me the other day. Grrr...

Well, it is shweet!

Rated 1600 Lumens (Measured) seems about the equivalent to my NW Yinding, in power if not color temperature. In the latter department it is very close the the NW SSX3, maybe leaning ever so slightly more toward the green spectrum. In comparison with Yinding, looks Blue-Green, and YD appears pink. At least no hint of blue; alone the color bias is not very noticeable at all, just your typical NW Cree, but this time in an XP-G...2! And there are four of 'em! With optics, not reflectors. So beam is as smooth as smooth can be; no highly defined hot spot, no rings. Does not seem as bright in center as any of my dual or multiple XM-L2s, but that is obviously because the NiteFighter has such spread. Comes with additional circular diffuser which seems like overkill, only an elliptical diffuser could possibly have any advantage here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/384262...7651076813781/

Lamp cable is not gasketed into body, but at least the BT-40S has been machined flat on the bottom to attach flush with the mount. MagicShine style connector, watertight seal with battery cable. Interestingly though, the male connector on the charging cable fits without a burp into the battery's female plug. Kinda makes sense, as the charger is only rated for indoor use and this set up makes things easy. Cells are encased in rubber boot, and the two-strapped nylon carry pouch is pretty well padded, really the best one I've seen of that kind (which might not be saying much.)

Couple things I noticed different about this package, not mentioned in product description:

Indicating LEDs only come on when the lamp is active, not just whenever it is connected to a live battery. Also, charger blinks red toward the end of its cycle, until the green LED turns on to indicate Complete. This 2A puppy was able to charge my MJ-828 to 8.5V, where as the one made by MagicShine that came with the batteries only ever got it to reach 8.4V, according to the back-lit display on the pack.

Control button in back is huge, and divided between top and bottom switches behind the translucent silicone boot to raise or lower brightness through four levels (no strobe, long press Off). Lowest setting seems not all that low, manufacturer claims 25%. Very subtle increments from there to full brightness. Cool feature to be able to go up or down, not have to cycle in only one direction or the other. Was pleasantly surprised that the unit did not get too scaldingly hot when run on High without any ventilation. According to the Users Guide the BT40S will step down to the middle setting should it begin to overheat on Turbo but that never happened while I was grabbing beam shots. Will have to let it run longer later under a fan to see just how many hours the 5200mAh BAK pack is good for, remind me to report back.

Haven't had a chance to take the BT40S outdoors yet and am really dying to. Will be interesting later to compare this lamp with its big brother, the 7X NW XP-G2 BT70, once that becomes commercially available as well. Head of sales at NiteFighter, Andy Wong, told me it should appear on Amazon some time in March, and that the orientation of the optional GoPro mount will have been addressed upon release.

Any of you guys still awake after reading this please let me know what crucial details I've left out.
    Last edited by andychrist; 03-04-2015 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Yawwwwwwwwnnnnnnn . . . I'm still awake . So this is another (better?) MagicShine MJ-872 clone. I have the cheap clone (see this link to my beamshots and current measurements) and I really like the beam pattern. I've picked up 4 Neutral white XP-G2's but haven't modded it yet. Note that 4 XP-L's would also fit into the optics with a recently learned optics mod learned over at BLF to open up the XP-G opening just a touch wider using a torx bit.

Nice light, but I ain't paying $110 for it.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yawwwwwwwwnnnnnnn . . . I'm still awake ...

...Nice light, but I ain't paying $110 for it.

-Garry
    If you're still awake, then you haven't been paying attention!

Anyway I only paid $40, caught the one minute sale on Amazon.

Garry, what is the clone light like with the XP-G?, MagicShine claims the same 1600 lumens. Twin XP-Gs on latest MJ-816 are very blue, even in comparison with the Cool White XM-L2 center beam.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes, looks like yet another MagicShine MJ-872 clone. In fact, MJ-872 (and its cheap copy) were probably the best flood lights I've seen - the only reason I haven't ordered neither of them was insufficient overall power.

Andy, thanks for information!

mtbr member
    I haven't used my 872 clone much, but the buttons are a weak point. There is some info on it around MTBR and I know I read someone saying their buttons quit working. Others also loved it.

Like I said, I really liked the beam! Very wide throwy beam pattern. I compared it to an SS X3 in my link above. Mine was a very nice crisp cool white (as shown in my pics).

There is a review of it in Russian somewhere if I remember (use Google Translate), but I might be confusing it with this same one or the original.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Funny Garry but on my iPad your shots with the MJ clone look very blue-green. SSX3 look perfect. Huh.

Guess there may be some difference between models as well, mine with the XP-G2 being more recent might have also addressed some previous issues. Buttons feel perfect to me, no space between the boot and the switch, similar action almost to SolarStorm. But the sentinel_cases Stealth is rather different to the NiteFighter, fins more similar to MJ original.

Yeah you did post that link in Russian to the NiteFighter BT40. There was also a video unboxing and lens swapping on YouTube, dunno if was the same guy, might have been a Ukrainian rather than a Ruskie though. Wonder how in the world he ever got a hold of one, there are like zilch other references to any NiteFighters online save for a German video comparing them with Gloworms. Was that one ever a snorefest!

mtbr member
    You know, I was having White Balance issues with my camera for awhile and they probably affected those shots (but not the SSX3). I even stated in that link that they pics weren't as cool white as it was in reality.

At $40 I'd be tempted to pick up the Nitefighter.

-Garry

mtbr member
    I don't know about anyone else but I'd really like to see some Trail beam shots of this new Nightfighter bike light. I know that its a magicshine clone but it is using neutral white LEDs so that does make it of interest. I do think however that the seller needs to drop the $100 price tag just a little.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cat, was it the NightFighter BT-70 or this BT-40S you were asked to review, or some new super secret model that you're not free to discuss yet? Certainly you can tell us, it won't go any further... I SAID SPILL IT. NOW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'd say $40 is a great deal Andy

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So you all seen this "13,000 lumen" 8x light? Looks like it would make your bike front heavy!

-Garry
    Now if the heat path is fine it can do the 80W and maybe more with XM-L2 on copper. Still I wouldn't mount it on a carbon fiber stem and handlebar

Too weak & outdated by today's standards. Use 15.000 lumen 9x one!

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 2505
Size:  25.8 KB
    OMG that is a "tactical" hand grenade. It blinds you first and hits you in another moment

It is still not clear for me why they use 7.4V source for the multi-emitter lights that need to run >25V. I can see a short life of the driver that boosts like a beast all the time to these levels from 7.4V and blowing capacitors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It is still not clear for me why they use 7.4V source for the multi-emitter lights that need to run >25V.
    Because of wide availability of 2S packs & chargers, I suppose. It's de-facto standard for bike lightning voltage nowadays, kinda like 12V used in cars.

I can see a short life of the driver that boosts like a beast all the time to these levels from 7.4V and blowing capacitors.
    In fact, step-up drivers aren't differ much from step-down ones. BTW, my 7*XM-L light still works flawlessly with that scheme (all the LEDs in series, power from 2S battery).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, mine dual 7-UPs are fine too. But many cheap lights blow the cap OTOH it may be a design issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Or underrated / low quality caps...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That is what I included in the design issue.

mtbr member
    Cat, was it the NightFighter BT-70 or this BT-40S you were asked to review, or some new super secret model that you're not free to discuss yet? Certainly you can tell us, it won't go any further... I SAID SPILL IT. NOW.

Originally I was asking for the two emitter version but I was going to wait till spring. Now I'm thinking it would cool to take a look at the ( 7-up? ) lamp they have but all depends if I can get back in touch with the dealer and whether or not that lamp is available yet. I guess what I'm saying is that it might not be up to me.

Now I'm curious, which of the Nightfighters would most like to see reviewed?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Originally I was asking for the two emitter version but I was going to wait till spring. Now I'm thinking it would cool to take a look at the ( 7-up? ) lamp they have but all depends if I can get back in touch with the dealer and whether or not that lamp is available yet. I guess what I'm saying is that it might not be up to me.

Now I'm curious, which of the Nightfighters would most like to see reviewed?
    Oh, was that the FandyFire-looking dual emitter you're talking about? Think that might be the lowest lumens of the bunch, will have to check. [Nope, new one is 1800 Lumen, 2x NW XM-L2. My bad! Earlier model only 1200 though, one I saw on YouTube.*] Anyway, as I've already got my mitts on the 1600 lumens BT40S, and plenty of NW dual L2s, would love to see a review of the 2800 lumens 7X NW XP-G2 NiteFighter BT70.

*Warning: Snoozefest Ahead

Ooh, just saw again they threw a Sigma Pava into that mix. I had one of those, what a POS! 20 min run time; weak green LED (I mean the spot here, not the charge indicator!); clamp cracked apart right away, and wonky power switch — kept having to remove all the loose cells in order to reset the circuit board just so it could turn on. Dealer who sold me mine never figured out that little trick and told me he had returned his to the distributor. Bleh. But that was years ago, feels like eons.
    Last edited by andychrist; 03-05-2015 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Guys -

What is your favorite helmet mounted "cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015"?

Thanks in advance
    happy hour is over, and I need two more gears.

mtbr member
    ...Anyway, as I've already got my mitts on the 1600 lumens BT40S, and plenty of NW dual L2s, would love to see a review of the 2800 lumens 7X NW XP-G2 NiteFighter BT70..
    Yes, so would I! I'd also like to see a beam pattern comparison between the Nightfighter BT-40 and the Solarstorm ( NW ) X3. I know it's not spring yet but I'll get in touch with the dealer to see if they still want a reviewer. I'll push for the BT70 but it might not be up to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'd also like to see a beam pattern comparison between the Nightfighter BT-40 and the Solarstorm ( NW ) X3.
    Well Cat, I've got both of those now and in a couple of days it should be warm enough out doors at night for me to take some comparison shots.

One thing I can say right now, BT40S doesn't have all that much throw, but then it's not really meant to. In that tedious German video linked above, they demonstrate each of the various bar lamps paired with helmet spots. Interesting how the lower lumen lid lights appear so bright over a distance, all on account of their tighter beams. Gotta see whether 10º optics work well enough in the [NW!] Yinding that it could spot for the NiteFighter. Too bad KD doesn't offer their little Angle Eye in NW, it's actually light enough (in both weight and lux) to hitch a ride on the noggin without too much sloggin'.

There are some new indoor beam shots in my Bike Lamp album now, might give you a general idea the difference between SSX3 and BT40S. Probably gotta enlarge to see the descriptions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Got some better outdoor shots

Was warm enough this evening for me to take my gloves off and shoot some crappy pics with this stupid iPad.

You can see how the two KD Angel Eye lamps with their diffusing lenses over Cool White XM-L2 and 12x SMO illuminated the front of the tunnel, while the Yinding contributed that warm glow in the top center inside it. NiteRider BT40-S spread over the entirety, helped make the tunnel appear uniformly bright, almost as if the light were coming through the tiles rather than being reflected off them. Now that's what night time mountain biking is all about!

More new pics at same link as above:

Last edited by andychrist; 03-11-2015 at 04:37 AM.

mtbr member
    New small Trustfire light at KD which seems to have a nice mount:

Don't care for the USB power connector or the fact that it's 4.2v, or the High-Low-Strobe modes, and it seems underpowered (if specs are even true).

I can't figure out the purpose of the slotted holes under the light either.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    maybe they are related to the stainless steel "attacking" head!

mtbr member
    By the way, it's listed on Banggood too with more pics.

-Garry

RAKC
    The things china keeps coming up with, but at that size should be able to get a good puck driver for it easily, crank that thing up and voltage means crap really, 8.4v systems are stepped down anyway. 3v is max rating for cree and it comes down to amps from the driver. Bring amps up. More light.
    Last edited by tigris99; 03-11-2015 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Oh, there's a dual emitter version too! Still only a 4.2v light.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for posting these. I'd say they use a 3.7V power source. Still it might be a boost driver in. OTOH it has to pull huge amps to be as bright as SS X2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Garry, actually the single reminds me on a more expensive slick light: Small Sun T011 Cree XM-L T6 650LM 4-Mode Bikelight with Power Indicator-Black(4*18650) - LightsCastle
    Without the assault/attack extensions

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That SmallSun looks nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey, that NiteFighter BT40S I linked to a while ago is on sale again at Amazon right now, dunno how long it will remain this way but they're aking $59.95, no now I'm seeing $49.95:

Amazon.com : Nitefighter® BT40S Cree XP-G2 Neutral White LEDs 1600 Lumens Rechargeable Mountain Bike Light- Bicycle light Flashlight-Black : Sports & Outdoors

Do I hear $39.95?

5200mAh BAK battery pack and 2A charger alone would have to set you back at least $40 retail. And that 4x XP-G2 lamp head ain't exactly chopped liver either. Comes with a nice little extension cable too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very tempting! How much did you pay again? (Too lazy to look back.) I'll pass for now, but at $39.95 I might have to give in. I realize $50 is a good deal; it's just a little much for me to shell out right now with other expenses. At $40 I'd jump on it and make it work out.

And nice review you posted over on Amazon.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Hmm . . . here's a light head only option for that nitefighter BT40s, apparently sold by nitefighter's ebay store. "On sale" for who knows how long. I'm probably going to buy this if it's still on sale by Friday.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Light head is a great deal!

mtbr member
    Yeah, at that price I'll take my MS-872 clone from Ebay which I planned to mod to NW XP-G2's and set it on the shelf! (I hear reports that my model has problems with the switch wearing out).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wow great find Garry! Had no idea they were selling these on eBay, and I'd been looking. Paid $39.95 for the complete package when it was on sale at Amazon for that one minute last time. Must say, the 5200mAh BAK pack lives up to the specs. But jeepers, just $23.66 for the lamp head alone, that's less than the Yinding! Similar Neutral White, interface and control buttons work better on the BT40S too. Different beam pattern, NiteFighter wider but little less throw than YD. Guessing lumens are roughly the same but I'm not the best judge.

Still waiting for the BT-70 with 7x XP-G2, dunno if NiteFighter is ever gonna release that one...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    (I hear reports that my model has problems with the switch wearing out).

-Garry
    Not sure if this is the cause with yours but noticed the first time I re-assembled the rear of my BT40S, the circuit board rotated a little out of place as the silicone boot turned against it while screwing the end cap back on. Corrected the alignment and tamped the board and nylon retaining ring more securely the second time, and made sure to hold the boot more or less in place while screwing on the cap. Works a lot better with the silicone arrows and inner switch stubs in sync! Though as you can see from the pic, stubs on board are 90º/perpendicular to the indents inside the boot. Of course, if they fit together perfectly, then the switch probably wouldn't work, there'd be like no travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Would this Nitefighter make a good headlamp or is it a bar light only?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubut View Post
    Would this Nitefighter make a good headlamp or is it a bar light only?
    I'd say it's probably better on the bars. At least that's how its demonstrated in that German video I linked to way up above, they show it being paired with a 400 lumen spot, IIRC. The Nitefighter beam has adequate throw but maybe not as far as others because it has such spread — comes with a swappable diffuser too, to make it even wider. But I haven't had the opportunity to ride with it on my noggin yet, have only tested it out with a head band to take demonstration pics like the one posted a little earlier today. At least it's not too heavy, most dual XM-L2 lamps in my arsenal weigh considerably more. Just the Yinding is lighter, but that's without the external heat sinking I felt compelled to add.

Sorry these shots are not the best, took 'em with my iPad which doesn't have user adjustable white balance or anything.
    Last edited by andychrist; 03-18-2015 at 01:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the info. I ordered one so we will see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How many is enough? The 9 emitter light that used to be a 7 emitter light. New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-sku_379485_1.jpg

There are now blue, red, gold and the original black color 3 XM-L2 heads only at LM site. At some point it is still tempting when the back of the light has a button that supposedly has to switch between normal and stepless. According to LM it is only 5-mode lamp thou

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2015-m03031_5_.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    There are now blue, red, gold and the original black color 3 XM-L2 heads only at LM site. At some point it is still tempting when the back of the light has a button that supposedly has to switch between normal and stepless. According to LM it is only 5-mode lamp thou
    Forget now, you know this because you asked LM or is this just from what it says in the product description? Because it could have five modes with 1, 2, or 3 LEDs plus Strobe and SOS, and stepless dimming in the three steady modes. Still not clear how you'd "click" between anything with what appears to be just a single touch sensitive control.

BTW looks like Amazon sold out of that NightFighter BT40S they had on sale earlier today. Says Currently Unavailable yadda yada. Hope everyone who wanted one got it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Depends on usage - where/how long, ... . You should define that first.
    In general you need 3 AA cells to compare with one Li-Ion 18650 cell energy wise. So to have decent runtime and amount of light we are used nowadays you would need 6 AA cells. I doub't you'll find much of that kind if any. So with AA cells you are more or less stucked on low output/runtime side.

Also this is not the topic of this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Forget now, you know this because you asked LM or is this just from what it says in the product description? Because it could have five modes with 1, 2, or 3 LEDs plus Strobe and SOS, and stepless dimming in the three steady modes. Still not clear how you'd "click" between anything with what appears to be just a single touch sensitive control.
    I asked LM staff b/c I wanted to get one. Yes it appears to be touch control involved here. The price is higher than most of other cheap-os. I might get one in future Still wonder why nobody pulled the trigger on this one

mtbr member
    May 2008
    just ordered the BT40 as my handle bar light. Any recommendations for a helmet mount light? preferably a longer throw than the BT40's on its stock form with out moded drivers.

It will be used for mtb night race (Each lap is about 1.2 hrs coz im slow lol). I have used the Magicshine 808 for the past 3 years and its time for an upgrade

cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    @ kpsxtyone:

Good question, and one which I myself am particularly unqualified to answer — But that's never stopped me before! Anyway a few things do immediately come to mind:

The NiteFighter BT40S's four XP-G2 emitters are Neutral White. Dunno if that was a factor which influenced your purchase but if you don't wish to mix light tints then your choices for an accompanying helmet lamp are a bit limited right now. Only budget models in NW that come to mind are the Yinding, SolarStorms X3 and XT-40, and Kaidomain's MJ-880 and Yinding clones. Of all those the SS XT-40 is probably the most powerful, but as it's not in my possession I can't make specific comparisons.Think GJHS here mentioned in passing that the XT tends to step down by itself even when running under ventilation in as low as Medium, perhaps someone else here can verify?

Also seems NiteFighter's circuitry is already pretty well optimized, wouldn't surprise me if 1600 lumen claim is close to accurate, at least "theoretically." Sales director wrote me the following:

"Andy, The four LED of BT40S is 2s2p, the current for single LED is around 1.4A... this is the information i got from a reviewer. Our electronic engineer on business trip,he not in office recently.... "

So am thinking you might want to wait until you actually have the BT40S in your hot little hands before making any decision on what helmet lamp to pair it with — Testing it out with your current MJ-808 might give you some idea of where you'd want to go regarding beam angle and brightness. I've found that even my iddy-biddy Yinding makes an agreeable companion to the NiteFighter, and you can't beat its [lack of] weight. Am sure though others here will insist the YD itself has too wide and short a throw for a helmet light. Eh, we all have our own preferences.

Hope you enjoy your new bar lamp, kpsxtyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow great find Garry! Had no idea they were selling these on eBay, and I'd been looking. Paid $39.95 for the complete package when it was on sale at Amazon for that one minute last time. Must say, the 5200mAh BAK pack lives up to the specs. But jeepers, just $23.66 for the lamp head alone, that's less than the Yinding! Similar Neutral White, interface and control buttons work better on the BT40S too. Different beam pattern, NiteFighter wider but little less throw than YD. Guessing lumens are roughly the same but I'm not the best judge.

Still waiting for the BT-70 with 7x XP-G2, dunno if NiteFighter is ever gonna release that one...
    The light that Garry posted has been around for a long time. Here's a thread about it
    Good Chinese flood for bars

I used mine for many months until I moved onto another light.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast